As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Curse of the Crimson Throne: Defender Replacement/Recruitment thread

TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost punsThe Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Critical Failures
Curse of the Crimson Throne: Defender Replacement/Recruitment thread

Recruitment.jpg

“Why do I live here? Why live in the most regimented, law-abiding, oppressive city this side of Bloodsworn Vale? Answer’s simple, mate. With the Sable Company flapping around in the clouds, Hellknights stomping around on the streets, and the Korvosan Guard caught between them; no one knows who’s got jurisdiction over what. You just gotta know when to hide and know when to bribe. Now, you wanna buy this magic dagger or not?”
—Corb “Birdtongue” Meever, Cerulean Society Fence

Introduction:

This is a replacement/recruitment thread for my PBP campaign of 4th edition of Dungeons and Dragons.

Since the group’s Defender hasn’t posted anything here in the game (or anywhere else in the rest of these forums) for the past 14 days or so, I’ve had no choice but to remove him/her from the game (his/her character, Bob, is still in the game, but will ‘disappear’ soon enough...). Therefore, the party will lack a defender for the group, hence why I’m allowing a new player to join the game.

Anyone may post an application, but precedence will be given to new players, especially players not currently involved in any other PbPs (1 PbP is okay, but don’t expect to get picked if you’re playing in more than 1 PbP), and players who have not played the Curse of the Crimson Throne (both 3.5 and 4th edition converted versions respectively) Adventure Path before. If you fit any of these criteria, please say so in your application post. In addition, anyone with experience as a DM and who would be willing to provide me with a little advice and guidance are particularly welcome.

Curse of the Crimson Throne was originally a D&D 3.5 Adventure Path released by Paizo in 2007. When 4th edition came out, a lot of people tried to convert many of the old adventure paths for the latest edition of D&D, CotCT being one of them. I have heard many good things regarding Crimson Throne (and its previous AP, Rise of the Runelords), so I decided to run the first part of this campaign.

The Particulars:

Standard setup. This is a play by post game; character sheets on Myth-Weavers (if you already have a completed character sheet on Orokos, that’s fine too). Rolls on Invisible Castle (or once again, should IC throw a hissy fit, use of Orokos’s Dice roller is fine too). I, TiamatZ, will be the DM. PCs' minimum post requirement is the usual one per day. Habitual unexplained failures to post will result in your character being ejected from the campaign.

Please submit a level one character created with the 22 Point Buy system. Maximum submissions are one per person (so choose/design carefully).

Submission should include the standard stuff:

- A link to the sheet (Myth Weavers or Orokos)
- The character's name
- A picture of your character (optional, though recommended; for token creation purposes)
- Personality traits, mannerisms and appearances.
- The how and why you find yourself in the grand city of Korvosa.
- The CB summary stuff.
- And lastly, I want to know your availability to post here in the forums, as well as what DnD 4th ed. pbp games you play here.

For your character, pretty much any official DnD 4th edition material is acceptable (supplement books, Dragon articles, etc.), except with regards to the race and class (see Character Backgrounds and Feats section below). Be prepared to post technical info if I request it.

Note about alignment: I am lax about alignment- there is no need to mark something on the sheet unless you want to. Evil characters are allowed on the condition that they have well thought-out background/goals and have a strong reason to work with a team. No backstabbing the party, no killing the shopkeeper because you felt like it, and most importantly of all, don’t be a griefer; everyone’s here to have fun, but I will throw out anyone that tries to ruin everyone else’s experience.

Deadline: Deadline is May 30th, 6:00 PM (Mid afternoon; GMT time).

Character Backgrounds and feats:

Races Allowed (Those not listed are banned):
- All PHB 1, 2 and 3 races (With the exception of Githzerai and Shardmind)
- Changeling, Genasi, Gnoll, Shadar-Kai, and Warforged are allowed.

Class Requirements:
- Defender, obviously (Fighter, Paladin, Swordmage, Warden and Battlemind are considered Defender Roles)
- Hybrid classes allowed (on the condition that one of the chosen classes has the Defender role)

Backgrounds:
Players may choose general backgrounds (like those from the PHB 2 and Power books etc.) ONLY! No Forgotten Realms! No Eberron! No Scales of War! ‘Nuff said.

The campaign will take place in the 4th edition “points of light” setting, but in the far-off land of Varasia. Your PC may hail from anywhere in the city of Korvosa, or from the neighbouring Shoanti tribes. Your character can come from all walks of life, from a beggar trying to make ends meet in the streets, to an aristocrat born in one of the many noble houses of Korvosa (see this link for details regarding the city of Korvosa, for character creation purposes) .

Players retain their 100gp, but gain the adventurer’s kit, as well as any level 1 magical item of their choice (that’s 360 gp worth) absolutely FREE.

Also all characters are required to have first names and last names. Come on people, be creative :mrgreen:.

TiamatZ on

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, am I correct in assuming that characters do not require to be linked to Gaedren Lamm like the original characters did?

I had an idea for an elven Warden, who may be linked to the crime lord if needed, but if not, that's all good too.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In terms of story placement, you'll link up with the group AFTER Gaedren's untimely (though fitting) demise.

Though if you want your character to be linked to Gaedren someway, by all means go for it!

Example: Perhaps you were a mercenary hired by the Cerulean Society (or even the Sable Company or Korvosan Guard) to find and report on Gaedren's current whereabouts and condition.

But really, Gaedren plays a small role in the epic and sinister tale weaved in COTCT, acting merely as a common thread between characters.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Experience as a subservient seamstress gets you bonus points from me. I will soon have an opening for loom workery/ spindle handling.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Always the taskmaster, eh Fire? :P

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm already in a couple PbPs, so I won't submit a character. But I, for one, would love to see a Swordmage accepted in a Pbp. Seems most of the Defenders taken are Wardens, Paladins and Fighters.

Also, it doesn't directly say in the post what level the characters should be, but one can assume you want level 1s. Is that correct?

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey, I accepted a Swordmage into my campaign! :P

As for this thread, working on a Paladin application!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    AlphaboomerangAlphaboomerang Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Welp, here goes.

Haltin Krahknus, Dragonborn Fighter!

Picture
    DragonbornPHB.jpg

Haltin is the lower of the two. Wasn't sure how to crop it or whatevs, so I didn't risk it.

Appearance/traits/mannerisms
    Haltin is a bit leaner than one would expect a dragonborn fighter to be, more lanky than brawny. His ochre skin and thickset brow are entirely at odds with his easygoing manner. He's good at fighting, but he doesn't enter a bloodrage type thing joyfully... but the more he hits things, the more confident he gets.

How did this dude end up here, mans?
    Haltin was originally the scion of a dragonborn noble house in Korvosa. If you had glimpsed him on the training ground, you would have assumed that he was no different from any other in his bloodline: holding the front line, taking strength from one's strikes, etc. He could have been the best of his generation, if but for his fatal flaw. Some quirk of genetics imbued him without any sense of responsibility whatsoever, which clashed terribly with his Hellknight father and Sable Company brother. After totally failing the entrance trials to BOTH of these esteemed companies (on purpose, but he didn't tell his family) he was kicked out and disowned entirely. Since then he's taken on every odd mercenarial job he could find. He spends the money just trying to have a good time (ale, mostly).

CB Summary
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Haltin Krahknus, level 1
    Dragonborn, Fighter
    Fighter: Combat Superiority
    Fighter Talents: Battlerager Vigor
    Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
    Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Lightning
    Background: Dragonborn - Dishonored (+2 to Bluff)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 16, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 11.

AC: 20 Fort: 16 Reflex: 12 Will: 11
    HP: 31 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 10

TRAINED SKILLS
    Heal +6, Endurance +6, Athletics +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -3, Arcana, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +1, History +2, Insight +1, Intimidate +3, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion, Stealth -3, Streetwise +1, Thievery -3

FEATS
    Level 1: Bloodied Invigoration

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Crushing Surge
    Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
    Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew
    Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack

ITEMS
    Heavy Shield, Magic Scale Armor +1, Adventurer's Kit, Battleaxe, Lantern, Oil (1 pint) (10), Sunrod (10)
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I'm pretty available to do at least one post a day, more if I don't have anything going on that afternoon. I'll usually post in the morning (9ish to noonish PST).

This'll be my first experience in a PbP, and my first in Curse of the Crimson Throne. I DM a few games and play in a few games irl, so I know how stuff works, mostly, and look forward to learning things that I could use to DM for people from afar (people at colleges out of state).

Thanks for reading!

Edits: Getting the picture in there, and changed from Scale armor to Chainmail in order to gain the benefit from battlerager features.

Alphaboomerang on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'm already in a couple PbPs, so I won't submit a character. But I, for one, would love to see a Swordmage accepted in a Pbp. Seems most of the Defenders taken are Wardens, Paladins and Fighters.

Also, it doesn't directly say in the post what level the characters should be, but one can assume you want level 1s. Is that correct?

Yup, pretty much Level 1.

also, the party members have accrued a total of 290XP each so far (Pre-Gaedren encounter).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm really interested first time player i just need to think something up.

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sad I liked bob's story a lot. Ill throw a pally in there, srry for the no play when the striker opened up Im playing a rouge and another melee striker hybrid right now, and didn't want to get confused with so many similar characters. Anyways, loved the campaign setting ill be throwing a pally in.

Question: you say evil is ok, assuming one took the heretic or unbeliever backgrounds would it be ok to play an evil character with an other than evil personality? that said i know evil doesn't necessarily mean that they are an ass to everyone but they might have cruel or unfeeling quirks.

im thinking young girl paladin of bane, average 15-16 year old, so highly unstable.

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Emir Ironwood - Human Fighter

Portrait:
    M_Human7.png

Background:

Emir is a minor member of the noble house of Ironwood, a once grand house of fading power that can trace their lineage back to the founding of Korvosa. The Ironwood family, however, holds a secret.

With the fall of the Nerath Empire, it was thought that the revolutionaries had laid waste to the royal family, but two child still survived, sheltered by the Ironwood, Oakheart and Hornbeam families swore to the protection of the royal line. Over the intervening centuries, the families have kept their loyalty and bide their time for a time when their true lords may return to power. At this time, only a dozen direct descendents of the original royal family survive.

Since his birth, Emir has been trained as a royal protector, one of the four sworn shields assigned to the protection of Damohy, one of the young princesses. He spent the sixteen years since her birth constantly by her side, willing to give his life for hers.

When the time came for her protection, however, physical protection was not what his princess required. Dark shadows came in the night for her, their touch freezing her protectors in place and shattering their weapons and leaving Damohy dead from a dozen wounds. Of her protectors, only Emir survived.

Shamed by his inability to perform his duty and seeking answers for the death of his ward, Emir has ventured out from the protection of his family into the wider city, taking what mercenary work was required to get by, alternating between trying to forget his past and trying to find some clue as to the cause of his failure.

Not sure if you want me to be so world-builder-y in my background creation - I can tone it down if needs be - the core of being a failed bodyguard is what drives his personality.

I've played a few pbp's here (still in my sig), but they've all kicked the bucket. Never played the crimson throne in any edition.

soxbox on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well I'll be submitting a swordmage at least, today or tomorrow.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jain Mallin, Human Paladin

Picture:
    mhuman7.png
    Though, without a helmet, with longer hair, and somewhat younger.

Background:
    Jain had a difficult childhood, though one that was probably the best that he could hope for given the lack of wealth that he was born into. Apprenticed away when he was young, he spent much of his childhood assisting a local blacksmith in running his business while learning the trade himself. It was tough, hard work and didn't leave much time for recreation beyond those short periods where he could watch the crowds passing through Korvosa's busy squares.

It was during one of these days in the boy's later teenage years that a group of priests moved into a nearby square, setting up a makeshift penned area for what Jain had thought would be selling services of whatever faith they had ascribed to. Instead, they spent much of their day exercising and engaging in serious (though never deadly) games of combat with each other, content enough to let the passerbyes watch or inquire on their own and never prosletyzing directly. Intrigued at their dedication and odd form of worship, Jain eventually mustered up the courage to see what these priests were about and from then on his free time was spent with the Kordite priests during their 'rituals', learning of who they were and what they aspired to. When the time came for them to move on about the countryside, Jain decided that he would join with them, getting leave from his master and setting out into the wild as an Acolyte of the lord of battle.

It was years later that he came back to Korvosa, a fully-grown man returning from a changed life in the environs of Varisia. Still the stout, hard-cut blacksmith-molded air remained about him, yet tempered with a fierce, reserved vitality gained through his years of training. His trials in the untamed wilderness of Varisia completed for now, Jain has returned to Korvosa both for work and to see how much both he and the city have changed and what he can do to repay the good fortune that the city gave to him that one day when he was a child.

Appearance/Personality:
    Jain stands a good six feet tall, clad in (mostly) full plate that seems almost self-made with its numerous dents, pits, and bends in the metal. A hammer (perhaps that which made the armor?) hangs on his back, concealed somewhat under a flowing length of hair that reaches down to his shoulders. In person he is distant, though amiable, always seeming to be either deep in concentration or just on guard all the time. Jain does not brook micheiviousness, cowardly, or unjust acts and will shatter this visage of a stout sentry immediately to jump in and assist those requiring his help. In combat his personality dramatically shifts to one of an energetic warrior, leaping into battle and drawing enemies to him and away from any of his companions or those he is trying to protect.

Summary:
    Jain Mallin, level 1
    Human, Paladin
    Build: Virtuous Paladin
    Background: Society - Poor (Streetwise class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 17.

AC: 20 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 17
    HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Endurance +1, Religion +4, Diplomacy +9, Heal +7, Streetwise +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -4, Arcana -1, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +2, History -1, Insight +2, Intimidate +4, Nature +2, Perception +2, Stealth -4, Thievery -4, Athletics -2

FEATS
    Human: Mettle Proven
    Level 1: Toughness

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Bolstering Strike
    Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
    Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
    Paladin at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike
    Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
    Paladin daily 1: Glorious Charge

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Heavy Shield, Plate Armor, Warhammer, Amulet of Protection +1, Holy Symbol

I don't currently play in any games, though I do DM the Vale of Buried Shadows campaign here in CF. As such I'm around multiple times every day. Haven't played a 4e campaign yet, nor that familiar with Curse of the Crimson Throne.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    17 main stat? You don't see that too often

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anias Lohmun, Minotaur Ardent Paladin of Moradin
    (Uh-nye-us)

Picture:
    Minotaur.jpg

Background / Korvosa:
    Anias was once like his kin, a savage, marauding brute. He found himself a prisoner in Korvosa, rotting away for violent crimes against the "decent folk" of the city. That's where Moradin found him...

The local temple of Moradin was looking for a strong back to help with daily work. They sent a priest to find a suitable candidate. The priest went looking for the cheapest labor he could find...a prisoner. Anias was sitting in his cell, completely silent, glaring at the dwarf as he walked in. Not even the priest himself was sure what he saw in the minotaur, but he was certain that he was supposed to bring him to the temple. The warden was not as convinced, but after he was assured that the followers of Moradin could more than handle themselves against a lone minotaur, Anias was allowed to leave with the priest.

Anias spent a year or two doing daily chores around the temple, seething at the mediocrity he had been reduced to. The more time he spent, though, he felt more at ease with his surroundings, and would sometimes go for days, or weeks even without wanting the rip everyone around him apart. The others in the order saw these inklings of change in Anias, and he was offered a place as an initiate of the order. He was a quick study at martial training, and soon surpassed those appointed to teach him, learning that his greatest strength was in defending those around him. Though he struggled with the spiritual side of his training, he eventually learned to embrace the serenity that it brought, gaining the ability to harness the raging beast inside him. His training is now complete, and he is a full Paladin of Moradin, and has been sent out to bring Moradin's teachings to bare...

Mannerisms/Appearance, and whatnot:
    Anias likes to think that he has complete control over his animal nature, but truthfully, it can and often does get the better of him in the thick of combat. Outside of combat, he is contemplative and mostly quiet, wanting to guard himself from getting too involved in altercations, lest someone wind up dead. His greatest fear is that he will lose control at an inopportune time and bring shame to Moradin.
    Physically, Anias is brutish. Tall, even for a minotaur and muscular. He has braided his hair back behind him, and bears the Anvil of Moradin symbol prominently on both the right shoulder of his armor and tattooed on his right shoulder itself, should he be without his armor.

Me:
    I am in 1 pbp (Fantastical Contraption, playing Swanky). I can post everyday. I played in one 3.5 face to face game that is now debunked, and Fantastical Contraption is my 1st 4e experience.

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Aeth Aman'zi - Genasi Swordmage

Picture
    ice2k.jpg

Backstory
    The road.That was the beginning for Aeth. The road - always traveling around meeting new villages some in the end of their lifetime some thriving and growing.Aeth grew up without knowing his father , his brother taking the role as much as he can. "Smile brother. And people smile back.That's what his brother would say patting his head afterwards .
    The only thing that his brother had from their father was his sword. A giant sword Aeth couldn't even lift.His father must have been a strong man, a great man to wield such a mighty blade.
    All was fine in the circuis continue to travel around the land until his brother disappeared while in Korvosa leaving behind his fathers blade.No no no he would never leave the blade behind him.. Its what father left for Spir. Last he heard his brother was headed towards the city district of Korvosa.And Aeth was sure to follow."Packing what he had ,securing his fathers blade on his back ,borrowing a blade from the sword swallower and a cloak from one of the magicians he was off to Korvosa.

Mannerisms and Appearance
    Always wearing two big blades on his back both of them almost completely covering his back. By genasi standards Aeth is a slim tall figure always walking confident in all streets and paths. His bright smile always preceeding his sword Aeth has never been an intimidating person. His deep blue eyes and silvery/blue hair make his face even friendlier.The bigger blade on his back clearly has not been used in some time maybe years. It is covered in a cloth carried more like an item to be delivered to someone or somewhere.

Personality Traits
    Always trying to befriend those around him some find Aeth a little annoying. Always bumping in conversations trying to cheer people up when some times people don't want "clowns" around them.His time in the circus helped him find many friends some lasting some not so much. He always seems to smile , a disarming smile which almost never leaves his face. " You can always achieve more with a smile then with your fists". His brother always used to say that. Funny enough his brother would always get into fights.The circus made it easy for Aeth to communicate with all the people of each town , from the poorest begger to the lord of the town they currently were in. He always helps those he can. And there have been instances when .. he has borrowed money he did not mean to return from wealthy lords. Just enough so they do not notice, but the poor sure notice those money.

CB Summary
    Aeth Aman'zi, level 1
    Genasi, Swordmage
    Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Assault
    Elemental Manifestation: Causticsoul
    Background: Circus Performer (Acrobatics class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 15, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 13, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 10.

AC: 19 Fort: 12 Reflex: 15 Will: 12
    HP: 28 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +10, Acrobatics +5, History +10, Athletics +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance +3, Heal -1, Insight -1, Intimidate, Nature +1, Perception -1, Religion +5, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery

FEATS
    Level 1: Intelligent Blademaster

POWERS
    Swordmage at-will 1: Lightning Lure
    Swordmage at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
    Swordmage encounter 1: Flame Cyclone
    Swordmage daily 1: Dimensional Thunder

ITEMS
    Fullblade, Falchion, Magic Leather Armor +1, Adventurer's Kit, Flute, Climber's Kit, Pitcher of Ale (2), Bottle of Wine, Everburning Torch

This will be my first Pbp i can post multiple times a day unless my pc implodes devouring me in the process.

Edit - Added CB summary.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    badass picture smoove!

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Google image search sometimes returns a gem on page 5 or 6 :)

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    I saw that picture when I was searching for axe-wielding fighters and it almost made me want to throw my character out and redo him as a minotaur.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I kept trying to find good pictures of hammer-wielding holy people who have hair. This is not a very easy situation, thanks alot Warhammer.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Jak Steelheart, Human Swordmage

Picture
    Not exactly what I had in mind, but close enough, my google-image-fu is weak :(

Pathfinder1_Fighter_200_2.jpg

Background
    Jak has lived in Korvosa for his entire life. His parents were commoners, but made enough money to live comfortably. His father taught him swordplay as he grew and from his mother he inherited a talent for the arcane.

Five years ago, he managed to secure entrance into the Academy but could not adapt to life within its walls and was expelled after a year. Having no real skills other than fighting, he joined the Korvosan Guard and his skill with a blade, along with what he had learned at the Academy, quickly found him a place within its ranks.

One night a couple months ago however, his parents were killed. He's not sure who did it, but he found a poisoned dagger that suggets the Cerulean Society was responsible. Having no ties left to the city, he quit the Guard and swore to hunt down the killers no matter who or where they are.

(I left this pretty open, could be Gaedren was responsible, or another plot character in some way, or even nobody and he finds no info during the quest)

Personality
    Jak is impulsive and often impatient. He is rather undiplomatic and will speak his mind, for good or ill. If it lands him in a fight, well that's alright with him.

He is confident in his abilities and will willingly charge and taunt enemies in the knowledge that his skill will keep him safe, most of the time anyway.

Appearance
    Jak is tall and slender, with black hair and several scars on his face from his life in the Guard.

Outwardly, he looks much like a soldier, both as a result of being one for a time and his desire to concel his arcane abilities in order to surprise any opponents with them.

A longsword is in a scabbard at his hip, he is wearing leather armor and a small pack to carry his things.

Summary
    Jak Shieldheart, level 1
    Human, Swordmage
    Swordmage Aegis: Aegis of Shielding
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
    Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
    Background: Occupation - Military (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 12, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 20 Fort: 14 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
    HP: 31 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +8, Arcana +9, Insight +6, Endurance +8, History +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, Intimidate -1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +4, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Thievery

FEATS
    Human: Intelligent Blademaster
    Level 1: Versatile Expertise

POWERS
    Bonus At-Will Power: Lightning Lure
    Swordmage at-will 1: Booming Blade
    Swordmage at-will 1: Sword Burst
    Swordmage encounter 1: Sword of Sigils
    Swordmage daily 1: Dimensional Thunder

ITEMS
    Longsword, Magic Leather Armor +1, Adventurer's Kit, Potion of Healing (heroic tier)

As for the other stuff, I've never played CotCT before. I'm in 1 pbp and can generally post a couple times every day. I do have a vacation from the 19th-4th so I might not post quite as much for those 2 weeks, but I can still do a post once per day, except maybe during the travel days themselves.

Phyphor on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Telkar Frostbranch

Picture:
    dwarfwarden.png

Background:
    Telkar Frostbranch guarded the people of his tribe against interlopers, murderous beasts, and winter gales for seasons beyond count, but he could not shield them from the call of civilization. With each passing year, more and more of his tribe gave up their ancestral ways and journeyed to Korvosa, seeking wealth and power. When nearly half of the tribe’s druids abandoned their sacred charge to chase rumors of a circle operating within the city, Telkar could endure no more. Vowing to find the renegade druids and remind them of their duties, he set out along the very path that had drawn so many of his young kinsmen away. Upon reaching Korvosa, he found no druids, but plenty of trouble. Now he finds himself alone, embroiled in a strange world of danger and intrigue, and yet strangely drawn to the city that tore his tribe apart.

Mannerisms/Appearance:
    Telkar is of average height and stocky, even by dwarf standards. His hair and beard are white with age and he wears both in long, elaborate braids that often incorporate bird feathers. A near century of life in the wilds has left him somewhat lacking in social graces, but wise enough to know when not to speak. He speaks plainly and honestly, prefering open dealings. Patient to a fault, he is not quick to pass judgement on anyone or anything, particularly things he finds unfamiliar. He is a firm supporter of tradition, believing that people who have lost touch with their past have lost touch with themselves. As such, he has little patience for revolutionaries and the like. When not actively doing something, he stands eerily still, occasionally swaying slightly like some ancient, wizened tree.

CB summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
    Telkar Frostbranch, level 1
    Dwarf, Warden
    Guardian Might: Earthstrength

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 16, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
    HP: 33 Surges: 12 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature +6, Perception +6, Endurance +7, Athletics +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -3, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +1, History +2, Insight +1, Intimidate -1, Religion, Stealth -3, Streetwise -1, Thievery -3

FEATS
    Level 1: Sudden Roots

POWERS
    Warden at-will 1: Thorn Strike
    Warden at-will 1: Earth Shield Strike
    Warden encounter 1: Thunder Ram Assault
    Warden daily 1: Form of Winter's Herald

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Heavy Shield, Hide Armor, Flail, Amulet of Protection +1, Potion of Healing (heroic tier)

I post every day. I am not currently playing in any pbp games, but I DM a pen and paper game for my friends.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here are the submissions so far, in order of 'newness':
    Note: DMing a PbP does not count as 'playing' in a PbP

No PbPs:
    AlphaBoomerang - Haltin Krahknus, Dragonborn Fighter!
    Aegis - Jain Mallin, Human Paladin
    PepiPopa - Aeth Aman'zi, Genasi Swordmage
    Kilroy - Telkar Frostbranch, Dwarf Warden

1 PbPs:
    soxbox - Emir Ironwood, Human Fighter
    Smoove Operator - Anias Lohmun, Minotaur Ardent Paladin of Moradin
    Phyphor - Jak Steelheart, Human Swordmage

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Adran Sylvanevys, Stormheart Elf Warden.

Appearance and token:
    Adran is rather large for an elf. Rather than being burly and imposing, among the fey elves this 'largeness' is more of a combination of height, breadth of shoulders, and compact muscle. Next to a human laborer who spends most of his time in the fields, Adran appears slim and unimposing - more like a courtier than a warrior. The typically fine elven features he sports only add to that impression. He has pale blonde hair and very fair skin, both of which turn paler still when he channels the spirits of winter, while his eyes are a dark grey.

He wears thick hide armour dyed in the deep, russet brown tones of the forest in autumn highlighted with ermine fur at the collar, with delicate elven embroidery at the edges. The bulk of the leathers adds considerable breadth and weight to his form.

adransylv.jpgadransylv.png
    Personality:
    Like most elves, Adran is out of place in an urban environment. His grasp of human interaction and polite behavior is tenuous at best, though he's more likely to offend without meaning to, rather than attempting to cause friction. However, he has a tendency of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, unable to quite understand what he did wrong. 'Things are different where I am from,' he might explain.

Adran is calm, though he trusts his instincts. If he feels threatened by something, he is highly unlikely to ignore it, and more likely to confront it there and then. If people under his protection are threatened, his counter-threats are even more overt and hard to miss. He does not, however, fly into fiery rages of unchecked aggression. Instead, his anger is cold, focused and relentless, like the winter spirits he draws his powers from. Once his temper is roused, it takes a long time for him to warm back up, and become civilised again.

In battle, he does not believe in killing unless he has to - for food, self-defense, the protection or others or the like. He is unlikely to strike a mortal blow unless he knows that, if he does not, himself or those in his charge will be in grave danger. He would rather drive off an attacking animal than kill it, for example, while if a thief attempted to club him unconcious in a blind alley, he would return the favor without killing the criminal. The moment combat becomes serious - such as if someone draws a lethal weapon, or if he realises it is impossible to drive off or otherwise neutralise his attackers - he has no problem putting a quick and brutal end to things.
    Background:
    Why is an elven warrior of the wilds, sworn to protect his clan and their allies from harm with the help of nature's will in the city of Korvosa? The answer is a little complicated. A group of elven traders once visited this city, bringing with them examples of their arts and crafts, including well-crafted bows, travel clothing, elven wines and the like. They were looking for things that were difficult to find or work in the forests, metal weaponry, good quality ores to forge into arrowheads, as well as worked jewels, gems and other light, expensive trade goods. They were promised a trade that was a little too skewed in their favour, and shown examples of the works they would receive. The deal was a scam, put forward by one Gaedrun Lamm. When the elves requested entry to the city, in order to speak with the corrupt merchant, they were refused. They waited until nightfall, and made their way in unlawfully. Lamm was expecting this however, and two of the elves were captured while the others fled. One of these elves had the misfortune to be female. The male was killed, the woman... The less said about her ordeal, the better. She escaped within the month, and made it back to her forest home, where she told her tale.

One of the listeners was a member of the clan's Vale Guardians, strong in his relationship with the protective spirits of the forests. He was also a sibling of the captured elfwoman. Adran asked for permission to travel to Korvosa, find this man, and make him pay. His elders were hestitant, until Adran pointed out that a lone man, travelling to the city to settle his grievances with a criminal, slaver and thief would provoke no reaction from the humans, regardless of the outcome. It would just be swept aside and ignored, as were most things in the underbelly of human society. An agreement was made.

Adran fully intends to travel to Korvosa, find Gaedrun Lamm, and kill him. He has no idea how he will accomplish this goal, but he has heard that gold speaks loudly in human circles. Little does he know that by the time he finds his mark, justice will already have been served.
    CBuilder Summary:
    Adran Sylvanevys, level 1
    Elf, Warden
    Guardian Might: Stormheart
    Background: Occupation - Military (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 16 Will: 15
    HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature +10, Perception +10, Endurance +5, Athletics +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History, Insight +3, Intimidate -1, Religion, Stealth, Streetwise -1, Thievery

FEATS
    Level 1: Whip Training

POWERS
    Warden at-will 1: Earth Shield Strike
    Warden at-will 1: Thorn Strike
    Warden encounter 1: Grasping Winds
    Warden daily 1: Form of Winter's Herald

ITEMS
    Whip, Amulet of Protection +1, Heavy Shield, Hide Armor, Javelin (3), Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit, Longsword
    I'm available to make more than one post per day, and am currently in one Play by Post game - the Vale of Buried Shadows. I'm fairly experienced with 4E, though I've never played the Curse of the Crimson Throne. Also, after looking through the other party members, I felt they were lacking someone who knew anything about the great outdoors, and who better to provide that knowledge and guidance in the wild than an elf?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    KeldonusKeldonus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reggriz Tinsmith, Dwarven Fighter

Background
    Reggriz grew up in a moderate-sized Dwarven community, largely consisting of metalworkers and other artisans. His family, the Tinsmiths, had fallen on hard times, as a result of the tight grip of the artisan guilds over the economics of the town. Reggriz's grandfather, Raybin, had fought bitterly against another man for the hand of a woman they were both pursuing. Raybin got the girl, but his rival was a member of the family that controlled the town's most powerful artisan's guild. The Tinsmiths found themselves largely unable to work, except for the occasional job as day-laborers or other, lesser jobs.
    Reggriz was able to get an apprenticeship as a metalworker, but after he had completed his two-year course of study, he found himself stuck in the same rut that had hurt his family for the past couple generations. He spent many days waiting in a tavern where many day laborers were hired, occasionally picking up an odd job, but mainly acquiring a beer belly and a strong sense of frustration.
    After a few years and no real economic prospects, he set out for a fresh start in Korvosa. An older cousin had found some good work there for a while, a few years back, and Reggriz was willing to give it a shot.
    While fun and adventure would be great, especially compared to the depressing grind of waiting to get called on for a rare chance to haul lumber or ore, he eventually would like to establish a household here, away from the oppressive guilds of his home, somewhere for his extended family to come and make their own life, on their own terms.

Mannerisms/Appearance
    Reggriz is on the large side of dwarves, but not unusually so. He has a bit of a beer belly from his days at the tavern, and, like many dwarves, keeps his hair short and his beard long.
    His experience with the guilds and their politics back home has given him quite a chip on his shoulder, mainly focused towards corrupt politics, and scheming between rulers and merchants. His is highly distrustful of any person who acquires a position of power through heredity rather than their own merit.
    As a result, he is suspicious of many people, and prefers to not speak until he's had time to evaluate the situation, try to figure out the motivations of people, and to see what his role in the situation might be. Among the dwarves of his home, and especially his family, this is not out of the ordinary, though some people may find him a bit cold and distant.

Portrait
    dwarf.jpg
    from Wizards' gallery of DMG artwork.

CB Summary
    Reggriz Tinsmith, level 1
    Dwarf, Fighter
    Build: Guardian Fighter
    Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

AC: 19 Fort: 16 Reflex: 13 Will: 12
    HP: 29 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Heal +7, Athletics +9, Endurance +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +4, History, Insight +2, Intimidate -1, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion, Stealth -1, Streetwise -1, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Level 1: Shield the Fallen

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Tide of Iron
    Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
    Fighter encounter 1: Shield Bash
    Fighter daily 1: Comeback Strike

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Magic Warhammer +1, Scale Armor, Heavy Shield, Grappling Hook (3), Torch (5), Candle (10)

Posting/etc
    This would be my first PbP game, and thus the only one I'm involved in. I'm a college student, so I spend a lot of my time on the computer. Should have no problem posting at least once a day.

edit: also, new to this campaign/setting.

Keldonus on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh, I'm no longer in any pbps - I just hadn't updated my sig to reflect that.... and done.

soxbox on
  • Options
    licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Brogden Lowswinger, dwarf Paladin of Moradin
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1981

Background:
    When people say the word “paladin” the image that usually comes to mind is one of a tall figure, sheathed in a brilliant shining light on a noble steed, wearing glistening armor, standing up for the weak, bringing criminals to justice, and basically shining a light into evil’s eye, making it, at the very least, squint in annoyance.

Brogden Lowswinger paladin of Moradin is all of those things. Or at least he was. He strove to rid the land of evil. Right the wrongs. Defend the weak. Traveling far and wide to see that justice is upheld. All that good stuff. Unfortunately, late in his paladin career Brogden discovered that he liked to drink, and few things are safe from a drunken warrior wielding the powers of a god, even the said "weak" that he is striving to protect. Recently the worst had happened: While trying to rescue a "damsel" he was too drunk to even see straight, and not only did he not rescue said damsel, he managed to hit her hard enough with his maul to move her from the damsel category into something more akin to "wench."

Months later, after hawking his noble steed for booze money, a disgraced Brogden found himself in an inn in the city of Korvosa, at the bottom of a particularly large bottle. Things did not look well for Brogden until one day a warforged came in and shared some particularly harsh words with the innkeeper. Overhearing bits and snippets, Brogden's alcohol fuddled mind put together 3 things: a young woman had been kidnapped, a crime lord was in need of punishment, and his chance to redeem himself in the eyes of his god and his own self image was at hand! Grabbing his maul and "1 fer th' road," Brogden set (stumbled) out after the warforged to try and bring this vile Gaedren to justice!

Mannerisms and appearence:
    Brogden truly believes in righting wrongs and upholding law, but has been alive long enough to know the value of breaking the laws and rules if they are either unjust themselves or stand in the way of true justice (he is not lawful stupid in other words). He does not hesitate to put himself in danger above others. He is generally friendly to everyone he meets but does hold a general distrust of anyone trucking with dark magic. Lately he has been at least partially buzzed at all times and because of this is either sometimes slow on the uptake or emboldened to the point of foolishness (liquid courage woooooo!). He carries a large amount of shame for what he has done and after months of wallowing in self disgust he has decided to seize this opportunity to redeem himself. If this works, he might even quit drinking.

He has a grey beard and hair that has become unkempt and wild during his love affair with alcohol, and wears a plate mail suite of armor. He wields a large maul with both hands feeling that the best defense is a good offense (plus it's better for smiting).

Why in Korvasa:
    Chance. Brogden wondered for months after his disgrace, unable to find peace. Out of pure chance Bob walked in and he was sober enough to put 2+2 together to get apple and off he went.

Picture:
    ColorDwarf_by_Ludov.jpg Sorry it's so big.

CB stuff:
    Brogden Lowswinger, level 1
    Dwarf, Paladin
    Background: Disgraced

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 10, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 14.

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 11 Will: 13
    HP: 27 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Religion +4, Heal +6, Endurance +7, Diplomacy +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Arcana -1, Bluff +2, Dungeoneering +3, History -1, Insight +1, Intimidate +2, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -1, Streetwise +2, Thievery -1, Athletics +3

FEATS
    Level 1: Mighty Challenge

POWERS
    Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
    Paladin at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike
    Paladin at-will 1: Holy Strike
    Paladin encounter 1: Shielding Smite
    Paladin daily 1: Blood of the Mighty

ITEMS
    Chainmail, Earth-Wrought Hammer Maul +1, Adventurer's Kit

I thought it would be funny for a character to rush in all ready to beat up the bad guy only to have it all be over before he even got there.

I am currently in 1 pbp and have never played the crimson throne adventure. I can usually post multiple times a day, usually during lunch and after work.

licwidcake on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    licwidcake I don't know what you want him to look like, but check Deviant art there is some nice stuff there. Or the wizards gallery.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ten submissions! Ten percent chance of success!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    90% chance of...non-success.

Someone drank half my glass.

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Things are looking good! I'm excited to see which of these great ideas gets accepted. Good job on the entries so far folks.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here are the latest submissions so far, in order of 'newness':
    Note: DMing a PbP does not count as 'playing' in a PbP

No PbPs:
    AlphaBoomerang - Haltin Krahknus, Dragonborn Fighter!
    Aegis - Jain Mallin, Human Paladin
    PepiPopa - Aeth Aman'zi, Genasi Swordmage
    Kilroy - Telkar Frostbranch, Dwarf Warden
    soxbox - Emir Ironwood, Human Fighter
    Keldonus - Reggriz Tinsmith, Dwarven Fighter

1 PbPs:

Smoove Operator - Anias Lohmun, Minotaur Ardent Paladin of Moradin
    Phyphor - Jak Steelheart, Human Swordmage
    Kay - Adran Sylvanevys, Stormheart Elf Warden
    licwidcake - Brogden Lowswinger, dwarf Paladin of Moradin

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Less than a day left for submissions.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There's been no activity for almost 48 hours, Tiamatz! If you've seen a concept you like (or if your players have, if they're involved in the decision)...

Then again, I guess you don't need a replacement until the encounter you're in the middle of is over. :)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The suspense is killing me i tells ya.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    OK, Submissions are closed.

The winner (and Honourable mentions) will be declared within the hour...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    *Cough* Ahem...
    Welcome everyone to the one (and hopefully only)...

Curse of the Crimson Throne Defender Submission Awards

We have a lot of prime candidates here with us today. A few veteran players here and there, but the most interesting aspect of today's awards is that there are a lot of new players and prime underdogs here.
    First off, I’d like to thank everyone for their submissions. All of them were awesome to read, but unfortunately, only 6 will make it to Honorable mention status, one of whom will become the new chosen defender. So anywhoo let’s get started…

Now without further ado, let's see the Honourable Mention nominees. These were chosen not only for their mechanical abilities, but how they impressed me, the DM, with regards to their backgrounds and personalities.

Honourable Mentions:
    1) AlphaBoomerang - Haltin Krahknus, Dragonborn Fighter
    2) Keldonus - Reggriz Tinsmith, Dwarven Fighter
    3) Smoove Operator - Anias Lohmun, Minotaur Ardent Paladin of Moradin
    4) Kay - Adran Sylvanevys, Stormheart Elf Warden
    5) licwidcake - Brogden Lowswinger, dwarf Paladin of Moradin
    6) Aegis - Jain Mallin, Human Paladin

But in the end, the winner was:
    Adran Sylvanevys: Stormheart Elf Warden by (Kay) Congrats!

adransylv.jpg

Now all I require of our winner is the short character bio (like those written by the PCs in the OP IC thread), a picture (for token purposes), and an item list (containing a list of level 2-6 items, one of each level).

You'll also be placed under Reserve status in the OOC thread, until we wrap any unfinished encounters, and once I find a way to implement you in the story properly (with as few hassles as possible).

Thank you and good night!

P.S. Also, to those whom have been chosen under Honourable Mentions, do not delete your character just yet. I'll use this thread should we need another defender for the ranks (should Kay fall in battle, forget to post, etc). That way, it saves me time and effort to find a suitable replacement.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Grats to Kay and the backups.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for choosing my submission! I think I've dealt with everything via PM, and I hope that Adran's totally out of his element nature in the city helps tell an interesting story.

(Also Pepi, great choice of avatar. Oglaf is awesome.)

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    woohoo, I was secretely hoping a warden would get chosen. I have a Warden in an IRL game w/friends and it will be interesting to get another person's perspective on how to play one.

Thanks to everyone who made a submission, they were a blast to read.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png