As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    AzadIsCool wrote:
    I don't know, the fact that they are honoring returns seems pretty solid of them. They basically sold an opened product as brand new, and you likely couldn't ordinarily return that. I know at least Best Buy does not allow returns on opened game products.

I think the point is they're taking out a feature implemented by the developers of the game because they don't want to encourage people to use their vastly superior competition. Who cares if they're accepting returns? That's bullshit no matter how you slice it.

OnLive is not a feature implemented by the developers. It's a totally separate service from Deus Ex that they decided to include a coupon for. A service that's in direct competition to one that Gamestop offers. It's a conflict of interest and there isn't anything wrong with wanting to avoid promoting a competitor. Gamestop handled it in the shittiest way possible, and there is no redeeming that whatsoever, but them not wanting to have anything to do with OnLive is absolutely not bullshit.

I promise you

promise you

that OnLive paid a fucking grip to get those coupons in there

like, hundreds of thousands, probably

you don't get to be a pack-in because the dudes at the publisher are all "hey these dudes are neat and they asked nicely"

for GameStop to straight up remove their coupons and sell shit like nothing happened is so goddamned fucked up

8406wWN.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    AzadIsCool wrote:
    I don't know, the fact that they are honoring returns seems pretty solid of them. They basically sold an opened product as brand new, and you likely couldn't ordinarily return that. I know at least Best Buy does not allow returns on opened game products.

I think the point is they're taking out a feature implemented by the developers of the game because they don't want to encourage people to use their vastly superior competition. Who cares if they're accepting returns? That's bullshit no matter how you slice it.

OnLive is not a feature implemented by the developers. It's a totally separate service from Deus Ex that they decided to include a coupon for. A service that's in direct competition to one that Gamestop offers. It's a conflict of interest and there isn't anything wrong with wanting to avoid promoting a competitor. Gamestop handled it in the shittiest way possible, and there is no redeeming that whatsoever, but them not wanting to have anything to do with OnLive is absolutely not bullshit.

I promise you

promise you

you don't get to be a pack-in because the dudes at the publisher are all "hey these dudes are neat and they asked nicely"

for GameStop to straight up remove their coupons and sell shit like nothing happened is so goddamned fucked up

Well the assumption seems to be that Square didn't tell Gamestop about the coupon. I doubt they would have reacted so late if they had. There is nothing on the package whatsoever to indicate it's even a feature. It's bad business on both sides, Gamestop just reacted so fucking bad to it.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I knew this was a Deus Ex game when I crawled through my first vent.

Dammit Amazon still hasn't processed my order. I'm not going to get to play this tonight probably. :(

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

I knew when I picked up the first crate.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

I knew when I picked up the first crate.

I knew when I picked up the first crate to crawl through a vent.

So there.

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    AzadIsCool wrote:

I promise you

promise you

Well the assumption seems to be that Square didn't tell Gamestop about the coupon. I doubt they would have reacted so late if they had. There is nothing on the package whatsoever to indicate it's even a feature. It's bad business on both sides, Gamestop just reacted so fucking bad to it.

why the fuck would it be bad business to not tell them about the coupon

that doesn't make any goddamned sense

unless they signed some contract with the store that says "You will disclose any products or pack-ins that promote a competitor", then they're free to do whatever the fuck they want

8406wWN.png
    edited August 2011
    AzadIsCool wrote:

I promise you

promise you

why the fuck would it be bad business to not tell them about the coupon

that doesn't make any goddamned sense

unless they signed some contract with the store that says "You will disclose any products or pack-ins that promote a competitor", then they're free to do whatever the fuck they want

They could actually have a contract like that, so...

it's not super uncommon or anything.

or, rather, not specifically a contract that says they have to disclose that, but a contract which avoids conflict of interest situations like this.

Cilla Black on
    if they had a contract like that, we'd have heard about it by now

8406wWN.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:

I keep wanting to find fault with how silly and non-functional all the air vents in future Detroit are, but then I forget because I'm having too much fuuuuun

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited August 2011
    Why would you have heard about it by now? Companies are not in the habit of telling reporters about what contracts they do or do not have out there. The fact that Square is accepting these games back from Gamestop at all is indicative of some sort of deal between the two that we haven't explicitly heard about. Publishers will, as a general rule, not pay for the return of functional products because the retailer doesn't want to sell it. That's also a contract you don't hear about.

Cilla Black on
    I think that trenchcoat they're selling is kinda neat! But I don't wear trenchcoats, because I'm not a futuristic cyber-man or a 1950's detective.

Moriveth wrote:
    I think that trenchcoat they're selling is kinda neat! But I don't wear trenchcoats, because I'm not a futuristic cyber-man or a 1950's detective.

or a greasy nerd from the aughts

BahamutZERO.gif
    Moriveth wrote:

Well yes

but I'm talking about time periods where wearing a trenchcoat wouldn't look awful

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Wait, Gamestop is taking returns on a PC game?

How does that work considering it's a Steamworks game?

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

Well yes

but I'm talking about time periods where wearing a trenchcoat wouldn't look awful

what if you're a greasy nerd that worked as a detective in the 1950s but fell into a time portal that transported you to the future where you get caught in a tragic accident and have to become a cyber-man in order to live?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Macro9 wrote:

Either they're taking the hit for it or Square is.

• AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:

This is a good question. My guess is Gamestop knows nothing about PC games.

But seriously I just walked into a Gamestop this morning and I didn't see a single PC game there. I didn't know they sold PC games.

leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:

Either they're taking the hit for it or Square is.

If it's Square, that ups the odds on a successful suit against Gamestop.

Christ, that is a free fucking game. Unless SE takes them back and has Valve remove it from your account.

Arghh, I should have bought it on the PC instead of renting it on the x360 like a fucking chump.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    On another note I really wish more than one battery could recharge. I horde consumable items like the energy granola bars like crazy (11 hours in I've only used ONE), so chances are I will never find myself with more than one battery full, which means I can't do awesome stuff like cloak and then sneak up on someone and beat the shit out of them from fucking nowhere.

Someone make a mod that allows this, please.

leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    The giant bomb guys seem to think all the regular gameplay mechanics are fairly clunky but they're way more critical (being critics, such a shock) of games than I am. Like they've talked about how dated Deus Ex 1's gameplay is, and while I can intellectually see that, it's still a super fun game for me. Definitely looking forward to seeing how the game plays for myself.

Nothing about DXHR is clunky. Sometimes those guys are weird.

corio2.jpg
    I think the shooting itself is kind of clunky, honestly. It's just not as tight as a traditional FPS is.

You know it makes sense that they would take returns on it, because they essentially stole a game from you.

Everyone should return their PC copies.

Then use the money to buy it for me.

Go to another store and get a boxed copy and keep the OnLive version and the Steam version.

It's like a net gain or some shit.

Don't look at me funny, because I'm not an economist.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote:
    Anyone else have way to easy a time with the Gangsters and antenna?

Wish I could turn up the difficulty.

if you're not already playing on Deus Ex mode, you can change it during the game from the gameplay options.

DX mode is even kinda easy sometimes. I killed the frist boss first try.

corio2.jpg
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Yes someone please commit fraud for me too

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited August 2011

Are you a cop?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I am legally required to tell you if I am

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png

For you? But of course.
    Please wire $15 USD to my account at the National Bank of Nigeria to handle processing fees and then you should receive your onlive copy of the game within 6 weeks.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Just what a fucking cop would say

I am legally required to tell you if I am

you son of a bitch

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    Jesus, the heavy rifle.

TAI YONG MEDICAL IS BABIES

doomrider_sigPA.png
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    The giant bomb guys seem to think all the regular gameplay mechanics are fairly clunky but they're way more critical (being critics, such a shock) of games than I am. Like they've talked about how dated Deus Ex 1's gameplay is, and while I can intellectually see that, it's still a super fun game for me. Definitely looking forward to seeing how the game plays for myself.

Nothing about DXHR is clunky. Sometimes those guys are weird.
    How is the AI not clunky?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have made it most of the way through this combat area crawling with guards that could easily kick my ass without being seen at all.

I am stealth god.

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    This fucking game

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    is fantastic

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    alright thats it i need to take that no fall damage aug

dude dies from like a ten foot drop

*20 second quickload*

Squall on
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Huh, my game just crashed. Right as, I assume, it was about to go to a cutscene. The screen went black, music played and nothing else happened. Couldn't even pause the game.

This discussion has been closed.