As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Meat Boy: A game about jumping

1565758596062»

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That physical soundtrack has the most awesome cover art ever.

1692197916-1.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That album art is indeed awesome, I think I may go ahead and buy that in a few minutes - $10 seems like a reasonable price.

Finally beat light world Dr. Fetus last night, got light & dark worlds 1-4 completely A+'d....sitting around rank 4300 or so, which I feel good about, ever so slowly inching toward (and probably never to quite reach) Adus' times at the top of my board :)

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcturasArcturas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Woo! Finally beat Dr. Fetus! (including the first third of Cotton Alley) Now to keep plugging away on dark worlds and A+'ing stuff...

Arcturas on
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I wonder how many death threats the makers of this game have got because of the difficulty?

kleinfehn on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It amuses me how iconic the artwork is becoming. I bet it will pop up years down the road.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    kleinfehn wrote: »
    I wonder how many death threats the makers of this game have got because of the difficulty?

I wonder if they just drew out the stages and played through them theoretically. They know it is possible to beat them, but they just haven't done it themselves.

Also, some of those achievements are downright impossible. I firmly believe that no normal human being could possibly beat the Cotton Alley without dying.

And yes Josh, that is a challenge.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    iirc, Ed did a complete run through in 8 hours immediately before release.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

I wonder if they just drew out the stages and played through them theoretically. They know it is possible to beat them, but they just haven't done it themselves.

Also, some of those achievements are downright impossible. I firmly believe that no normal human being could possibly beat the Cotton Alley without dying.

I didn't think Josh did 'not dying', I thought he was more of the ilk 'throw yourself head first, speedily, in to sharp spinning things'.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    LewieP wrote: »

Oh :oops:

I was more or less trying to make myself feel better but yeah. I am just average at this game like the rest.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I didn't think Josh did 'not dying', I thought he was more of the ilk 'throw yourself head first, speedily, in to sharp spinning things'.

I do that on speed runs, but I do have the Squirrel Boy and Needle Boy achievements, so clearly I'm doing some careful runs as well

If I go after the other no death achievements, it's not gonna be anytime soon

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

World 1 and 2 seem fairly easy for no-death, 3 would be aggravating, 4 would make me want to break something, and the others would be slightly before the heat death of the universe.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deathwing wrote: »

World 1 and 2 seem fairly easy for no-death, 3 would be aggravating, 4 would make me want to break something, and the others would be slightly before the heat death of the universe.

World 1X is still pretty tough to get the achievement on

1 slipup and that's it, gotta start over

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, "easy" isn't saying a whole lot still :)

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    LewieP wrote: »

Oh :oops:

I was more or less trying to make myself feel better but yeah. I am just average at this game like the rest.

If a dumbass dev like me can wrap his head around "the developer is obligated by gentleman's rules to clear the game on the highest setting before release", then the Meat Boy guys had to have known that as well.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, tonight I sat down with one goal: to finish Super Meat Boy. I had only two WZs left in Rapture: Skyscraper and Meat is Death. The last 4 bandages until I got Mr. Minecraft, and my Retro achievement.

Skyscraper was soul-crushing. Possibly my least favorite WZ simply because of its second stage. It's not too hard, but there's plenty of opportunity for something to go wrong, especially when the level itself isn't that small... and then they force you to go through it again after you get the bandage. :x Meat is Death on the other hand was a breeze, and I'm glad I saved it for last, to wash off the bad taste Skyscraper left in my mouth.

After that I went through The End LW and DW, as well as its Glitch WZ. Probably the easiest Glitch WZ in the whole game, IMO.

I'm gonna go ahead and say the second part of Dr. Fetus DW was the first time in this game that I wasn't having any degree of fun. It was an absolute chore. The camera shaking made some jumps feel harder than they should be, and that set of two horizontal saws + one vertical saw + rotating saw + wall saw almost made ragequit.

And now onward to Cotton Alley to get my 100%.

SMBStatsPre-CottonAlley.jpg

Taking bets on how many deaths I'll add to that count by the time I'm done with CA :P

aunsoph on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cotton Valley actually isn't a huge step up in difficulty from The End. I'd say it's about the same as going from any world to the next. That said, probably 500 deaths.

Adus on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If at least one of the devs wasn't a fan of super hard platformers I can't imagine they would have made this game in the first place.

Zek on
  • Options
    Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been poking away at this game since its release, still in Rapture somewhere, while trying to clear the dark world starting from world 1 (and bandages which sometimes waste my time I guess). My wife sees me get frustrated and says "why don't you play something else? This game always makes you mad" then I go and play Peggle or Magic or Raskulls...

Gaspode_T on
    Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd rather be mad than sad

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, trust me I really love the game, maybe I'm a masochist after all...

This is game to determine where you are on the S&M scale.

Trying to get the bandages without looking at YouTube! So hard to resist! YouTube ruined Braid for me :P

Gaspode_T on
    Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gaspode_T wrote: »
    Yeah, trust me I really love the game, maybe I'm a masochist after all...

This is game to determine where you are on the S&M scale.

Trying to get the bandages without looking at YouTube! So hard to resist! YouTube ruined Braid for me :P

That level in the rewind shadow world where there's a puzzle piece just out of reach, even when you jump on the baddie's head? That took me way longer than pretty much any level in Super Meat Boy so far, except for 5-5. And I eventually cheated on it. Alas, no amount of YouTube watching can spoil SMB levels. >:-|

Frem on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh I'm sure they love the game, and they adhere to all sorts of developer rules, but my poor brain just can't comprehend some of these accomplishments. I simply don't want to believe it.

Icemopper on
This discussion has been closed.