As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The E3 Keynote Thread - EA Conference @ youtube.com/e3

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    "I prefer my Zelda games to look like Oblivion boring generic fantasy shit" is about as far as I got in your post.
    I prefer my Zelda games to keep its original look from the first three games.

If that's still considered Oblivion boring generic fantasy, well, Zelda did it first.

Oh my gods you guys can we not do this in here? There's a Zelda thread for this bullshit.

I don't want to do this ever. Like I said, we all have our preferences. Just don't quote me on something I didn't say in the first place.

Anyway, PSP2, is it happening?

Nope, not this year. I'll be very surprised if it does.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh I fucking took it there. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fuck. I'll be in class all day of E3....

urahonky on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    "I prefer my Zelda games to look like Oblivion boring generic fantasy shit" is about as far as I got in your post.

I prefer my Zelda games to keep its original look from the first three games.

So...2d?

Oh man I would love a new 2d Zelda (without stylus controls).

In order to get hyped for the presser I'm thinking about playing some Zelda this weekend but I cannot for the life of me decide which one.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PSP2 is totally gonna happen this year

As a matter of fact knowing the insane hype around 3DS, the PSP's shitty software sales, the PSP Go's shitty sales, Sony's terrible decision making process, and their general need to try and outpace their competitors by ineffectually stealing their thunder, I can't see it not happening

Also Sony just patented a DSalike prototype a coupla weeks ago iirc

It's happening

Henroid- Exxxtreme Poster Living On the Edge :P

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only solution, deadonthestreet, is to number each one of your zelda games and then go to: http://www.random.org/ and then generate a random number.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

As a matter of fact knowing the insane hype around 3DS, the PSP's shitty software sales, the PSP Go's shitty sales, Sony's terrible decision making process, and their general need to try and outpace their competitors by ineffectually stealing their thunder, I can't see it not happening

It's happening

Not if Sony wasn't expecting Nintendo to announce the 3DS this year.

If they somehow caught wind of it early on, then yeah, it's possible. But considering how much they were pushing the PSP Go last year, I have my doubts.

• Options
    edited June 2010
    oh hey urahonky are you as excited for a Blue Dragon 2 annoucement as I am?!!?!?!?!?!
    :v:

Rent on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I say PSP2 is happening, yeah, but not at E3. Isn't it, like, games.com conference or something that Sony usually has a big to-do at? That's probably when it'll be, otherwise we would've gotten a leak by now.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Or maybe they got better in guarding their secrets.

They managed to keep FFXIV a secret after all.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sony isn't going to push PSP2 until they see what 3DS is all about.

Just you watch.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Or maybe they got better in guarding their secrets.

They managed to keep FFXIV a secret after all.

Wasn't that last year?

When every one of their other announcements were leaked?

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Like I said, they managed to guard at least one.

Maybe this year they learned to guard two.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's happening

First, the total lack of leaks is a very big sign that it's not happening this year. We've already seen motherboard for the 3DS and a redesigned motherboard for the Xbox. We knew of the Go and the PS3 slim before last year's E3. There hasn't even been a rumor surrounding it.

As for the DS-like patent, that wasn't a game device. It was something like the MS device that was canceled (clam-shell tablet-like device).

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Why do people think Nintendo is going to announce a Wii HD. I mean other than the fact that they want one

Why would Nintendo do that when they are already making money hand over fist every month like always? Why would they waffle in the wind on their design decisions from the start of this generation?

Admittedly, they made some bad moves (underestimating the importance of online and that experience, plus the proliferation of HDTVs) but with their fantastic market penetration it's basically a race for second place at this point. Why bother manufacturing and marketing and producing and packaging and shipping a new console that the majority of their current customers won't buy anyway?

Microsoft and Sony are waffling in the wind, the 360's addition of avatars and the "new xbox experience", Sony's unveiling of "trophies" and a possible PS3 Premium paid-online experience, and now both consoles are readying their own bullshit motion control nonsense to try and capitalize on what they think is the reason for the Wii's success and you know what? I'm predicting failure. Or at least not the burning success they're both hoping for

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What's been leaked so far for this E3, anyway? Can someone post a list?

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Why do people think Nintendo is going to announce a Wii HD. I mean other than the fact that they want one

Why would Nintendo do that when they are already making money hand over fist every month like always? Why would they waffle in the wind on their design decisions from the start of this generation?

Admittedly, they made some bad moves (underestimating the importance of online and that experience, plus the proliferation of HDTVs) but with their fantastic market penetration it's basically a race for second place at this point. Why bother manufacturing and marketing and producing and packaging and shipping a new console that the majority of their current customers won't buy anyway?

Microsoft and Sony are waffling in the wind, the 360's addition of avatars and the "new xbox experience", Sony's unveiling of "trophies" and a possible PS3 Premium paid-online experience, and now both consoles are readying their own bullshit motion control nonsense to try and capitalize on what they think is the reason for the Wii's success and you know what? I'm predicting failure. Or at least not the burning success they're both hoping for

People think Nintendo is going to do it because Pachter said Nintendo needs it!
    nobody actually listens to him

Henroid on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, here's what I want to see.

Sony: I deal with Sony the least, so I'll put them first. I'd like to see more in the line of the GoW collection. Ico/SotC and Ratchet & Clank collections in particular. However, this is only because I completely missed the PS2 generation and all the awesome games that came with it. Beyond that, I hope they don't push 3D gaming that much (I have no plans to pick up a new TV within the next several years), and I'd like to see some competitive pricing on Move. Like I said, I deal with Sony the least so I can't do much here. A price drop would be nice to stir competition though; but I doubt we'll see it beyond a Move bundle.

Nintendo: I probably won't get a 3DS right away, so my only interest is purely academic at this point. I doubt we'll see a Wii HD and honestly don't see the point of one. (Either it JUST upscales games to HD, in which case it kind of sucks for the 40 million people who already own the console; or it does more and fragments the community, and I'm stuck not having certain games because I don't have the 1337 model). Software side, I'd like to see them either pull some of their older franchise back to the forefront (Star Fox, Kid Icarus, etc.) or just make something new. I don't see myself being super-interested in a Mario Galaxy 3, for instance.

Microsoft: Just give us some fucking indication of where you're going. There's Natal, but that can't be the lynchpin for your ongoing strategy. You can keep pumping out Halos, but what else? An Xbox Slim? (Please let it use the old harddrives somehow!). Microsoft really needs to start batting well in the software front: Either by whipping their first party studios into shape (I'm looking at you, Rare) or start handing out moneyhats to third partys.

Overall, I'm kinda blah on all three.. IMO, we've reached a lull where most of the "OH MY GOD" games are due out within the next year and we haven't really heard what's next yet. Hopefully E3 delivers instead of putting its head up the ass of new hardware.

On the games front, I want to see more about Gears of War 3, the new Zelda and the Batman sequel. I dunno if I want to see more about Portal 2 or just wait to be surprised when it's finally release. Most of the other games I'm interested in come out within the next month or two, so I'm not really wanting to see any more of them until I get my hands on 'em.)

I'd like to see if Capcom figured out where they're taking the RE franchise yet. A Shadow Complex 2 would also be awesome. There was rumors of a new, darker version of Spore and I'd like to see if they could finally turn the concept in a decent game. Most of all, I want to see fucking Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or whatever they have now.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah seriously

The Wii HD as a console is something totally counter to what the Wii is all about

Wishing for a Wii HD is missing the point entirely

Also what games would even be improved significantly in HD on the Wii? NMH 1/2, Metroid Prime Trilogy...and...that's it?

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah seriously

The Wii HD as a console is something totally counter to what the Wii is all about

Also what games would even be improved significantly in HD on the Wii? NMH 1/2, Metroid Prime Trilogy...and...that's it?

Do a YouTube search and get back to me.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010

Because people still suffer under the idea that

1) The majority of the market is in HD (it's not)

2) HD is required for a game to "work" (so far, no game has needed HD to work - I haven't seen any HD-only 360 games yet). In fact most popular titles are running at 600p and 640p.

when in the end it's

Artistic Ability and Style > Resolution
    Admittedly, they made some bad moves (underestimating the importance of online and that experience, plus the proliferation of HDTVs) but with their fantastic market penetration it's basically a race for second place at this point. Why bother manufacturing and marketing and producing and packaging and shipping a new console that the majority of their current customers won't buy anyway

Everyone predicted the adoption of the internet wrong - Microsoft just had the advantage of a bit better software engineering and were able to fix their issues with the NXE. It's been stated that the original 360 dashboard was designed with the thought that there would be around 200 items for download on Xbox Live total. Like, this includes all DLC and all games combined. Not the $TEXAS amount of content they ended up having. Nintendo went for compatibility and ease of use but got bit with their setup. Sony was able to mostly bail themselves out because of the required hard drive on their console, meaning they can push out as big of an update as they want to. MS had to subsidize being able to install the NXE by giving away memcards and HDDs.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah seriously

Do a YouTube search and get back to me.

I'm watching this SMG HD YT vid and although the menus are crisper the HDness makes the environments look worse because of all the artifacting and stuff

So now I'm less impressed, if anything

So I say again: Everyone who wants a Wii HD is completely missing the point of what the Wii is trying to accomplish

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Because people still suffer under the idea that

1) The majority of the market is in HD (it's not)

2) HD is required for a game to "work" (so far, no game has needed HD to work - I haven't seen any HD-only 360 games yet). In fact most popular titles are running at 600p and 640p.

when in the end it's

Artistic Ability and Style > Resolution

Why can't it be both? Lots of games have both.

You really want The Last Guardian on 480p? If the option's available for high resolutions, the game makers should cater to those owners.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Microsoft: Just give us some fucking indication of where you're going. There's Natal, but that can't be the lynchpin for your ongoing strategy. You can keep pumping out Halos, but what else? An Xbox Slim? (Please let it use the old harddrives somehow!). Microsoft really needs to start batting well in the software front: Either by whipping their first party studios into shape (I'm looking at you, Rare) or start handing out moneyhats to third partys.

I think that's what makes Microsoft so interesting, this E3. Beyond Natal, Reach and Fable III, we have no idea what they're up to. I expect we'll get some major bombshells that'll rock the Sony crew. There's that countdown on a Kojima Productions website that coincides with the MS press conference, for example.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Why can't it be both? Lots of games have both.

You really want The Last Guardian on 480p? If the option's available for high resolutions, the game makers should cater to those owners.

Just because there's the option doesn't mean it's not insanely costly to implement

Also entitlement itt

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Chance wrote: »

I think that's what makes Microsoft so interesting, this E3. Beyond Natal, Reach and Fable III, we have no idea what they're up to. I expect we'll get some major bombshells that'll rock the Sony crew. There's that countdown on a Kojima Productions website that coincides with the MS press conference, for example.

Oh please oh please oh please let it be Metal Gear Solid 4: SsssNanomachines for 360

The fanboy rage it will be delicious

Rent on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want Sony to dedicate at least a solid 25 minutes to just messing around in LBP2

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

People think Nintendo is going to do it because Pachter said Nintendo needs it!
    nobody actually listens to him

I saw this dude spoutin' some nonsense just the other day! Who the hell is he, anyway

And look, I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Wii HD. I'm not even saying it's a bad idea! Higher resolutions do help make games look good, you know

It's just that Nintendo didn't think it was necessary, so they didn't bother putting it in, and this late into the generation, after they've been dominating for most of it, there is no fiscal sense in making such a huge investment for something that isn't a huge upgrade or is really necessary for most of the Wii's userbase (children and old people)

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Oh please oh please oh please let it be Metal Gear Solid 4: SsssNanomachines for 360

How do we know when it ends? It just says "Days Remaining", no hours or anything. And it just says 3 days, so, Tuesday, when, like, everyone has a conference. You're talking about this one, right?

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They're gonna talk about Metal Gear Rising, obviously

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, its totally going to be a badass trailer.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oh hey urahonky are you as excited for a Blue Dragon 2 annoucement as I am?!!?!?!?!?!

I'ma buy two copies... One for me, and one for you. I'm that kind of person. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

If it means a version of Metal Gear Online that wasn't the worst online game of all time, I'd be all for it.

• Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only thing I hope to hear anything about is the rumored Ico/SotC collection.

(Hopeless pipe dream - Mega Man Legends 3 for PS3)

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    urahonky wrote: »

I'ma buy two copies... One for me, and one for you. I'm that kind of person. :P

And they will be the only two copies sold!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw have I told you recently that you're my favoritist poster in the whole wide world?

Because it's true

Rent on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NAND NOR wrote: »
    (Hopeless pipe dream - Mega Man Legends 3 for PS3)

Damn it now I want that.

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    I want Sony to dedicate at least a solid 25 minutes to just messing around in LBP2

This.

Tig on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wanna know what Retro have been up too, as well as the Paper Mario crew, since their last game. This was my major wish last year as well.

Ofcource Im excited about the big games we already know about. But the unknown, what's yet to be announced, is what excites me.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Every E3 I hope for 2 specific games, every E3 I am disappointed. Is it really too much to ask for a new Age of Wonders and/or Asheron's Call?

But at least Nintendo should have a good showing this year, with the 3DS and new Zelda, its press conference will basically be a follow up to their 2004 showing. Though nothing will top the introduction of Reggie.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
This discussion has been closed.