Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Real railgun successfully tested

2456717

Posts

  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    it's cool, I'm headed for Canada in a month and a half.

    I will live in the mountains, away from people, and obtain the peace I've always wished for.

    Horseshit! You're going for the over-the-counter codeine.

    League of Legends: Lamby Cakes | XBox Live: Jon Butters
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ham hammer wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

    wtf is going on in your avatar and sig?

    do you really want to know

    EDIT: too late

    you edited before I could say it

  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Kong wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

    wtf is going on in your avatar and sig?

    Well in the avatar it is i think the vulpix and pikachu version of underage catgirls

    in the second one i think it is a 10 foot pikachu railing a 3 foot misty with a 15 foot ash going

    Pikachu use squirt

    Who comes up with this stuff?
    Zombies?

  • ham hammerham hammer Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

    wtf is going on in your avatar and sig?

    Well in the avatar it is i think the vulpix and pikachu version of underage catgirls

    in the second one i think it is a 10 foot pikachu railing a 3 foot misty with a 15 foot ash going

    Pikachu use squirt

    i forget, what did you GIS to get all that?

    opprod84178lx5.jpg
    pokemon pearl friend code- 4897-2782-3202
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, this isn't really news at all, the Navy has been looking at railguns for some time.

    The big problem with rail guns is that they degrade extremely rapidly, the big ones usually dont last more than one shot. This is because when the rail gun shoots, the force that is exerted on the projectile also is trying to push the rails apart, possibly warping them. And a chunk of metal flying down these rails at several km per second erodes them and ruins them.

    So until I hear a solution to this problem, I dont think this is news at all.

    ragesig.jpg

  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Damn it, fuck

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Beating off my auntie.

  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.

    I suppose at the very least it's supposed to be cheaper. For some reason I can't help but doubt it, though.

    The Navy would probably just get more careless. "Oh, we've got more ammo to spare!"

    BEW BEW BEW

    CDIOl.png
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ham hammer wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

    wtf is going on in your avatar and sig?

    Well in the avatar it is i think the vulpix and pikachu version of underage catgirls

    in the second one i think it is a 10 foot pikachu railing a 3 foot misty with a 15 foot ash going

    Pikachu use squirt

    i forget, what did you GIS to get all that?

    ash ketchum

    and then to like a bunch of hentai sites

    which totally missed out on the obvious joke of changing ash's name to ash ketchcum

  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    it's cool, I'm headed for Canada in a month and a half.

    I will live in the mountains, away from people, and obtain the peace I've always wished for.

    Horseshit! You're going for the over-the-counter codeine.

    well that'd fall under the peace category

    xmassig2.gif
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.
    Shoe I love you for this post.

    Seriously. If I had to make a serious response to the topic at hand, it'd sound a lot like that.

  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    [quote=[Tycho?]]Well, this isn't really news at all, the Navy has been looking at railguns for some time.

    The big problem with rail guns is that they degrade extremely rapidly, the big ones usually dont last more than one shot. This is because when the rail gun shoots, the force that is exerted on the projectile also is trying to push the rails apart, possibly warping them. And a chunk of metal flying down these rails at several km per second erodes them and ruins them.

    So until I hear a solution to this problem, I dont think this is news at all.[/quote]

    yea this is the real problem

    they've had functioning railguns for like 40 years
    big ones even

    they just degrade too fast

    PS shoe did you know that there are more than one scientists

    and that they can research more than one thing.

  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ZeroFill wrote:
    250px-CS_SF_Striker_SAMAS01.jpg
    that is so a glitter boy
    You've been outta the game way too long if you don't recognize a SAMAS.

    This is a Glitter Boy
    glitter_boy.png

    japsig.jpg
  • KongKong Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Kong wrote:
    Raneados wrote:
    kovak

    wtf is going on in your avatar and sig?

    Well in the avatar it is i think the vulpix and pikachu version of underage catgirls

    in the second one i think it is a 10 foot pikachu railing a 3 foot misty with a 15 foot ash going

    Pikachu use squirt

    Who comes up with this stuff?
    Zombies?

    Zombies would at least have the decency to put us out of our misery afterwards, or at the very least, smear blood all over the computer screen to protect us from the horrible, horrible images.

    Targets eliminated: zilch
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    did you know that there are more than one scientists

    and that they can research more than one thing.
    Doesn't mean one isn't getting more funding than the other.

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.

    Ignoring the "let's make a new weapon" argument, I'd say "no, fuck that idea" because I do not want a larger food supply so we can feed hobos. That's just what we need: More fucking hobos. Let's engineer our whole economy around feeding people whose lives are spent stabbing graveyard-shift waffle-house waitresses with rusty knives and stealing their tip money. The economy does a pretty decent job of taking care of those who pull their own weight. It's not perfect or free of corruption, but focusing its energies on fueling those who do not contribute is the height of inefficiency.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    it's cool, I'm headed for Canada in a month and a half.

    I will live in the mountains, away from people, and obtain the peace I've always wished for.

    Horseshit! You're going for the over-the-counter codeine.

    well that'd fall under the peace category

    Are you seriously moving to Canada? Is it for school or do you have a job lined out.

    League of Legends: Lamby Cakes | XBox Live: Jon Butters
  • MendozaMendoza Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Kane2073 wrote:
    Have you guys every seen those above the influence commercials? God I hate those commercials

    Why isn't there any pictures?

    13_above_the_influence.gif

    Below the influence commercials would be significantly funnier

    the above the influence commercial with the alien saying no to the joint and then the girlfriend flying in the aliens space ship cracked me up

    Above the influence: for potheads, by potheads

  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    it's cool, I'm headed for Canada in a month and a half.

    I will live in the mountains, away from people, and obtain the peace I've always wished for.

    Horseshit! You're going for the over-the-counter codeine.

    well that'd fall under the peace category

    Are you seriously moving to Canada? Is it for school or do you have a job lined out.

    school/job

    xmassig2.gif
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    "Under" is the opposite of "above" the influence, not "below."

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.

    Ignoring the "let's make a new weapon" argument, I'd say "no, fuck that idea" because I do not want a larger food supply so we can feed hobos. That's just what we need: More fucking hobos. Let's engineer our whole economy around feeding people whose lives are spent stabbing graveyard-shift waffle-house waitresses with rusty knives and stealing their tip money. The economy does a pretty decent job of taking care of those who pull their own weight. It's not perfect or free of corruption, but focusing its energies on fueling those who do not contribute is the height of inefficiency.

    defender i love you

  • MendozaMendoza Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    "Under" is the opposite of "above" the influence, not "below."

    don't you mean antonym, Captain Semantic

  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.

    Ignoring the "let's make a new weapon" argument, I'd say "no, fuck that idea" because I do not want a larger food supply so we can feed hobos. That's just what we need: More fucking hobos. Let's engineer our whole economy around feeding people whose lives are spent stabbing graveyard-shift waffle-house waitresses with rusty knives and stealing their tip money. The economy does a pretty decent job of taking care of those who pull their own weight. It's not perfect or free of corruption, but focusing its energies on fueling those who do not contribute is the height of inefficiency.

    That being said, I really would like to be able to afford medical care.

    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.

    Ignoring the "let's make a new weapon" argument, I'd say "no, fuck that idea" because I do not want a larger food supply so we can feed hobos. That's just what we need: More fucking hobos. Let's engineer our whole economy around feeding people whose lives are spent stabbing graveyard-shift waffle-house waitresses with rusty knives and stealing their tip money. The economy does a pretty decent job of taking care of those who pull their own weight. It's not perfect or free of corruption, but focusing its energies on fueling those who do not contribute is the height of inefficiency.

    not every homeless person is a crazy lazy person, defender

    some people get screwed, get this, by the government, or large corporations, or just shitty circumstances in general. like, I dunno, a hurricane.

    some people, and I know this might just sound KOOKY to a PULL YOURSELF UP BY THE BOOTSTRAPS guy like you, but some people NEED AND DESERVE ASSISTANCE.

    xmassig2.gif
  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    did you know that there are more than one scientists

    and that they can research more than one thing.
    Doesn't mean one isn't getting more funding than the other.
    Okay, sure. But every time the topic turns to government spending on almost anything other than a select group of generalized "good things" like "ending world hunger," "universal healthcare" or "improving education," there's always a group that makes a lot of noise about superfluous spending and how we have no business pursuing whatever the current topic is (luxuries or military supplies) until we've somehow "solved" the bigger problems, or at least spent vast sums of money on it. It's a ridiculous thought, but on the internet, at least, you can't so much as mention anything but feeding poor orphans without drawing that response. I'm all for feeding poor orphans, but it would be silly to claim we can't spend money on anything less important until they're all fed.

  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    can we agree that the majority of homeless people are crazy and stabbing waffle house waitresses

    And you know i think its always best to work with what is the majority and not build up all kinds of spcial things for like maybe 5 dudes who are hobos with a heart of gold.

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That being said, I really would like to be able to afford medical care.

    Yeah I had to go several months without treating a hernia a few years back because I didn't have health insurance. That sucked.
    Defender wrote:
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.

    Ignoring the "let's make a new weapon" argument, I'd say "no, fuck that idea" because I do not want a larger food supply so we can feed hobos. That's just what we need: More fucking hobos. Let's engineer our whole economy around feeding people whose lives are spent stabbing graveyard-shift waffle-house waitresses with rusty knives and stealing their tip money. The economy does a pretty decent job of taking care of those who pull their own weight. It's not perfect or free of corruption, but focusing its energies on fueling those who do not contribute is the height of inefficiency.

    not every homeless person is a crazy lazy person, defender

    some people get screwed, get this, by the government, or large corporations, or just shitty circumstances in general. like, I dunno, a hurricane.

    some people, and I know this might just sound KOOKY to a PULL YOURSELF UP BY THE BOOTSTRAPS guy like you, but some people NEED AND DESERVE ASSISTANCE.

    I agree that some kinds of social programs are good and that we shouldn't just be like "HAHA FUCK YOU POORFACE" to everyone who has not. But I'm not putting research money into growing food for hobos.

    EDIT: Also, the more aid you give to, say, unemployed people, the less incentive you give them to get jobs. I am not saying that zero assistance is the optimal value, but I think that there should be $50,000 worth of annual support for someone who doesn't work, either. So I think the balance point is somewhere between those two extremes.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    it's cool, I'm headed for Canada in a month and a half.

    I will live in the mountains, away from people, and obtain the peace I've always wished for.

    Horseshit! You're going for the over-the-counter codeine.

    well that'd fall under the peace category

    Are you seriously moving to Canada? Is it for school or do you have a job lined out.

    school/job

    Is it the the University of Ottawa? Cuz that looked like a really slick campus to visit. I drove through the city on Canada Day weekend and it looked like it would have been a riot. Too bad I was with the fam at the time.

    League of Legends: Lamby Cakes | XBox Live: Jon Butters
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One time, I saw a homeless guy who must have weighed around 400 pounds.

    America. Fuck yeah.

    penguins.png
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    One time, I saw a homeless guy who must have weighed around 400 pounds.

    America. Fuck yeah.
    did he just get everywhere via rolling or what

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    it's cool, I'm headed for Canada in a month and a half.

    I will live in the mountains, away from people, and obtain the peace I've always wished for.

    Horseshit! You're going for the over-the-counter codeine.

    well that'd fall under the peace category

    Are you seriously moving to Canada? Is it for school or do you have a job lined out.

    school/job

    Is it the the University of Ottawa? Cuz that looked like a really slick campus to visit. I drove through the city on Canada Day weekend and it looked like it would have been a riot. Too bad I was with the fam at the time.

    No it's a small two year college in alberta because going to school in another country when you're not from that country is RAWTHER expensive

    xmassig2.gif
  • edited January 2007
    You guys, this thread is for beating off to unrealistically cool military hardware, not big blocks of text full of sensible debate

  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One time, I saw a homeless guy who must have weighed around 400 pounds.

    America. Fuck yeah.
    did he just get everywhere via rolling or what

    He should've gotten himself a record deal. Wesley Willis did it.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.
    Shoe I love you for this post.

    Seriously. If I had to make a serious response to the topic at hand, it'd sound a lot like that.

    I disagree wholeheartedly. Those "people on the street" and the people who make use of low cost housing have no right to them. You ask me to subsidize a man simply because he needs housing or healthcare when you have no right to do so. The force of one's need does not guarantee one any rights additional to those possesed by all humanity. In saying that because you are poor, you have a right to my money, you claim that you, who live on the streets subsisting from garbage and waste, are better than me and that I must forfeit come rights to you.

    I will do no such thing.

    Every person has rights, that is to say, everybody has certain negative duties toward other people. I will not force you out of your right to life, liberty, or the puruit of happiness. Why do people have these rights? The answer is simple: because every human has an inherent moral worth, being a thinking, rationing individual.

    Thus, ones entire moral worth rests on one's ability to make rational decisions. When you forfeit your ability to control your fate with rational thought, and instead subsist off another, you have thus forfeited all moral worth. Such an action lowers you to the level of the beasts, or worse!

    In conclusion, wow, apparently I'm too late, and all of the debate happened while I was typing this post.

  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    SUP LIBERTARIANS

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One time, I saw a homeless guy who must have weighed around 400 pounds.

    America. Fuck yeah.
    did he just get everywhere via rolling or what
    I don't know.

    Imagine being from some third world country, and seeing that. It must be pretty confusing.

    Edit: 'sup

    penguins.png
  • Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.
    Shoe I love you for this post.

    Seriously. If I had to make a serious response to the topic at hand, it'd sound a lot like that.

    I disagree wholeheartedly. Those "people on the street" and the people who make use of low cost housing have no right to them. You ask me to subsidize a man simply because he needs housing or healthcare whn you have no right to do so. The force of one's need does not guarantee one any rights additional to those possesed by all humanity. In saying that because you are poor, you have a right to my money, you claim that you, who live on the streets subsisting from garbage and waste, are better than me and that I must forfeit come rights to you.

    I will do no such thing.

    Every person has rights, that is to say, everybody has certain negative duties toward other people. I will not force you out of your right to life, liberty, or the puruit of happiness. Why do people have these rights? The answer is simple: because every human has an inherent moral worth, being a thinking, rationing individual.

    Thus, ones entire moral worth rests on one's ability to make rational decisions. When you forfeit your ability to control your fate with rational thought, and instead subsist off another, you have thus forfeited all moral worth. Such an action lowers you to the level of the beasts, or worse!

    In conclusion, wow, apparently I'm too late, and all of the debate happened while I was typing this post.

    NOO my beautiful egoist rant got bottom paged!

  • NucshNucsh Registered User
    edited January 2007
    influencearrow.png

    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Vivixenne wrote:
    hey why don't we work on a universal healthcare system

    or maybe some low cost housing or even a way to grow more food without fucking up the environment so we could feed the people starving on the streets?

    nah let's make a railgun. goddammit.
    Shoe I love you for this post.

    Seriously. If I had to make a serious response to the topic at hand, it'd sound a lot like that.

    I disagree wholeheartedly. Those "people on the street" and the people who make use of low cost housing have no right to them. You ask me to subsidize a man simply because he needs housing or healthcare whn you have no right to do so. The force of one's need does not guarantee one any rights additional to those possesed by all humanity. In saying that because you are poor, you have a right to my money, you claim that you, who live on the streets subsisting from garbage and waste, are better than me and that I must forfeit come rights to you.

    I will do no such thing.

    Every person has rights, that is to say, everybody has certain negative duties toward other people. I will not force you out of your right to life, liberty, or the puruit of happiness. Why do people have these rights? The answer is simple: because every human has an inherent moral worth, being a thinking, rationing individual.

    Thus, ones entire moral worth rests on one's ability to make rational decisions. When you forfeit your ability to control your fate with rational thought, and instead subsist off another, you have thus forfeited all moral worth. Such an action lowers you to the level of the beasts, or worse!

    In conclusion, wow, apparently I'm too late, and all of the debate happened while I was typing this post.

    not that it would have added much

    FUCK YOU POOR PEOPLE, I GOT MINES.

    xmassig2.gif
  • MendozaMendoza Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I just wanted to call Defender Captain Semantic

    and on another note; was verboten your word of the day, Knob?

Sign In or Register to comment.