As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] STALKER: Call of Pripyat - STALKER series overview

• Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yay new set! Yay mines! Yay our new Exosuit Zombie Overlords!

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Next time, remember to mind the mines.

:P

Seriously though, who puts a minefield right there next to a helipad in the Zone? Who has the time? The inclination? The resources?

If it's the military then they really are as dumb as the Stalkers say they are.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Next time, remember to mind the mines.

:P

Seriously though, who puts a minefield right there next to a helipad in the Zone? Who has the time? The inclination? The resources?

If it's the military then they really are as dumb as the Stalkers say they are.

It's explained in-game. The mines were there already, they landed in the safe area to protect the heli.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    But see, normally you place a minefield in such a manner as to keep an area accessible to friendlies and force enemies to bottleneck or risk dying horribly to explosives. You don't carpet an area in mines, cover it in three inches of dirt, and then make a crazy slalom course through said minefield.

What screwed me up there is in the other games, mines are always denoted with handy-dandy little white posts. This time around, little white posts were the markers for a safe path. But I actually like the change since it makes the minefield dangerous instead of something you can sprint through with little risk. Also unlike previous games, a single mine is pretty much certain death; you can't just sprint through and absorb the hits like before.

Unless you're an annoying flesh mutant that just won't die. Then you can apparently run through a minefield and get little more than minor skin irritation.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I never even noticed the white posts. I just aimed for the places it looked like mines had already exploded.

I thought the flesh beasts were funny, it's an amusing way to let you back out once you've cleared the field.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man NinjaSnarl, I hate to clutter up your LP thread, but did you do any voodoo to get your CoP working? I was wanting to play and catch up with you, but anytime I start the game, it does the little steam launch box, then it shows I'm in game, but nothing. No stutter of something starting, no blink, it just stays at my desktop. I wanna play CoP. :(

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    SoulGate wrote: »
    Man NinjaSnarl, I hate to clutter up your LP thread, but did you do any voodoo to get your CoP working? I was wanting to play and catch up with you, but anytime I start the game, it does the little steam launch box, then it shows I'm in game, but nothing. No stutter of something starting, no blink, it just stays at my desktop. I wanna play CoP. :(

Try alt-tabbing and clicking around some, it worked for me

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Darn. Launched the game, alt-tabbed, all it shows is a group chat I'm in, the main steam page, Firefox, and desktop. There's no sign the game has launched except for the task manager has it in the processes list and my steam saying I'm in-game. :(

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Darn. Launched the game, alt-tabbed, all it shows is a group chat I'm in, the main steam page, Firefox, and desktop. There's no sign the game has launched except for the task manager has it in the processes list and my steam saying I'm in-game. :(

Is it giving you an error message? Is your computer/graphics card a bit older?

Because I had something similar and THIS fixed it.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey where is the Stalker thread at or is this now the Stalker thread?

Basically I want to ask a question, where the hell do I sell shit in Call of Pripyat?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Basically I want to ask a question, where the hell do I sell shit in Call of Pripyat?

In the first zone, you sell to Beard or Owl. They're on a boat.

Also, here.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I see those kids, they won't even buy most of my stuff, and it shows them as having -- RU, does that mean unlimited?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I see those kids, they won't even buy most of my stuff, and it shows them as having -- RU, does that mean unlimited?

Is most of the stuff you're trying to sell less than 75% durability? They don't buy broken shit.

And to preemptively answer your question, it's rarely worth repairing stuff to sell it. If something is less than 75% durability, just drop it somewhere outside.

RU is short for Rubles. IE Russian currency.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The only problem I've had getting CoP to run was before I even started the LP. I was doing a test recording and FRAPS would crash the game, but that was a FRAPS issue (update fixed it).

I can start up CoP no problems as well as alt-tab out of it and have never had any issues with it not running. I really have no idea what might be the issue.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    excellent lets play Ninja, i''ve always wanted to play these games but my computer won't run them.

Garris on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Argh. That fix does nothing. It's not giving an error message. Technically the game doesn't even stop/start. My GPU is a GeForce 8800 GTX, proc is a 2.6 quad core, with 8 gigs of ram. Like I said, I go to start it, the steam's "Starting [game]" and it quickly goes away, the circle for reading memory appears beside the arrow for about 5 seconds, then disappears, with the only thing changed is now community says I'm in-game. Also, xray Engine shows up in running processes in task manager, it only is using 9 megs of RAM, which seems small. Maybe I'm a very unique case. :(

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Speaking of being awesome, here's a new set. I was gonna put it up tomorrow, but it was ready so I figured what the hell. No reason to let it just sit around.

Finally snag me an exosuit. It is a beast. In the span of about twenty minutes, I get something like triple the bullet resistance and an extra 30 kilos of carrying capacity. On the downside, I now have to hunt down those dumb calibration tools so I can get the sprint upgrade for the suit. On the other upside, I can carry loads of fun stuff; it's a nice little barrier to break through after spending so much time have to wonder about this or that weapon to keep for trade.

Also, bloodsuckers are chumps. Dumb chumps who run through water while invisible.

Set 10 - Funky mushroom artifact EDIT: Soulgate, next time you try running the game and it does that, you might try opening up a blank text file and hitting paste. You might get some extra info from that but I don't know for sure.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was talking with my brother, and we both agree that STALKER would be even better if they had Co-Op.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    EasilyAmusedEasilyAmused Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Argh. That fix does nothing. It's not giving an error message. Technically the game doesn't even stop/start. My GPU is a GeForce 8800 GTX, proc is a 2.6 quad core, with 8 gigs of ram. Like I said, I go to start it, the steam's "Starting [game]" and it quickly goes away, the circle for reading memory appears beside the arrow for about 5 seconds, then disappears, with the only thing changed is now community says I'm in-game. Also, xray Engine shows up in running processes in task manager, it only is using 9 megs of RAM, which seems small. Maybe I'm a very unique case. :([/QUOTE]

I don't have any solutions for you, but you aren't alone. I'm having the same problem on a notebook with a GeForce 9700. Apparently I now have 12 hours played, but that was with the x-ray engine running in task manager user under 10mb of ram. No idea what the problem is. Works on a laptop with a 9500m, though runs pretty poorly.

I am also enjoying the Let's Play, thanks Ninja. Managed to sell me on a game I can't run, and I still don't regret the purchase one bit.

EasilyAmused on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Argh. That fix does nothing. It's not giving an error message. Technically the game doesn't even stop/start. My GPU is a GeForce 8800 GTX, proc is a 2.6 quad core, with 8 gigs of ram. Like I said, I go to start it, the steam's "Starting [game]" and it quickly goes away, the circle for reading memory appears beside the arrow for about 5 seconds, then disappears, with the only thing changed is now community says I'm in-game. Also, xray Engine shows up in running processes in task manager, it only is using 9 megs of RAM, which seems small. Maybe I'm a very unique case. :(

Hmm...

Well, try here first.

Also word has it the game does not like xfire for some reason, are you running that?

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Hmm...

Well, try here first.

Also word has it the game does not like xfire for some reason, are you running that?

MuddBudd, thank you for that link. Turns out it was FRAPS keeping it from loading properly. thank you thank you thank you. Now to Stalk the zone while watching NinjaSnarl get stalked.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that drove me absolutely bonkers before I figured it out. Fortunately, CoP had been out for a while already and I just had to update FRAPS.

So how about that exosuit? It doesn't turn you into a nigh-invincible killing machine like in Clear Sky, but it does give you a decided advantage pretty much all-round. I think it's a good compromise; keeps you from getting murdered way too fast but still keeps things deadly. Doesn't hurt that I can carry a weapon for every situation instead of just hoping I don't get stuck in a bad situation with the wrong set of guns.

But those calibration tools had better only exist in Pripyat. If they were stashed in some little building in the other areas and I missed them, I would be very unhappy with all the walking I've had to do for missing them.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, that drove me absolutely bonkers before I figured it out. Fortunately, CoP had been out for a while already and I just had to update FRAPS.

So how about that exosuit? It doesn't turn you into a nigh-invincible killing machine like in Clear Sky, but it does give you a decided advantage pretty much all-round. I think it's a good compromise; keeps you from getting murdered way too fast but still keeps things deadly. Doesn't hurt that I can carry a weapon for every situation instead of just hoping I don't get stuck in a bad situation with the wrong set of guns.

But those calibration tools had better only exist in Pripyat. If they were stashed in some little building in the other areas and I missed them, I would be very unhappy with all the walking I've had to do for missing them.

Of the areas you've been in the LP so far, you have not missed anything super critical like tools. Knowing where the calibration tools are, I don't think you can miss them. You should be able to find at least one set. If you really seem like you can't find them, we'll drop a hint.

Without spoiling anything, (and unrelated to the tools), you should listen to the conversations in Zaton a bit. When characters say something more than "generic greeting and/or comment" out loud, it usually means a mission. Also, you should do some more exploring of the second zone.

And yes the exosuit is awesome. By the end of my game I had an assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, and a selection of other artifacts and weapons along with enough ammo to exterminate a medium-sized city, and I still had room left over.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lotsa bandit killing this time. The first time supposedly to clear up a debt (*cough* steal a shotgun *cough*) and the second time is just kill bandits on general principle for being jerks and kidnapping people. And that ventilation complex continues to fill me with rage; I'm fairly certain I've found the way in, but I just can't get it open. I think I know what has to happen with it, though.

I also venture into the Jupiter plant and pick up the trail of two converging story elements. Apparently, there's a series of clues to follow in order to even find a path to Pripyat (so I couldn't go there yet anyway) which involves running around the plant following a paper trail. The other is finally checking out the last accessible chopper in the region and finding out that all the crashed choppers were brought down by something other than incompetence. Apparently, they weren't brought down by emissions (they're shielded against them) and were in fact brought down by something new and mysterious. Which means, this being the Zone, something new and mysterious and lethal and I'll have to take care of it.

I also want to know who the hell trained these chopper pilots. Off the top of my head, the crashing choppers have been brought down in: a plateau with trees, the middle of a pond, A MINEFIELD, and directly through the roof of an abandoned plant. It takes special talent to wreck a chopper well enough to remain intact but badly enough to be almost inaccessible. Through the roof of the plant is a pretty impressive feat, though.

Set 11 - How to crash a chopper

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "This video is set to private."

:cry:

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    "This video is set to private."

:cry:

Jesus Snarl. Stop being silly and LOOK AT THE OPTIONS before you click them.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ya, as was said, video 1 of this set is private. An honest mistake, especially since the rest of the set is public.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Ya, as was said, video 1 of this set is private. An honest mistake, especially since the rest of the set is public.

Yay! He fixed it! Huzzah!

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Really likeing this Lets Play, the editing was a bit jarring at first but thats most likely due to my own, shall we say, limited expierience when it comes to LP's.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That shotgun is my personal favorite in the game, Ninja. I'm glad you got it. There are a few other places you can get them. They're amazing after upgrades.

Also take a close look at the assault rifles you picked up.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That shotgun is my personal favorite in the game, Ninja. I'm glad you got it. There are a few other places you can get them. They're amazing after upgrades.

Yeah, the Tundars are totally fun. Watch him stick with the boring and weak AK. At least upgrade to the TR301!

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TKane wrote: »

Yeah, the Tundars are totally fun. Watch him stick with the boring and weak AK. At least upgrade to the TR301!

One of those rifles is not like the others. One of them has a NAME.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

And he totally sold both! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

And he totally sold both! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

He's so screwed now. The game will be so shocked and pissed that he'll never see another one. Hah.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really think you should give the "Russian Internet" building another once over. Something about that place seems off considering it's not marked on the map.

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh noes, I sold Strelok's rifle! Oh. Wait. I totally just stashed it off-camera which is why it disappears from my inventory. Sorry to disappoint! I don't use it until the next set, though. In general, I don't tend to sell anything I only have one of even if it's a weapon I'll probably never use. Survival instinct. Also, you never know when some mission requires retrieving a given item. And due to how I record, I tend to not dwell much on anything I find in the field; I like to be in the safety of a camp before I take time to check things out in my inventory.

I actually have a good reason for not using the Tunder, though. The Vintar uses the same ammo, but that 9x39 ammo is tough to come by; I've never seen any enemies using a weapon with 9x39 ammo and the only place to buy is to go all the way back to Zaton and buy it. And I like Strelok's rifle more anyway, though I haven't started using it yet in the LP.

As for the videos being set to private initially, either people tried to view them instantly after I posted them or Youtube was glitched briefly. After I set them up, I was away from the internet for hours so I couldn't have accessed them even to fix them. Since they're okay now, I'm betting it was a Youtube issue.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's the reason I avoided the Tunders myself, but I believe you can upgrade them to use another type. Although I'm surprised you keep several automatic weapons on hand normally. Eventually I just upgraded to one of the larger guns and just stuck with it. (The IL 86 I believe) If I ever got to a point where I ran out of ammo, I'd just temporarily grab something from a fallen enemy.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    ogcam777ogcam777 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    End Game Spoiler
    blah blah blah stuff nevermind

Edited for Ninja's sanity :P

ogcam777 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like to be prepared. The pistol I carry is pretty much useless at this point, but I have one really powerful close-range weapon (huge shotgun), one really accurate close- and mid-range weapon (the Frasier), one really good mid- and long-range weapon (Strelok's rifle), one excellent extreme-range weapon (Vintar), and (after the next set) a grenade launcher for when I need explosives.

Mostly, me carrying so many guns is a response to being so limited in the other STALKER games. Aside from modding in ridiculous carry weights, I was always limited to a crappy first-slot pistol (or MP5, sometimes), an assault rifle to do all the heavy lifting, and a sniper rifle (when I could find one). Thanks to saving up for the exosuit, I can now have proper weapons with plenty of ammo. Plus, I think it makes the LP better when I can switch around between different weapons instead of killing nearly everything with the same rifle most of the time.

I also totally forbid end-game spoilers in this thread; they just sit there, mocking me. They hide things behind them which I want to know but can't read without spoiling the game. It's like a time-bomb for my brain.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Damnit, I can't wait to get my new "school" computer now, if only so I can start my own play-through of this game.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.