As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Beware the Ides of March!

• DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ugh fuck cadbury eggs. I must not eat any.

Oh god I love Cadbury eggs so much. I haven't let myself have one yet this season, but I will someday. Oh yes, I will.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I get a food boner for a good fat piece of cheesecake. :D

I have no problem denying it when I have a goal in mind, but that doesn't change the fact that I love it.
    Tomorrow is my cheat day. I'm eating some.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Food boners for me are induce by anything involving buffalo sauce. Specially wings and strips from them.

And so glad I don't drink that often since I had a bad (weight loss wise) last night. My drink of choice is white russians and I had a couple of those last night. The worst offender was the after drink. Had myself some Whataburger which broke my streak of no fast food and no meat for a couple of months.

Oh well, going for my run in a bit, just going to have to push myself a little harder.

Kyougu on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Retirement party at work.

Not only did I eat some junk, but I was still way too low on calories for the day.

Oh, and welcome to 200s, Vagrant.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Let me get in on this.

Name: Taranis (Taranis)
    Height: 5'9"
    Current weight: 203
    Target BMI: 10% (or less)

I really don't care about my weight, I just want to improve my appearance.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Signed up for a year membership and my rock climbing club and picking up some climbing shoes this weekend. That means that I'll not only own actual running shoes now BUT also rock climbing shoes. Still boogles my mind. :P

Also now running 18 miles per week (With my max being 4.5 at a given day). Pushing for an even 20 a week and be able to run 6 miles by the end of March at the latest.

I kinda stopped obsessing about my weight so much right now (167) mainly because I feel so damn good. Best shape in my life, doing stuff I would have never imagined I could do, etc.

Once you start seriously rock climbing you will become fucking ridiculous. I have never heard of a faster way to lose weight and gain muscle.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Taranis wrote: »
    Let me get in on this.

Name: Taranis (Taranis)
    Height: 5'9"
    Current weight: 203
    Target BMI: 10% (or less)

I really don't care about my weight, I just want to improve my appearance.

Glad you are working on this, and don't want to discourage you, but <10% body fat (which I assume you mean instead of BMI, which is a useless number) is pretty hard and will take you a while to achieve. Just don't expect to do it overnight.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Glad you are working on this, and don't want to discourage you, but <10% body fat (which I assume you mean instead of BMI, which is a useless number) is pretty hard and will take you a while to achieve. Just don't expect to do it overnight.

You're right, I thought they were the same thing.

I've had <10% body fat before, but that was 3 years ago (and I was 30lbs lighter). I'm still somewhat confident that I should be able to achieve my goal by the end of June, but I definitely realize that it may take longer.

Edit: So apparently my brother (who has a degree in sports medicine), thinks it will take much longer for me to get to my desired body fat percentage. Dammit.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ran a 5 mile outdoor trail today with a coworker, stopping at every bench to hit some pushups and dips. Tried bailing on the whole event, which led to him calling me and spending 5 minutes telling me to man up, more or less. Glad I did.

CangoFett on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Depends on your current BF%, of course, but sub-10% is well-defined ab territory. It's hard to get to and hard to maintain. You have to be very strict with your diet most of the time.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reached my first goal today.

10 pounds gone. Hurray

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh god. I just woke up from the worst dream.

I was at some kind of dinner party, and Alton Brown served me this huge plate of barbecued chicken. Following that, Giada De Laurentiis brought out like 20 kinds of bread, one of which was stuffed with italian meatballs.

I ate so much in that dream. Woke up drooling and on the verge of crying (I had eaten so much in the dream that I was completely disgusted with myself).

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    grats monkey!

skettios on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Reached my first goal today.

10 pounds gone. Hurray

Grats dude!

I'm 2 pounds from my mid-goal of 185. I decided that I wouldn't shave until I hit that, and it will be really nice to shave this terrible beard I've been growing. I'm hoping to be less scruffy by next weekend.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks guys. I hope that next week will be another milestone of escaping the bmi level of obesity into a more healthy overweight classification. Fingers crossed

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Oh god. I just woke up from the worst dream.

I was at some kind of dinner party, and Alton Brown served me this huge plate of barbecued chicken. Following that, Giada De Laurentiis brought out like 20 kinds of bread, one of which was stuffed with italian meatballs.

I ate so much in that dream. Woke up drooling and on the verge of crying (I had eaten so much in the dream that I was completely disgusted with myself).
    I dreamed my attic was full of coins. Only it was those chocolate coins. And they had been hidden somewhere. It was weird.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anybody here have "teh asthmas"? Specifically, exercise-induced asthma?

Related Question:
    I don't have it so bad that I need an inhaler...I hate taking inhalers, because they make my heart race and make me really shaky. Usually all that I do is slow my walking/running pace when breathing gets difficult...and then speed up again after a rest.

My question is: how hard do I push myself? I usually do cardio for 45 minutes to an hour, because I'm taking rests so frequently, and figure that at 45-60 minutes, I may get the same benefits of the guy/gal next to me who's been running for 20 straight minutes. I have no idea.

I have no idea how much of my breathing is me being out of shape, or not used to it...and how much of it is asthma. A few years ago, when I was really pushing myself and going to the gym 3-5 times a week, 1.5-2 hrs each time, weights and cardio....at max, after about 4 months, I was able to run for 5 straight minutes without stopping due to breathing issues. I figure a healthy, non-asthmatic person would be able to run for much longer after that, but I have no idea how much longer. So, basically, I'm not sure if "pushing myself" would just mean "staying with cardio longer", or what.

I have to move this week...but once that's done, I'm planning on heading back to the gym and kickin' my own ass. I consider myself relatively healthy aside from the asthma. I'm not overweight technically (girly mags would say different, I'm sure), I suppose I'm average, but I'd like to slim down a bit and be more active and athletic. I don't really care how much weight I lose, as long as I look better by losing fat and gaining muscle. I was once 125 due to summertime exercise + 2 weeks of stomach illnesses back to back, and would like to get back down to around that number, but healthily. I'm kinda curvy, so I'm comfortable with a little extra weight for my height. So!

Height: 5' 4"
    Current: 140
    Goal: 125-ish

My eating habits are kind of a butt, currently. I try to eat healthily, but my food budget and amount of laziness in preparing and cleaning up from meals is......something that needs to be improved upon. It's not horrible (no soda, very few sweets, no fast food, nothing very fattening), but it's not great (few veggies, lots of wheat-based carbs). Here's to improving upon it!

[edit] Also, wow...Sparkpeople is great! I just signed up for it...this is exactly the kind of thing I'd been looking for, but all I found were paysites. Wahoo!

NightDragon on
  • RinzlerRinzler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What the hell, I'll jump in.

Height: 6'1
    Current weight: 211
    Target weight: 180

Rinzler on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anybody here have "teh asthmas"? Specifically, exercise-induced asthma?

Related Question:
    I don't have it so bad that I need an inhaler...I hate taking inhalers, because they make my heart race and make me really shaky. Usually all that I do is slow my walking/running pace when breathing gets difficult...and then speed up again after a rest.

My question is: how hard do I push myself? I usually do cardio for 45 minutes to an hour, because I'm taking rests so frequently, and figure that at 45-60 minutes, I may get the same benefits of the guy/gal next to me who's been running for 20 straight minutes. I have no idea.

I have no idea how much of my breathing is me being out of shape, or not used to it...and how much of it is asthma. A few years ago, when I was really pushing myself and going to the gym 3-5 times a week, 1.5-2 hrs each time, weights and cardio....at max, after about 4 months, I was able to run for 5 straight minutes without stopping due to breathing issues. I figure a healthy, non-asthmatic person would be able to run for much longer after that, but I have no idea how much longer. So, basically, I'm not sure if "pushing myself" would just mean "staying with cardio longer", or what.

I have to move this week...but once that's done, I'm planning on heading back to the gym and kickin' my own ass. I consider myself relatively healthy aside from the asthma. I'm not overweight technically (girly mags would say different, I'm sure), I suppose I'm average, but I'd like to slim down a bit and be more active and athletic. I don't really care how much weight I lose, as long as I look better by losing fat and gaining muscle. I was once 125 due to summertime exercise + 2 weeks of stomach illnesses back to back, and would like to get back down to around that number, but healthily. I'm kinda curvy, so I'm comfortable with a little extra weight for my height. So!

Height: 5' 4"
    Current: 140
    Goal: 125-ish

My eating habits are kind of a butt, currently. I try to eat healthily, but my food budget and amount of laziness in preparing and cleaning up from meals is......something that needs to be improved upon. It's not horrible (no soda, very few sweets, no fast food, nothing very fattening), but it's not great (few veggies, lots of wheat-based carbs). Here's to improving upon it!

[edit] Also, wow...Sparkpeople is great! I just signed up for it...this is exactly the kind of thing I'd been looking for, but all I found were paysites. Wahoo!

You should probably see a doctor and get a decent opinion on that, is seems like pretty heavy asthma to me. With your starting weight and height and only being able to run for 5 min after 4 months, there's something more to it. Shit, when I decided that I should start running from not ever having done any exercise in my entire life, I could still run for a good half an hour before the first quick stop.

It's been a while since I looked into asthma but I don't think you can make it worse by inducing it though, probably the other way around. But still, see a professional and get some decent meds.

Movitz on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not usually the "go to the doctor" guy, but go talk to your doctor about the asthma. There might be simple things they can do that will make a ton of difference. I take Singulair and, besides the $35 co-pay, it doesn't have any negative effects on me. When I've not had access to it doing any type of strenuous cardio made me feel like a 4 pack a day smoker working out in a gym that was on fire.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
    edited February 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Signed up for a year membership and my rock climbing club and picking up some climbing shoes this weekend. That means that I'll not only own actual running shoes now BUT also rock climbing shoes. Still boogles my mind. :P

Also now running 18 miles per week (With my max being 4.5 at a given day). Pushing for an even 20 a week and be able to run 6 miles by the end of March at the latest.

I kinda stopped obsessing about my weight so much right now (167) mainly because I feel so damn good. Best shape in my life, doing stuff I would have never imagined I could do, etc.

Once you start seriously rock climbing you will become fucking ridiculous. I have never heard of a faster way to lose weight and gain muscle.

That's awesome to hear, since I'll probably be replacing two days of the gym with Rock Climbing days. I was a bit worried too since I been reading mixed things about how good rock climbing is towards weight loss.

Kyougu on
  • JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm all up in on this.

2 months ago I was at 242.
    I made a diet change and get down to 232.
    I started doing WiiActive 30 day challenge and am in my last week of it and am measuring in at 228 most mornings.
    Picking up a weight bench on the cheap from a co-worker who doesn't want it anymore... 10$ with all the weights and bars.
    Ambition: 205 by the end of the summer.

Current stats:
    Male, 31 years young
    Office job, on my ass most of the day
    Workout on a 2 day on 1 day off schedule as per WiiActive
    5'9" tall, broad shouldered.
    228 this mornings weigh in.

Do we post meal plans for critique? Pre and post pictures? I want in on this challenge!

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sub 200 for the first time in years!

mrt144 on
    edited February 2011
    mrt144 wrote: »

You are living my dream right about now. I haven't been south of 200 in about 10 years (and I'm only 25...son of a bitch :lol:).

You are my inspiration. <3

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited February 2011

You are living my dream right about now. I haven't been south of 200 in about 10 years (and I'm only 25...son of a bitch :lol:).

Im fucking inspired right now. I have my bachelor party coming up this weekend which means i'll probably put some back on, but I'm also snowboarding for 2 days so who knows. My boys might catch me doing body weight exercises if i can squeeze those in during all the festivities.

I just want to hit the fucking gym right now and I still have 7 hours left of work.

mrt144 on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i was once diagnosed with exercise induced asthma

i got in inhaler long ago and didnt use it much

hm, well, i should maybe see a doc about that seeing as i still have symptoms

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited February 2011

Im fucking inspired right now. I have my bachelor party coming up this weekend which means i'll probably put some back on, but I'm also snowboarding for 2 days so who knows. My boys might catch me doing body weight exercises if i can squeeze those in during all the festivities.

I just want to hit the fucking gym right now and I still have 7 hours left of work.

That's how I feel. I get off work in about 3 hours and I'm immediately heading to a pool to swim for at least half a mile. Probably more because I'm feeling so good today.

Keep it up, broseph.

ChillyWilly on
    edited February 2011
    I think that's one of the key points in weight loss: When you stop dreading going to the gym and actually enjoy your workouts.

For a while I was worried what would happen when I met my weight loss goal, worrying that I would stop excercising. I now reached the point where I couldn't imagine NOT going to the gym at least 5 times a week.

Kyougu on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jaded wrote: »
    I'm all up in on this.

2 months ago I was at 242.
    I made a diet change and get down to 232.
    I started doing WiiActive 30 day challenge and am in my last week of it and am measuring in at 228 most mornings.
    Picking up a weight bench on the cheap from a co-worker who doesn't want it anymore... 10$ with all the weights and bars.
    Ambition: 205 by the end of the summer.

Current stats:
    Male, 31 years young
    Office job, on my ass most of the day
    Workout on a 2 day on 1 day off schedule as per WiiActive
    5'9" tall, broad shouldered.
    228 this mornings weigh in.

Do we post meal plans for critique? Pre and post pictures? I want in on this challenge!

Welcome! Post whatever you want and you're sure to get a response from someone (or everyone in the case of critiquing your meal plans).

Halibut on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alright, so the normal walk that I've been doing here is starting to get a bit easier, I can make it all the way around the 1.5km loop that I have without stopping. which is a pretty big deal for me, cause the first time I walked it, I had to stop at every fraking lamp post just to try and catch my breath.

my new yoga mat arrived today, now I wait for the dvd that I ordered and I can start doing yoga in the mornings. Also going to be using the mat as a workout cushion for crunches and things, as my workout room is actually the spa room and slatted teak floors HURT the lower back when crunching.

still have yet to buy a scale. I'm looking for a digital scale, because at the moment, I am still too fat to read an analog scale easily.

lonelyahava on
  • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dont want in on this challenge, not really, Im not one to measure numbers. I'm not particularly happy with my weight, but I care more about feeling healthy than weighing little and looking acceptably small (ok no, thats a lie, i want to look good too but im not gonna let my bmi depress me as its a crock of shit) I'm 5"7 and 190. I suppose i've always been pretty naturally muscular, and i did some sport in school which i enjoyed. I Had a job as a waitress for a while, which didnt seem to do much to make me lose weight but when i STOPPED I gained about 20 lbs over the subsequent two years.

but I started going to the gym last week and i think I am addicted. I started off every other day, did a week, and then i got to tonight and I was itching to go to the gym again. SO I DID

What pleases me is that even though i have literally been sitting on my arse for two years, the beginners workout i got given, even with extra cardio thrown in, seems too easy for me. I feel tired after but never achey at all, and Im coping brilliantly even after a week. Is it too early to tell how much its affecting me?

whats a good amount of times to go to the gym? what the correct ratio to weight training and cardio? should they both be done on the same day? halp halp!

only side effects im noticing is i feel less lathargic overall and if you put a plate of pasta in front of me i'll want three. so im avoiding pasta.

edit: oh, i dont really know what to do about my diet. bread bloats me and gives me heartburn and I go through phases of avoiding it, so im thinking low carb might be a nice idea, but im scurred to do a proper full on restrictive diet. I just want to change my eating habits slowly.

p.s p.s If you ladies need a good sports bra

I HIGHLY recommend the Shock absorber Run model. Its a dream. The rest of me bounces more than the boobs.

apricotmuffins on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Movitz wrote: »
    You should probably see a doctor and get a decent opinion on that, is seems like pretty heavy asthma to me. With your starting weight and height and only being able to run for 5 min after 4 months, there's something more to it. Shit, when I decided that I should start running from not ever having done any exercise in my entire life, I could still run for a good half an hour before the first quick stop.

It's been a while since I looked into asthma but I don't think you can make it worse by inducing it though, probably the other way around. But still, see a professional and get some decent meds.

I really don't feel like it's "heavy asthma" at all - I just push myself really hard with cardio, and take a minute or two to calm down if my lungs start to complain. I really don't think there's any other underlying issue...aside from that, I'm healthy. I'd imagine it differs per person (in terms of length of running times, if you're an exercise-induced asthmatic), but I suppose I could ask my doctor what he thinks. Chances are that's just what exercise-induced asthma is, though...especially without asthma meds, as during that time I wasn't taking any at all. I haven't had to for probably 10+ years, but...I'll ask the doc.
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    I'm not usually the "go to the doctor" guy, but go talk to your doctor about the asthma. There might be simple things they can do that will make a ton of difference. I take Singulair and, besides the $35 co-pay, it doesn't have any negative effects on me. When I've not had access to it doing any type of strenuous cardio made me feel like a 4 pack a day smoker working out in a gym that was on fire.

Oh yeah - somebody suggested Singulair (and similar) to me. I think I might try it out once my budget allows for it...I hate taking meds unless they're absolutely necessary, but...my main issue with the inhalers is the heart rate increase and shakiness, both of which just make me super nervous and uncomfortable - especially while trying to exercise. If I can avoid that and work out like a regular human being, that would be great! haha :P

[edit] Also, how do you guys deal with hunger? I'm trying to cut out higher calorie foods (bready/carby things), and replace them with lower calorie foods (veggies and fruits), so I can eat more and still feel satisfied. That about right? I am horribly bad at dealing with hunger.

NightDragon on
    edited March 2011
    I feel like most of my "hunger" is my whiny body just wanting a snack. If I wait for half an hour or so it goes away, if it doesn't and I really am hungry I eat a (crisp bread) with cottege cheese on it to keep me sane until dinner. Works like a charm.

And with time you will get better at separating the real hunger from the blood sugar induced snack craving that you can just stave off with an apple.

Also, carrots are God's gift to man.

Movitz on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've dropped 9 pounds! Took 3 weeks, I cut any and all sugar based foods except fruit juice but I've been stable at 180 pounds for over a week now and I want to drop an extra 9. I think I'm going a bit overboard now (one solid meal a day and two protein shakes) but I want to reach my target weight.

I'm also starting kickboxing on Thursday and I will start jogging over the weekend. I figure I'll keep up the no sugar diet for 3 months.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think one of the things that has kept me sane while working on losing weight has been the fact that I've continued to eat my normal foods, I'm just watching my intake and eating a whole lot less of it. I made meatloaf and mash potatoes for dinner last night. I used lean ground beef rather than the cheaper, fat filled meats, sliced the entire thing up into measured portions after it was done cooking rather than just grabbing giant chunks as I got hungry, and ate a measured amount of mash potatoes rather than filling the rest of my plate.

I woke up this morning and weighed myself, and I had still lost a few tenths of a pound from yesterday to today. It makes me feel so much better to know that if I control the amount, I can still eat the foods I love.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
    edited March 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I think one of the things that has kept me sane while working on losing weight has been the fact that I've continued to eat my normal foods, I'm just watching my intake and eating a whole lot less of it. I made meatloaf and mash potatoes for dinner last night. I used lean ground beef rather than the cheaper, fat filled meats, sliced the entire thing up into measured portions after it was done cooking rather than just grabbing giant chunks as I got hungry, and ate a measured amount of mash potatoes rather than filling the rest of my plate.

I woke up this morning and weighed myself, and I had still lost a few tenths of a pound from yesterday to today. It makes me feel so much better to know that if I control the amount, I can still eat the foods I love.

Yeah, I'm going for the "stop living like a pig"-diet myself. No more drinks on weekdays, portion control, healthy snacks (apples instead of a cheese sandwich) and hitting the gym more often.

I also today decided that weighing isn't for me. I fluctuate way to much over the course of one day. Yesterday I went up 7 pounds (153 to 160) and I didn't even eat more than usual. 4 of those were probably water cause I drink loads of water/coffee during the day but still O_o.

"A few tenths of a pound" is literally half a glass of water. I think the OP says weekly weigh-ins are good, and that is because you vary to much on the short term. I think I'll just hide my scale for a month or so.

Movitz on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, I'm going for the "stop living like a pig"-diet myself. No more drinks on weekdays, portion control, healthy snacks (apples instead of a cheese sandwich) and hitting the gym more often.

I also today decided that weighing isn't for me. I fluctuate way to much over the course of one day. Yesterday I went up 7 pounds (153 to 160) and I didn't even eat more than usual. 4 of those were probably water cause I drink loads of water/coffee during the day but still O_o.

"A few tenths of a pound" is literally half a glass of water. I think the OP says weekly weigh-ins are good, and that is because you vary to much on the short term. I think I'll just hide my scale for a month or so.

Gaining or losing 7 pounds is kind of crazy. Did you weigh yourself at the same time each day, or at different times? When I started my diet, I weighed myself twice a day because I wanted to see how weight fluctuated. I found I would normally put on between 2lbs and 3lbs over the course of a day, and then lose that plus an extra 2/10ths to 4/10ths of a pound while sleeping. In the end, I decided I would weigh myself each morning, but I only record my weight on Saturday mornings and determine how well I did over the course of a whole week.

I do daily weigh ins in order to see how my diet is working. I weigh myself once a day at the same time each day (I get up, use the bathroom, then weigh myself) so I can see how my diet is affected over 24 hours. I also do it to make sure I don't lose too much weight in one week. Everything I've read says you don't want to lose more than 2.5lbs a week, as doing so will eventually cause a yo-yo effect where you will put all of that weight back on very easily. I hate dealing with decimal places, so I want to keep myself steady at losing 2lbs a week. Last week I lost three pounds between Saturday and Tuesday. I decided that was too rapid a loss of weight and slightly increased my food in for the rest of the week so that I wouldn't lose any more weight. I ended up losing about 2.5lbs, so it worked out.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    so

back on the wagon here

managed to drop down to around 170 before doing a low-carb but highish-fat sort of atkins thing

since then i got lazy and am now back up above 180. scale yesterday said 185, which on a 6'1" dude is just a hair short of "overweight." worse, i just look gross with my belly all poking out and actually being visible under my clothes. this is a new and depressing thing for me.

so i am trying out an aggressice protein-saving modified fast until paxeast. hopefully i can drop down to the point where i don't look like a gross whale in a couple of weeks.

using the McDonald guidelines for my weight and height, he recommends 135g protein/ day and as little carbs & fats as i can manage. gonna do fish, chicken breast, hells of greens.

so my question is this: McDonald in his booklet basically recommends "as many veggies as you want to eat except for really starchy ones". he specifically mentions cucumber and celery as "free foods" and i assume also things like broccoli, lettuce, cabbage, spinach, greens. what about red onion, tomato, etc?

i want to make a tomato/ cucumber/ onion salad with lemon juice and red wine vinegar. is this gonna knock me out of ketosis if i eat moderate amounts of it?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited March 2011

Gaining or losing 7 pounds is kind of crazy. Did you weigh yourself at the same time each day, or at different times? When I started my diet, I weighed myself twice a day because I wanted to see how weight fluctuated. I found I would normally put on between 2lbs and 3lbs over the course of a day, and then lose that plus an extra 2/10ths to 4/10ths of a pound while sleeping. In the end, I decided I would weigh myself each morning, but I only record my weight on Saturday mornings and determine how well I did over the course of a whole week.

I do daily weigh ins in order to see how my diet is working. I weigh myself once a day at the same time each day (I get up, use the bathroom, then weigh myself) so I can see how my diet is affected over 24 hours. I also do it to make sure I don't lose too much weight in one week. Everything I've read says you don't want to lose more than 2.5lbs a week, as doing so will eventually cause a yo-yo effect where you will put all of that weight back on very easily. I hate dealing with decimal places, so I want to keep myself steady at losing 2lbs a week. Last week I lost three pounds between Saturday and Tuesday. I decided that was too rapid a loss of weight and slightly increased my food in for the rest of the week so that I wouldn't lose any more weight. I ended up losing about 2.5lbs, so it worked out.

No, this was the most extreme example I've seen on myself ever, I just had it in my head because it was yesterday. :)

Normally I increase maybe 4 lbs a from the morning to the evening. What happened yesterday was that I didn't eat much on Sunday and I weighed in on Monday evening after dinner and after the gym. I drink like 3 lbs of water there.

Movitz on
    edited March 2011

This is kind of what we've been doing at my place. We're really trying to cut down on carbs etc during dinner because it's so effing easy to pile them on the plate and they taste good. We've also gone from about 20-30 drinks a week to 3-4 drinks a week. But other than we're eating the same amount of veggies, same amount of meat, and consuming protein shakes twice a day.

mrt144 on