As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xerox Printer has me at wits end

blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I work at my University (University of North Texas in case it ends up being useful information) as an IT Support Tech for a large section of the school, and one of my buildings is having this odd printer issue. This printer has been a pain in our ass before, but someone has always managed to scrape it back into working order, but this one has the whole office stumped, so I think it's time to pull out the big guns that is H/A

What it's doing is every so often (They say 3-4 times a day) it will only print some of the information on the page, and then the next page will print "ERROR: Undefined Offending Command: [some numbers, I've seen 083 and 039] STACK OVERFLOW". My google-fu and the use of Stack Overflow tells me that it seems to just not like a character it comes across, but they aren't doing anything funky, just printing from the web and Office.

I've tried rolling back the driver, I've tried updating the driver, I've tried removing it from the network, and adding it back in, I've tried turning off Post Script errors hoping that it would force itself to print, but in all honesty, printers are usually a weakspot for me. I fucking hate them.

The printer is a Xerox Work Centre m20 that is run through a network.

If this kind of question is against the rules I apologize, I'm not trying to get anyone to do my job for me or anything, but I literally don't know what to do, and I'm the new guy, so I'm still trying to prove my worth. Y'all know how that goes.

tl;dr: Xerox Work Center m20 on my schools network errors out while printing, and prints a page that says ERROR: UNDEFINED, and I have no idea what the fuck is going on

blakfeld on

• WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This might seem a bit obvious, but have you tried calling Xerox tech support?

They'll know the printer better than any of us and can probably give you an answer faster.

Wezoin on
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wezoin wrote: »
    This might seem a bit obvious, but have you tried calling Xerox tech support?

They'll know the printer better than any of us and can probably give you an answer faster.

Yeah they did, Xerox just says it's not the printer and moves on, and I believe that its not DIRECTLY the hardwares fault, it seems to just come across a character it doesn't like, I read about the anti-aliasing on some fonts causing it to happen, but if thats the case, I don't think there's really a way I can fix it.

blakfeld on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It actually prints the page with the undefined on it?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can you get away with printing PCL? Or maybe switching PostScript versions?

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Copy/Paste the text from Office onto a notepad, then print the notepad. If it works, it could be a Font issue, if it doesn't, something else.

Is it shared off a server? Try connecting directly (either via LPT/USB or create a direct TCP/IP port from a fresh workstation with the latest driver and printing. Still doesn't work? See if there's an updated firmware, or even a way to reflash the current firmware.

If that doesn't do it, I'd say the printer's onboard memory could be flaky.

Ruckus on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah it's definately a postscript error from what I can tell. PCL may work.

Though, honestly, unless you were hired to fix printers or Xerox stuff, just ask someone. It's better to ask for help when you struggle than struggling for days and then get fired because your boss expected something printed and handed in and you couldn't get it done in time.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited June 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah it's definately a postscript error from what I can tell. PCL may work.

Though, honestly, unless you were hired to fix printers or Xerox stuff, just ask someone. It's better to ask for help when you struggle than struggling for days and then get fired because your boss expected something printed and handed in and you couldn't get it done in time.

I wasn't hired specifically for printers, in fact, we technically don't support printers, but everyone here in the office is just as clueless about it as I am, but I'd like to get it figured out because I like the people that it's currently affecting, but if I can't get it, nothing bad will happen.

But yeah, it actually prints out a page that says ERROR:UNDEFINED

I just got into the office, so I'm gonna head out there today and poke around with it. I connected my office machine to that printer, and haven't had an issue, but it happens with both the machines in that office. It's honestly pretty old, so I'm kind of thinking the printer memory may end up being the issue.

The honestly baffling part is, you could print the same document several times, and it would only error out on it once.

Ah! It looks like there's a new firmware, lets try that out...

blakfeld on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah that's a printer hardware issue of some sort I'd bet. Probably time to kick the bucket and recommend to management that it's time to upgrade.

bowen on
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I updated the firmware, now I just have to wait and see if that takes care of it, otherwise, I think the only thing to do is recommend replacement

Thanks so much for the help guys! I actually didn't even think of that. I'll update y'all if that works.

blakfeld on