Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

How do I run a good blog contest?

TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got a blog that covers dorky concepts like gaming of the tabletop variety as well as comics. I've always thought that contests would be a great way to get people in the door and grow my audience, but I've had a hard time getting a good response from giving away free shit in the past. This is always confusing, so I've come to H/A to seek both Help and Advice on how I can run the contest better.

I'm looking for a couple of things:

1. What are some fun, unique contest rules/games that I could use for the site?

2. Any advice on how best to approach publishers and game producers (or online retailers for that matter) to donate some product to give away?

3. Other than Twitter, which seems to just be preaching to the choir, any suggestions on how to advertise the we are having a contest and people should come to the blog?

The link to the blog is in my signature if you're looking for the kind of content we usually have. We get, on average, 100 to 200 unique hits a day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TheHopelessGamer on

• LailLail Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

2. Any advice on how best to approach publishers and game producers (or online retailers for that matter) to donate some product to give away?

Go to various websites and search around for a PR contact e-mail address. A polite e-mail saying something like "Hello, I am the owner/operator of SuchandSuch.com. [Little description of the site]. I plan on running a contest in July and was wondering if there was anyway that Company Name would interested in donating a prize. [Description of contest if you're doing something neat]. Thank you very much for your time...la la la."

If you type up a template and just change the company you're contacting, you can send off quite a few of these very quickly. The most time consuming part is finding the right e-mail address.

I use to do this for my website a few years ago and had a pretty good success rate. I'd always e-mail the contact back with links showing them how their stuff was being promoted and to thank them once again for being awesome.