As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Haunting of Kincep Mansion - What Dwells in Yonder Stable?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Since I was bored, current application list (which is entirely awesome):

Defender
    Ronen, Deva Wandering Swordmage
    Hakim Tariq Al-Zarqum, Dragonborn Iron Vanguard Fighter
    Velma Dinkley, Dwarven Swordmage (no sheet)
    Stone Stoneson, Dwarven Dreadnought Fighter

Leader
    Kesh Atchum, Deva Ancestral Incarnate Shaman
    Björn "To Cook" Cheffsön, Warforged Runepriest
    Triumph, Longtooth Shifter Silver-Tongued Scoundrel Bard
    Fred "Freddy" Jones, Half-Elf War Chanter Bard

Controller
    Daig (the Bounty Hunter), Githzerai Death Arrow Seeker
    Scourge, Revenant Invoker
    Morpheus, Kalashtar Dreamwalker Psion
    Shaggy, Wilden Primal Mapper Seeker

Striker
    Krikkit, Kobold Initiate of the Dragon Monk
    Veronica Targen, Human Lightning Fury Sorceress
    The Gnome, Gnome Ancestral Weapon Barbarian
    Terrius, Minotaur Bloodied Champion Barbarian
    Blackfeather, Kenku Sharpshooter Ranger
    Daphne Blake, Half-Elf Wild Sorceress (no sheet)
    Skew Be'Du, Gnoll Mountain Devotee Monk
    "Endless" Zendar, Halfling Wild Mage Sorceror
    Tetter, Bullywug Frenzied Berserker Barbarian

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Good work Aegis. +1 to all defenses until end of next post.

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Foghorn Leghorn

I say... I say Boy's as sharp as a bowling ball.

Background

Foghorn was always the biggest kenku he ever knew. Both height and weight.His charm and intelligence is another characteristic that is quite rare for a Kenku.He saw the note put up but he could not read it

"I say.. I say boy whatsa this here note say?" after a farmers son read him the note and he tipped him for his time he headed to the Boar's quill for some free drinks.

" Free drinks ... I say free drinks sound mighty fine to this here Foghorn."

Picture
    Kenku_Rogue_by_D_MAC.jpg

Personality Traits:
    Always a witty jab at his arsenal Foghorn is never behind when it comes to a verbal quibble.When a fight breaks out he can always bluff his way out of one. "Words friend.. i say words are as great as the bolts in this here crossbow."

Nostalgia struck me today in a dreamy imbued half an hour i created this blast from the past.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hah, Pepi. That's the image our Kenku Daggermaster Rogue uses in our Maptools game, which we'll be playing another session of in about one hour, forty minutes.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goddamn you people for making me make these choices.

Especially all of you that submitted leaders.

I'll have made submissions open for another 24 hours and have the opening post up while I'm waiting for the conferences to start.

Kelor on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to pass on submitting for this, although I'd really like to see what paragon play is like. Have fun!

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Hah, Pepi. That's the image our Kenku Daggermaster Rogue uses in our Maptools game, which we'll be playing another session of in about one hour, forty minutes.

Yeah there are like 5 kenku pictures online. And some of them look like owls which i dont imagine them like.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Here's my second submission. I've also expanded on the background of Krikkit, Kobold Monk and Initiate of the Dragon, hooray! Eager to see the party, lots of really rad submissions in here.

Vlastok, Shadar-Kai Swordmage and Sigil Carver
    portshadar-kai.png

Vlastok was orphaned and horribly scarred when a specter slaughtered his family. He learned the Shadar-kai lesson early, and hard: life is fleeting, so make the most of it. Vlastok decided that he would make of his life a crusade against the unquiet dead, those that resisted the call of the Raven Queen, those like the one who slew his kin. Toward this end, he pursued training from denizens of the other world-echo: the eladrin. From them he learned the ancient art of sword magic, and the masters of the Feywild would swear that they had never seen so driven a student. He was even allowed to learn their ancient art of sigil carving, a technique that he fervently hoped would allow him to protect future allies better than he had protected his family. Today, the swordmage hires himself out as an adventurer, searching for assignments that allow him to vanquish the undead--the Mayor's advertisements about Kincep Manor drew him like a siren's song.

This swordmage seeks vengeance against the shade that slew his family, and undead everywhere.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rion-Lo, Relentless Razorclaw Shifter Slayer.

"Hold, foul fiend!" Rion-Lo yelled, tossing his head, causing his vivid red hair to catch the setting sun, making it even more red, if that was even possible. "By my power, and the power of the Eye of Slandera, I shall defeat you!"

"Oh lawdy, not 'im again," the mummy grunted. "Jus' mindin' me own business again, an' along 'e comes." Shuffle. "Better be movin', loike." Shuffle. "...bloody buggered dead legs."

"You're not listening!" the distinctly feline yelled, vaulting from the tree branch he stood upon (because that's dramatic, right?) to execute a perfect double somersault, landing just in front of the shuffling undead creature. "Thrumm-Ra, the Never-Giving, you will face my righteous blade!"

"Uh..."

"Fight me, foul cretinous creature, vile monster from beyond the stars!"

"I'm just from round th' corner, pay me rent on time an' everything!"

"PUT UP YOUR DUKES, LET'S SEE WHAT YOU'VE GOT!"

"...Blimey."

One-two, one-two and through and through. His Blood-Fury Falchion went snicker-snack, he left it dead(er), and with its head (or, well, what was left of its bandages), he went galumphing back.
    ~~ooOoo~~

"Once more, I have vanquished the evil plaguing these lands, and brought peace to the citizens of Third Earth!" Rion-Lo crowed triumphantly, after dumping a swathe of grubby bandages in the center of the town square.

"Did 'ee just 'vanquish' Ol' Bandage Bill?" one townsman asked.

"Aye, 'ee did," replied another.

"Ol' Bill never did nothin' bad," countered a fish-wife.

"This is the fifteenth time 'ee's done this, or summat. Not right in the 'ead, he is. Moon-touched."

But Rion-Lo wasn't listening, he was looking at the notice board in the town's center.

"Jastonbury, eh?" the shifter all but yelled. "Deeds must foul? This must be the work of THRUMM-RA, THE NEVER... GIVIIIING! Sword of Gnome-Runs, give me sight beyond sight!" He lifted his sword to his face, and squinted through the curved guards. Everyone stared at him as if he were mad. "I see!" Rion-Lo exclaimed. "The work of an evil undead creature most foul indeed! To Jastonbury!"

The townspeople watched the odd individual leave the town square, and breathed a sigh of relief. With any luck, they wouldn't need to deal with that madman ever, ever again.

Mannerisms and Appearance:
    Rion-Lo is quite, quite mad. He's a follower of Balinor, Lord of the Hunt, and was granted divine powers to aid him in pursuing the hunt's enemies to the ends of the earth. An encounter with a nest of undead broke his mind, and suddenly the young shifter was convinced that he was the champion of Slandera, the last surviving scion of an ancient, noble race, who travelled to this world in giant metal ships from beyond the stars to rid the world of the plague that, uh, plagues it. He has a special hatred for mutant animal people, and bandage-wreathed undead. They are the cause of all our sorrows, and he must end their reign of terror!

rionlo.jpg

I almost used this image instead.

Why is he here?

Well, there is evil to be smote, foul deeds to be investigated! Why would he be anywhere else?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is absurd, but

2reh8p3.jpg

Mechazangief, Warforged Juggernaut Fighter.

He comes from the frozen northlands. There he is a famous athlete. He takes on all comers in any physical challenge. None are stronger, faster, or quicker. Nothing can scratch him. He is the greatest grappler the North has ever known. No one can escape his grasp.

He has run out of challenges in his homeland. Even the bears provide no challenge. He has come South seeking a challenge suitable for a man of his stature. He hopes that this mansion can provide that challenge.

My favorite part of making the character was finding this:

Mechanically he is a brawling fighter with lots of grab attacks and charges that will be flavored as drop kicks and such. Oh and of course spinning lariats.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Haha the combination of a party just get funnier and funnier.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This will be hilarious to follow no matter who gets selected, there are some awesome ideas floating around in here.

firemanfred on
    tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As the sun breaks over the city of Jastonbury the sound of boots thumping on the wooden floor come to a halt outside of your room, followed by the hammering of a mailed fist on the door.

“Seneschal Levy requires your presence in the common room in twenty minutes.” A gruff voice demands through the oak.

Down in the common room your fellow adventurers gather around the food set at the tables, a mix of all kinds of races but of a fellow trade. Murmurs abound, mainly centred on the lack of word from Lord Nelson the previous day and the carriages that have been flying back and forth through the gates of his mansion.

The conversation dims as the rattle of a carriage stops at the door of the inn and the soldiers at the door snap to attention. An good natured looking man steps through the door and makes his way into the common room, hand holding a piece of parchment. He looks around the room, before seeming to recall why he is there and clears his throat before addressing its inhabitants.
    SeneschalHead-Head.jpg

“Ah, yes, well I suppose we had best get to it.” He says amicably. “No doubt you’re curious as to the delay, unavoidable, unavoidable I’m afraid. His Grace appreciates your arrival and has selected those of you to undertake a task for him. Those of you who were not chosen, he sends his regrets and appreciates your offer of aid.”

Unraveling the scroll at his side he scans it briefly. “Now! To business! The following have been selected to form a party for this task; Ronen, Foghorn Leghorn, Daig, Krikkit, Tetter.”

He pauses as you stand, staring at Tetter for a moment (most likely because Tetter is the largest bullywug he has ever seen in his life) before continuing.

“Those of you chosen, if you could please gather your belongings, come with me to the carriages and we will make our way to Lord Nelson’s property immediately. Time is of the essence!”

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The horse drawn carriages rapidly convey you to the sprawling expanse of Duke Nelson’s estates at the edge of Jastonbury which is dominated by a huge mansion of mortared stone with windows pock marking the walls. The carriages bring you all the way to the door where two more soldiers in Nelson livery salute and open the carriage door.

“Now, come! We mustn’t keep Lord Nelson waiting.”

Massive ironbound doors swing open as the seneschal leads you into an inner hallway with an arched roof. Suits of armour, tapestries, exotic weapons and portraits of what you assume to be friends of the Duke decorate the walls, mute testimony of his long years as a campaigner of the king. As he leads you up a set of stairs Levy stops at the end of a hallway and nods to another pair of guards who open the door.

Your group enters what you assume is the Duke’s study. Thick rugs cover the floor and a large desk stands in front of the window, its high backed chair facing out into the fields beyond. Seneschal Levy crosses the room to the side of the desk and addresses the chair’s occupant. “The adventurers you requested have arrived sir. I’ve compensated those not chosen for you and the inn’s owner.”

“Excellent Eugene,” a gravelly voice comes from the chair. It swings round to reveal The Duke, an ageing but powerfully built man in a black tunic with a wide brimmed hat who stands to greet you.
    Duke-DukeHead.jpg

Seeing some of you begin to kneel he holds a hand up indicating not to worry. “I don’t stand much for formality travellers, so let me get straight to the point. Now I consider myself a good judge of character, which is why I chose you. The old Kincep grounds on the other side of the city has been falling apart for years now so I sent some men to find out what happened to the last Kincep we saw. The whole lot of 'em disappeared and everyone else I've sent ended up beat up or worse and wasn't able to put a dent in the place. And after that first group of people went missing we've been having entire patrols go disappear out there, bodies torn to pieces and wagons found with no trace of their owners or what was in them. I've been around long enough to know it'd be stupid to discount ghosts or god knows what else, but I'm damn sure it ain't the regular wolves we've been telling the townspeople about. I was going to have you root out whatever is out at the Kincep place but something has made things become more important than I’d first expected.

"As you probably know or have heard, I served the old king during the war against his younger brother Michael about forty years ago and then as his advisor up until I retired from soldiering." He waves a hand over to a large portrait of the king mounted on the wall of the room. "Sent that to me as a gift when I got here."
    King-KingHead.jpg

“Now, the boy the King adopted as insurance against his brother’s claim, Will, was my charge before I retired. Seemed to think I’d rub off the rough edges.”

He snorts at this then leans back on his desk as he continues. "Now, young Will has always been in troublemaker, he’s popular and always being found in taverns or noblewomen’s beds but that’s just him growing up. His father has put up with it till now, but he fell into a brawl with a local gang and the Queen decided to sent him out here to Belair to get me to shine him up a bit I guess.”

Your attention is drawn to the portrait along side the kings on the wall, what can only be Prince Will.
    Prince-PrinceHead.jpg

“Problem is, he never arrived. He was supposed to show yesterday morning but never made the city gates. I've had men out searching for him ever since, normally I'd say bandits or even Michael trying to kidnap him but they found the carriage off to the side of the road, with everything missing including the Prince. So, provided we don’t find him your job just got a whole lot more interesting and a whole lot more profitable for you if you manage to find him.”

Pulling himself up from the desk he looks at the group. “Now, if you’ve got questions now’d be the time to ask.”

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alrighty, so we are in business.

Now, it was really hard picking out people, there were so many great entries I could have made three groups of the entries (and I might organise something like that down the track) so I'm sorry to those who didn't get accepted.

A man shouldn't have to choose between Lion-o or a Dick Tracy style fem-fatale, a Swedish Iron Chef or Ash Katchem for the same positions. I ended up having to pick by complementary skills rather than concepts becasue there was just too many good ones.

As I listed earlier, our party is:

Ronen, Deva Swordmage (A man's man of magic)
    Foghorn Leghorn, Kenku Bard (That picture even looks like Foghorn Leghorn)
    Daig, Githzerai Seeker (Do that Selleck moustache proud!)
    Krikkit, Kobold Monk (I have high hopes for a man named for a race that inflicted a grillion casualties upon the universe)
    Tetter, Bullywug Barbarian (Never cross a battletoad with an axe to grind)

We'll use this one thread for both OOC and in character talk. Just keep your OOC text in grey. Anyone is free to chip in even if you're not playing, just keep your text in grey.

For combat, actions are in Orange and Attack/Damage rolls in red.

Move to J7.
    Using Howling Strike on badguy.

Attack roll: 1d20+15 vs AC = 24.
    Damage roll: 2d10+9 = 13.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Krikkit bowed low, deepening the already large height gap between him and his fellow adventurers. The next tallest member of the party stood two feet taller, and most were closer to three feet taller than the tiny kobold. His simple robe brushed the floor, and the wooden stick he carried at his side was as thin as he was. A silly-looking grin (Krikkit was actually attempting to look wise and inscrutable) graced his face. The little reptile gave the impression of being a really sweet guy.

"Mighty Duke," he squeaked. "I presume to speak for myself and my companions, humble pilgrims all, in saying that it is an honor to be chosen." The kobold cleared his throat, an even higher-pitched noise than his speaking voice. "Do you think the trouble at Kincep Manor and the Prince's disappearance are related?"

And it is indeed an honor to be chosen! There were scads of nifty submissions. And the game already looks ridiculous; I'm excited to play it!

For reference, Krikkit's voice sounds approximately like the badly burnt Albanian boy's from Albi, the Racist Dragon.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Upon entering the room, Daig eyed the Duke. While some have mistaken that look for "distrusting" when in fact it was just the permanent wild-eyed scowl on the Seeker's face. He picked up various knick-knacks in the study, sniffing them carefully.

When the Duke mentioned the missing Prince, Daig immediately put down the model ballista he was licking (presumably for clues). "Got yourself a missing Prince, huh? This could get interesting..." he said in a low gravelly voice. Daig pulled a large cigar from a hidden pocket and swept it violently across the his pant-leg, as if it could be lit like a match. Undeterred by the fact that the cigar was unlit and more than a little frayed on the end, he stuck it in his mouth and began puffing. "God only knows what's got the Prince right now. No, scratch that, you know who else would know? Me. I was abducted by vampires in the war...bastards gauged out my eyes and left me for dead."

He let the words settle in as he glared back at anyone meeting to his gaze.

OOC: For the most part, Daig speaks with his teeth clenched. Think Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry specifically) for the effect.

Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ronen stared at the portraits hanging on the walls. The prince looked oddly familiar. Wasn't he that man who was looking in some sort of Warforged uprising? Or was he thinking of a love shaman the swordsman once met in his travels, whose goal in life was to rebuild the strain between people's relationships?

Maybe, once in another life, the Deva mused to himself. Ronen turned his gaze towards the group itself. Strangely, more than half of these creatures were considered 'evil' by society. Money makes strange bedfellows, he thought to himself. Not that it was money that drove the eager Deva. And who knows, maybe more than half of them knew how to fight, and would probably proved to be a hardy rival for the Swordmage. He doesn't expect any less from them. He would have to wait and see. He bowed low as well, but not too low (after all, a giant sword could bring a strain to one's back if bent too low). Listening in on the TINY kobold, and hearing out the AMUSING bounty hunter, Ronen moved towards the Duke, with questions of his own.

"So Duke, you're assuming the kidnapping of Will and the haunted mansion to be simple coincidence? And what of this Michael? Is he the local troublemaker and hoodlum around these parts? We need to know as much as we can before we start knocking some heads off."

Once he had his say in the group, he matched Daig's stare with as much fervor as the bounty hunter's. Whether he won or not mattered little to the Swordmage. When he sees and knows a challenge being thrown at him, he never backs down.

Ever.

OOC: Gratz on those who came in. This should be one crazy ride.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Every step that the huge bullywug took sounded like a boulder smacking down into the ground off a cliff. Luckily, he only took one step for every two or three that the other chosen took. When The Duke introduced himself and began his explanation, Tetter twisted himself around to look at the portraits hanging around the room. His non-existent neck didn't allow for a very wide range of movement, so he ended up learning to tilt and rotate his torso whenever he needed to look around without moving much. His eyes centered on each piece as The Duke spoke, and then returned to the speaker.

When he finished, and the others started asking questions, the bullywug twisted around (and down in the case of Krikkit) to watch each as they spoke their questions and concerns. Thus far, they had covered the few things that had crossed Tetter's mind, so he kept silent, just nodding and watching the happenings between the smaller creatures in the room. It wasn't time for smashing things yet, and the others seemed to have the thinking thing taken care of, so Tetter just soaked in everything and waited.

Woo, congrats everyone! We have quite a unique group of adventurers here.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Foghorn was chewing while most of the conversation was taking place. And there was a pitcher from the Inn he had borrowed to finish up his free drink.
    "I say ... I say sir if i may what kind of payment are we talking about. A little light on the matter might make me just more interested in the situation." - Foghorn was still chewing and spewing the last part from the meal while talking.

" And that Inn i say that Inn was a perfect choice to meet at and the free food is delicious. Because its free.
    That's a joke sir, a joke." He elbowed the Deva next to him and grinned proud of himself.

OOC: Oh and congrats to all who were chosen its going to be awesomely awesome. This is my first Pbp so if i screw up with something do correct me.Foghorn speaks always very loudly ( as you might imagine) and he always is very happy with himself. .

Edit : added a weapon expertise for crossbows.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ronen nods at the Kenku's question, but not to the jest. He was still focusing his gaze at the bounty hunter, intent on seeing who's strength of determination was the stronger. He moved his face, keeping one eye on the bounty hunter, and asks the Duke:

"I'm also inclined to agree with this here feathered fellow. How will you compensate for our deed, or deeds should things not go as planned? Some of us here (hopefully) aren't swayed by such simple and trivial things as money or jewels. You know, what many people would use as currency? I for one would expect payment in the sum of one major artifact for my services, arcane in origin to be more specific, should this town have one in it's keep.

Knowledge is, after all, power; as some of my...past associates would say."

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "The deva speaks wisdom," Krikkit piped up. "Money is perhaps the least currency we should concern ourselves with." The little monk beamed. He'd have to remember to write that one down for later.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Good, then its settled. I'll take the kobold's and swordmage's share of the coin." the Bounty Hunter continued to stare down the Deva, despite the fact that it had been long enough that both of them had begun to look silly. Daig took the cigar out of his mouth and put it out against the inside of his forearm; an act that would have been far more intimidating had the cigar ever been lit in the first place.

"You're playing a fool's game, Deva." he said, completely ignoring the Duke. "I've stared my own wounds into submission. I had a cut on the back of my hand, and I began staring at it. Three weeks later, it was completely healed, not a trace of it."

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    The Duke clears his throat, bringing the group's chatter to a halt with an amused look. "You'll be rewarded amply, don't worry about that. If you can find out what is going on in at the old mansion I'll set the reward at 500 gold pieces for each of you. I'll authorise my seneschal to give you half now and half after you return with what you've found.

"Now, my guard captain and his men haven't been able to locate Prince William but the conditions of his disappearance mirror the troubles we have been having in the area, which I feel must be tied to the mansion. If you do happen to find him and bring him back safely I'll give you four times that. Even if I wasn't fond of the boy, I could do the King no less. If gold isn't to your taste I'm sure you could find something in my vault downstairs, there was all manner of trinkets I've picked up over the course of my years."

"Captain Tee, my watch commander can explain what information he has if you wish to see him. Or did you have any further questions?"

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Krikkit bowed low again by way of signifying his assent.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "I don't i say i don't know about the others, but i am ready to fly. Fly. Get it?" - Foghorn winked at no general direction and starts heading towards the exit then stops, turning around with a grin. "Oh, and can i get my advance now, I'm hungry again, for gold that is.Where i say where can we find the good Captain?"

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ronen takes another good look at the Githzerai bounty hunter. Whether the bounty hunter was telling the truth or not, the Deva could not help but respect the man's... resourcefulness at crafting a story.

The swordmage lifts up his head high in the air and and closes his eyes, offering a rapturous laughter to the bounty hunter (or perhaps to the entire group, no one was certain). Sure, Ronen lost the 'game', but the fact that he never backed off the challenge in the first place brought him comfort.

"Hahaha! I like your style, kid! It seems to have been many of my lifetimes since I have met someone with such humour and girth, and quick wits such as yourself. Looks as though you might be a fitting rival for me. The last ones I had were quite dissapointing: all bark and no bite, even if you get my drift."

The Deva slaps Diag on the back, and offers a smile to the Gith.

"I tend to keep my wits (and my blade) sharp in battle. Just remember, I expect nothing less, and only the best, from my rivals. But until then, we have a job to do, don't we, Lord Nelson?"

Ronen looks back at the group, then towards the Duke himself, all the while keeping a haughty smile on his face.

"Very well then. I will accept the payment only AFTER I've done my job. I always consider my payment once a job is completed and considered successful. Not that I haven't failed yet, nor do I intend to..."

The swordmage saluted the Duke, while he kept one eye silently on the bounty hunter.

Yes, things seemed to become more interesting by the moment.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The huge bullywug tilted back and forth as each person spoke, trying to keep his attention focused on what all was being said. While Tetter prided himself on being able to do more than "make stuff dead", he never lied to himself about his intelligence, or anything else for that matter. He wasn't quite following all that was being said, the wording was starting to get tricky and everyone seemed to have huge lungs which let them keep on talking for more than a sentence or two. He figured that he got the basic concept of the conversation, though, and nodded his approval.

Tetter's axe almost clanged to the floor when he tilted forwards and back with his nod, and he caught it just in time with an awkward, embarrassed grin.

bladecruiser on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "You'll find Captain Tee out on the grounds most likely. I'll arrange for him to meet you at your carriage to speed you on your way. Now you must excuse me, I must meet with the city council to discuss matters. You have my thanks in advance for aiding us."

The Duke rises from the edge of his desk, Levy moves forward from behind him and you sense that the audience is over.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just rising from his second, long bow, Krikkit was caught off-guard and quickly dipped into another bow as the Duke rose. Unsure of protocol, the kobold peeked up to see if anyone else was bowing. As no one was, he surreptitiously righted himself. Thankfully, no one had seemed to notice, as all of this was taking place far below eye level.

"Let us seek out this Tee!" squeaked the monk.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    KorsahnKorsahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Am greatly looking forward to this! Wish I could've got my submission in time. Good luck all!

Korsahn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "That seems like a good idea little buddy. Lets head over to the grounds.Over. Head. Get it?" Foghorn chuckled loudly then headed for the exit with the kobold.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Prince-PrinceHead.jpg

What the fucking fucking fuck is going on here I don't know and I love it

Special points for the filename

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ronen offered a slight smirk at the Kenku's joke. Sure the pun was a bit...meek, but he enjoyed the feathered avian's jovial personality.

"Aye. Indeed I get it. Off for Tee. Get it." The Deva tries his own attempt at humour. Seeing no one laughing, he merely shrugs to the rest, and follows the kobold and kenku to meet with the good captain.

OOC: Also, Kelor. Shouldn't you change the thread name? I believe recruitment is over now.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As you past through the door you see a group of nobles, presumably the city council members who glare at you furiously as they realise that you are the reason for their delay. Grooms tend to the horses and waiting for you at the door is the Captain Tee, the Duke's commander of the watch. Wearing heavy armor and of average height, you can sense a commanding presence around him.
    CaptainT.jpg

As Levy makes introductions he shakes hands (or claws) with you without hesitation along with a winning smile, clearly at ease with exotic races through long experience. "Well met then. I've been told you're going to be looking into the old Kincep place for Lord Nelson. I'm glad he's getting some professionals to do it, I've lost a dozen men now, half when they first went and the others through these disappearances over the last few months. My men are good, they're trained but they're still not seasoned enough to stand up to whatever is going on here."

"Now, the mansion. When you enter the grounds, there's an road that leads through the orchard up to the mansion itself along with a few old maintenence buildings and a stable. We've had to kick squatters out of the area a few times but no one for the last year or so. The only other lead I can give you is that there was a survivor from one of the attacks, a local hunter who's well known in these parts. You may want to talk to him, your drivers will know which tavern he's to be found."

"I'm tied up with the search for the prince at the moment and , but my Lieutenant will take you back to the city and set you on course." Waving another man over he looks back towards the party. "Ah! Here he is now!" The Lieutenant is an ascetic looking Eladrin clad in treated leather with Nelson livery.
    Lieutenant.jpg

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    After a loud laugh that started from the Devas' joke Foghorn looked at the Lieutenant.
    "Lieutenant I say Lieutenant i think we need to put more ears to the ground and be sharp about what we're doing here.Sharp. Ears. That's a joke Lieutenant. Went right over your head, boy. I was told to talk to you about an advancement on the payment. Money that is. Two half nothings is a whole nothing and I aints doing jobs again for nothing - even if you do work for the Duke.Other than that I am ready to partake on this particular adventure and to depart immediately. That was a play, boy. Word play that is." - Foghorn looked focused as he was ranting at the Lieutenant and made a loud chuckle after he finished.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "We should rescue the prince quickly," Krikkit piped up. "But maybe the hunter has some important information..." The kobold turned his head up toward his companions. "Should we talk to this hunter?"

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "Pfsh, Hunters...anybody can hunt an animal. An animal cant think, or beg for mercy, or demand an explanation for why you've just broken down the door to their house when the fugitive lives next door. Still, though, if that's the best we got, then thats the best we got." Daig spit on the ground near the lieutenant as he finished his thought.

"I worked with a hunter once, back in the war. Real black ops type stuff. We were behind enemy lines when he betrayed me. Turned my back on him for one second and the bastard cut off my right hand and left me for dead."

Smoove Operator on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    The Lieutenant gives a pained smile in response to the Kenku's joke, before Tee jumps in to lessen the awkward moment. "Ah yes, His Grace has organised your advance, I have it with me here." Captain Tee hands out a sack of coins to each of you. "Now, he's an...odd sort, the hunter. But well liked by the townsfolk. Ever since the attack he's been threatening to go hunt down whatever is responsible for this, but I've had to threaten to lock him up or the fool will get himself killed."

The matter of payment taken care of, the watch commander excuses himself and leaves you in the care of his subordinate. He organises travel with the drivers and shortly after you arrive in the bustling center of Jastonbury, outside of a tavern that looks decidely seedier than the inn you stayed the previous night. Even outside of building you can hear those with in carousing about and as you enter you see a dark haired man brooding in a chair before the fireplace. The lieutenant indentifies him as the hunter who survived the attack, before bidding you farewell and returning to the Duke's estate.

As you enter you see this scene playing out before you.

You are now all up 250 gold pieces, if you wish to purchase anything else from vendors in the city feel free. One of the carriages has been left at your disposal to facilitate your travel about the city.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    "A hunter," Krikkit chirps with approval. "One who is one with nature. We kobolds are mighty hunters ourselves."

The monk scurried forward and tugged on the hunter's sleeve. The effect was like a child trying to get the attention of a distracted parent. "Excuse me, mister hunter. We are but humble petitioners, seeking the crumbs of knowledge that you might toss to the ducks of ....asking," he finished, a little lamely. "Er, what might you tell us about," the kobold looked around, then cupped his hands over his mouth, "the mysterious events at Kincep Manor?"

Saurfang on