As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A [Sailor Moon] Retrospective: Brace for more science.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Subspace pocket.

It's like people don't know about Hammerspace.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Wow. That new one is...needlessly bad.

It's not the CGI quality or animation. The problem is there is no need for that much zooming...sparkling...camera rotating nonsense. The style does not match the content.

She's just putting on gloves, for fuck's sake.

They both seem equal in the rotating shiny needless sparkle excess. I think the new one looks fine.

Isn't it the first transformation in the series as well? Those were pretty much always a little longer than normal.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I liked the one from Sailor Moon S. Where she spins around and he ribbons for the arms just fly in real fast from off screen.

It also was the season where her finishing attack kills the villains by smashing them with a gigantic heart, prompting them all to scream "Lovely!!" before they die.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I really wasn't feeling this. The animation is just too lacking in expressiveness compared to the original anime. The biggest difference is that the animators of the original show were willing to use off-model, cartoony expressions, whereas the new show doesn't.

Here's the most expressive Usagi was in the first episode of Crystal:

xupvypx018mq.jpg

And here's her expression in the same scene in the original anime:

rv94npsofzaa.jpg

A few more examples of the expressiveness of the original show:
    r5fvzfnusbpe.jpg
    260dpqs4dlao.jpg
    90wzdoemzcyw.jpg
    urfortdmscf3.jpg
    50w3hax3a35y.jpg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I really wasn't feeling this. The animation is just too lacking in expressiveness compared to the original anime.

It really is a Simpsons-esque situation.

In stills it looks very crisp and nicely designed, but the animation just lacks so much character comparatively to the old stuff.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Only miss 007

• Options
    Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Saw the ep on the 5th and have been stewing my brain juices on it for a bit.

Overall it did not do bad butt-stuff to my childhood, turned out rather decent, and I look forward to seeing how the new series develops.

I like the new OP Moon Pride (at least to the point where I can't get it out of my head), however I still maintain Moonlight Densetsu was better. MP is too topical, and is bright and fast all the time. MD had some slower darker parts to it, and was slightly more abstract.

The art design is pretty in stills. The backgrounds look really nice and gives a neat "watercolor" vibe, and the extra subtle details on the characters are really appreciated, however the thin lankiness of the characters comes off awkward in motion especially during combat.

The lack of facefaults and other "off-model" expresiveness (heretofore referred to as "Toast") really makes me sad. That was one of the best parts from the original. I hope they bring them back later on. MOAR TOAST!

The new brooch is fucking awful. The old series had the brooch start off tasteful and then get bigger and gaudier in each subsequent arc. Are they just going straight for the huge and ugly look from the beginning so they don't have to change the character stencil? (Didn't think it was as much of a cost to do that today with animation all being digital), or are they going to keep making it worse until she's wearing a proton pack on her chest by Stars?

Mamoru REALLY needs to learn what the term "Secret Identity" means. His costume is a terrible enough idea that he really shouldn't be walking around it it in broad daylight. Especially if he plans on breaking into and robbing a jewelry store that night. Also, Tuxedo Mask as a jewel thief, nice angle (+ points), however no concrete busting rose throw (- points). Although no trying to wrap my head around what would happen, in a physics sense, if someone actually threw a flower that hard so + points.

It was nice to see that Jadeite gets a proper lair, rather than the windowless broom closet he was apparently given in the original series. And watching him form the monster from clay was also a nice touch.

In the original series I remember thinking that Naru's mom was possessed by Morga and when Sailor Moon vaporized her she made Naru and orphan. It was good to see this time they showed Naru's mother was just tied up and not the one that took a flying magic disk to the face.

Decent ED song. Very low key and relaxing.

Also, hulu didn't show the next ep preview. I had to catch it from Youtube. Was that a bug, or did they just cut it from the episode?

Tangent:
    For the ToS Viz dub I was really hoping they would bring back the original dub cast (at least to the extent possible: RIP Kristen Bishop). No hate to the new VAs, although for some reason I find it hilarious that JYB is going to be voicing Artemis. Maybe I just can't the thought of Artemis in a black gi screaming, "BANKAI!"out of my head.

Gamer8585 on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I can't imagine anybody saying the original series is better if they read the manga. Crystal mirroring the comic closely is nothing but good.

For example - we'll see Mercury next episode and Mars the one following next (99% sure). 3 episodes vs... I dunno. 7 or 8? Just based on how quickly it's gonna move, Crystal is bombastic.

I can. Some things the anime changed that fans liked more than what the manga had (see: Rei's personality).

but I see most people liking the OST because of the animation and how goofy it could be as opposed to it being straight up pretty like Crystal

Mars is terrible in the original anime.
    She pinches Mercury.

Mercury!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The more I think about it the more absurd him wearing a tuxedo in that scene is

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Heh, looks better than Crystal.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    I can't imagine anybody saying the original series is better if they read the manga. Crystal mirroring the comic closely is nothing but good.

For example - we'll see Mercury next episode and Mars the one following next (99% sure). 3 episodes vs... I dunno. 7 or 8? Just based on how quickly it's gonna move, Crystal is bombastic.

I can. Some things the anime changed that fans liked more than what the manga had (see: Rei's personality).

but I see most people liking the OST because of the animation and how goofy it could be as opposed to it being straight up pretty like Crystal

Mars is terrible in the original anime.
    She pinches Mercury.

Mercury!

I'd forgotten that. Rei was great in the original anime....

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Michelle Ruff is a good VA.

Not what I imagine Luna sounding like but she's fine.

• Options
    Ep 2 is live. Very 1:1 with Ami's debut in the OG, but enjoyable.

Sailor V's hitbox must be tiny to have dodged that fire.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Orihime as Sailor Moon, Rukia as Luna and Ichigo as Artemis.

That strangely fits for some reason.

2nd episode was better than the 1st, a bit more expressive and better-paced. Mercury is adorable.

• Options
    Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Hey Sailor Mercury. It's been so long. And gurl you look fiiiiine

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    There were some things that were a little off-model when it came to Ami (QUALITY) but I enjoyed it.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    There's a whole archive of the quality screenshots. Some of it is grasping at straws (in-between frames of animation) but there are quite a few derpy moments.

I can look past that no problem, but this really doesn't look like a bi-weekly series to me. I feel that the two week waiting really hurts this series, especially with so many other shows to watch this season.

I feel that maybe Toei greatly underestimated the interest in a new Sailor Moon series. The huge ratings it's allegedly getting will hopefully result in a bigger animation budget in the later episodes.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Also they will probably fix most problems with the blu-ray release. In this episode the animators couldn't figure out if Sailor Moon had her gloves on or off. It changed at least three times.

• Options
    This is now a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orhh6TZ6qCE
    Moon Animate Make-Up is a crowdsourced group animation project to re-animate an episode of Sailor Moon shot-by-shot in each artist's personal style. From October 2013 to July 2014, over two hundred and fifty animators contributed at least one shot each to assemble a full length parody episode of Sailor Moon.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Episode 3 is live. I'd suggest watching it on CR, it has the preview.
    (and less commercials)

Mars is wildly different, but still great.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So, couple of questions. When does nerd guy go away? And also, does "Do you want to ride the bus with me? There's totally a super hot chick to look at" sound... creepy to anyone else?

• Options
    In the original anime Naru and umino vanish after the Dark kingdom is defeated. Then the show is just about the girls

I have no idea for crystal.

• Options
    They appear very briefly in Stars.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hmmm...

I watched the last Episode on NicoNico... It doesn't appear that the new series is doing so hot there. Amusingly enough, RWBY is doing better on NicoNico that Sailor Moon is.

Keep in mind though, the subs on RWBY are written better that the actual English dialog, which kind of says something on it's own.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    This was the worst looking episode yet. The amount of quality faces really hurt, and I have to wonder what kind of shoestring budget they went with this series. Aldnoah Zero and Terror in Resonance might as well be theatrical features compared to the animation quality of Crystal.

At least the Mars transformation was pretty....hot. ;)

Also, Sailor Moon does seem rather...enamored with Mars. I wonder if the borderline yuri affection girls in anime exhibit is meant to be a cultural thing (as in it's more about envy than attraction)?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'm curious how long Toei is sticking to one episode per chapter.

Because if they keep it up, uh, looks like the last episode of the season puts us just about
    in the middle of an arc, with the appearance of Uranus and Neptune?
    Act 26: "Infinity 3 - Two New Soldiers" (無限3-2人-NEW SOLDIERS "Mugen 3 Futari NEW SOLDIERS"?)

EDIT Wait, actually 24
    would be Haruka and Michiru's first appearance with the start of the Infinity Arc

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Wait! :o

I think I got it. Looking around, it might be based on the Shinzoban release, not the tankoban, which had around 4 extra chapters in it for the first two arcs (not sure if from dividing chapters up from the original or added content? Assuming the former). So if they do that, Crystal should take us through the Sailor Moon and Black Moon arcs, and stop right there before Infinity starts up

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Wait! :o

I think I got it. Looking around, it might be based on the Shinzoban release, not the tankoban, which had around 4 extra chapters in it for the first two arcs (not sure if from dividing chapters up from the original or added content? Assuming the former). So if they do that, Crystal should take us through the Sailor Moon and Black Moon arcs, and stop right there before Infinity starts up

Yep it looks like if you base it on the Shinzoban release then chapter 27 is the start of Infinity so one episode per chapter would take us right through the end of Black Moon.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    This was the worst looking episode yet. The amount of quality faces really hurt, and I have to wonder what kind of shoestring budget they went with this series. Aldnoah Zero and Terror in Resonance might as well be theatrical features compared to the animation quality of Crystal.

At least the Mars transformation was pretty....hot. ;)

Also, Sailor Moon does seem rather...enamored with Mars. I wonder if the borderline yuri affection girls in anime exhibit is meant to be a cultural thing (as in it's more about envy than attraction)?

I've heard the argument that Toei for whatever reason(presumably due to Toei owning Pretty Cure outright versus Sailor Moon being licensed, though that's just speculation) that Toei didn't actually want to do the Sailor Moon remake but ultimately had to due to contractual obligations. I was skeptic at first, but given that Sailor Moon Crystal was delayed several times, and the some of the frankly questionable animation issues from a studio that can just DO better, I'm increasing starting to wonder if there's something to that(moreso if one remembers that Toei wasn't too hot on Sailor Moon way back in the day, hence the number of changes between the original anime and manga).

As for Usagi's attraction to Rei..... Usagi in the manga is pretty unquestionably bi-curious at the least, if not canonically bi-sexual. At bare minimum, she kisses Haruka(Uranus) and is attracted to Haruka while under the impression that Haruka is a man, states she wouldn't mind kissing Haruka again, then finds out that Haruka is a women and after she finds out, still says she'd kiss Haruka and nothing changed. And that's before the number of other girls she finds pretty/attractive and the Sailor Cosmos bit.

• Options
    Im disliking the complete lack of emotion on the girls. Usagi is basically stone faced.

The rest is okay. I hope it gets better

Oh Using the pen to become a stweardess still makes no sense and Im glad they admitted it.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    There is a tiny chance that turning into a stewardess could make sense in the mind of a 14 year old, but certainly from the outside looking in it was just completely pointless.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    There is a tiny chance that turning into a stewardess could make sense in the mind of a 14 year old, but certainly from the outside looking in it was just completely pointless.

"I have this magic pen! Surely this will help in someway! BUS!!"

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    The answer is "that's what happened in the manga"

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Gamer8585Gamer8585 Registered User regular
    As for Usagi's attraction to Rei..... Usagi in the manga is pretty unquestionably bi-curious at the least, if not canonically bi-sexual. At bare minimum, she kisses Haruka(Uranus) and is attracted to Haruka while under the impression that Haruka is a man, states she wouldn't mind kissing Haruka again, then finds out that Haruka is a women and after she finds out, still says she'd kiss Haruka and nothing changed. And that's before the number of other girls she finds pretty/attractive and the Sailor Cosmos bit.

Oh, I was wondering what was up with the less then subtle lesbianism in the last two episodes. It was flagrant enough to not be an accident, but not graphic enough to be a shameless marketing ploy. In ep. 2 I thought it was just a weird translation issue, but when Usagi got hearts in her eyes (mmmmm Toast..nom-nom) when looking at Rei I was starting to become a bit concerned. Glad to know its not a crass play for raitings/page views.

Anyway, I was way too amused with how Rei took out Jadeite. In brief:

Jadeite: Imma win now!
    Rei: Kill you with Fire!!!
    Jadeite: I am burning! My evil plan is foiled!

Still don't know if I like this more then getting an airplane to run over him though, but its close.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Yeah. Sailor Moon as legit straight, gay, and bi characters rather than fanservice pseudo!yuri for marketing reasons.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Gamer8585 wrote: »

Oh, I was wondering what was up with the less then subtle lesbianism in the last two episodes. It was flagrant enough to not be an accident, but not graphic enough to be a shameless marketing ploy. In ep. 2 I thought it was just a weird translation issue, but when Usagi got hearts in her eyes (mmmmm Toast..nom-nom) when looking at Rei I was starting to become a bit concerned. Glad to know its not a crass play for raitings/page views.

Still don't know if I like this more then getting an airplane to run over him though, but its close.
    I dont think hes dead yet.

• Options
    Gamer8585 wrote: »

It wasn't the airplane that did him in, it was Queen Beryl pulling a Sub-Zero on him.

I always found it amusing that the DiC version, as a way to "censor" his death, instead had him succumb to "eternal sleep", with the added line that he would "experience an eternity of the most profound darkness."

That shit sounds way worse than death. D: