As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Battlefield 2142 : Striketh the North!

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Alright guys boot camp tonight, Ill be on by 10 EST.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    We had a server crash. Masume lost the awesome stats he racked up, andI lost the less than awesome stats I accumulated. Afterwards, I joined another game and didn't do half bad...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Great games last night for those who were on, those were a few intense matches. The server crashed from what I can gather on that next to last one, the one where I had racked up 50+ kills and like, 4 deaths, with 60+ points. I doubt my stats were saved, so that REALLY pisses me off to no end when it happens. Not sure if the admins did that or if it just crashed...probably the clan admins.

Me and bri played more after, and had a few good rounds before my game crashed on it's lonesome. I figured that was a good sign to head to bed.

Great job to my teammates, Bri and Corvvus did a hell of a job!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Who is up for a round or three tonight?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I will be on, report in soldiers!

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Let's not do that server again soon.

Or Ever. Ever is good.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Let's not do that server again soon.

Or Ever. Ever is good.

It was brutal, we were just on the wrong side of the equation for ass kicking. I can only kill so many!

I usually play on the lazy bastards and a few others, but there are never many slots open, and I try to hit ones with at least several free so others can join.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Game time on this fine friday night?

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'll be in tonight actually, even though it's 1am.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:

I had to sleep...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:
    cakemikz wrote:
    If you truly believe this game is more infantry based, I may have to pick this up.

It's a FAR better mix of vehicles and infatry than BF2 ever was. There are far more ways to combat vehicles, with motion mines and the Pilum, which can basically take out tanks in one hit in the proper place (A hallmark of 1942 gameplay, which I missed). Jets are lightyears away from the powerhouses they were, and now serve supporting roles for the most part (IE they cant bomb everything into oblivion)

So...no more jet ninja'ing for me? :cry:
    Masume wrote:

I had to sleep...

Suck it up laughing man, haxor someones cyberbrain to play for you.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    leaf wrote:
    Suck it up laughing man, haxor someones cyberbrain to play for you.

I could do that, yes. But it would defeat the purpose.

It is like Pepsi zero or whatever they call it: Not only is it empty of ingredients, but tasteless to boot.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    OzmodaiOzmodai Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay let us play.

I'll only be using the portable AA gun tonight. Thank you very much.

Looking forward to contributing to the team.

Ozmodai on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ozmodai wrote:
    Okay let us play.

Hows the portable AA rocket thing anyway?

Ive heard it sucks the future balls.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ozmodai wrote:
    Okay let us play.

Hows the portable AA rocket thing anyway?

Ive heard it sucks the future balls.

I don't know. I just recently unlocked it, and I have not mastered it yet.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's actually not bad. I like it. The only problem is that there is a bug where occasionally it doesn't lock onto transports. You also need to be somewhat up high or overlooking something to use it as you have to maintain a lock onto the air vehicle. But, with that said, a couple of rockets'll take out a gunship easily.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ToyD wrote:
    It's actually not bad. I like it. The only problem is that there is a bug where occasionally it doesn't lock onto transports. You also need to be somewhat up high or overlooking something to use it as you have to maintain a lock onto the air vehicle. But, with that said, a couple of rockets'll take out a gunship easily.

That would explain why I can't get a tone sometimes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There is a trick guys with using the lock on system. You don't necessarily have to have the lock on reticle or tone for the missles to hit. Anything you pretty much fire at AIR wise will auto seek, you just have to make sure that the missles have to fly relatively STRAIGHT to their target. If you are lining it up perpindiuclar to the target the missiles will arc and miss for the most part. If you line up a transport on it's ass and don't have a lock, just make sure you line up your firing target and let loose. The missiles will auto hit it even if it turns.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    AIR? And with the SAAW, I've never had it auto-home on anything. I have to maintain the lock unless it only has to fly straight at the target. With transport, often the only time you see them are when they are travelling laterally to your position, otherwise they appear/disappear much faster for you since you don't see them just as they are visible to you (i.e. directly behind you).

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ToyD wrote:
    AIR? And with the SAAW, I've never had it auto-home on anything. I have to maintain the lock unless it only has to fly straight at the target. With transport, often the only time you see them are when they are travelling laterally to your position, otherwise they appear/disappear much faster for you since you don't see them just as they are visible to you (i.e. directly behind you).

I was using caps to make a point, sorry. AIR as in gunships and transports, attacking from another gunship. I honestly haven't even bothered to unlock the SAAW as an engie, in my opinion it's mostly useless. If it didn't replace your main Anti-Armor weapon then fine, but give me a Pilum or they will give me death. Besides, you can shoot planes out of the air with it anyways....well, somewhat. (If their stupid enough to hover or attempt a cap)

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chizzer reporting for duty.

Chizzer on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:
    I was using caps to make a point, sorry. AIR as in gunships and transports, attacking from another gunship. I honestly haven't even bothered to unlock the SAAW as an engie, in my opinion it's mostly useless. If it didn't replace your main Anti-Armor weapon then fine, but give me a Pilum or they will give me death. Besides, you can shoot planes out of the air with it anyways....well, somewhat. (If their stupid enough to hover or attempt a cap)

Bahah, sorry, I saw the caps and automagically assumed acronym. I work them them entirely too much. And yes, the SAAW is definately not worthy of a replacement for the pilum in most cases. I've field unlocked it quite a bit. in a FEW situations I've found it useful in maps where air is dominating everything. But, mostly what I find is that in any map where air seems overpowering, as soon as I swap to the SAAW, I find out just how much I was using my pilum on all the vehicles without paying much attention to it. The pilum is FAR more valuable, but it's certainly harder to hit planes with it ;-P Right now I'm trying to figure out the exact right strategery for motion mines. I've been trying to hide them a lot, and last night I ran into a problem where I hid them behind a fence, but when someone drove by, they rose up (the guy drove full speed right by them) then just fell to the ground again. I'm not sure if that was a bug or what, but was pretty frustrating to see my carefully laid trap foiled somehow.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ToyD wrote:
    Masume wrote:

Bahah, sorry, I saw the caps and automagically assumed acronym. I work them them entirely too much. And yes, the SAAW is definately not worthy of a replacement for the pilum in most cases. I've field unlocked it quite a bit. in a FEW situations I've found it useful in maps where air is dominating everything. But, mostly what I find is that in any map where air seems overpowering, as soon as I swap to the SAAW, I find out just how much I was using my pilum on all the vehicles without paying much attention to it. The pilum is FAR more valuable, but it's certainly harder to hit planes with it ;-P Right now I'm trying to figure out the exact right strategery for motion mines. I've been trying to hide them a lot, and last night I ran into a problem where I hid them behind a fence, but when someone drove by, they rose up (the guy drove full speed right by them) then just fell to the ground again. I'm not sure if that was a bug or what, but was pretty frustrating to see my carefully laid trap foiled somehow.

Hehe yeah motion mines are one of those things that you have to think out based on the map and what vehicles are available. Jeeps are probably the hardest to plan for, since they can normally drive by/boost past most mines if they have no need to stop. A couple of tips though, to help:

1. On maps with narrow/one way roads, mix up motion mines with emp mines, especially if your expecting jeeps. They will hit the emp, stall, then BOOM.

2. Plant a few mines around the corner of an entryway, but be sure to plant mines near the actual cap point/silo. If a jeep gets by the entry mines to cap, the cap mines will hit it. Also, it's a great way to hit landing aircraft if they are trying to cap.

I'll think of more later, phone call came in and the guys an idiot, can't think now.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yea, sounds normally what I do, but in my case the entry was limited by fences ( was a large assault map and I was at the Dry Lake, map name escapes me atm). He was in a tank so it was slow moving and he never stopped, kept up full speed. The entrance was maybe 1.5 tank widths, so he was well within detect and follow range. The mines were just behind the edge of the fence so there was no way for him to see them. But as he drove by, they just rose up as they detected his tank, but then just floated back down. I don't usually go for the emp min/motion mine kit, I normally have the defuser/motion mines on me because I like to drive tanks myself. But I was pretty frustrated at that last night. Only happened once I saw, but I couldn't figure out how long it had been going on, I was pretty busy killing everyone coming at my node.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ToyD wrote:
    Yea, sounds normally what I do, but in my case the entry was limited by fences ( was a large assault map and I was at the Dry Lake, map name escapes me atm). He was in a tank so it was slow moving and he never stopped, kept up full speed. The entrance was maybe 1.5 tank widths, so he was well within detect and follow range. The mines were just behind the edge of the fence so there was no way for him to see them. But as he drove by, they just rose up as they detected his tank, but then just floated back down. I don't usually go for the emp min/motion mine kit, I normally have the defuser/motion mines on me because I like to drive tanks myself. But I was pretty frustrated at that last night. Only happened once I saw, but I couldn't figure out how long it had been going on, I was pretty busy killing everyone coming at my node.

Odd, a tank at full speed can't even dream to outrun mines...maybe lag or he just got lucky, it can happen. Fences might have gotten in the way too perhaps.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:
    ToyD wrote:

Odd, a tank at full speed can't even dream to outrun mines...maybe lag or he just got lucky, it can happen. Fences might have gotten in the way too perhaps.

Yeah I'd say the mines got caught on the fence.

I find it's easier to just plop mines down in the middle of the road and be done with it. Few people take the defuser so it's pretty safe as long as you line them up so you cant just drive around.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:
    ToyD wrote:

Yeah I'd say the mines got caught on the fence.

I find it's easier to just plop mines down in the middle of the road and be done with it. Few people take the defuser so it's pretty safe as long as you line them up so you cant just drive around.

Ah yes! That was my other suggestion for mine laying.

If you don't want to lose the diffuser kit for the Emp mine, a good strat is to *stagger* your mines a decent distance away from each other. What ends up happening is this.

A. Jeep driver sees mines, figures on boosting through the first one...uses up boost by the time he hits the last of them, gets blown away.

B. Tank tries to drive around the first one he sees, ends up caught in the middle of several

C. it will take a minute or so for an engie with a diffuser to get out of tank, diffuse mine, get back in tank, drive, get out, diffuse mine...if he's stupid he'll run down the road to diffuse, then he's dead and you have a free tank.

I LOVE doing this on the smaller infantry map, where one side has a mach and a jeep right at the start, with only one road going up the hill more or less. Stagger those suckers, its an easy 1-3 kill on the jeep guys who try to get to the back cap.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Maybe. I have no idea if they got caught on the fence although it's possible if they clipped into it. I chocked it up to a bug of some sort. Was just really irked when it happened. Oh well, nuance discovered, HOORAY.

I've had great luck killing everything but walkers. Still working on my tactics there, but I said that earlier in the thread. APCs are my favorite to kill. Esp in a tank since an APC can't hurt a tank at all, even though people waste all kinds of bullets and anti-personnel grenades on it.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There really isn't any point in hiding rolling mines now that I think about it. They take a bit to start moving anyway and suck at getting around things so that really could of hurt you there.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    There really isn't any point in hiding rolling mines now that I think about it. They take a bit to start moving anyway and suck at getting around things so that really could of hurt you there.

It depends on the map, there are plenty of places where hiding them around a corner is MUCH better than in plain view, if you want to get any kills. Again, it depends on the terrain and where it's at. I've gotten used to knowing some sweet spots.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I dunno I just find that they seem to be too unreliable to use from a hiding spot. But hey if it works for you all the better. I just have had way better luck using them as mines before rollers.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I like to hide them. As a driver, I can spot a mined silo from quite a ways off if they've set them out in the open. So I stop, shoot everything until my gunner finishes defusing the silo. Hiding them means I won't even slow down before I'm in range.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I dunno I just find that they seem to be too unreliable to use from a hiding spot. But hey if it works for you all the better. I just have had way better luck using them as mines before rollers.

Often you'll find the smaller pyramid 'tank stoppers' lining the sides of an entrance on some maps. You can easily hide the mines behind those, they'll rise above them for an easy kill. Keep in mind you can also hide them underneath other vehicles, you could park a jeep near an entrance and throw a bunch under as well.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:

Often you'll find the smaller pyramid 'tank stoppers' lining the sides of an entrance on some maps. You can easily hide the mines behind those, they'll rise above them for an easy kill. Keep in mind you can also hide them underneath other vehicles, you could park a jeep near an entrance and throw a bunch under as well.

Yeah but if you can lay down a minefield to close a road off thats more useful then getting a kill or two. I guess it really just depends on the map and situation.

Also I never noticed that parachuting onto someone will kill them. :lol:

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Masume wrote:

Yeah but if you can lay down a minefield to close a road off thats more useful then getting a kill or two. I guess it really just depends on the map and situation.

Also I never noticed that parachuting onto someone will kill them. :lol:

Ya see though, more often than not, it only cuts the road off long enough for the opposing engie to run out and deact the mines, since their all in plain sight. The other way, they drive right by, then die. Plus, it does nothing to help against air transports.

I don't believe I've killed anyone while parachuting, although the pods obviously will kill.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    VaLiantineVaLiantine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well I was going to wait it out and see what Bad Company had to offer. But it looks like I'll put on my Battlefield chaps and ride into battle again.

VaLiantine on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I can't be starting a game at midnight when I need to be up at 6 AM.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    J.Bri, I see you online a lot when I start it up, but never in a game. I been wanting to play with the PA folks, but you're the only one I've seen on my friends list that's online when I am, but never in a server when I start it up.

I usually play with a RL friend of mine from back home, so we'll kick it on a titan server for quick points (although we're not opposed to conquest at all).

VOIP is a must tho, we'll ditch a server if the VOIP isn't working.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just picked this up the other day.

Landing on an enemy with the pod will never stop being funny... Ever.

Player name: Grimmsy

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ToyD wrote:
    J.Bri, I see you online a lot when I start it up, but never in a game. I been wanting to play with the PA folks, but you're the only one I've seen on my friends list that's online when I am, but never in a server when I start it up.

I usually play with a RL friend of mine from back home, so we'll kick it on a titan server for quick points (although we're not opposed to conquest at all).

VOIP is a must tho, we'll ditch a server if the VOIP isn't working.

I'm on most nights, and usually Bri will idle waiting on me so he can be my gunner. I just haven't been on the last few days, some very, very busy things going on, but I was in for a few hours last night and getting back on schedule.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume