As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why does my TV do this?

Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I just bought this TV from a friend of mine for $300... of course it was a deal too good to be true and I found out why today when it did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeMV477Benw

Anybody know why it is doing that, and how do I fix it? I have only had the TV 3 days and it will randomly happen for a few minutes and then stop. I am running my laptop and PS3 through HDMI.

Regicid3 on

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cant really tell from the vid what type of tv it is. Bit more information and I'll let you know most likely issues.

edit
    <- im a TV electrical engineer btw

Prime on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What is hooked up to it in the video and what were you trying to do with it at the time?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have my laptop and PS3 each hooked up to the two HDMI ports on the TV. It has happened when I was playing music and the other time I was watching Breaking Bad. It is a Westinghouse HDTV... I don't really know why model specifically though and don't see it on the actual television itself.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What kind of hdmi cables are you using? Not the 99 cent ones from amazon I hope? If you're using the super cheap 99 cent cable, the copper is so tiny of a gauge that it gets brittle inside of the insulation, snaps, and then weird shit like that can happen. Also, it looks that might be windows in the video, so are you sure that your video out settings are fully supported by the tv? aka sending out a 120hz signal to a 60 hz tv or something.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Try isolating the issue. Run it in Component for a while to see if it still does it. If not, you know it's either the HDMI cable or port.

urahonky on