As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

is portland a thing

167891012»

• artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swill wrote: »
    artrulz wrote: »
    Bogey wrote: »
    Do you guys have Ikari Warriors? :P

No, but we've discussed building a cabinet to house games like Ikari Warriors, Heavy Barrel, etc and making a cool multi-game out of it. That's usually a decent way to get somewhat lesser-known games out on the floor. So - maybe someday!

this is pretty damn cool that you are on here providing customer service in your time off, and I think that is neat.

you are a dude that represents portland well I think

Thanks, that's cool of you to say!

artrulz on
    Will work for quarters.
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Sunset (26) has been under construction the entire twenty-five years I've lived here. However, very little has been done to improve traffic flow, and it routinely backs up all the way to Hillsboro.

Madpoet on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swill wrote: »
    cannot deal with lloyd center

I worked at sear's there for like a week

Wait. That's not the same Sears that...

Henroid on
  • artrulzartrulz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Portland, how I hate you.
    I hate your rain. I hate your refusal to provide adequate freeways. I hate your bicyclists who give me the finger because I couldn't see their tiny little recumbent. I hate your nearby coast that is always freezing, even if I go there in August, and which never has girls in bikinis. I hate your fat chicks. I hate your rain. I hate that when it's not raining, you still can't do anything because it will probably rain soon. I hate your summers that are beautiful just long enough to get Californians to think this would be a great place to live but will still rain on the weekends. I hate that you have all this water, but it only turns into snow every other year, and usually only for a day or two. I hate that your trees are green all the time, and so autumn to spring is one long dreary gray sludge. I hate your meth epidemic. I hate that after two weeks of straight rain I can understand the need to shoot up with poison. I hate your 19 hour drive to see the sun.

TL;DR: Hate

But don't you love our coffee?

artrulz on
    Will work for quarters.
  • honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I grew up in Texas and loved every minute of it, I'd love to move back there and live. But I'm also a big fan of where I live now. We have a really vibrant downtown with plenty of bars and good food. We have music venues that regularly get bands I want to see and the few bands I do want to see who don't come here stop in Orlando which is only an hour drive. We have beaches that are pretty damn nice(Although supposedly there's oil headed this way.) and plenty of hot girls in bikinis to populate them. It does get pretty damn hot but you sort of get used to it. I lived in montana for 3 months and hated every minute of it. I couldn't just run to the store and get something because the biggest store in town was Wal mart and even they didn't have everything. There was no chik-fil-a, no best buy, no borders or barnes and noble, no clothing stores to speak of and for some reason I was in that zone on amazons delivery map that basically meant fuck you even if you spend a hundred bucks you won't get it in less than a week. Also there was only one movie theater with 5 screens that only showed horrible movies. Also no record store. Also meth. On a happier note I really like Beirut! I'd love to go back and live there.

honkymcgoo on
    I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Californians are definitely the worst thing about Oregon.

am I one now cuz I'm in Cali?
    they seem cool

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hey mad poet!

Swill on
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    artrulz wrote: »
    I hate your rain. I hate your refusal to provide adequate freeways. I hate your bicyclists who give me the finger because I couldn't see their tiny little recumbent. I hate your nearby coast that is always freezing, even if I go there in August, and which never has girls in bikinis. I hate your fat chicks. I hate your rain. I hate that when it's not raining, you still can't do anything because it will probably rain soon. I hate your summers that are beautiful just long enough to get Californians to think this would be a great place to live but will still rain on the weekends. I hate that you have all this water, but it only turns into snow every other year, and usually only for a day or two. I hate that your trees are green all the time, and so autumn to spring is one long dreary gray sludge. I hate your meth epidemic. I hate that after two weeks of straight rain I can understand the need to shoot up with poison. I hate your 19 hour drive to see the sun.

But don't you love our coffee?

I put too much crap in my coffee to care what brand I drink. It's all Coffeemate Hazelnut to me.

re: Swill -- Hi! Marimba? My sister played one of thems in college.

Madpoet on
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so in the coming weeks I will have the place to myself

who wants to have a very unofficial PDX
    PAX

say it to me

Swill on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Sunset (26) has been under construction the entire twenty-five years I've lived here. However, very little has been done to improve traffic flow, and it routinely backs up all the way to Hillsboro.

And west of Portland there is a 50% chance that some portion of it will be closed by a mudslide.

Arrath on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

cheers. california is thataway

|
    v

scrivenerjones on
    edited June 2010
    california.gif

Arrath on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    neville wrote: »
    Californians are definitely the worst thing about Oregon.

am I one now cuz I'm in Cali?
    they seem cool

no, you're a northwester at heart still

I hope

Centipede Damascus on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    okay so I seriously think I'm going to get robbed and/or killed tonight

this is really fucking scary
    D:
    whaaaaaaaaat

Antimatter on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    what's up, kosh? i am seriously worried

Orikaeshigitae on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Want to move is difficult

I actually really like LA from what I've seen (which is incomprehensible to most Californians but fuck it) but I'd need $millions to live there.

Would move is also difficult, I am picky, and right now I am digging the sunshine and am still in my California honeymoon period (again, incomprehensible to many Californians who can do nothing but rave about Seattle)

I am actually very happy with the Bay Area

I would not move any further inland

I would not move back to the UK at this point, no way

Janson on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    okay so I seriously think I'm going to get robbed and/or killed tonight

this is really fucking scary

Why?!

Janson on
    edited June 2010
    CALL 911

SERIOUSLY

Centipede Damascus on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    CALL 911

SERIOUSLY
    yeah seconding this

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ...why would you make a forum post that you're being robbed/stabbed/raped instead of calling the police

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

Centipede Damascus on
  • Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That sucks Kosh. Glad it turned out ok--odd to say this but hopefully he's just some robber thug and not a stalker! Sounds like that's the case.

I'm always down for stuff in PDX. Especially if anyone wants to go rock climbing!

Dance Commander on
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    maybe it's john cusack

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    maybe it's john cusack

It couldn't have been, there would have been boomboxes involved.

Glad to hear you didn't get dead, Koshian!

Lexxy on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    could have been someone waiting for drugs

drug dealers ALWAYS FUCKING TAKE FOREVER

Al_wat on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    30 minutes or your weed is free

scrivenerjones on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would have so much damn free weed if that was true

Al_wat on
    edited June 2010
    well you are the invisible man koshian

shoulda put your smoking jacket on at least

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    woah kosh what almost happened

Skull Man on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What rock climbing is there to do in Portland?

Blake T on
    edited June 2010
    I've heard there's good climbing in the Colombia Gorge

there's some great climbing a couple hours away at Smith Rock too

Centipede Damascus on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    would the lots of rain make instability a big concern?

L|ama on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It can do.

I mean it just makes things slipery.

So if you want to put up with it you can.

And then you end up climbing easier stuff since the rain makes climbs that are usually within your level impossible.

You can also climb on leeward rockfaces as they are also often dry.

Blake T on
    edited June 2010
    It's not like things are wet 24/7 here

also Smith Rock is in central Oregon, which is a lot drier than the Portland area

Centipede Damascus on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was thinking more instability of the actual rock face itself

the west coast here has like constant rockfalls and even in central otago where it doesn't rain much, most of the exposed rock is schist and it freezes often in the winter so any water that gets inside cracks in rocks expands and mostly the only rock climbing I would be comfortable doing would be exposed bedrock or volcanic stuff

I dunno

L|ama on
    edited June 2010
    Oh man, I tried climbing random pieces of limestone once.

Ripped off a chunk the size of my head.

Later I was walking on limestone nearby and my foot went through it.

But Llama to directly address that most places that people climb at state whether or not it is shitty rock of not so you really know what you are up against.

Blake T on
    edited June 2010
    Oregon has a lot of volcanic rock because there are a lot of dormant volcanoes in the area

Centipede Damascus on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When I was there this past May, I did some climbing up near Hood River in the Scablands of Washington. Only about an hour away from Portland. It was fun, if a bit underwhelming, but that might have just been the site we visited.

Fire Truck on
    edited June 2010
    Oregon has a lot of volcanic rock because there are a lot of dormant volcanoes in the area

That basalt is hard as all hell.

Arrath on