As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dark Fantasy Book's Name -Help

SloSlo Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright, i read this book like 7 years ago, it was a book at the end of a series, I never read the others, but the story and what not has suddenly popped into my head and I want to re-read the book, and mayhaps the whole series.

WHAT I CAN RECALL

Takes place in the future, people get entertainment not through movies per se, but through these videos that were recorded through people had implants.

THE TWIST:

Theres a seperate world attached to earth, called ____something. It has ogres, elves, dwarves and magic. The magic system is based on controlling your 'Flow' which is an aura. Elves could only create illusions with their flow, ogres had giant thumbnail blade things which they used as a weapon and a status symbol.

The recorders got sent into this world to make awesome movies about killin dragons and whatnot.

They were trained in an academy that was split into two, magic, and combat. To be in combat school you had to be a HUUUUUGE muscle builder type guy.

Except for the main character, whose name was Cain (I Think). He was just so crazy that he beat the crap out of guys 4 times his size.

In the book that I was reading, he spends most of his time in a shithole of a prison, with his spine broken, and having a whole crapton of people trying to kill him. (He made enemies in the other books i guess) Than it turns out he has this weird kind of Flow aura around him, and all hell breaks loose.

Yea, I think if anyone knows the book they should be able to get it from that?

Slo on

• IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like you are referring to the Acts of Caine series, by Matthew Stover. Specifically the second book, Blade of Tyshalle.

Irtehmongoose on
  • Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like you are referring to the Acts of Caine series, by Matthew Stover. Specifically the second book, Blade of Tyshalle.

or you could be having a bad acid flashback from a saturday morning munching LSD and watching the smurfs

Natas_Xnoybis on
    I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

or you could be having a bad acid flashback from a saturday morning munching LSD and watching the smurfs

No, I'm pretty sure this was a real book.

Klorgnum on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinking Mongoose has it right, you're looking for Blade of Tyshalle by Stover.
    First book is Heroes Die, and tells you how he got his spine fucked up. Third book is Caine: Black Knife and tells the story of Caines first big adventure, as well as what's going on after Blade. The fourth book in the series is being written now.

see317 on
  • SloSlo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yessssss. Thankyou. Thats it.

Slo on