As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Add film grain during playback (Windows)?

mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
Anybody know of a player (or add-on for a player) that will allow me to add film grain to a movie I'm playing back? I'm thinking of something similar to the XBMC film grain effect, but preferably on a player that does hardware acceleration (currently using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema).

I know it sounds silly (since film grain is something that's often removed) but for lower-quality recordings it can actually help to hide some of the blockiness and generally low resolution transfer. Basically I've got a few older DVD movies that look like dogshit on my television, and this seems like it might be one way to help. It was always fairly effective on my old Xbox.

Preferably said filter/program will:

1) Add grain at a higher resolution than the original file (so if I blow a 480p video up to 720p, it'll add grain at 720p).
2) Play multiple kinds of files...though most of the ones I'm worried about are .mp4 (x264/AAC).

EDIT: Okay, so apparently VLC has a grain filter built-in...but for whatever reason it's only applying it to the left half of the screen for me (weird) and it only applies the effect at the resolution of the video (no good). Any suggestions?

mcdermott on

• Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

It's a multipurpose codec with more settings then you can shake a stick at. There is also a version with experimental hardware acceleration. It works fine with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, but will replace MPC-HC hardware acceleration when used.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah, that's perfect. I didn't know about that fork of ffdshow, or that it was that easy to use ffdshow as your filter for MPC-HC. Sometimes I forget how much I don't know when it comes to these things (given I'm usually the guy people I know come to for advice).

I've still got some playing to do, and we'll have to see if my HTPC can handle the video without hardware acceleration (it's got an aging processor), or if I can get the acceleration to work. However, picture-wise that's pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Thanks!

mcdermott on