As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Notebook/Vista woes

guarguar Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This morning I discovered the BSoD on my Vista machine, and after rebooting it runs at a snails pace. Firefox runs slower than normal and hangs pretty much constantly. Windows Explorer does pretty much the same. I figure reformatting will be easier than trying to fix the problem, so I start backing up my files. I don't have a lot on the machine, so there isn't much I have to transfer over to my external HDD. After another reboot, I find my external has been wiped. Not of the 'everything has been deleted' variety, but more of the 'this machine does not recognize the file system, you should format this partition before use'. Awesome.

I suppose this is more me venting than asking for advice, but if anyone can provide any insight into what is going on, I'd appreciate it.

guar on

• Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Have you checked and made sure the RAM's okay? My money's on that unless something odd's going on with the HDD.

Not really sure what would make the external drive do that unless you stopped it mid-write or something silly like that. Or again, maybe a bad HDD. But check the RAM first. Just bring up System Properties and make sure it's all there to start with.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Update?

Fagatron on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I did a reformat without fixing my external HDD; everything seems to be working as it should. I lost some stuff, but I can replace most of it.

guar on