As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [Sailor Moon] Retrospective: Brace for more science.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And I added a music section. Including the dubs for you Rainy Day fans. :lol:

Nothing tops the Wiseman battle.

Also helps that he has an awesome voice.

I wish I'd never seen that Luna clip. Kunzite looks as flabbergasted as anyone would be.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When this came on tv where I lived it was right as I left for school, and this was before electronic DVR's so mother DVR to the rescue. I still have all the tapes, and I ususally didn't have to even watch the episode because my mom would sum it up for me.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, Moonlight Knight is a pansy compared to Tuxedo Mask.

Even has a lame name.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Here's something most haven't seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1RUtNNy_jA

Excel posing as Sailor Moon.

And that's Usagi's voice actress.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Man, Moonlight Knight is a pansy compared to Tuxedo Mask.

Even has a lame name.

Which is why I called him an asshole, even though I barely remembered anything about him. Except that Tuxedo Mask was so much more awesome (Seriously, the dude runs around with a top hat and a cape)

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What, nothing about the planned but thankfully killed US live action version?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The less said, the better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now I'm interested.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    You can kid yourselves all you like, Sailor Moon was nothing more than disguised hentai.

There's a particular term for it I believe which i've totally forgot. A word that's one down from hentai.

moe?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It wasn't that either, really it's just a show meant for young girls. I like it all the same like I like a lot of cartoons.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    WMain00 wrote: »
    You can kid yourselves all you like, Sailor Moon was nothing more than disguised hentai.

There's a particular term for it I believe which i've totally forgot. A word that's one down from hentai.

moe?

Ecchi? It isn't that, however. It is your standard show aimed at girls. You might as well call Jem hentai.

Couscous on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This has a place as one of my anime gateways as well, in addition to the Ronin Warriors, and the once-a-year anime movies they'd show on sci-fi - Project A-KO and Vampire Hunter D.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is a very unfortunate thread.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    silentsaturnsilentsaturn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sailor Moon, I still love you after all these years. It was a "gateway anime" for me too, but I shunned the dub on Cartoon Network. I was introduced to it by a friend who had the show on VHS with subs, and she let me borrow tapes from her all the time. I fell in love with it, especially the Outer Senshi. I liked that they were older and seemed to be more interesting characters. Haruka and Michiru were never cousins, DiC. *glare*

Saturn, though - she's the one I loved the most, to a sort of embarrassing degree. I love everything to do with her, even 12 years on.

silentsaturn on
    katamari_princewalk.gifkatamari_ballrolling.gifMarioYoshiPixel.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't care what anyone says, Sailor Mercury is the best.

Also, my mind was blown when I found out Zoicite was a dude in Japan.

Man...I was in love with this show. I even watched the live action adaptation that was made years later. Mercury was the best there, too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This was my favorite show as a kid. I remember my local comic book store had all the manga when I was little. I ended up buying the entire Stars section (which was only 3 books) because I heard that they wouldn't be bringing over the last season. Some of the characters I didn't recognize because they were from seasons that didn't air till years later.

I wonder if anything was cut out from those three books during translation.

Adellios on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I don't care what anyone says, Sailor Mercury is the best.

I have a little blue netbook, and a desperately want a little mercury sign sticker for it. There's something a little demented about how the idea makes me smile.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It took me years to finally watch Stars. Some animation shop in a mall had the fansubbed VHSs. I bought all nine for around $90, and was blown away by how good it was.

It really is the best season. It's like they knew it was their last shot, and went all out making fun of themselves.

S was also really good on the second viewing. The Tomoe/Witches 5 segments especially.

I'm not too fond of the manga, mostly because it has lots more villains with less development(Fish Eye is only around for a chapter or something), but it has its pluses.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love this series so much. I just need to find it on DVD. >.> Stars was the best thing ever.

Aurin on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So we were a group of friends that random age of 18 when the DIC episodes started airing.

Somehow we all worked 3pm-11pm and this was the best thing on before we went to work.

God this show sucked us in - we all started watching from the first episode too.
    And we all felt stupid for watching it as teenagers.

We used to sit around and bullshit about plot lines, read things on the 28.8k modem about changes from the Japanese scripts and just loved the hell out of it.

Then we saw Day of Destiny.

It's one of those episodes where you start reading alot of subtext into the overarching show. You clearly know what's on the screen and your brain clicks with the story.

Here is a teenage girl, all her friends dead, in the arctic (without a parka I might add) fighting someone who destroyed a kingdom before. Talk about the odds being against her. The world is depending on her.

Then we got the song.

God I love that song. It's right up there with the Transformers soundtrack.

Still one of my favorite all time television moments - all from a dubbed edited anime.

Boy I want the entire DIC run on DVD to show my wife. I am so pissed at myself for not picking it up when it was easily available.

useless4 on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    useless4 wrote: »
    It's one of those episodes where you start reading alot of subtext into the overarching show. You clearly know what's on the screen and your brain clicks with the story.

Here is a teenage girl, all her friends dead, in the arctic (without a parka I might add) fighting someone who destroyed a kingdom before. Talk about the odds being against her. The world is depending on her.

The darkness of it all is why the two part episode was cut down into one for the US. They felt it would be too upsetting to leave kids hanging with the other senshi dead.

It's also why they didn't actually use the word "dead" and said something like "gone to another dimension" but I've yet to talk with anyone that didn't think it was just some way of saying "dead."

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Sailor, Sailor Moon!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    useless4 wrote: »

The darkness of it all is why the two part episode was cut down into one for the US. They felt it would be too upsetting to leave kids hanging with the other senshi dead.

It's also why they didn't actually use the word "dead" and said something like "gone to another dimension" but I've yet to talk with anyone that didn't think it was just some way of saying "dead."

They also heavily cut down on Endymion slapping Sailor Moon around in the second episode.

I saw the original deaths in some clips from Ms. Haruna's Classroom(if you know what this is, congrats, you've been a fan for way too long), and the fake subs were hilarious.

Mars said something to the effect of "If I'm going to hell, I'm sending you with me!".

I thought it was the most awesome thing ever, especially compared to the dub.

Then according to ADV's official subs, that's not at all what she said. :lol:

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    (OH GOD)

Oh my eyes. I can never unsee!

It looks like some horrid cross between She-Ra (which I liked!) and some... weird... horrid, horrible thing that should stay buried in the depths of Hell forever.

Aurin on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The person filming the video has the perfect reactions. "Haha...is...is that a wheelchair? Bwahaha!" That's exactly what I said.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    This thread got me thinking about some of the funnier episodes and I've gotta say, I really love the one from S where Minako was obsessing over the fact that the others had been targeted for their pure hearts but she hadn't. And when whats her name shoots her with that heart crystal bazooka instead of losing consciousness like the others she grabs the heart crystal laughs and runs off with it.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, listening to the dub songs in the OP, I just realized...

They actually wrote a song about being Friend Zoned.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sailor Moon worked so well for a few reasons.

One: It's basically anime power rangers with girls. Just actiony enough to not put off all the male audience, not too girly either, but girly enough to keep its core base.

Two: It was the only thing on at the time like it.

Three: The first dub wasn't the worst thing on the planet. It's main problem these days is that some of the lingo is dated.

Four: Despite its formulaic as shit monster of the week shtick the overall story usually becomes very interesting near the end of an arc. Bad guys getting put out to pasture. Main characters biting the dust for a few episodes. Universe resetting after a titanic fight, that sort of thing. Gets old after the second or third time but man pretty exciting for an early teen me!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This thread got me thinking about some of the funnier episodes and I've gotta say, I really love the one from S where Minako was obsessing over the fact that the others had been targeted for their pure hearts but she hadn't. And when whats her name shoots her with that heart crystal bazooka instead of losing consciousness like the others she grabs the heart crystal laughs and runs off with it.

Eugeal, my favorite of the Witches 5. And S was full of comedy gold episodes.

In fact, it seems like every Minako episode is hilarious.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now SuperS was mostly not that good, but the end of it is probably one of my favorite parts of the entire show. They've beaten Queen Nehelenia and the Dead Moon Circus but she can't let them win completely so Queen Nehelenia proceeds to toss an unconscious Chibi Moon to her death. Sailor Moon being Sailor Moon says nuts to that and decides she's going to defy the laws of gravity and acceleration and jump off to save her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQi5cTeJvI

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Back when this was first airing on TV here I had to wake up at 5:30am on a weekday to watch it and for Dragonball 6:00am on Sunday mornings.

My cousin was smart enough to program her VCR to record this stuff.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I have a few random episodes on a VHS tape somewhere. Always fun to break out, since I included all the random old commercials!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Definitely beat out Power Rangers for me. Although it followed a Monster of the Week formula each episode was always working towards a consistent goal (collecting energy, crystals etc.). Power Rangers didn't have much cohesion between episodes, just monsters attacking cities. Plus Sailor Moon regularly broke out of the formula every 10 episodes or so.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PGSM (the live action) is one of my favorite shows.

I liked the US stuff when it came out. I saw most of the episodes of the first and second season. I tried watching the seasons after that, but uh. It was a monster of the week show, like power rangers. For the rest of the seasons I watched maybe the first one or two, then skipped to the big twist/power-up in the middle, then would watch the last two episodes. That pretty much covered the whole plot of the season. But I also watched some random episodes inbetween. Lucky I did, because I caught my favorite scene in all of Sailor Moon that way.

just skip to 1:40. context is a sailor moon fight inside her own house/dining room
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0fZYgxXx_M

1:40-1:55 is my favorite scene but the whole second half is hilarious, with usagi running around her house trying to find a safe place to transform without being seen. also 2:50-3:15 is great
    kdrudy wrote: »
    After the live-action show ended they had some special shorts on the DVDs. This clip is from the one where Mamoru is explaining to Usagi why he became Tuxedo Mask, it is his "transformation"
    holy crap how have I never seen that before? that is hilarious
    Also, since they didn't have a Chibi-Usa they had Luna transform into an adorable little girl, Sailor Luna. If I remember correctly she was actually kind of rad.
    yeah sailor luna was bad ass. she would bop people with a fan or toy hammer. quite useless. but bad ass. I remember thinking they added her to save money on the CGI cat luna. better than their previous strategy of saving money by shaking a plush luna doll instead of CGI.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So uh, this might be a silly reason for a bump, but I figure the denizens of this thread may enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLvpV_hE1M

It's the cutscenes from a little known(and pretty bad) Sailor Moon Super S fighting game for the Saturn called Various Emotion.

It had a custom animated intro, and someone went and fansubbed it.

The story's pretty hilarious.

Also, it had good music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=236UkkKTfjY&playnext_from=TL&videos=J36d-dU5YFw

There's also been a few interesting beat'em'ups based on R. Basically Streets of Rage clones.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ...No mention yet of Amy's semi-recurring love interest from (I think) the first season? Who's being hunted down by the villains for whatever reason?

FOR SHAME

That was one of the first times in a cartoon I'd seen a female lead character take on the role of protecting a male romantic interest. I watched the show off and on, but after the first episode dealing with that element, I was hooked.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How do you feel about a new Sailor Moon DS game?

Interesting, right?

How about if it were localized?

FOR ITALY?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So did it ever bug the living hell out of anyone else how Moon and Venus were practically twins, and not a single person in the show took attention to it?

I was certain for years there was a hidden connection about them, especially that episode where the monster accuses Venus of being Moon on account of her hair.

"It's the same DNA!" I kept saying. No one ever bought it, and the show never gave me the revelation I was hoping for.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There's the episode where Venus pretends to be her in the first season(I think).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png