As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Free game for the PC

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sounds legit then. VVVVVV for me!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PaleCommanderPaleCommander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I downloaded Painkiller, and it won't launch on Win7 x64. Additionally, the folder "CapsuleGames/Painkiller Black Edition - PC" is completely empty. Any ideas on where the game went or how to get it working?

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I downloaded Painkiller, and it won't launch on Win7 x64. Additionally, the folder "CapsuleGames/Painkiller Black Edition - PC" is completely empty. Any ideas on where the game went or how to get it working?

Did you install it through the Capsule thing?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Yes. Downloaded, then waited, then installed (it claimed to decrypt and unzip), then hit the launch button. It immediately gives a pop-up: "I'm sorry, but there appears to be a problem loading the game."

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How is Grand Ages: Rome? Would it be worth using my free game on that?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    * The voucher you entered has expired.
    ffuck i knew that by the time their server wasn't dead they would've ended it.

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    How is Grand Ages: Rome? Would it be worth using my free game on that?

It's supposed to be pretty good.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I downloaded and activated Trine, now how have people been getting their games to run without the software?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuga wrote: »

Bah I got all the way to the confirmation page twice but got the 503 error.

Oh well.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fuga wrote: »

Bah I got all the way to the confirmation page twice but got the 503 error.

Oh well.

Yup, expired. I knew that would happen. Real convenient it expires after an extended downtime of their site.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Isn't Crash Time that game based off the German action show about traffic cops?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yes. Downloaded, then waited, then installed (it claimed to decrypt and unzip), then hit the launch button. It immediately gives a pop-up: "I'm sorry, but there appears to be a problem loading the game."

Same problem

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Same problem

So it's downloading the game into my AppData\Local\Green Man Gaming folder. When I click install, it decrypts the 3.3GB game file into a .zip (which is invalid when I try to open it), then it tries unzipping it (nothing appears in the game_root folder, also in AppData), and then it requires administrator access to run a copy program to copy the game from the game_root folder to wherever it actually goes. I'm guessing something's going wrong during the decryption or unzipping, because there's nothing there when it goes to do the copy.

Edit: if anyone wants to follow along for some digging around, I can provide more detail.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had it crash on me when trying to install Painkiller. On my second attempt now.

Edit: Hmm, crashed again.

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hurgh. I am torn between The Void and NecroVision. They both look awesome for completely different reasons.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sooooo I'm finally able to register with the site without it crashing, and it says the code is expired. Real convenient.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    Cannon GooseCannon Goose I need some GAGS! If only I had my gag book!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A third crash! I think I might just give up on this.

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    remlap13 wrote: »
    Sooooo I'm finally able to register with the site without it crashing, and it says the code is expired. Real convenient.

For real? I guess that solves my dilemma then. Damn.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    remlap13 wrote: »

For real? I guess that solves my dilemma then. Damn.

For real.

"The voucher you entered has expired."

remlap13 on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sadness. Oh well. I will now forget about their site forever.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is the whole "not working" thing restricted to Painkiller? I'm wondering if the reason I can't open the decrypted zip file is because it's corrupt. I've downloaded it more than once, which would mean the server copy is bad. Anyone bought Painkiller and have it working? Anyone else encountering problems installing it? The other alternative is that it's not actually the standard ZIP format.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I installed Trine, and it works fine.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I installed Trine, and it works fine.

So you said; thanks for the data. Is the problem we're having a problem specifically with Painkiller?

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone investigated the 'trade in' thingy these guys do? When I'm finished with VVVVVV can I really 'trade it back' to also get Trine for free?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pretty much.

I ended up getting Elven Legacy, and trading it back in for £15. I'll get a couple of other games later, there was nothing there I really want atm.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Current trade in value: $7.28

I didn't get to use the code in time to get King's Bounty: The Legend :(

This has resulted in my going back and playing the original King's Bounty game, so I guess it's still a win.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So has Painkiller worked for anyone yet? I can't even get it to install.

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Add me to the list of people with the Painkiller problem.

Exact same thing. Downloaded it, it says it's decrypting then refuses to launch and there's no files in the Painkiller folder.

If I can't get it working, I'm just going to fuck this service off as it took me all day on my shitty broadband to actually download the game and I'm not doing it again.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This sounds silly but could they be "hidden" files? Obviously it downloaded something, I would surely hope it would not just download it then delete it.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, now I just feel like I've wasted 3.4GB of my monthly download limit... Thanks a lot, Green Man Gaming!

Cannon Goose on
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This offer still working?

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nope. It was only going for a few hours.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    More like a day.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So, when you click "Download", it puts the raw download in your user profile, under AppData\Local\Green Man Gaming. Under the folder for (in this case) Painkiller, there's a file called big_file. When you click install, it decrypts this into big_file.zip. It then claims to unzip it, then it asks for administrator access to do a copy from the AppData folder to the install location. For Painkiller, when I try to open big_file.zip myself, it claims it's an invalid ZIP file, and there is nothing extracted during installation of the game. Thus, there's nothing to copy when it goes to the administrator part. After it's done, success or fail, it deletes all the stuff it downloaded in AppData

My hypothesis is that their Painkiller download is bad. I've opened a ticket with them, we'll see if they respond. If you want to experiment without having to eat more bandwidth, you can make a copy of the game's folder in AppData. If you want to put it back after a bad install, you have to change the game's status in the .ini file in AppData. Delete all of the locations for that specific game, and then change its status from "installed" to "download_ready". put big_file back where it goes, and you're ready to try again.

I'm out of options until support gets back to me, but I'm open to ideas.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If it's any consolation, my copy of The Void won't run either. I think there's someone on here who did get it to work, though.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If it's any consolation, my copy of The Void won't run either. I think there's someone on here who did get it to work, though.

I need no consolation; I have Science!

In all seriousness, that's interesting data on the Void. You also have the problem that nothing is in the game's install directory?

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had issues getting Elven Legacy to work yesterday, with Capsule reporting the game 'installed' yet having no files in the game's directory. However, I uninstalled and re-downloaded the game this morning and it works fine, with the directory now filled. If you haven't simply tried re-downloading the game today, give that a shot. It could be that their servers couldn't handle all of the download requests yesterday.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    I had issues getting Elven Legacy to work yesterday, with Capsule reporting the game 'installed' yet having no files in the game's directory. However, I uninstalled and re-downloaded the game this morning and it works fine, with the directory now filled. If you haven't simply tried re-downloading the game today, give that a shot. It could be that their servers couldn't handle all of the download requests yesterday.

Still broken for me. Anyone else have Painkiller working now?

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I got Red Tide working fine on the first try, so I'm pretty pumped about that.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So I got a response to my ticket. Apparently it's a known issue and they're working on it. They cited as cause for the delay in responding and fixing that the "recent promotion has been more successful than expected."

So we'll see how this goes. I will post further updates as they happen. The representative was even nice enough to double-reply to my accidental double-submit.

PaleCommander on
    steam_sig.png