As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter: Demon Armageddon, coolest ultra.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dee-Jay. But I figure you'll shoot him down because he's a charge character. Other than him, Juri, Gouken, Seth, and just about any shoto can give grapplers fits.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Dee-Jay. But I figure you'll shoot him down because he's a charge character. Other than him, Juri, Gouken, Seth, and just about any shoto can give grapplers fits.

Isn't Gouken disadvantaged against Abel, or is he not really considered a "grappler?"

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Does Juri not suffer from the "samesy" issues that Ibuki has though? In that she's fine outside but once they get inside it's a one way trip to Spinning on either the X Y or Z axis depending on the grappler with weakish wakeup options. I don't actually hate dee-jay my issue is less about charge characters and more about not liking the designs of the characters I passed on. Blanka is fine by me and Vega is a character I can not use or fight properly since his first time being playable which is something that makes him strangely interesting to me since I have put a lot of time into him in the past and just don't grasp the character at all, it's like he's from a different game or something.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If you can manage to keep a RH fireball charged at all times with Juri, it's almost impossible for the big guys to get in on her. Well, it's tough for Gief and Hawk, Abel has options.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You could play one of those grapplers. People hate on em but grapplers are some of the funner characters.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't really care for grapplers in 2d games as much. Also using Gief as a counter to himself is likely to not help me since that person is likely much more skilled with him then I would be if they main him.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I voted 9 oclock tuesday-thursday.

Anyway, since playing Dudley ive mostly just been doing my own thing with him, keepin it simple.

I hit training mode and im starting to check out the threads about him and I found out forward fierce can combo into standing fierce!

It can be done without counter hit for 260 damage and with counter hit it goes to 293! The best thing about this is its hit confirmable into super! With counter hit this deals 571 damage!

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    Fourier_seriesFourier_series Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Good games last night Frosteey, I need to learn how to not get mindfucked by crossups.

Fourier_series on
    soldierpw2.jpg
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gouken's jumpy move that can air parry, slide kick, or grab: does your opponent have to be standing for the grab to connect?

wonderpug on
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Gouken's jumpy move that can air parry, slide kick, or grab: does your opponent have to be standing for the grab to connect?

Demon Flip and IIRC yes.

nstf on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm pretty sure it's called jumpy move, but whatever.
    ;)

wonderpug on
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's like this little article was written just for me: http://shoryuken.com/content.php?r=895-Strategy-Corner-Playing-to-Learn

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Remember folks if you are interested in the PS3 ranbat send a PM to

DasUberEdward

put PS3 Ranbat in the subject line with your PSN ID and include what times work best for you in the body.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Isn't Gouken disadvantaged against Abel, or is he not really considered a "grappler?"
    Yea fighting Abel as Gouken is a hassle.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Ok so grappler players which characters give you fits? I am looking for a second character to start on and figure I should try and cover Ibuki's weak spot which seems like Abel,Gief,Hawk, Rufus. I think generally Sagat and Sim are good vs all of those characters but I'd rather go a different way since I don't care for either of them**. Bonus points if the character is also offensive minded since I need help with turtles for Ibuki as is.

**Chun Li is NOT on the character select screen as far as I am concerned, nor is Bison,Boxer,E. Honda, or Guile.

Some matches i have trouble with my Abel are:

Akuma gives me a good bit of trouble if they get that vortex going
    Rufus's instant air dive kicks can drive me up the wall
    Blanka can eat me alive if i get too impatient
    Sagat's standing Hard Kick *shivers*

Anyone who knows how to poke, poke, poke can get good damage off of me.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yay PSN ranbat! :)

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The last few Ryu trials are just damn stupid and useless. If I have a full super bar, why in the name of all that is fuck would I waste it focus canceling into MP three times in a row? If I can land the initial MP, why wouldn't I just lp shoryuken into super hadoken?

Just boggles the mind

Almost all the big trial combos are like that. At best, one combo from those lists is useful and the rest are made intentionally long/hard for people to show off.

My trials. They are so much longer and harder than yours.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

"Trials".

8-)

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »

"Trials".

8-)

Let me show them off to you.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't have the patience to finish some of the trials in SSFIV. I'll never unlock all of the icons/titles because of this, but that's a small price to pay for my sanity.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sivraj wrote: »
    Ok so grappler players which characters give you fits? I am looking for a second character to start on and figure I should try and cover Ibuki's weak spot which seems like Abel,Gief,Hawk, Rufus. I think generally Sagat and Sim are good vs all of those characters but I'd rather go a different way since I don't care for either of them**. Bonus points if the character is also offensive minded since I need help with turtles for Ibuki as is.

**Chun Li is NOT on the character select screen as far as I am concerned, nor is Bison,Boxer,E. Honda, or Guile.

As soon as you have ultra Blanka can't ball anymore. At all. Ever.

It is so frustrating.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I don't have the patience to finish some of the trials in SSFIV. I'll never unlock all of the icons/titles because of this, but that's a small price to pay for my sanity.

Amen brother. I have a friend who can actually pull off all those 1-frame links in training mode, so I'll have him finish the ones I can't. Besides, turbo makes 1-frames much easier. It's like super plinking!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

WHY TODAY?! Ugh, got dinner with the folks. Curse you! If you're doing one tomorrow evening I'm on.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

WHY TODAY?! Ugh, got dinner with the folks. Curse you! If you're doing one tomorrow evening I'm on.

Wait, what? Last I heard we were still just letting Das Uber know our time slots. Don't get me wrong I'll be down for em if they're tonight. I just need to know asap so I can take my little monster to the park and have him run around all day so he can pass out early allowing me access to my tv and PS3 without having to play Toy Story or Peter Pan on the damn thing!

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GGs chadwalk, we both have to really learn to anti air. Its silly how many times we jump in on each other.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sivraj wrote: »

As soon as you have ultra Blanka can't ball anymore. At all. Ever.

It is so frustrating.

Abel has some really scary ways to punish Blanka but about 2/3rds of them make no sense whatsoever. I think the matchup is in Abel's favor but only if you really know it, otherwise the matchup is so unlike every other fight that an Abel player will probably just be confused and eat shennanigans all day.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »
    GGs chadwalk, we both have to really learn to anti air. Its silly how many times we jump in on each other.

This. I really need to AA every jump in consistently. I need to spam moar srks, lulz.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Caenem wrote: »

Wait, what? Last I heard we were still just letting Das Uber know our time slots. Don't get me wrong I'll be down for em if they're tonight. I just need to know asap so I can take my little monster to the park and have him run around all day so he can pass out early allowing me access to my tv and PS3 without having to play Toy Story or Peter Pan on the damn thing!
    Yeah I don't think they are tonight. I wouldn't be able to make it anyway...

T-bolt on
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »

"Trials".

8-)

get ur 360 fixed plz :[

In other news, if anyone is looking for an easy way to win with Seth against online scrubs... get a knockdown, then run up to their body and do ultra 2. So good.

aBlank on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yea fighting Abel as Gouken is a hassle.

Fighting against Abel with anyone seems to be a big hassle. Dude is buff in Super.
    aBlank wrote: »
    In other news, if anyone is looking for an easy way to win with Seth against online scrubs... get a knockdown, then run up to their body and do ultra 2. So good.

Good thing it only takes 2 jabs to fill Seth's meter.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »

Amen brother. I have a friend who can actually pull off all those 1-frame links in training mode, so I'll have him finish the ones I can't. Besides, turbo makes 1-frames much easier. It's like super plinking!

Some of the combos will actually screw you up if you have turbo on, especially mk followed by mp or vice versa, which will often come out as a focus attack

Other times turbo will throw a move out way too soon

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's like this little article was written just for me: http://shoryuken.com/content.php?r=895-Strategy-Corner-Playing-to-Learn
    The overall response to this article was depressing.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

He sort of used a bad example. I completely understand what he was getting at, but I'm afraid that his choice of example and subsequent failure to make people understand why he chose it led people to miss the gist.

Also, his writing style could use a bit of work, as it even took me a sec to fully grasp what he has trying to communicate.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »

He sort of used a bad example. I completely understand what he was getting at, but I'm afraid that his choice of example and subsequent failure to make people understand why he chose it led people to miss the gist.

Also, his writing style could use a bit of work, as it even took me a sec to fully grasp what he has trying to communicate.

I think he was better off sticking with the whole mash reversal and pray concept. His last example falls pretty damn flat. Other than that, solid read.

Also agreed with the poster about Ultras. It's quite possibly the worst mechanic in a fighting game ever.

aBlank on
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Great article which describes my time online perfectly.

I have a good understanding of the basic fundamentals of the game. I can block, I can punish, I can sometimes bait and stuff, and I play it safe on wakeup. However, I'm still very much a beginner. My execution isn't perfect, I don't know every single move to throw out or combo to do in specific situations. I won't even mention linking at this stage.

From my experience, there is a HUGE skill gap from beginner to intermediate in this game. You can be to the point of crossing into "intermediate" territory, but still get rolled by someone who is basically just starting out, doesn't block, and just throws out high priority moves hoping to get lucky (i.e., flowcharts). That's why it is really frustrating for me and many other players around the same "level." You know you are better than that other guy, but it just doesn't matter sometimes until you reach that "next level" (which can take weeks of practicing).

I hope all of that made sense...

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So far my limited poll of 15 people says that mondays and wednesdays are probably the worst, while tuesday is apparently the best day for people to attend. So tuesday is looking like a lock, perhaps 8-9ish right now. Thursday is looking okay, marginally better than monday or wednesday, probably around nineish. We still need more votes, I'm getting votes mostly from people who already attend ranbats, whereas I'm trying to look out for people who are not currently well served by the times, and seeing where would be a good place to get additional players. In short, what I'm trying to say is:

VOTE

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I would vote, but I'll be away from my 360 all summer, and I don't know what my fall schedule will look like.

Also, regarding the article, he has a good point but its phrased poorly. I think the main gist was that you have to be willing to try new things sometimes if you want to get better, instead of always relying on things that have worked for you in the past.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So far my limited poll of 15 people says that mondays and wednesdays are probably the worst, while tuesday is apparently the best day for people to attend. So tuesday is looking like a lock, perhaps 8-9ish right now. Thursday is looking okay, marginally better than monday or wednesday, probably around nineish. We still need more votes, I'm getting votes mostly from people who already attend ranbats, whereas I'm trying to look out for people who are not currently well served by the times, and seeing where would be a good place to get additional players. In short, what I'm trying to say is:

VOTE

I don't venture to the SE++ forums much but I know they have ran a Street Fighting topic in the past, Do we attempt to invite these bizarro world PA SFers to our little gatherings?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reaching out to SE++ has generally been tepid. I have had one person from their domain attempt to do ranbats and that is The Sneak, and he doesn't come around anymore unfortunately =/. I think they like their street fighting less structured.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    aBlank wrote: »
    get ur 360 fixed plz :[

Ns :(. Gamerdoc better get it fixed, fixed WELL, this time before I get tempted to do a "X system players are better then Y system players" debate because I'm bored.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).