As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    She was never fit.

zeeny on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    She had a match point. Make it respectable and go down in the QF.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Clijsters is coming off some pretty serious injuries, and she hadn't played a match in a while. Hell, according to her, she only started practicing for the French Open two weeks ago. Also, how in the fuck can you say Clijsters isn't fit? She's like the queen of doing this: Kim+Clijsters+at+full+stretch+slices+a+forehand+back.JPG

Edit: Sharapova is getting her ass handed to her. She had been doing so well (comparatively) this clay court season. I figured this would be the year she could make it to the Quarters. Though, if my predictions hold true, she would face Radwanska in the Quarters, and I don't think she can take Radwanska on clay.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    She's not just getting her ass handed to her, she's getting it handed to her by the 188 ranked player. A player who has won less than $60K in her entire career.

That's gotta sting.

EDIT: Never mind. She regained the 2 breaks she was down. I imagine she'll kick her unseeded ass now.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Clijsters is coming off some pretty serious injuries, and she hadn't played a match in a while. Hell, according to her, she only started practicing for the French Open two weeks ago. Also, how in the fuck can you say Clijsters isn't fit? She's like the queen of doing this: Kim+Clijsters+at+full+stretch+slices+a+forehand+back.JPG

I watched the match. At no point in it was Clijsters moving well, nor did she seem particularly interested even while cruising. She has also gained weight. Therefore, I was pointing out that while it's a surprise that she lost, she was never fit.
    Garcia is 17. I she supposed ot have won 2 millions?

zeeny on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    zeeny wrote: »
    Garcia is 17. I she supposed ot have won 2 millions?

She's an unproven player playing against the #7 seed. Am I supposed to be unsurprised that she did so well in the first set and most of the second?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not at all, but why bring money in it? It's windy and Shazza always goes off with the wind. That's how A Rad beat her years ago @ The US and that's how she lost in Dubai to I don't remember who(was it Cibulkova?)...facts of life.

Edit: Naaah, Shazza never lost to Cib in Dubai so I have no clue what I'm remembering....but I've seen it!

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Man, Meltzer lost too, there went my dark horse choice. Querrey & Davydenko lost too (I think Davydenko might be through, he's going on a Michael Chang trajectory).

I know, I'm going to root for the Dog now, let him get to the QF here as well, reach all the QFs this year Dolgopolov.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Everyone is dropping now, bye bye Wozniacki, Youznhy & Stosur.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wozniacki is no surprise. Stosur, though. Man.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wozniacki is no surprise. Stosur, though. Man.

The sooner the WTA gets rid of her and the game she practices the better. You can't have a no1 with single digit winners match after match.
    Stosur was really, really off. Then suddenly she couldn't hit a ball wrong, only to collapse while serving for 3:0 in the third. Goerges lost too. That side of the draw is empty now.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I didn't watch it (and it sure seemed like no one was paying attention to it today) but the Fognini/Montanes match was epic in both time, Fognini being a motherplucking cheater, Montanes being unable to convert 10 match points, and the ATP being pants on head stupid with regard to medical timeouts. They have rules for timeouts, and they need to be used correctly.

Zvonareva lost, Wawrinka lost to Federer (really pissed me off because he just conceded that third set when Fed broke back), and Gasquet put up no fight to Djokovic.

Bartoli looked on fire though with a laser of a backhand, and this Monfils/Ferrer match looks promising so far.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fognini also allowed Djokovic to cruise to his semifinal match with Roger... At this rate, I have no idea when we will see his streak end.

Rafa beat Soderling, and I have no doubt that Rafa will beat Murray. Murray has, by his own admission, "been taking more pills than Ozzy Osbourne" for a torn ligament in his ankle. Meanwhile, Federer is the only person still in the running who hasn't dropped a set all tournament, but I'm not sure how much that counts when it comes to playing Nole.

I find myself praying that Sharapova and Bartoli lose on the Women's side, but that's because I can't stand either of them on or off the court.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Li Na and Schiavone in the final, not what I was expecting. Honestly, I felt like Schiavone's win last year was kind of a fluke, as Roland Garros has the most number of out of the blue finalists of the big tournaments (the Byrans lost to a ragtag doubles team today), but I guess she really has hit her peak.

Nadal will probably win in straight sets, Federer/Djokovic is a coin toss but I can see it ending in 4 sets either way.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I feel terrible that I missed it, but from what my friends are saying, well done Federer for winning a very, very good match.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Federer was playing insane. He was faster than I have seen him in a long, long time, and I think it's saying something when I describe him as "fast" as compared to Djokovic. It was a well deserved win for Federer, and Mirka was actually watching the match and not on her phone every time they showed her. :P

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nadal was hitting corner shots that were just insane. I mean, right on the line so it also picks up a bit of speed.

Should be a good final, and hopefully not a '08 level beatdown Nadal gave Federer.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That Federer Djokovic match was crazy. The crowd was going nuts towards the end. Great stuff, I love tennis.

xraydog on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The fourth set was ridiculously tense.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Good final today, it seemed so weird the first 6 games the way Nadal was getting pushed around, then he sank into his usual king of clay role. Federer also has a habit of trying to end games/sets/matches with flashy finishes, and had he not done that drop shop in the first set he might have made the match much easier on himself. The NBC crew said Federer looked to be in the best shape he's been in, but I would disagree, he just looked lighter, which would explain his added speed.

As for the Women's final, glad Li won, the funniest thing about the match was how the commentators kept trying to bite their tongues and avoid anything overly critical of China and how they raise and train athletes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Good final today, it seemed so weird the first 6 games the way Nadal was getting pushed around, then he sank into his usual king of clay role. Federer also has a habit of trying to end games/sets/matches with flashy finishes, and had he not done that drop shop in the first set he might have made the match much easier on himself. The NBC crew said Federer looked to be in the best shape he's been in, but I would disagree, he just looked lighter, which would explain his added speed.

As for the Women's final, glad Li won, the funniest thing about the match was how the commentators kept trying to bite their tongues and avoid anything overly critical of China and how they raise and train athletes.

It was kind of weird seeing Li accept the award as the Chinese anthem played. She doesn't really get along with the party line in China and has basically told a lot of the governing bodies for sports to fuck off.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Anyone up for another Racquet Bracket?

ATP: http://www.tourneytopia.com/RacquetBracketWimbledonATP/WimbledonATP/default.aspx

WTA: http://www.tourneytopia.com/RacquetBracketwimbledonWTA/wimbledonWTA/default.aspx

I will set up a Private Group for PA folks shortly. It's free and all that good stuff. Just a fun way to predict the tournament and have a good time.

Edit: http://www.tourneytopia.com/RacquetBracketWimbledonATP/pennyarcade/Pre-Register.aspx

That's our Private Pool. If you want to submit picks for the main draw, there is an option to just transfer them over to our pool without having to manually reenter them. It's a nice feature.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Did the draw, I have Nadal winning it over Federer, but the semis being Nadal/Roddick and Federer/Hewitt (he still has one more run left!)

Nadal's side of the draw is completely jacked up. Del Potro could be a problem, as would Roddick and Fish/Berdych.

Federer really only has Murray and possibly Hewitt if he catches fire, as I expect Djokovic to flake out.

As far as the ladies go, I pick Li Na to win this one, just because I like her style and I don't like Serena Williams. Don't really know what Venus will do, and I hope if Li can't win, Stosur can come back on grass and win it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Did the draw, I have Nadal winning it over Federer, but the semis being Nadal/Roddick and Federer/Hewitt (he still has one more run left!)

Nadal's side of the draw is completely jacked up. Del Potro could be a problem, as would Roddick and Fish/Berdych.

Federer really only has Murray and possibly Hewitt if he catches fire, as I expect Djokovic to flake out.

As far as the ladies go, I pick Li Na to win this one, just because I like her style and I don't like Serena Williams. Don't really know what Venus will do, and I hope if Li can't win, Stosur can come back on grass and win it.

Hewitt is normally a solid pick, but isn't he injured right now?

Edit: Also, how on earth have we not mentioned that Isner and Mahut are playing again? This madness is happening tomorrow. I can't wait.

I don't buy what anyone says about it, Murray always seems like he's under way more pressure at Wimbledon than elsewhere. I can't believe he dropped a set to Gimeno-Traver and hasn't broken him in the second set.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Isner/Mahut 2
    They serve aces at each other until they die from exhaustion

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Isner/Mahut 2
    They serve aces at each other until they die from exhaustion

No, we're talking about the rematch. :P

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Uneventful Isner/Mahut match, 3 sets.

Everything else seemed to go normally.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I guess the big «surprises» today are that Jankovic and Stosur went out. Wozniacki was morre aggressiive than I have ever seen her today, which is a long time coming.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Roddick is gone, not a surprise anymore. Even the BBC commentators (and Becker) were all "wtf is he doing so far behind the baseline?"

One thing I do wish, after seeing the Hantuchova/Azarenka match and the FO final, is that when a rain delay happens, either let the game finish up or ask if the two want to restart the game from love if they want to leave immediately. Coming back from the rain delay it seemed as though Hantuchova wasn't really able to get comfortable and two points later she's broken again.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not going to say Roddick should retire, because, y'know, he could still ace my ass. But he should definitely change something up. Maybe take a year off and switch coaches and try to figure out why he lacks the X-factor that Nadal and Djokovic have been showing lately.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not going to say Roddick should retire, because, y'know, he could still ace my ass. But he should definitely change something up. Maybe take a year off and switch coaches and try to figure out why he lacks the X-factor that Nadal and Djokovic have been showing lately.

I'm going to say he should retire.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This Nadal/Del Potro match is really good, Nadal's injured so the two have resorted to just clubbing the ball and seeing who flinches first.

Youznhy got the first set off Federer too, and Fish is leading Berdych by two sets, this is looking like a good day.

Bartoli beat Serena Williams, that's so good since Serena tried to play the race card with why she wasn't playing on Center Court (how about because you rarely play anymore and Li Na just won the FO, stupid?). Venus and Wozniacki are also out.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, Feds couldn't handle Jo Willy's power at the end. Is it safe to officially say the clock is ticking with him?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eh, probably not after how he played at the French Open this year...

Although, this does make the semis a bit more interesting. If Djokovic beats Tsonga, he will take the #1 ranking.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalyonsusMalyonsus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Via the BBC, Federer said this after the match:
    Federer wrote:
    I was pretty pleased with my performance today and at least it took a special performance to beat me. He played an amzing match and didn't give me much hope.

This might be the most complimentary thing I've ever heard Federer say about anyone, ever.

Malyonsus on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Malyonsus wrote: »
    Via the BBC, Federer said this after the match:
    Federer wrote:
    I was pretty pleased with my performance today and at least it took a special performance to beat me. He played an amzing match and didn't give me much hope.

This might be the most complimentary thing I've ever heard Federer say about anyone, ever.

Yeah, that is very high praise from his Roger-ness.

Tsonga's service game was simply amazing today. Even Federer at his pinpoint best of 5 years ago would have been hard pressed to break that shit.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've got the match recorded, will watch tonight. It sounds like a power game similar to when Safin and Federer would play 5 years ago. I saw the first set and it looked rather one sided (both Djokovic and Federer), but then in the second things got interesting on both ends.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Having watched the match, it's clear that Tsonga is essentially doing what Roddick was doing 2004. Strong angled serve, flat powerful forehand, running to the net to finish points.

This is exactly what Roddick did in his Wimbledon 2004 run, almost textbook. And it works really well.

Nadal looked good in his match, but Fish never really pressed him despite winning a set, probably beats Murray in 4, depending on how much weight the UK puts on his shoulders yet again.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Looking like Tsonga used all his mojo against the Roger.
    1st set was really close, untill Jo-Willy decided to double fault after a beautiful ace at 15-30 while leading the set 4-5 and give Djocovic a chance tie up and then to a tie-break that Novak dominated.

2nd set was just an ass-whooping, with lots of unforced errors on Tsonga and Djokovic easily holding serve throughout.

3rd set is looking a lot like the 2nd, so there's pretty much no chance he can make a match of it.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    That was the fastest I've seen Nadal ever play in terms of footspeed, Juan Carlos Ferrero fast.

A new #1 no matter what on Sunday, but I look forward to the match. If Nadal wins it, he's going to be my vote for greatest player ever, simply because he now has 2 rivals with Djokovic arriving this year, whereas Federer only had Nadal.

TexiKen on