As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laggy iphone

elevatureelevature Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My iPhone 3GS has been lagging a lot lately. Mostly on the slide to unlock screen, when I unlock it it takes a couple seconds for "slide to unlock" to light up, and when i do slide the slider hangs around half way across. There's also lag when I input my passcode, and sometimes when changing home screens or when typing. Rebooting used to fix this for a few days but now even that doesn't work. I want to avoid a full restore but that may be my only option. Has anyone else experienced this?

elevature on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Have you jailbroken it or some shit?

How much free drive space do you have on it?

Jasconius on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mine does it every now and again. Usually, it has a low battery at the same time. I assumed it was because I had a 3G and that a 3GS wouldn't do it, but I guess that's not the case.

My advice would be to battery cycle it. Run the battery dead, charge non-stop until full, twice. I'm not sure why this would fix your issue but if it is battery-related, it might, and it's just decent advice for rechargeable batteries anyway.

If you back up the phone through iTunes then a full restore wouldn't result in any data loss, would it? Is there another reason you're reticent to do this? Last time I had to restore from backup it took a few hours but I had everything I should have done.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Not jailbroken, about 500mb free. I cycled the battery a few days ago and it didn't help, but maybe I should try again? My uncertainty about restoring is a combination of it being a hassle and a fear of data loss even though I know the backup should work fine. I know if I go to the apple store they'll tell me to try that so I may just bite the bullet.

elevature on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ooh, 500MB free? That might be it. Most devices will use storage space as memory under high-stress situations (although admittedly, simply unlocking it shouldn't be high-stress).

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    500MB should be more than enough. Any app that is using virtual space will be shut off when caps start being reached.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just do a restore. As long as you backup nothing bad will happen.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I restored it and everything seems to be fine so far, but I'll give it a couple of days to be sure. The only thing i lost was my music, but I have all that on my computer anyway. Thanks for the advice.

elevature on