As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dolby Axon (ventrilo killer?)

wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
So, I just ran across a new voice communication program called Axon.

davcc.png

It's purported to be surround sound capable but I can't yet confirm how it works. The website claims that the surround sound feature can interact with in game geometry. I can attest to the sound quality as I've played around with it some and I can say that I like it.

axonwholeroom.png

It's set up like a regular IM client with a friends list. This is the part I like the most. No password management, just the people you invite into your chat rooms. You can create chat rooms that hold up to 5 people for free. The max limit is 50 and for the first 30 days you can use the max limit. after that you have to pay $20.00 a year for that privilege.

axonfriendslist.png

I'd like to test it out with some forum members to see what it can do.

Features:

3D surround sound
6 separate push to talk key binds
Persistent Channels

long overdue edit: It's now completely free.

wavecutter on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Known Users:

Wavecutter
    darkenedwing
    Klyka
    DualEdge
    Tychocelchuuu

Current Issues:

Text message notification sound is horrid.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hrm...I don't see why something like this even has a purpose.

What use would surround sound in a chat client be?

Plus the only real problem that I personally have with vent is there is no automatied audio normalizing so some people sound like they're going to scream your ear off and others you have to set up special settings to even hear more than a whisper.

That shit should take care of itself at this point.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Judging by the screenshots I think surround can make it easier to distinguish multiple talkers, especially when there's some overlapping during conversation.

Jimmy's voice comes from you left, while Mike speaks on your right. Bob is right in front of you.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Show of hands, who all here would 'sneak up behind' someone and go "BOO!" using this?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Judging by the screenshots I think surround can make it easier to distinguish multiple talkers, especially when there's some overlapping during conversation.

Jimmy's voice comes from you left, while Mike speaks on your right. Bob is right in front of you.

Well those screens weren't up when I made my post. :P

Besides it would rely entirely on the people using it to have a good surround system/headphones for it to have any function above and beyond what already exists in voice chat programs.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2010
    What I don't yet understand is the 50 person chat rooms. I wonder if, after the 30 day trial when people are limited to
    5 people, will they be able to join larger rooms set up by other users?

wavecutter on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd love to test it out too, my account is Infinitepie314 if anyone wants to add me

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I set up a persistent Penny-Arcade voice chat room. It's set up so that anyone who is invited to the chat room can invite anyone to the chat room.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This seems to be a bit more advanced then what we have on our bird, but having sound come from left/right/both is -super- useful. Something pinging you in the left ear? It must be -that guy- right? -That annoying ATC- both? -Must be the crew-

Lunysgwen on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This might be useful for small coop games that have terrible or no in game chat. Count me in. The handle is DualEdge.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Me = tychocelchuuu.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Oh, neat. While I do have access to vent via both the G&T server and my WoW guild's server, I don't really want to hog slots there with non-related people. So I'll give this a spin for other random games I play with 3-4 buddies.

Echo on