As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flay's Flailings (NSFW/NSF56K)

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    New page!

Thanks guys! These are a lot of fun to work on, but I'm still really slow. Here's part 2:

04yEMKi.jpg

EDIT: Seems a bit small, I'll fix it later.

Flay on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Neat. Kinda like old fashion style tattoo style Zelda? I can dig it.

Cool, I wasn't sure if people were going to pick that up.

Here's the third!

diqeHGc.jpg

There might be a fourth coming, not sure yet.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The mask is the best. I feel like the king of the red lions could be stronger Hes got pretty hard angles in all his construction
    King_of_Red_Lions.png

Even if you went for a more flattened profile view, I think it would look stronger with that more dramatic C shape in is neck.

You're right, I feel like the wind-waker one is the weakest of the bunch.

I was trying to hint at those classic Sailor Jerry ship tattoos...

tottoos.jpg

But I don't think I pushed the perspective far enough.

edited August 2014
    Before I rework that wind-waker print I'm gonna try and see if I can get at least one more print out the door before the convention

WIP

RYbta7p.jpg

Flay on
    Almost done!

I'm still internally debating whether I should add more features to the background (ruins, gravestones, floating ribbon bits), or if I should leave it clean so that the maze reads better.

zBspNdL.jpg

• LazarusKingLazarusKing Registered User regular
    I like both, but I prefer that second version. The maze still reads perfectly fine.

Wonderful stuff!

I wouldn't complicate it more than you have in the latest one, it strikes a nice balance.

edited August 2014
    Tried to design a TF2 print today, but it didn't work out. Here's a WIP

PZNF5r6.png

Also a couple of master studies...

FZpaaId.jpg

uFnUeg7.jpg

And my first ever environment from imagination (about 1 hour). It's pretty bad, but I'm planning on getting a lot better over the next year, and I wanted to have something to gauge my progress against.

wRHr0MW.jpg

Flay on
    edited August 2014
    Been freelancing this week, so I've had less time to draw. Here's a WIP environment I was working on today

TlswU2Y.jpg

Flay on
    Update on this. I don't really know enough about lighting and shading to take this too much further.

o2njP98.jpg

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I actually think that means this would be a good piece to push that understanding of light and cast shadow.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    agreed, I'm seeing some great opportunities to really push some dramatic lighting and have some interesting bounce effects.

Have you tried Chico's technique of a blender mockup of the main elements?

No but that's a really good idea

Short of doing the 3D model, I'd suggest duplicating the line art into a handful of small thumbnails. Get like 6 copies of these all arranged on a canvas, amass some reference of how you may approximate the light may look, and just quickly play around trying different ways to acquire the right mood.

Also a good idea. I'm a bit wary of using 3D as a crutch without actually learning the theory behind it, plus thumbnails would probably be a lot faster to set up. Maybe I could try painting what I think is correct and then use a 3D model to check.

Anyway I've been doing some master studies in the meantime.

I planned to add colour to this first one, but compared to the original the values are way too light, so I'll need to adjust that.

U2wpjgY.jpg

Reference

I also started this one thinking that it looked relatively simple. I came away three hours later wondering how the hell anyone paints clouds ever.

JCzKKp3.jpg

Reference

edited September 2014
    I did bought the photoshop rendering tutorial from Ctrl Paint and did it. The actual lineart is supplied, but all the painting is done by me.

WMKzPkd.jpg

I learned a heap from this. Before my approach was to basically push pixels around until eeeeeeh it kind of looks right. Now I'm looking at objects around me and thinking about how I can break down the layers to make painting a lot easier.

Flay on
    And another (I actually drew the lineart for this one).

UwsxMq7.jpg

Trying to get in to vehicles now. This was heavily referenced, but not from the same angle.

qtZh6xI.jpg

edited September 2014
    A copy of one of Scott Robertson's drawings from his youtube channel. I'm trying to figure out what qualities my linework is missing, and also how to replicate markers and pens and brushes better in photoshop.

6y4pQQI.jpg

Flay on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Dude these studies are ballin. Damn.

edited September 2014
    Thanks man.

Planning out my next environment drawing, but I'm struggling with the lighting.

YhLTLuu.jpg

Flay on
    I've gotta catch up on the backlog of stuff I haven't posted.

I'm slowly marching onwards on my goal to become a concept artist. Here's a... hat?

uql916C.jpg

Its super blending into the tone of grey you chose for the background, you could probably bump up the contrast a bit.

Yeah, that was a poor choice.

Here's what I'm working on now. It started as a perspective exercise, and kinda got out of control.

PEdHKC3.jpg

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Oh, yes.

Oh, my yes.

Look at that perspective work.

Mmmm-hmmm!

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Niiice, except those ellipses at the bottom of the pillars are terrible. I know your pain though, ellipses should just go fuck themselves.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    it's true - ellipses are the worst.

They are the devil. You're right, I got frustrated trying to construct them and fudged it, but I haven't got enough perspective sense to feel when something's not right.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Drawing ellipses freehand is a pain in the ass. It's why big fancy sets of ellipse templates exist and why people sometimes use setups involving pins and string to help draw them.

vdNuhor.jpg
    FzF7A7n.jpg

ChicoBlue on
    edited October 2014
    Man, thanks again Chico! I've been trying to avoid using photoshop features too much, so that force myself to actually understand perspective theory, and so I'm not obsessing about being perfectly accurate, but I guess in this instance it couldn't hurt.

Updates have slowed down because I've started studying at an atelier in the city full time! I haven't made anything worth showing off yet, but hopefully I'll have some stuff to post soon.

Flay on
    edited October 2014
    Still plugging away at this

oJGW7SO.jpg

Flay on
    edited January 2015
    I'm going through the exercises posted on /r/ArtFundamentals. Lesson 1 isn't that interesting so I'll just post a sample, and you guys can check out the full album here.

p9Mzg2G.jpg

Flay on
    Interesting Reddit, I'm going to have to look through it more thoroughly but it looks like the exercises are balanced enough. I used to have to do these block exercises in highschool.

Are you planning to do all the lessons?

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Those are some pretty good instructionals.

Yeah it's a great resource. A lot of the exercises seem to correspond to the dynamic sketching and constructive anatomy classes on CGMA. You don't get the tutoring or the videos, but just having the exercises is a pretty good alternative.

I'm trying to work through all of the classes, but I'm bogged down with freelance work at the moment. I'll post some more (hopefully) on the weekend.

Another exercise, this time to draw 250 boxes.

A few sample pages...

YCUHWSn.jpg

z76kJNy.jpg

ZFeMDbN.jpg

And here's the full album

• OllieOllie Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Your studies are fascinating, dude.

It's funny how much I hated doing drawing exercises involving boxes and basic shapes in shadows in years past. Since I've started pushing myself back into art and getting more serious about it, reading critiques, studying other people's work, I've gained a certain appreciation for what I take granted as basic exercises. I need to start doing stuff like this more often for myself.

I've also never heard of Ctrl Paint and need to get on that shit. Do you have any more work to share about it, or some review on the courses?

Ollie on
    Cheers Ollie!

Ctrl Paint is mostly focused on digital painting, so it's only going to be helpful if that's what you're interested in. Definitely check out the free videos first to see if his teaching style clicks with you. The paid for videos are similar, but longer, more detailed, and focused on more specific topics. They won't give you a full artistic education, but they're excellent exercises if you just need some direction, or to build confidence. I learned a lot from the first basic photoshop rendering videos, but it is oriented more towards beginners.

And man, they're 10 bucks each. Just buy one and see if you like it!