As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Easiest way to automate copying from one browser to another

L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duckMinnesotaRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a question here. I want to automate a very large task that involves copying data from received in a browser from one server onto another browser that goes to another server. I don't want to spend a half a year doing it by hand, because that's a waste. There is no back-end access to the DB, and I'll be using a Windows XP machine. What's the easiest way to do this?

We're basically copying the contents of one (supposedly faulty) server to another (less faulty), but there is no back-end access, otherwise that would have been done that way. The only way that they have access to the contents is through the front-end...

L Ron Howard on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You could write a program to scrap data from an html, but, that'll be probably more time than just doing it by hand. Especially if you have to babysit it, or program all the searching of data, or whatever.

How is there no backend to the DB? Or, how come the replacement server people who installed the software don't know how to do this?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry for that being so vague. I didn't have all of the information. Basically, there are two servers, one is hosted somewhere else, and one is hosted locally. There needs to be a way to get the information from one server to the other, but there is no real way to get into the DB on the back-end of the remote server. So, until someone gets us access, the only way to recover that information is through the front-end. That's why we can't get the data directly.
    To put the data into the local server, the easiest way is to just paste the data and hit the button. I hear that there's someone working on it, but that person is out of town. Regardless, the data needs to be moved from one place to another while that utility or whatever is finished.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    joraxjorax Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you are really stuck with mind-numbing data transfer, I recommend a macro program. I tried one called Workspace Macro a while back for a similar task and it did great. You can only run 30 scripts or so for before it stops working and asks for a product key ($20'ish), but once you get a macro that works you can let it run for days if necessary as that is only one "run" per the program. I got all my work done for free :).

jorax on