As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World Cup] "The Green Error" to live in infamy, vuvuzelas are omgterrible

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best thing I remember about US Soccer from 06 is that fucking amazing goal by the guy from CZE.

At least I think it was against the US.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    KagliciousKaglicious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    The best thing I remember about US Soccer from 06 is that fucking amazing goal by the guy from CZE.

At least I think it was against the US.

Tomas Rosicky

Great player but has had horrible luck with injuries.

Kaglicious on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not that one, though it is awesome. The one where the guy chested it and volleyed it off over the keeper into the opposite corner.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rosicky... injuries... :(

oldmanken on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's Cup Eve, so threw together a compilation on my blog for anyone interested: one highlight-reel Youtube video for each country. No sense bogging you down in 32 YouTube embeds here and you'd hate me if I tried.

North Korea, didn't expect much and just grabbed what I could. You know who caused a whole lot of problems to find an actual highlight reel for, though? Cote d'Ivoire. Algeria didn't give me any guff, gave me a nice one straightaway. Algeria. But the Ivorians fought me for a good long while before a usable video popped up. As in, one that didn't have some dude in front of the clip rapping or something.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Æthelred wrote: »
    So we've got Yahoo and ESPN for predictions, but no fantasy game yet? (ie, where you pick the players) I would like to suggest the official McDonald's / FIFA game. It's well done.

Picking players for national teams from other national teams seems like an exercise in... something I'm not sure what.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    So, this starts tomorrow. So very excited. I can't wait till we come a cropper in the quarter finals!

Bogart on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't have to be in the office tomorrow - I wonder if I have the stones to rock up to a bar at 7AM to watch the kickoff!

The great thing is that there are probably at least a dozen around here that'll open up especially for it.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Canada sucks at soccer so I generally cheer for France. Doesnt look like they'll go far this year tough so I'll hop on the Spain bandwagon once they're gone. I like agressive play so cheering for overly defensive teams like Italy is a no-no. Seems like no matter the sport, I get bored with teams that play a defensive style.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I took monday off to watch the first dutch game. Wooh!

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The first match kicks-off about an hour after I finish work tomorrow night, so enough time to change and get over to the bar... can't wait.

Cote d'Ivoire all the way!! (my kit arrives tomorrow)

oldmanken on
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    It's Cup Eve, so threw together a compilation on my blog for anyone interested: one highlight-reel Youtube video for each country. No sense bogging you down in 32 YouTube embeds here and you'd hate me if I tried.

North Korea, didn't expect much and just grabbed what I could. You know who caused a whole lot of problems to find an actual highlight reel for, though? Cote d'Ivoire. Algeria didn't give me any guff, gave me a nice one straightaway. Algeria. But the Ivorians fought me for a good long while before a usable video popped up. As in, one that didn't have some dude in front of the clip rapping or something.

i liked that dude nice work

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ...I just realized my entire New Zealand clip is of that one corner kick against Bahrain replayed over and over.

I also realized there isn't a better New Zealand highlight reel. They're ALL that corner kick.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Awesome Gosling! Nice work.

Now I have to know what that beat is in the first 20 seconds of the Portugal clip is! I know if from somewhere but hell if I can place it... Gotan Project? Thievery? Uggghh.... Help a brother out!

firewaterword on
  • Options
    jbraggjbragg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah, across the pond wagers... Good times, US and UK Ambassadors...good times....

"Your reference to a previous sporting encounter between our two countries puzzles me. Since the history of English football is long and extensive, in contradistinction to US soccer, I regret that I cannot immediately recall the encounter to which you refer. No doubt it is remembered fondly on these shores; we have quite forgotten it, however." - Martin Longden British Embassy

jbragg on
    "Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." - Good Omens"
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Never mind, figured it out!

firewaterword on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you enjoy 2nd tier pop concerts, pop-African folk music or surprisingly poor English from FIFA officials, the launch concert is starting

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I already did the Penny Arcade ESPN bracket.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just remember to wear your blue jerseys on Saturday, England.

...you don't wear them anymore? Why not?

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SOUTH AFRICA! (cheer)
    SOUTH AFRICA! (cheer)
    WELCOME TO AFRICA! (cheer)
    AFRICA! (cheer)
    AFRICA! (cheer)
    NELSON MANDELA! (crowd goes nuts)

LYRICS OF EVERY SINGLE SONG: South Africa/South Africa/South Africa/South Africa/South Africa (Refrain: South Africa, South Africa, South Africa)

Gosling on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gosling wrote: »
    SOUTH AFRICA! (cheer)
    SOUTH AFRICA! (cheer)
    WELCOME TO AFRICA! (cheer)
    AFRICA! (cheer)
    AFRICA! (cheer)
    NELSON MANDELA! (crowd goes nuts)

LYRICS OF EVERY SINGLE SONG: South Africa/South Africa/South Africa/South Africa/South Africa (Refrain: South Africa, South Africa, South Africa)

Heh.

Throw a few FREEEEDOOOMMMs in there and that's pretty much what I expected.

Is that K'naan dude going to be on later?

Wavin' Flag was a pleasant surprise, and I'd welcome the chance to hear some more of his stuff 'live'.

Biosys on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    If you enjoy 2nd tier pop concerts, pop-African folk music or surprisingly poor English from FIFA officials, the launch concert is starting

Did K'naan perform? Waving Flags is a pretty damn catchy tune.

EDIT: hi5 Biosys

Kyougu on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    World Cup strategies.
    Wold_Cup_Team_Strategys_for_the_World_Cup-s540x3266-65314.jpg

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alicia Keys has just reworked the lyrics of "Empire State of Mind" very clumsily to fit South Africa.

I think we're done here.

Gosling on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    United States (56 percent chance to advance, 22 percent to win group).

Why is Nate Silver so awesome? He even does statistical analysis on football games I care about. <3

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So far in the concert, there's been some tribal drumming, some bleh South African gospel song, that god damn Black Eyes Pea song, a strange medley thing that I don't understand of Move On Up, and now our Archbishop is going crazy.

Holy fucking shit, he's actually lost it.

Biosys on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Biosys wrote: »
    So far in the concert, there's been some tribal drumming, some bleh South African gospel song, that god damn Black Eyes Pea song, a strange medley thing that I don't understand of Move On Up, and now our Archbishop is going crazy.

Altar wine's 90% proof. Not a lot of people know that.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    David_T wrote: »
    Biosys wrote: »

Altar wine's 90% proof. Not a lot of people know that.

The Church of England may have faults, but with a guy like that in charge, even if things go wrong, they're sure to be hilarious.

Also, hell yes, Wavin' Flag.

Biosys on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I don't think I did my brackets right. See, this is why I don't do this tournament shit. I don't know how this stuff works.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yc8LIjoGDQ

This US/England commercial using words from The Crisis has gotten me surprisingly excited for the match. I'm not trembling in anticipation or anything, but it's given me a good dose of "hell yeah, let's beat 'em again" sort of nationalism.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, is there a place to stream games online?

I kinda don't have TV anymore.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if the CBC had streaming feed, but it might be limited to Canadians... although they usually had hockey available all over the place (India!) so I don't know if CBC does the regional locking.

LaOs on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ESPN3 will be streaming all the games if your ISP has that

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psychoticdreampsychoticdream Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

actually yeah

http://mashable.com/2010/06/07/watch-fifa-world-cup-2010/

there's also channelsurfing.net and atdhe.net

psychoticdream on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ESPN3's streaming quality is highly variant also. Its better than you'd find on most illicit sites but certainly not HD

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It occurs to me, as someone who barely watches soccer, that a lot of soccer players have pretty cool names.

Also, though I won't be rooting for Brazil, I'm really looking forward to watching them play, mostly for Kaka. I haven't seen much, but I've seen enough to know that that guy is quite fun to watch with the ball.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Brazil aren't quite as mercurial under Dunga (their coach). Still impressive, but not as impressive as the Brazil of old.

Spain is who you want to watch... they are like sex on the pitch. SOOOOooo good!

oldmanken on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My picks are in! Fear my brilliance!
    or lack thereof

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Brazil aren't quite as mercurial under Dunga (their coach). Still impressive, but not as impressive as the Brazil of old.

Spain is who you want to watch... they are like sex on the pitch. SOOOOooo good!

They are quite sexy, but my gut is saying the Dutch right now. They're too good to be off almost everyone's radar

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's not that the Dutch aren't good, but they just have poor luck at the big tournaments. Kind of like what Spain went through, but more so. Perhaps they can break it this time around, but I won't hold my breath over it. I do expect RVP to be the top scorer of the tournament though, so I do expect them to go far.

Even so, I just have a latent dislike for the Dutch, as they have a number of primadonna douchebags in their squad. Less so this year, but historically speaking...

oldmanken on
This discussion has been closed.