As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cowboys vs Cougars! Red Dead Redemption

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Social Entropy++
cougarn.jpg

WaM made the last OP, and I used most of that, but the quoting was making everything tiny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD24M...eature=related

The game is set in 1908; it focuses around a former outlaw, John Marston, who is sent across the troubled American Frontiers to help in bringing the rule of law. It was revealed in the trailer that Marston has come to kill or capture his former gang partner Bill Williamson. Along the way Marston moves through more Territories including to assisting rebel soldier Abraham Raias into a Revolution against the Mexican Army in 1910.

The game will use open world gameplay similar to the Grand Theft Auto series with sandbox environments and a free-roaming ability. The environments will include frontier towns, prairies, and mountain passes. Realistic horses created with the Euphoria animation engine will play a major part of the game's transport. The game will also feature over 40 different types of animals that can be hunted, realistic weather changes (including seasons) and the ability to ride trains to travel to certain places faster. These animals include: Horses, Mules, cows, bison, bears, mountain lions, deer, dogs, coyotes, wolves, rabbits, armadillos, snakes, vultures, ducks, chickens, and more yet to be discovered.

People playing this:
Javen - TheFlyingJaven
usagi - JessAround
Penguin Incarnate - Penguin Inc
Ramen Noodle - Ramenamen
msuitepyon - msuitepyon
Bucketman - The Bucketman
bongi - bongitrs
Man of the Waves - BuckarooHoliday
Veretas- Utterly Jewish
stale - EA stalegb
World as Myth - worldasmyth
Hunter - Hunter1253
Mysst - Mysst
Smart Hero - smarthero
GRMike - GRMike
101 - GJM101
KingMole - Kaddion
CorporateLogo - CorpLogo
Artreus - Atlanticus
Abraham Lincoln - APERTURESC1ENCE
NotACrook - NotoriousBPG
Graves - Prof G
Snowbeat - againstreet
PiptheFair - pipthefair
Scudo - Scud0
Ten - Ten0101
smof - ear cataracts
Zephos - Penguin McCool
Balefuego - Balefuego
Geebs - thegeebs
spono - Spono Wolf
satansfingers - satansfingers
Beef Avenger - DethCopter
Awko - Awko
ShimSham - ShimmitySham
Aretè - Ninjafrizz
Vann Diras - Vann Diras
gurusloth - gurusloth
The Far Side - The Near Middle
TheClarkster - BobaClark
Captain Cthulhu - Seven de Luxe
Malach - Lynch2028
LookFreeGrenade - lookfreegrenade
Kantankeris - Tankhammer
webguy20 - Discgolfer28
gazamc - Chuwero
humble - the Bat

PS3
natek - natek7
IpseDixit - IamTetsuo
King Nada-- KingNada
TLB - thedivankopile
QuestionMarkMan - QuestionMarkMan
pipe - hashpipe
DouglasDanger - DouglasDanger
Kuribo's Shoe - kuribosshoe
Kochikens - Kochikens
lostwords - lostwords
Olivaw - DetectiveOlivaw
barcardi - ArchTeckGuru
joshofalltrades - joshofalltrades3
Mostlyjoe13 - Mostlyjoe
Staleghoti - Clintown
Retaba - Obscuras

PiptheFair wrote: »
SPOILERS FOR TREASURE LOCATIONS

Dueling
dueling
if my favourite animal were turned into a terrifying murderbeast by a video game, i would be pretty entertained

also people who wonder how duels work:

LT draws your gun immediately
Tilting your right stick moves your hand closer to the gun and might make the other guy draw first (making him less accurate)
If he draws first, the screen will say DRAW and you should hit LT to get your gun out

At this point, you have to move your reticle to where you want to shoot, mark those locations (up to the number of bullets you have) with RT and, if you pick the right locations, fill up your bar in the bottom right before the enemy does.

The reticle will pulse - when it's small and white is the most accurate time to hit RT and put a mark on. When it's red, it's less accurate.

If you drew first, you'll be less accurate, so each mark will fill up the meter a bit less.

More vital areas fill up the meter more quickly. You can also be dramatic and shoot the guy's gun or hat to instantly fill the meter, leaving them alive, or go for a one-shot kill to the head or (rumored) heart.
Beezel wrote: »
Shens wrote: »
Threepio wrote: »
Okay, seriously, what's up with the fucking dueling?

Yeah, I really don't get it either. The first two I was smooth as fuck and was able to shoot guns out of people's hands. Apparently, I had no fucking clue what I was doing. I just got into a duel... I saw the DRAW!!! pop up and my dude just sat there as I started mashing buttons.

What is the correct sequence for dueling that doesn't involve voodoo?

As soon as the "Draw!" pops up, wait a split second then hold L2(or xbox equiv which I guess would be LT) The painter pops up starting near his feet. Paint what you want with R2(RT) but I think there's some sort of weird priority rock/paper/scissors system for what you pick. I usually just go for the arm/hand before the enemy's "cast bar" fills and that ends the duel instantly. One time I painted the arm and just to be a dick, painted the other 7 shots on the dude's head. So not only did I disarm him, I got the pleasure of watching his face explode immediately after.

Cheats, when which guns are unlocked, etc

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Next time someone wants to play multiplayer with me and I tell them that I am still new to the game, having everyone focus-fire on me every time I spawn is not a good way to encourage me to continue to play.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Were you in a posse at the time

Whenever I'm in a posse anytime some random dude comes up the rest of the posse destroys him

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so do you get something for haveing all the gold at once or can i just sell it as i get it?

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I sold mine... but that isn't a very good answer to your question.

GRMike on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so do you get something for haveing all the gold at once or can i just sell it as i get it?

You get to leave the island.

Wait, crossing threads again, shit.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Probably best to sell when you have higher fame and honor, to get the best selling price. But it looks like they aren't story-important

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    hey doggies why I ain't on the list of ps3 red dead people

thedivankopile is my ps3

we should posse up sometime this weekend

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am thinking of getting an arcade and slapping my old HDD on there. That's perfectly fine I assume, yeah?

My old one didn't RRoD, but the video card conked out, and the fan is so loud/grindy that I get headaches after playing for like 15 minutes. I just need a box I think. Then I can play this wonderful game that you all talk about.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    Can you please add me to the OP list

my thingybob is bongitrs

bongi on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So apparently the other day Bongi invited me to multiplayer, but it was my brother-in-law playing so he wasn't sure of the invite. I told him "it's someone from the forum I go to...he's a cool guy if you want to multiplayer".

So his response is "he's not some weirdo foreigner or gay" to which I respond "yes and yes, but it's not like he's going to fuck you in the ass and then serve you tea and biscuits via the intertrons so who cares if he's English or gay". I guess he ignored your invite then.

My bro-in-law is OK people, but damn is he a fucking homophobic. My guess is he wants a hot cock so bad he can't even tempt himself to be near a homosexual.

Hunter on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That conversation is hilarious when I imagine it.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    So apparently the other day Bongi invited me to multiplayer, but it was my brother-in-law playing so he wasn't sure of the invite. I told him "it's someone from the forum I go to...he's a cool guy if you want to multiplayer".

So his response is "he's not some weirdo foreigner or gay" to which I respond "yes and yes, but it's not like he's going to fuck you in the ass and then serve you tea and biscuits via the intertrons so who cares if he's English or gay". I guess he ignored your invite then.

My bro-in-law is OK people, but damn is he a fucking homophobic. My guess is he wants a hot cock so bad he can't even tempt himself to be near a homosexual.

Actually you're wrong I actually can fuck him in the ass and serve him tea and biscuits
    It's an exploit

bongi on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pull a "Police Academy" on him. Trick him so that he ends up going into a gay bar one night without warning him and let nature take its course.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Next time someone wants to play multiplayer with me and I tell them that I am still new to the game, having everyone focus-fire on me every time I spawn is not a good way to encourage me to continue to play.

It would also help if you weren't incredibly quiet so we could actually hear you.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting an arcade and slapping my old HDD on there. That's perfectly fine I assume, yeah?

My old one didn't RRoD, but the video card conked out, and the fan is so loud/grindy that I get headaches after playing for like 15 minutes. I just need a box I think. Then I can play this wonderful game that you all talk about.

Yeah you can do this. I did this with my latest incarnation.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just completed the main story.
    Man those government guys are dicks.

Fun shoot-out though

101 on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish you could draw your weapon or at least fisticuffs when you are staggering around drunk

I want to start a drunken brawl

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    add me on this,

360 - EA stalegb

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i need to quit dicking around and get my new 360 hooked up to the net

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just bought the semi-auto pistol and the semi-auto shotgun at Escalera.

I felt pretty awful burning those houses with De Santa. It is a Rockstar game, so I imagine you will eventually side with the rebels rather than Army, but man I felt pretty bad. Army dudes are all rounding women for their leader. Geez.

bongi, is that ps3 or 360?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SoaL wrote: »
    I wish you could draw your weapon or at least fisticuffs when you are staggering around drunk

Yeah, how do you start drunken fights in a saloon exactly

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SoaL wrote: »

Yeah, how do you start drunken fights in a saloon exactly

Step 1. drink

Step 2. punch somebody

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just pick somebody out, and punch them.

GRMike on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dang I should probably do more story stuff

I got like 8 or so hours into the game and I ain't even got a lasso

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I just bought the semi-auto pistol and the semi-auto shotgun at Escalera.

I felt pretty awful burning those houses with De Santa. It is a Rockstar game, so I imagine you will eventually side with the rebels rather than Army, but man I felt pretty bad. Army dudes are all rounding women for their leader. Geez.

bongi, is that ps3 or 360?

Yeah, I stood there a while hoping the guy would get angry and I wouldn't have to do it. Then I shot him and failed the mission.

So I did it and then when I was done I shot the guy in the back as he strutted away

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I drank so much John was stumbling about and falling on his ass

It was funny, but I couldn't pick a fight

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    101 wrote: »
    Just completed the main story.
    Man those government guys are dicks.

Fun shoot-out though

END GAME
    How do you feel about Jack? And have you done his special Stranger mission?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh hey, in the Poppycock side mission in Mexico
    Did you shoot the guy as soon as you found out he was a drug dealer? I know I did. I pocketed that cashola.

(Honestly when I found out it was $1000 I was going to shoot him no matter what it was I was delivering.

GRMike on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    man

i am just reading this thread and drooling

i might just rent it and get it out of my system

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Orik, with your trades how many dollars are you away from owning this game?

GRMike on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man

It's addictive. I had most of last week off of work and all of my friends were out of town over the weekend. I put 40 hours into the game over 6 days.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GRMike wrote: »
    Did you shoot the guy as soon as you found out he was a drug dealer? I know I did. I pocketed that cashola.

(Honestly when I found out it was $1000 I was going to shoot him no matter what it was I was delivering.
    Can you even open the package beforehand? I never bothered looking, as honestly I forgot about it all together until that purple ? flashed

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    man

I ended up renting it because everytime I logged onto Live 80% of my friends were playing it and it was driving me insane.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I liked Seth's retort when Marston ragged on him looting dead bodies. knocked me off my high horse

Whenever I come across the dude taking the rings 'n things from the dead lady in the wilderness I am like

the irony would kill me if I shot him for that and then looted his corpse

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this game is rad.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Everytime I have an awesome horse it gets killed by a cougar. I don't even see the fucker until my horse is dead most of the time.

It's only happened twice but it sucks.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nothing is more frightening than to be skinning an animal and while the skinning animation is on the screen seeing a cougar ready to pounce over your shoulder.

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    At least the cougar is polite enough to wait until you're finished

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey, Listen -
    Add me to the list of PS3 owners!
    PSN - KingNada

I played some random multi this weekend and took down some bandit camps and then someone tried to turn traitor but i burned him down 2 or 3 times and then he left me alone. Good times.

King Nada on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GRMike wrote: »

whenever somebody does a douchey thing to me in a cutscene, I just hogtie them and walk away, cause I'm playing the good guy

it's like, you're still alive, but good luck getting out of this shit, asshole

freakish light on
This discussion has been closed.