Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 4E] The Haunting of Kincep Mansion - What Dwells in Yonder Stable?

KelorKelor Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Critical Failures
The Haunting of Kincep Mansion

AdventurersRequest.jpg

Welcome gentlemen, to the Haunting of Kincep Mansion. This will be a one shot short adventure for Paragon(!) level characters. Since most PbP games start off at level one this ought to be a bit different and should finish up before Dark Sun hits.

Being that we’re talking about a haunted mansion, campiness is both encouraged and will be a big factor in which characters I pick. You can go hog wild with your race/class selection provided you can explain it away. (Been saving that bard called Ted Theodore Logan who uses an invisible electric guitar for an implement? Boom!) Cliché racial/class stereotypes are absolutely encouraged, as are off the wall ones. If you want to come up with a character who ties in with someone else’s and come as a pair go for it, though I reserve the right to pick and choose.

The group will be a party of five. Entries will be open till Sunday night.
Spoiler:

Guidelines for character submissions:
Spoiler:

Kincep Mansion is set on the hereditary grounds of the Kinceps family, an old and once respected noble family. The family was wealthy, but with a few exceptions disdain overt shows of wealth and luxurious objects that have caused the disappearance of many other a family fortune. Upon reaching adulthood, family members received a small inheritance and made their own way through life, be it through business, public service or adventuring and the family took great pride in it's continued success. In recent years several misfortunes and disasters have wiped out most of the outlying branches of the family, most folk believe that they fell into poverty and died out.

The sole remaining heir, Jaccobux Kincep has not been seen for nearly four decades after retiring from a career as a adventurer and mercenary in foreign lands with what was rumoured to have restored the family fortunes. Visitors and supplies were delivered to the mansion for almost a decade after that and then even they ceased to visit. The mansion and surrounding grounds had fallen into disrepair with lack of maintenance before he even returned and the house appears to be on the verge of collapsing, creaking boards and gnarled trees now dominate. Daring fellow children to enter the grounds and knock on the door is a common challenge for the youth of Jastonbury, especially on nights where the moon is darkest and clouds scud across the sky.

As the grounds, which sits on a hill on the outskirts of Jastonbury have fallen into disrepair it has become an eyesore and Lord William had attempted to reclaim it after Jaccobux vanished from the public eye. The magistrate, captain and half a dozen guards whom entered the premises were never seen from again. Further attempts to investigate their disappearance have lead to minor and severe injuries of those who entered the grounds, as if the spirits of the family took physical form and attacked them. Shortly after travellers, merchant caravans and patrols of soldiers guarding the town have begun to disappear. Sometimes their corpses are found lying twisted, savaged and broken upon the ground but most often they are not found at all. Lord William and his council have let it be known that wolves are responsible for these attacks but the citizenry of Jastonbury none the less cast a fearful eye on the sprawling mansion atop the hill and make sure to be indoors before the sun falls at night.....

Our party is!

Ronen the Deva Swordmage (Tiamatz)
Daig the Githzerai Seeker (Smoove Operator)
Krikket the Kobold Monk (Saurfang)
The Gnome the Gnome (whaaaa?) Barbarian (MrRose)
Foghorn Leghorn the Kenku Bard (Pepipopa)

Kelor on

• TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn! Double TroubleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This looks interesting...

How many entries is a person allowed?

One max?

Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
    DotaJakSig_zps399cf6a1.png
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sooo, two submissions, as long as they're different builds? I think I may have to come up with a Striker and a Controller, in that case! Never played either role.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's correct.

Or you can just submit one. It's up to you.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whee! Sounds like fun.
    Submissions incoming.

Quick question; if you have a hybrid of two roles, can the second character have the same role as either half of the hybrid? I'm assuming not.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never played 4e at a higher level, this could be awesome for skipping ahead on my learning curve!

I'd be interested in submitting for this, but I don't have a DDi subscription and can't use the builder to do make a character of that level. Will you take a text box?

edited June 2010
    Hybrids, I would prefer your second character to have a different role to the primary one of your hybrid.

General and Scales of War backgrounds are fine.

I'll take text boxes if you don't have DDi since I will just throw it together on the character builder and put it up on Orokos for you.

Also I for those of you who noticed some improper grammar in the posted notice it was done for....ah...authenticity!

[tiny]Goddamnit.[/tiny]

• SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joy of joys! I'll be sure to throw up a submission later tonight when I get off work!

• TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn! Double TroubleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Presenting... Ronen, the Deva Wandering Swordmage

"You're a few lifetimes too early to face me, kid!"

Picture:
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms and appearance:
    Spoiler:

What's he doing here?
    Spoiler:

Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
    edited June 2010
    Couple of questions!

Groups of campy/cliched/borderline comedy troupes always need a straight man, right?

Also, Evil Gods worshipped by Unaligned characters. Kosher for this? I think only certain Divine classes have 'same as their deity' enforced alignment, right?

ew9y0DD.png
  • WoogityWoogity Registered User
    edited June 2010
    im in for this love paragon! builds! :D will be making a barb and invoker.

Also kay it says that characters do not have to have the same alingment

"Your character can worship an evil or a chaotic evil
    deity without being of the same alignment, but that’s
    walking a fine line. The commandments of these
    deities exhort their followers to pursue evil ends or
    commit destructive deeds."

straight from ph1, but such a fine thing only the god DM can really tell where that fine line is.

Spoiler:

the game assassino_O
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daig (the Bounty Hunter), Githzerai Seeker
    Paragon Path - Death Arrow
    "Back in the war, we didn't have swords or bows...I killed a hundred men with a bundle of twigs and an old pair of boots."

Background/Mannerisms/Assorted Whatnot:
    Spoiler:
    Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Answered the call because:
    Spoiler:

Picture:
    Spoiler:

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

Mannerisms and Appearance:
    Spoiler:

Why's he here:
    Spoiler:

Statblock:
    Spoiler:

edited June 2010
    may i make a beastmaster ranger named shaggy with a canine beast named scoob?

Spoiler:

the game assassino_O
    edited June 2010
    Actually, a few of us have been discussing this idea on IRC for some time, now. Then we come here, and Woogs has already posted. :(

But we had the FULL TEAM planned!

Fred - Human Valorous Bard
    Daphne - Half-Elf Wild Sorcerer (Cha 20, Int 8)
    Velma - Dwarf Swordmage
    Shaggy - Longtooth Shifter Beastmaster Ranger (that chinfluff of his is soooo shifterish)

And to round it all out...

THE MYSTERY MACHINE - Warforged Guardian Druid. (Primal Beast Form - 1966 Chevrolet Sportvan 108)

It would be epic.

Edit: Oh shit Hank is Dungeons and Dragons, Fred is Mystery Inc. I fail.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sounds like Woogity just earned a spot on Mystery Inc, Kay.

edited June 2010
    haha dont let me stop you! thats badass i like the mystery machine approach!

Spoiler:

the game assassino_O
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kay wrote: »
    Actually, a few of us have been discussing this idea on IRC for some time, now. Then we come here, and Woogs has already posted. :(

But we had the FULL TEAM planned!

Hank - Human Valorous Bard
    Daphne - Half-Elf Wild Sorcerer (Cha 20, Int 8)
    Velma - Dwarf Swordmage
    Shaggy - Longtooth Shifter Beastmaster Ranger (that chinfluff of his is soooo shifterish)

And to round it all out...

THE MYSTERY MACHINE - Warforged Guardian Druid. (Primal Beast Form - 1966 Chevrolet Sportvan 108)

It would be epic.

HE LIES

Shaggy is a Human or Wilden Seeker and Scooby is a Beastmaster Ranger shifter with a pet named Scrappy

NO TRANSFORMERS IN HAUNTED MANSIONS

• SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Velma - Dwarf Swordmage

It would be epic.

You're totally playing Velma short there....I always thought she was kinda hot.

Glasses, knee socks, and short pleated skirt?
    Rowr!

The bob didn't hurt either.

• AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This looks very interesting!

Morpheus - Kalashtar Dreamwalker Psion
    Spoiler:

It's hard to focus sometimes on what's important, what is real. It's almost as if whenever I look out upon the world that I can't help but see the world behind the world, that ever shifting realm of wishes, expectations, nightmares. My kind had fled from that place some long time ago in the anals of ancient past but I cannot help but go back willingly, to step out of Reality and into a place where my very own thoughts can mingle with the countless imagingings of even more countless peoples. And curiously, I feel at home here in this shifting landscape of unrealized potential. I was born to walk these paths that no conscious person ever treads and because of this I feel a certain responsibility to this magnificent realm. It is not enough to simply gaze upon its splendors, but for one aware of its importance within the minds of all living creatures I am compelled to guard it, to maintain its sanctity and integrity against any that may threaten its foundation, its contribution to the beauty that is existence.

There are some people near me, within the waking world, speaking of something which seems unimportant right now. As they mingle, I gaze out upon the magnificent old mansion staring down at me from atop the hill. Its warped, decayed wood surrounded by gnarled trees and sense of dread is fascinating to behold, almost a literal representation of a person's most dreaded fear that I have spent untold time examining within the darkest corners of the Dream. It seems to call to me and to any that look on it and say, "Leave. Turn Back," a warning against the possibility of unspoken dangers. Yet, when gazing upon its mysterious facade I am reminded of a poem, from a memory sometime in my past:

Death is before me today:
    Like the recovery of a sick man,
    Like going forth into a garden after sickness.

Like the odor of myrrh,
    Like sitting under a sail in a good wind.

Like the course of a stream,
    Like the return of a man from the war-galley to his house.

Like the home that a man longs to see,
    After years spent as a captive."

As this memory comes unbidden to my thoughts, I cannot help but offer a rare smile to the mansion. It does not frigthen, for I am not afraid. I am simply at peace here, in this place, comforted by the knowledge that whatever is to come is within my power to shape. That it has its purpose and I have mine. With the assembled people still busy with their incidental conversations, I reach into a pouch fastened to my waist, withdrawing a tiny handful of sand. Extending my palm outward towards the hill, the sand is swept up by a gust of wind spreading further and further out in a spiral pattern to highlight the creaking mansion in the distance. A flock of birds take flight from one of the gnarled trees in the distance and I can hear the beating of wings...

Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
    edited June 2010
    Snowdown wrote: »
    Velma - Dwarf Swordmage

It would be epic.

You're totally playing Velma short there....I always thought she was kinda hot.

Glasses, knee socks, and short pleated skirt?
    Rowr!

The bob didn't hurt either.

Well. I am guilty of owning this t-shirt, so...

ew9y0DD.png
    edited June 2010
    Woogity wrote: »
    may i make a beastmaster ranger named shaggy with a canine beast named scoob?

This is not only allowed but encouraged.

I would most likely not take an entire 5 person Scooby Doo group to be fair to everyone else though.
    Couple of questions!

Groups of campy/cliched/borderline comedy troupes always need a straight man, right?

Also, Evil Gods worshipped by Unaligned characters. Kosher for this? I think only certain Divine classes have 'same as their deity' enforced alignment, right?

Totally kosher, though the character is responding to a plea for help.

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hakim Tariq Al-Zarqun
    Dragonborn Battlerager Fighter, Iron Vanguard

tariqh.jpg

"I want the statue of me over there. No, not that one, you idiot! The big one!"
    Spoiler:

Character Sheet

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Krikkit, Kobold Monk
    Spoiler:

There are stories of a mysterious warrior-poet who strikes harder with his bare hands than most men can with a blade. They say he fights with the strength of a dragon, and that he fights to redeem the honor of his people. They say he is three and a half feet tall and that he smells, oddly, of cabbage.

These stories are accurate.

Background:
    Spoiler:

• squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Saurfang wrote: »
    Krikkit, Kobold Monk

Gah! So awesome, wish I'd thought of it first. I love kobolds, even more than little goblins named splug. Even the picture you used is pure awesome.

• soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Veronica Targen
    Human Storm Sorceress and Jilted Lover - http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2028

Story:
    Spoiler:

Portrait:
    Spoiler:

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am amused you have discounted Mystery Inc. Like, what do you think man, we aren't real applicants?

Tell 'em Fred!

• AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll admit. I did not pickup on "Daig (the Bounty Hunter)" reference first time through. Then it clicked, :^:

Currently DMing: None right now! :(
    Characters
    [5e] Myriil Amarthen - AC 17 | HP 14 | Melee +6/1d6+4 | Spell +5/DC 13
  • firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Björn "To Cook" Cheffsön
    Warforged "Iron Chef" (Runepriest)

Walking down the main thoroughfare of Jastonbury, Björn is singing a pleasant tune: "Flangen, Borngen, Uskee Diskee Doo, Eebork Ahdeer Ork, A Bork Bork Bork!"

Upon reading the sign in town posted in Lord Nelson's name, Björn throws his wooden spoon high in the air and exclaims:

"Ifery groop oof edfentoorers needs tu eat, und vhet better tu eat thun zee best cuukeeng ooff a vunderffool chef, bork, bork, bork!"

He catches his spoon as it comes back down and begins to stir his pot excitedly, dropping a pinch of yellow flower petals into the steamy broth. Suddenly a loud DING! comes from his chest and he smiles, stopping next to a little old lady arguing over the price of rutabagas at a roadside table. Opening the door to his chest cavity, the smell of freshly baked cookies wafts into the marketplace. He scoops out one of the baked morsels and offers it to the lady.

"Vuoold yuoo leeke-a tu try oone-a oof my chuculete-a cheep buer vheeskey cuukeees zeey ere-a qooeete-a deleeghtffool und shell poot yuoo in a better hoomur, Yah!"

The woman drops the rutabaga and runs down the street, glancing over her shoulder to make sure she isn't followed.

"Hmmph! Sume-a peuple-a joost dun't eppreceeete-a a guud cuuk vheen zeey see-a oone-a."

Picture:
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms and Apperance:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Why he's here
    Spoiler:

Statblock:
    Spoiler:

Brink: Awesome so far on PC
    EvE: 0.0 killed the game for me :(
    edited June 2010
    I'll admit. I did not pickup on "Daig (the Bounty Hunter)" reference first time through. Then it clicked,

Well, I am known for my subtlety. I was also thinking about a dragonborn sorceror named TROGDOR! (in all caps, officially spelled with the exclamation point). But I think the joke would play out after the first time I burninated a peasant (or ghost thereof). I think I can roll the "burned out war vet living in a bad action movie" theme much further.

TheGnomeRaar.png

Mannerisms and Appearance
    Spoiler:

Background
    Spoiler:
    Why he's here
    Spoiler:

• HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Triumph
    Longtooth Shifter Cunning Bard - Silvertongued Scoundrel

Portrait:
    Spoiler:

Background:
    Spoiler:

Character Sheet

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    horseshoe this is unacceptable.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would want to sign up for this, ordinarily.

But 1. I've DM'ed this adventure before, and 2. I see so many awesome concepts I have to let them shine on.

farangu.png

Come join my Let's Play of Total War: Rome II! Boss around some Gauls!
  • PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Terrius - Minotaur Berserker (Blooded Champion)

Picture:
    Spoiler:
    Backstory :

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Why he is here
    Spoiler:

I thought it would be funny to make this guy. I'm in a D&D game but its not pbp its maptool and it has not started yet.

Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Finally got a picture of Daig up. I hope Mr. Selleck is cool with borrowing his 'stache.

"See that rabbit 100 feet away?"

Twang!
    Twang!
    Twang!

Well, with those three arrows now sticking out of it, you cannot miss it!

Picture:
    Spoiler:

Mannerisms and appearance:
    Spoiler:

What's he doing here?
    Spoiler:

edited June 2010
    Group Application - Mysteries Inc.
    Spoiler:
    STARRING!
    Spoiler:

(Just waiting on the sheet from Arivia, and then it's complete.)

ew9y0DD.png
  • KeldonusKeldonus Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Stone Stoneson, Dwarven Dreadnought Fighter

Spoiler:

Why he's here
    Spoiler:

Statblock (don't have DDI)
    Spoiler:

• KeldonusKeldonus Registered User
    edited June 2010
    "Endless" Zendar, Halfling Chaos Mage Sorceror

Spoiler:

Why he's here
    Spoiler:

Stat Block (again, no DDI)
    Spoiler:

• bladecruiserbladecruiser Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Hrm. Crazy character ideas are welcome, eh? Alrighty!

Tetter, Bullywug Frenzied Berserker

Background
    Spoiler:

Portrait
    Spoiler:

...danke schön, danke schön...
    MedicSig.jpg