As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Close Encounters with the Death Kind

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's past midnight in the timezone as I was born in.

I am now 31.

Weaver on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    I was on a jobsite a few years back, happily (not really) drilling away, on an old noisy, dusty fucker like this. When some dumbass rattlesnake finally decided he'd come up out of his hole and find out what all the noise was about. It bit my steel toe 3 times before I looked down and saw it there. I think I jumped about 10 feet straight up.

The next day the site super informed me that fluorescent marking paint shouldn't be used to make the wildlife more visible.

We would fill metal tubes with parts at my last job. The tubs were stored outside sometime. I threw some parts in one and wasps started coming out from some hollow tube built into the tub. I used yellow spray paint to try and ground them but it just made them mad.

I had to warn everyone that they were not honeybees since they would not stop stinging you after one go. The heat killed them all pretty quickly.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Weaver wrote: »

I am now 31.

huh I had kind of assumed you were older, what with all the... everything

L|ama on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I am now 31.

Happy birthday!

I have to agree with Llama, from some of the stories I would've figured you were older.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A few weeks ago, my uncle ate a piece of gorgonzola he found in the fridge.

Turns out it was actually a really, really old piece of quiche.

He's still sick.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    D:!

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    L|ama wrote: »

I am now 31.

huh I had kind of assumed you were older, what with all the... everything

I used to be a very busy man.

Weaver on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    one time a guy tried to punch me in the throat! does that count? can i be in the club? :(

No.

Get out and live more.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    but if i live more i could die!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone threatened my life with a knife once but it wasn't very sharp.

pillow on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never even been in a real fight

Couple of schoolyard scrapes when I was in elementary school

I haven't experienced very much danger in my life at all

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    pillow wrote: »

Keep your hands off other bois wimmin'

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have never had a brush with death thankfully. I've always been a very cautious child and generally won't do anything with any potential for harm or pain.

I'm not that exciting.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Stale wrote: »

Keep your hands off other bois wimmin'

It was a crazy bitch!

I asked her to stop being angry, but nooooo

pillow on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have never had a brush with death thankfully. I've always been a very cautious child and generally won't do anything with any potential for harm or pain.

I'm not that exciting.

Remember that black guy that talked to you in the computer lab?

That was your brush with death.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I used to work in a machine shop. One day some fool left the chuck key in a press. He turned it on and the key went whipping past my head and embedded in the wall behind me.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'm not that exciting.

Remember that black guy that talked to you in the computer lab?

That was your brush with death.

Oh my God YES . . .

Fore reference, I was at school, sitting in the computer lab and just dicking around on the internet, looking at some of Andrew Hussie's old comics, either on his site or here on the forums. I was looking at this:

00084-somisc.gif

I chuckled, and scrolled past it, when a voice asks, "Was that a comic?"

I turn to my right and realized that sitting next to me was a tall, muscular black youth.

" . . . Yes."

"Oh." He leans back into his seat and keeps doing whatever.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Procrastinating instead of doing my forum battle.

brush-with-death.png

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    THE RIGHT CHOICE

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I still think screaming "IT'S IRONIC!" would have been the best resolution to that situation, muse.

Someone in my group got a knife held to their throat in cooking class at high school. That guy was a fucking psycho, last year he had a court appearance for throwing a beer bottle at another car when driving, then after the court appearance he filled up a paintball gun with marbles and shot them at passing cars. I wonder if he's in jail yet, hope so.

L|ama on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War

This is how I know my parents love me.

*Dead body to the left*
    Look royce, look at the birdie to the right
    *Dead body to the right*
    Look at the cloud royce, doesn't it look like spot?
    Can we go home and see spot? I miss her and she was hungry.
    Soon, son, soon.

It was a famine and....damn....now i'm sad.

Also pony, WHAT THE HELL MAN!?!?! My niece was just born last week!!!!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I felt so bad . . . I don't know if he actually got to read it since I was scrolling rather quickly but who knows :(

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I felt so bad . . . I don't know if he actually got to read it since I was scrolling rather quickly but who knows :(

If it weren't for the fact that so many players left their silly goose brain back in high school, I would be upset about that. Here's hoping that all the people I knew in high school that are in the NBA and NFL don't fuck things up.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Actually I think he might have played basketball . . .

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The welfare check one is better anyway

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I still think screaming "IT'S IRONIC!" would have been the best resolution to that situation, muse.

Someone in my group got a knife held to their throat in cooking class at high school. That guy was a fucking psycho, last year he had a court appearance for throwing a beer bottle at another car when driving, then after the court appearance he filled up a paintball gun with marbles and shot them at passing cars. I wonder if he's in jail yet, hope so.

She was really, really drunk, and was taking medicine that didn't mix well with drinking. I'll always be good at making excuse for her, I suppose.

pillow on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a terrible memory but reading this thread has gotten me to go "oh hey I remember doing something similar" twice now.

19 yrs old, POS 1st car, poor driving skills, dead of night, windy road at high speed. I get my right rear wheel stuck in what I think is a ditch. Get my dads truck, yank the car out. While doing that it is now dawn and there is light enough to see that the ditch was in fact the lip of a rather nasty cliff face that would have ended me and my car. My dad was not impressed.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've flipped a car on the highway, lit my face on fire, engaged in a number of choreographed fights with real weapons, gotten into an argument with a man who claimed to have a gun on him (almost positive he didn't), had multiple untreated concussions, and last week I dodged a throwing knife that ricocheted really bad off the target.

It's nothing as dangerous as it may sound.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a friend who flipped a car. She was pretty good on guitar.

I say was because she flipped the car because she fell asleep at the wheel, 'cause she was pushing pretty hard at work.

And when she flipped the car, her left hand was torn off.

It was reattached, but she probably won't ever have full use of it.

Khavall on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well there was this one time I almost drown, and then the other time where some guy (I've been told a crackhead) ran up to me and smacked me straight in the head with a baseball bat. I was eight.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Flipping the car was really not that spectacular. I wasn't paying attention while driving somewhere in Vermont, and I wasn't used to the car so when I hit the rumble strip I cranked the wheel harder than I should have, and spun the rear end of the car off the side of the road onto the grass median. Then I bounced around down the median on the various sides of the car before coming to a stop. I wasn't really injured, other than some whiplash and minor cuts from broken glass. The car was totalled.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've flipped a car on the highway, lit my face on fire, engaged in a number of choreographed fights .

I read all that as one sentence describing a single event.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I totally want to try putting marbles in a paintball gun

better yet... ballbearings

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    considering that the military use marbles in paintball guns as less-lethal rounds, I wouldn't recommend it.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oh I wouldn't shoot them at people.

I mean I'm kind of an asshole so I'd be tempted, but I would just shoot them at shit.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I've flipped a car on the highway, lit my face on fire, engaged in a number of choreographed fights .

I read all that as one sentence describing a single event.

Straightzi is Jason Stathem.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can think of 2 occasions where I felt more mortal than usual.

The first was when I was in 2nd grade. My dad was driving me and my sister to my mom's house for winter break. We were on a highway in Kansas and the road had some black ice on it. My dad started uncontrollably drifting into oncoming traffic just as a semi was coming in the other direction. My dad did all he could , but we were basically just sliding on the ice, at the whim of momentum. At what felt like the last possible moment, a gust of wind blew our car back into our lane and into the ditch on the other side. The car had a dent from where we took out a mile marker, but other than that we were fine.

The second was a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure that I've posted the story before, but I'm posting it again anyway. On Christmas break 4 years ago, I had tweaked my back and was simultaneously coming down with a cold. My wife (girlfriend at the time) thought I had Meningitis because of the back pain. I finally let her take me to the hospital so that she'd stop worrying (and because she called my mom and got her worked up too).

The only test for Meningitis is a lumbar puncture (spinal tap), so I got to endure a long ass needle poking me in the vertebrae for about 5 minutes before the doctor finally managed to get it in. The test came back negative for Meningitis, so I went home. The next day, I had these horrible headaches whenever I sat up straight for more than a minute. So, my girlfriend took me back to the hospital and they ran a cat scan. On the cat scan, they found a "brain lesion". Basically a big black spot where brain should be.

The doctor told me that it could be any number of things, one of which was a tumor. They scheduled me for an MRI the next day to get a better look. That was one of the longest nights of my life. After contemplating my probable death by brain cancer, I went in to get the MRI. It turns out I just have an abnormally large vein in my brain. I was probably born with it, and it's not dangerous or anything. Just a weird genetic thing.

The doctor then told me that the horrible headaches were caused by the spinal fluid they took out during my lumbar puncture. They gave me two treatment options. The first was to have my blood taken and injected back into my spinal column to make up for the lost fluid (they called this "blood packing"). The second was to lie on my back for 2 days while my body regenerated the fluid. I chose the second and used the time to get 75% of the way through Shadow Hearts 2.

Halibut on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I feel like I would have chosen the same thing.

"lie down and be lazy for 2 days... or have us inject your blood into your spine"

....do...do I get to smoke pot while I lie down for 2 days?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I almost drowned in a well once.

I am baby Jessica.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Survived nearly falling straight on my head when I was 4ish.
    Survived scarlet fever (it still exists, go figure).
    Was hit right above my eye with a hockey stick when I was 7ish, then split the same eyebrow open falling on a concrete step (the latter more life threatening with the crazy bleeding out).
    Nearly hit by a large falling tree (more than once).
    Nearly run over by a tractor while biking (The driver was likely drunk and the thing took up both lanes, winning combination right there).
    Fell down a hill leaving a golfball sized dent in the helmet I was wearing near my right temple, which is why I always wear a helmet when biking.
    Nearly killed by a snowplow in a vehicle I wasn't driving (my sister was driving, did a 180 across two lanes and ended up in a ditch after hitting black ice).
    Nearly drove into the side of a McDonalds with a vehicle I was driving (don't ask).
    Just recently survived a crazy windstorm/tornado.

I'm sure there's more stuff I could rattle off, but that's all I remember at the moment.

Sir Red of the Manti on