As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Expensive OEM wheels and my options

Zul the ConquerorZul the Conqueror Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. It looks a lot like this one and I think it is dead sexy.

I've managed to give the wheels a bit of curb rash over the years (as you can see, the tires provide no buffer to scraping the wheels.) I'd like to replace them, but I've never found an aftermarket wheel that I thought looked nearly as good as the OEM ones. Since the damage is just aesthetic, I'm not going to buy new wheels that I don't think look at least as pretty.

So, the problem is that the OEM wheels cost upwards of $400 each, and I haven't won the lottery yet, so I can't afford to spend that much on making my car pretty. My other options seem to be to buy new knockoff wheels or remanufactured OEM wheels. Either of these options seems to come in about $180.

And so I turn to the car gurus of H/A: are knockoff wheels safe and could I use one or more with the remaining OEM wheels? Are remanufactured wheels the deathtraps the internet thinks they are? Are there any more or less reputable wheel remanufacturers, or any way to know I'm getting a safe wheel?

Alternatively, feel free to suggest aftermarket wheels that you think are as dead sexy as the originals.

Zul the Conqueror on

• Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Have you looked into the option of having your wheels repaired? I did this when I scraped a curb. Unfortunately for me they weren't able to match the color of my wheels (but they weren't a common color like yours) but it was definitely a much cheaper option and might be worth researching.

Personally, I wouldn't feel safe running a mixed set of wheels. I guess if you absolutely HAD to do it, you could maybe consider doing it in pairs (both fronts or both rears).

Someone else will need to address your questions about knockoff or remanufactured wheels for your car, no experience in that field :)

Cryogen on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't buy knockoff wheels, it really comes down to how much you really want to make your car pretty

I recently got into an accident and have a black quarter panel on my white care because it simply isn't worth the several hundred to get it repainted

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I used to have these wheels and I'd regularly get curb rash. Getting them remanufactured (repaired) cost me about $75 per wheel.

Djeet on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Go to car club meets for Nissans

I bought a full set of OEM wheels + Pirelli tires off a guy at a meet for $100. He had just replaced his wheels with aftermarket ones and didn't need the extra set.

adytum on
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would just find a forum dedicated to that car and look in the For Sale section. People are selling stock wheels all the time when they get aftermarket ones. I would actually second the option of getting them repaired...one guy had his S2000 wheels repaired a few weeks ago. The repair guy actually drove to our workplace and did it in the parking lot! It was I think about $50 per wheel to get them all sanded and coated and touched up. If the rash isn't too bad I'd just get them repaired.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The main problem with aftermarket wheels is if you ever bust one and get a bend on it and they stop making your type of wheel you are up a creek.

As a parts salesman there is no bigger hassle than trying to find aftermarket wheels after a customer bent the hell out of one. 9/10 (which is closer to 10/10) the customer bought aftermarket wheels on clearance.

Just be ready to accept the responsibilities of buying aftermarket wheels.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490