As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Control-Command-D = MIND BLOWN! (or I was a teenage Mac noob)

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
A little background information: I bought my first Mac computer last August, taking advantage of one of their back-to-school specials by buying a MacBook Pro.

I started a new job for the summer, and we have several staunch Mac users at my job, people that have been using them for much longer than me. The other day a coworker showed me the instant dictionary functionality referenced in the thread title, and I thought it was one of the coolest little built-in features that I've ever seen.

I realized that there are probably several more features in OS X that I'm not aware of, hence this thread. I'd like to gather the collective wisdom of the Mac users on this forum so I can find out other cool things. Please keep this restricted to OS X if you will, and to shortcuts, tips, and tricks of this nature as well.

langfor6 on

• Options
    ReddfawksReddfawks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, I find it's easier to screencap stuff on a Mac.

Shift+cmnd+4 brings up a cursor. Click and drag it over the area, and presto! You've saved the selection into a PNG!

Sure beats Print Screen pasting.

Reddfawks on
    Current Badge Designs count = 311. Current sanity level = -311
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shift+Command+3 captures the whole screen as well.

I can never remember the dictionary shortcut, but my favorite attribute of OS X is simply that it's based on Unix so I can write shell scripts to my heart's content. Bash is a pretty fucked up language sometimes, but you can do some real nice things if you even know the basics. I made some scripts to help my parents with some things on their computer (they have multiple iPhoto libraries and share one music library, among other things that constantly create permissions and alias moving issues) and used Automator to turn them into double-clickable applications. Very nice.

There's also applescript, but I never bothered since it's also a pretty weird language and I've found bash to be much more universally useful.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Reddfawks wrote: »
    Shift+cmnd+4 brings up a cursor. Click and drag it over the area, and presto! You've saved the selection into a PNG!

Hit space when you get the cursor and it changes to a different cursor. Now click any window to take a screenshot of just that window.

Echo on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm watching this thread. I've had my MBP for a little over a year and the better part of its use is Safari + WoW + Parallels. (and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to take screencaps. The More You Know (TM) )

Or BootCamp into Win7.

I'm still tempted to pay a pretentious Genius to show me how truly awesome my Mac really is.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hold down Shift and use Exposé!

The Opt key works with other letters to do accents and things (Opt-U is for Umlaut, E is for Accent etc)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm watching this thread. I've had my MBP for a little over a year and the better part of its use is Safari + WoW + Parallels. (and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to take screencaps. The More You Know (TM) )

Or BootCamp into Win7.

I'm still tempted to pay a pretentious Genius to show me how truly awesome my Mac really is.

Well I mean that's pretty much how I use it too, with the major exception of it being my development machine so I spend a massive amount of time writing code in TextMate, Eclipse, Xcode or some such. And doing things involving said code on the command line.

But most things to do with a computer these days involve browsing the internet, so it's not like you're doing something wrong. I kind of like Chrome a lot better than Safari these days (since Safari's GUI & feature set is soundly stuck in 2004), though it's a little less snappy.

Time Machine is one very good reason to do as much stuff as possible in OS X. Adium is another (Pidgin really can't compare). I've found MoneyWell to be a fantastic budgeting app (at least for my purposes). If you need to make good-looking documents, iWork makes it so much easier than Office (I rarely ever touch it except to make a presentation though, since google docs is good enough for me and much more convenient). iLife is also kind of a big deal, but the only piece I really use is iPhoto so it depends who you are.

Tell me something you boot into Windows or run Parallels for, and I can probably suggest a reasonable or superior Mac equivalent.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tell me something you boot into Windows or run Parallels for, and I can probably suggest a reasonable or superior Mac equivalent.

My answer to this used to be Steam :)

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    if you like to game on your desktop/ laptop, there's still no substitute for windows.

most of the few games you can even play on OSX are crappy cider ports. there are a few exceptions i guess.

that said, PC gaming is kind of on the downswing anyways, and there aren't too many games that are unavailable on a dedicated gaming console or considerably better on a PC.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    if you like to game on your desktop/ laptop, there's still no substitute for windows.

most of the few games you can even play on OSX are crappy cider ports. there are a few exceptions i guess.

that said, PC gaming is kind of on the downswing anyways, and there aren't too many games that are unavailable on a dedicated gaming console or considerably better on a PC.

But hey! Portal is one fifth as likely to crash on a Mac! ;-)

Frem on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PC gaming is kind of on the downswing anyways

why do people keep saying this I play far more PC games than I did 3 years ago, as do all of my friends and coworkers

Azio on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Minimizing a window is easy, with command+m.

To restore it? Hold option when releasing command-tab.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Azio wrote: »
    PC gaming is kind of on the downswing anyways

why do people keep saying this I play far more PC games than I did 3 years ago, as do all of my friends and coworkers

10 years ago, PC gaming was your only real option.

possibly because of the prevalence and ease of piracy, or maybe because the broader consumer marketplace prefers closed systems like consoles, or maybe because PC gaming has historically been such a nightmare of installation and driver reconciliation/ spec chasing, "serious" PC gaming is a lot less prevalent that it once was.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ben0207 wrote: »

A couple of years back, a few of my friends had a lot of fun with this when they discovered that repeatedly mashing the Exposé key when Shift was depressed would cause it to continually slow-motion Exposé for as many times as the key was hit, making it impossible to do anything until the entire sequence was over. This revelation was the cause of much grief for the Mac users among our group :?

They've "fixed" it in Snow Leopard, though, by making it only Exposé once no matter how many times the key is spammed whilst Shift is held down.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Um. Which key is the Expose key? I usually just 4-finger-swipe.

@Lone: if you can show me how to reliably get USN Outlook Webmail to work properly with my Smart Card Reader, I will pay you may dollars -- in Oreos. (http://www.militarycac.com only goes so far for me and then I keep getting SSL error pages)

That and MS Project are the two main reasons I have BootCamp set up because I need both when I'm on the road for work.

Really, the DoD's reliance on very specific products and processes has me pigeon-holed into a lot of technology black holes (the largest one being phones with cameras; and before you people in the service say that you have camera phones, it's different for a DoD Civilian who has to travel to Shipyards regularly).

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    On a mac keyboard, expose is the F3 key.. the picture with a box containing smaller boxes.

Squeezing the side buttons on the mouse works too.

xzzy on
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmmm... random crap I find useful:

Useful shortcuts:

Cmd+shift+A :Applications folder.

Cmd+option+esc :Force quit.

One nice feature I've used for certain "sensitive" files, is using disk utility to create a password protected .dmg file of whatever folder I choose.

The character viewer is great. You can enable the "input menu" in the menu bar in the language and text preferences. From there, you can open character viewers for whatever language you're using. It's very handy for taking sciency notes, when you need all kinds of σρϕΔ‰φΩ etc...

As was already mentioned, you can hold down option while entering text to give you all sorts of characters: ¡™£¢∞§¶•–≠œ∑´®†¥¨ˆøπ“‘åß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬…æΩ≈ç√∫˜µ≤≥÷ etc...

Those into graphic work might appreciate the Digital Colormeter app in the Utilities folder. It basically gives you the RGB value (or whatever you choose) of whatever colour is below your cursor.

If you have a mobile phone capable of it, you can use iSync to sync everything with bluetooth. I'm doing that with my Nokia E71. It synchronizes my calendars and contacts in a few seconds, all over bluetooth. Pretty useful... and a lot easier than digging around for the right cable.

Be sure to use the following: Expose, spotlight (easiest way by far to find apps or files), stacks, labels (in Finder... highlights any file or folder... handy for frequently used stuff, or marking your place in a list of files)... yeah.

Also, download the iStat widget for dashboard. It's a nice way on checking up on CPU activity, memory usage, down/up speeds, various temperatures, etc...

And download an app called Seismac. It isn't particularly useful, but it's cool.

That's all I've got at the moment.

floobie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Of note is the ease with which one can type various characters not normally on a qwerty keyboard by holding down "option" and hitting various other keys. Kind of hard to remember the combinations though (but way better than windows). Off the top of my head:

Option+8 = bullet
    Option+2 = trademark symbol
    Option+u/i/e/backtick, followed by a letter = various accents
    Option+p = pi
    Option+g = copyright symbol

Definitely experiment.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Frem wrote: »

But hey! Portal is one fifth as likely to crash on a Mac! ;-)

Portal crashes?

I mean, I'm suspect of steam as much as the next time, but getting a crash for only about 40 minutes of game play (the length of time it takes to complete Portal)...that just sounds like bad luck. Then again, it is Steam...

(On a more realistic note, I was surprised that only 2/3 of Steam Mac users were using laptops. I expected it would be higher.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When you are setting up Screen Corners you can use modifier keys. This prevents you from accidentally entering expose or something when you are going for the Apple Menu.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    When you are setting up Screen Corners you can use modifier keys. This prevents you from accidentally entering expose or something when you are going for the Apple Menu.

Ooo, I didn't know that one.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Try this one for fun:

Command-Control-Option-8

(Use the same key combination to put it back).

Also, here's a list:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Command-Control-Option-8

I am disappointed I cannot hold these keys down for a seizure-inducing light show.

xzzy on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Holy crap. I'm going to play with this all the time now. Probably while making Six Million Dollar Man noises.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

Holy crap. I'm going to play with this all the time now. Probably while making Six Million Dollar Man noises.

Also works with Dashboard and Minimizing windows.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.