As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Working with polymer clay [dead space fanart]

curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue DealerRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
I was posting a few work-in-progress shots in the Dead Space (videogame) thread over in G&T....but i gave it some thought and this is probably a better place.

I used to do a lot of sculpting with polymer clay when i was younger, but it's been well over a decade since i've touched the stuff. i remember being pretty decent at modeling, but it was animals and small creatures less than 2 inches long/tall, etc.

i got more into graphic design in my teens, but over the past year or so i've felt my interest there wane. I found myself looking for a new creative outlet.

i'm a big fan of the Dead Space video game (horror game set on a mining space ship - an alien virus reanimates the dead and twists their bodies into more deadly forms known as necromorphs. protagonist, isaac clarke, is an engineer who must fight for his life using the only weapons available: mining tools). i purchased the isaac figurine, but they didn't make any necromorph figurines....hence, my decision to craft my own.

now, i hope i've not been too ambitious for my first sculpt in years, but i did a lot of reading and have tried to bone up on successful techniques.

the necro i'm making is the brute:
dead_space_brute.jpg
dead-space-20080925032429633-000.jpg

i watched a lot of game footage until i got the general anatomy and physiology down. (hopefully) :oops:

then, i let that knowledge inform me as i shaped the basic skeleton and support frame out of hanger wire:
5764IMG_1522.JPG

then i started bulking out the frame with aluminum foil
222IMG_1527.JPG

once that was done, i covered the armature with a thin layer of Super Sculpey Firm:
9678IMG_1540.JPG
4595IMG_1542.JPG

got the first arm covered. the clay layer is only about 1/8 inch thick right now.
3482IMG_1544.JPG

got the front arms and the face/back covered....it's nice to see the brute taking shape.
1693IMG_1548.JPG
7031IMG_1551.JPG

got the rift in his stomach covered - this is where the gooey parts will be hanging out:
4140IMG_1553.JPG

and finally finished - at least with this stage in the process. next: adding more clay, wiring the fiddly bits, and spiking it up.
8729IMG_1569.JPG

now i've started the detailing process:
4354IMG_1579.JPG

any feedback is greatly, greatly appreciated.

RxI0N.png
Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
curly haired boy on

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I guess if I saw this earlier, I'd have told you to start with those areas that are hard to reach, like those shoulder joints, and then build on top of them.

Anyway, the detail you have so far is interesting to look at, but doesn't really capture the grotesquerie that is the brute. You have to remember that the artists who created dead space referenced accident scene photos in order to get the look they were going for. Try to vary your texture more. There should be smooth spots, peices of bone sticking out, frayed muscle, etc.

Metalbourne on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i don't think the shoulder joints will be too hard to reach; i've actually got pretty decent access from the back.

i think you're right about the texture variation - i was just thinking myself on how to get that kind of lumpy smoothness. i've pretty much got the 'ridged bone armor plate' part down. i'll try an alcohol wash in spots to soften things up, thanks. :)

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited May 2010
    If you haven't already, google "smellybug sculpting tutorial" and you'll get an excellent guide to doing exactly what you're doing here.

Metalbourne on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    >googles

>reads

holy fucking shit

well, at least i got the base pretty good. i've got a few of those wireloop tools, i think i'll give them more of a workout. :O

EDIT: i'm gonna need more clay.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i think this is awesome.

can't wait to see more photos

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited May 2010
    update time!

i spent some time varying the outer texture seen here, and adding the smaller spike on the left. now the texture seems more organic and a lot less regular.

7845IMG_1618.JPG

after that, it was time to focus on the back of the forearm. at first i had started with this striated muscle...

1529IMG_1623.JPG

but after consulting my reference images once more, i realized i needed something more visceral.

so here i am adding some tumor clusters/open sores/generally nastiness:

1266IMG_1630.JPG
    1905IMG_1632.JPG

but it still needed more, so i just went crazy on the "eww" factor:

433IMG_1635.JPG

hopefully more to come this week - still haven't purchased anymore clay. this was done with some scraps i had.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looking good.

NotASenator on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah thats looking much more decayed now and less like barnacles. I think this would be a odd choice for subject matter, difficulty wise, but I'm interested to see how this turns out.

earthwormadam on
    edited May 2010
    thanks. i'm kind of surprising myself in terms of how it's going. i'm so new to the process that i don't know what i can't do, if that makes any sense. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited May 2010
    I'm really liking the variation on it. are you planning to paint it once you're done?

Metalbourne on
    edited May 2010
    yes indeed!

i bought some acrylic paints the other day when i purchased more clay. red, bone, yellow, and a smattering of purple and green ought to do it.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    they make paint called bone? Sweet.

Kendeathwalker on
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I kinda want to go buy some wire and sculpey tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for inspiring me to spend money I shouldn't be!

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm liking this, but one thing that the guy over at CA did was to lay down the actual underlying musculature of the animal. I think you should give that a go next time.

Jake! on
    edited May 2010
    Jake! wrote: »
    I'm liking this, but one thing that the guy over at CA did was to lay down the actual underlying musculature of the animal. I think you should give that a go next time.

i saw that! :)

you'll see more of that as i do the rear legs. the front ones are really this congealed mass of gore, but the back ones definitely have more clearly defined musculature. i did a few concept sketches of how i want them to look, so don't worry. :)

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited June 2010
    progress update:

9829IMG_1838.JPG

3811IMG_1839.JPG

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png