As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flay's Flailings (NSFW/NSF56K)

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    The good news is work has finished for the year, so I have a little more time to study. The bad news is it's christmas so all that time will be eaten up anyway.

Prompt: Geological Anomaly, 30 minutes

KZud67i.jpg

• MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    I really dig your linear work: the medieval warrior, the Proko studies. You've been posting a lot of speed paints that (I only assume) aren't built on top of underdrawings, and I'm sort of curious to see these talents merge! This piece seems closest to what I picture.
    I admire the way you've set yourself to the speed paints, though.

edited December 2016
    Big dump today. I got out of the habit of posting spitpaints thanks to the holidays, but I've still been doing them every day.

Prompt: Fuel for Winter

KN8OxL9.jpg

Prompt: Vulture Swordsman (really half-assed, because it was very late)

sziKdDD.jpg

Prompt: Volcanic landscape (also half-assed, because it was very early)

nknk8xY.jpg

Prompt: Shortcut

HcIJ7l9.jpg

Prompt: Steel Flesh

poorm7N.jpg

Prompt: Sci-Fi Scientist. Away from home for this one. This was the point when I realised that drawing characters scares me, but it's also something that I'd really like to be better at. I've resolved to focus on drawing them for a little while, even if the results aren't great.

dF3BCwS.jpg

Prompt: Hero of the Arena

3w80JUY.jpg

Prompt: Snowbeard

mr4DmgY.jpg

I feel like my more recent spitpaints are much less imaginative. I'm trying to keep things simple, so that I can focus on technique over narrative, but I still think I could produce some more unique designs than these.

Anyway crits always appreciated!

Flay on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I actually really like this most recent batch, Flay! The "shortcut" one in particular is really whimsical and I think conveys a ton of meaning in a short space. I do feel like some of the character stuff is less dynamic but that's hard to change in a 30-minute spitpaint aside from choosing more dynamic posing out of the gate, which can really complicate your composition. I do think you've really done well in making the format of a spitpaint project (the short time and random subject matter) work well for you, though!

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    The shortcut one really stood out to me, too. Such a fun idea. I'm really admiring your creative vision on some of these!

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm not happy with that character stuff, but hopefully it improves with time.

Anyway I got out of the habit of posting these thanks to new years, but I'm back now:

Prompt: Burning Pitch

kS02OoF.jpg

Prompt: Outlaws

CYEkIp1.jpg

Prompt: Rhino Skin

EWCa5Y8.jpg

And a 45 minute back study

pBCDStG.jpg

Starting to get back into the swing of things

Prompt: Middle of Nowhere

QPH7AaW.jpg

Prompt: Gleaming Scales

KSocxyn.jpg

Prompt: I Don't Want to Go

rvFTylG.jpg

Prompt: Animal Doctor

rB1qGE7.jpg

Prompt: Fireball

A1PdtT9.jpg

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    omg doctor corgi
    the cutest

edited January 2017
    Dr. Corgi is the pride of the hospital!

Here's another spitpaint, prompt: Birch Trees

I5bvh3Q.jpg

Also a chameleon/lighting study
    HGrd0ky.jpg

Flay on
    edited July 2017
    Shaking off the rust

Daily spitpaint: Polar Bear Meeting

vu16Con.jpg

Flay on
    edited July 2017
    Daily spitpaint: mushroom trees

q2srSfI.jpg

Flay on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Flay!!

Nice to see you back at it. That polar bear nose looks great. It hasn't taken long for these little studies to start improving, I hope you keep it rolling.

Thanks Iruka! I'll try to keep it up. Man I feel like I've forgotten everything

edited July 2017
    s46FSY9.jpg

30 minutes, prompt: good zombie

Also taking my first stab at sculpting

xQisdED.jpg

Flay on
    mTMaYnL.jpg

30 minutes, prompt: The Sculptor

Had an idea, but I don't think I stuck the landing

anUO2jB.jpg

30 minutes, prompt: Mermaid

cpJTlD5.jpg

30 minutes, prompt: Secret Door

A couple of days break because I went snowboarding

edited August 2017
    dZo71Kw.jpg

30 minutes, prompt: Root System

9ZPHt6B.jpg

30 minutes, prompt: Futurism

Flay on
    a2xSE2F.jpg

30 minutes, prompt: Lasso Master

really, really like the tree roots, and the dogwood forest from a few posts back. In general these little paintings are fun.

The secret door some perspective issues, I cant tell whats supposed to be happening with the ground. You are getting solid concepts down in 30 minutes though, I'm really impressed by the general quality of these thumbnails, it feels like the theme you are trying to get across in each one are clearly represented.

I cant remember if you are gunning for some particular type of work? Are you just in general improvement mode, at the moment?

Cheers Iruka. I'm gunning for a career as a concept artist for games, but I don't have the portfolio to start applying yet. Keep getting distracted from making something refined

I've been doing a bunch of 30-45 min film studies lately (part of my digital painting class), but I haven't been posting them because they're honestly pretty bad. I feel like I'm starting to make some progress though.

Here's week 1

hPLeLTz.jpg

And here's week 5

fQh3hkZ.jpg

Oh thats right, I forgot that you're at school.

It's super hard to put out portfolio worthy work when you are in the middle of trying to gain a lot of basic skills a once. Everyone has times when they are studying and not really putting out their most refined work, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If it's not part of your course work, though, I'd really recommend at least starting to write down Ideas/Goals for the types of companies you might want to apply to, and what work would help you get with them particularly. One of my own major failings was never spending the time to learn how I could actually fit into the industry and actually pushing myself towards that portfolio on a constant and consistent basis.

edited September 2017
    That's a good idea, I did a similar thing a little while ago, but I should go back to it.

Here's a 60 minute study from today:

iLFx5Yt.jpg

Flay on
    45 minute study from today

jrG6DLE.jpg

60 minute study

JG48xUl.jpg

45 minute study. That nose is all kinds of messed up

yeytnlj.jpg

An image that I'm working on

fAO1bZc.jpg

And a 45 minute study from today

P9pUpOI.jpg

50 minute study

Xz8M02f.jpg

Hey guys, had some health issues that prevented me from doing much art, but I'm back now!

Currently I'm working through the fundamentals of lighting on Schoolism, here's exercise no. 2

H7wDxVV.jpg

Crits appreciated, as always

Flaaaayy!

I'm glad you're feeling better! Also, awesome to see you going through the schoolism class! Working on fundamentals is a great way to get back into the swing of things, I could stand for a few studies myself. I hope you keep going with it, and posting!

Irukaaaaaaa

Sup

Yeah the fundamentals of lighting course has been great. I've been kind of disappointed with schoolism in the past. The Dice Tsutsumi course didn't gel with me and Nathan Fowkes just talks so incredibly slowly, but Nielson is excellent

oh, I've not heard much about the dice Tsutsumi course, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I think Fowkes lectures are obnoxious (slow, full of alot of rah rah about the industry instead of useful content) but his feedback sessions were worth watching. I eventually started fast forwarding through his lectures.

I feel like I see the most successful student work from Neilson, and though his lectures are a bit of a pain for me to follow because of how heavily technical they are, I really appreciate the depth of his knowledge on light.

edited February 2018
    The Dice Tsutsumi stuff seemed fine, I just didn't respond to it. I only saw about one and a half lessons though, because I was borrowing a friend's account and their subscription ran out

So your mileage will vary. I personally really like digging into technical stuff, so Nielson works for me, and Tsutsumi might work for you

Flay on
    edited February 2018
    Exercise 3 coming along, not sure how to take this one any further

Note that I did NOT paint the background, and a ref was provided for the reflection

0x2EZXX.jpg

Flay on
    Took a second stab at the first two exercises

lHM5UWU.jpg

pYb7R8W.jpg

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Dang dude! Looking good! (I have no real crit, so enjoy the ass pats :P )

edited March 2018
    Made an attempt at painting a bracelet, hated it:

ZBZP4Au.jpg

Tried again:

5E86Kxt.jpg

Flay on