Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Super Meat Boy: A game about jumping

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Super Meat Boy is a 2D platformer where you have to jump.

You are a boy, made out of meat.

Super Meat Boy Advert

Looks pretty neato right?

Here's the important information:
The Developer, Team Meat, is made up of Edmund McMillen (Gish, Cunt, Aether, Spewer, Time Fcuk, and he helped with Braid) and Tommy Refenes, who did this rather excellent rant at GDC2010

Tommy on the iPhone app store

It's coming to PC/Mac/Wiiware/XBLA. It's going to be on Steam, and directly from the developers site.
The PC version will have a level editor, added some time after release.
They are being pretty open about some elements of the game design. See blog posts on difficulty and risk/reward.
It features unlockable characters from a bunch of other indie games. Tim from Braid, Alien Hominid from Alien Hominid, Commander Video from Bit.Trip, Flywrench from Flywrench and Ogmo from Jumper. All play completely differently, and control like you would expect them to from their own games.

Reviews:
SMB is a platformer that is worthy of that acronym. It’s fantastic looking, challenging and fair. The fiendish level design towards the end holds nothing back, and is rightly demanding of the player. In its head is forward thinking game design, in its heart is reverence for the games that have come before it, and on its face is a huge grin and a focused stare.
Super Meat Boy is one of the best modern platformers. It's infuriating, exasperating, and arduous, but it's also delightful, thrilling, and hilarious. The NES games of yore were simultaneously simpler and more challenging than today's games, a quality perfectly emulated here. Invite some friends over and pass the controller around -- you're gonna need all the help you can get.
First there was Donkey Kong, then came Mario, Mega Man, and Sonic. Now we have Meat Boy. The world's newest 2D platforming legend has arrived.
Super Meat Boy may be one of the most frustrating games I've played in recent memory. No other game has had me cursing at the screen with such frequency, had me so close to throwing my controller at the wall so often -- and yet, I absolutely loved every minute of it. Maybe that sounds a little too much like Stockholm syndrome, but in reality it's thanks to the game's strange sense of humor and some solid design.

Because of Microsoft's MS points promotion thing, if you spend 2,400 ms points in October, you get 800 back.

Also, for a limited time at release, the game will only be 800 MS Points. It will go back up to it's regular price of 1,200 MS points in November.

LewieP on

This discussion has been closed.