As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Beware the Ides of March!

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kyougu, that's awesome!
    I'm with Monkey, barely recognize you! :D
    :^:

I get pretty fed up with my glasses during workouts but I'm too wimpy for contacts

Pictures of progress are nice. Wish I had taken like actual document-style pics.
    At home, there's a few pics of me from high school when I was ~40 pounds heavier. Pretty motivating

skettios on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lately I've been feeling sick (nauseous and light headed) after I get home from a cardio session. I have no idea what is causing this. I drink plenty of water.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think I've linked to my blog post with pics before, but I haven't actually posted the pics here. The before pictures are about 266 lbs (6'4"), and the after pictures are at 206 lbs. I currently weigh about 20 lbs less than that, but I'm waiting to take more pics until I gain a little muscle.

Spoilered for underwear pics (the linked blog post has bigger images, if you want more resolutions, or if you are a creepy stalker).

Before/After:
    Front body:
    body-front-before.jpgbody-front-after.jpg
    Side body:
    body-side-before.jpgbody-side-after.jpg
    Front face:
    face-front-before.jpgface-front-after.jpg
    Side face:
    face-side-before.jpgface-side-after.jpg

Halibut on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, I finally figured out why I am enjoying the StrongLifts program so much when all of my previous weight lifting attempts ended in disinterest or hatred. It's because I'm not working out out until failure on like 12 different exercises 3 times a week.

Now when I get done, I'm super pumped. I feel like I have more energy than before the workout. For my post-workout meal I'm like a culinary Shiva, god of delicious destruction. I just feel like a badass.

Halibut on
    edited March 2011
    Taranis wrote: »
    Lately I've been feeling sick (nauseous and light headed) after I get home from a cardio session. I have no idea what is causing this. I drink plenty of water.

When and what have you been eating around that time?

skettios on
    edited March 2011
    :^: gw halibut!

skettios on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow. Kyougu and Halibut. You both look fantastic.

Alright. that's it. Now I'm serious. (I was serious before, but now. rawr.)

Very well. I shall look into investing in that crosstrainer or something similar next paycheck. and then, huzah!

we went grocery shopping last night. spent most of our money on veggies and on meats. this makes me happy. mmm meat.

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2011
    skettios wrote: »

I've been eating the same thing every day for the past month.

Meal 1:
    Bowl of cereal
    2 Eggs
    Banana

Meal 2:
    Protein Shake
    Cup of Yogurt/Apple

Meal 3:
    Turkey/Chicken Sandwich

Meal 4:
    Protein Shake
    Apple/Yogurt

Meal 5:
    2 Eggs
    Yogurt/Apple/Glass of milk

I usually do cardio after meal 2, or after meal 4. It depends on what else I am doing that day.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Situation is this. During the last year, I lost 80 pounds of fat in five months. To do this, I changed my diet, exercised 12 hours a week, and so on. After that, I have been been pretty much stuck at 280 pounds, even though I exercise on daily basis, do weightlifting, and have damn good cardio for my weight group. Well, this is going change next monday. I'm starting rather extreme exercise regime, which goes pretty much like this:

MON/WED/FRI

Morning, before breakfast
    - 20 minutes of light cardio
    - 200 traditional crunches, 60 Bent Leg Knee Raises, 40 pulse-ups, with 8 pound weight placed on stomach

Noon
    - 25 minutes of weight lifting exercise with 90 pound dumbells
    * 5 different moves (lunges, deadlifts, backward lunges, swings, chest presses)
    * I do each exercise for 30 seconds, do so many repetitions as possible during the limit, and then have 30 second break and switch to next one.
    * I repeat every move for 6 times, resulting in 25 minute exercise.
    - 200 traditional crunches, 60 Bent Leg Knee Raises, 40 pulse-ups, with 8 pound weight placed on stomach
    - 20 push-ups

Evening
    - 2.5 mile walk with 45 pound load on backpack.

TUE/THU
    - 45 minutes of swimming
    - 45 minutes of light cardio

SAT/SUN
    - REST!

Yeah, I know it looks kind of extreme, but I do have far, far better cardio than people understand. And I do know how to eat properly, and I have some proper supplements to support muscle growth and burn fat. Goal is to lose at least 35 pounds before summer eve.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited March 2011
    That is a lot of ab exercises.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just keep in mind you can't target areas for fat loss, so a balanced workout is better.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2011
    More cardio is always the answer.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited March 2011

I don't know that I agree. Cardio is good, but it's not as efficient at burning calories as lifting weights.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just keep in mind you can't target areas for fat loss, so a balanced workout is better.

Yup. But these should cover all major muscle groups relatively well. Abs get naturally most punishment, but they can take it.
    I don't know that I agree. Cardio is good, but it's not as efficient at burning calories as lifting weights.

Yeah. For each pound of muscle you gain, you burn 50 calories more just to maintain that mass. I did lots of cardio back then, but I like doing weights more.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited March 2011

Cardio is better for burning fat though.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is one of those weeks where the scale didn't move at all. Which is disappointing because I kicked butt this week in terms of exercise. Same thing happened the second week of February so if it is like last month the next two weeks should be really good.

If next week goes poorly then I'll switch up exercises and eating

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    elkatas wrote: »

Yup. But these should cover all major muscle groups relatively well. Abs get naturally most punishment, but they can take it.

Yeah. For each pound of muscle you gain, you burn 50 calories more just to maintain that mass. I did lots of cardio back then, but I like doing weights more.

Can someone point me to some studies that actually measure that? I have seen people say muscle burns between an extra 20 calories (for 5 pounds of fat -> 5 pounds of muscle, and I've heard fat is like 3 calories/lb so something like 7 calories per muscle gained) to 100 calories per pound of muscle you build.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    edited March 2011

Meal 1:
    Bowl of cereal
    2 Eggs
    Banana

Meal 2:
    Protein Shake
    Cup of Yogurt/Apple

Meal 3:
    Turkey/Chicken Sandwich

Meal 4:
    Protein Shake
    Apple/Yogurt

Meal 5:
    2 Eggs

I usually do cardio after meal 2, or after meal 4. It depends on what else I am doing that day.

huh
    my initial thought was that you weren't eating close enough to your workout, but it looks like that's not the case. I don't know why you're getting sick. If it's like a hungry-nausea then maybe you should eat something a bit more solid before workout? I am not sure.

Anyone else have ideas?

skettios on
    edited March 2011
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    This is one of those weeks where the scale didn't move at all. Which is disappointing because I kicked butt this week in terms of exercise. Same thing happened the second week of February so if it is like last month the next two weeks should be really good.

How do you feel physically?
    Could be fat -> muscle

skettios on
  • apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Meal 1:
    Bowl of cereal
    2 Eggs
    Banana

Meal 2:
    Protein Shake
    Cup of Yogurt/Apple

Meal 3:
    Turkey/Chicken Sandwich

Meal 4:
    Protein Shake
    Apple/Yogurt

Meal 5:
    2 Eggs

huh
    my initial thought was that you weren't eating close enough to your workout, but it looks like that's not the case. I don't know why you're getting sick. If it's like a hungry-nausea then maybe you should eat something a bit more solid before workout? I am not sure.

Anyone else have ideas?

my immediate thought is to get some more vegetables in there. take a mulitvitamin at least.

edit: eating the same thing day in day out doesnt give you the nutrients your body needs. different foods contain different things. Im no nutritionist and im doing vague handwavey movements when i say 'things' but you get the jist, right? Vary your diet a bit more. ;)
    also: you might be experiencing low blood sugar afterwards. or something like that.

apricotmuffins on
    edited March 2011
    also, yeah, i meant to post that my upping my gym visits to 6 days a week has worked really well for me. Im still doing a beginners programme but im varying it a bit, doing some heavier weights (machines, i'm terrified of testosterone corner with the free weights. I know i shouldnt be but theres ALWAYS a really muscular sweaty guy there, or silly teenage boys) and some more cardio.

I discovered the interval training programme on the treadmill. I sweat buckets after im done but it feels really bloody good. yay!

apricotmuffins on
    edited March 2011
    3rd post in a row yay

How do you feel physically?
    Could be fat -> muscle

i've been going to the gym for 3/4 weeks now, i've seen no change in my weight but i've lost over an inch from my waist and my clothes fit better.

From the reading up ive done, you could be losing some fat but gaining some muscle. It feels like you are plateauing but more muscle means a faster metabolism which means a higher BMR and easier weight loss.

apricotmuffins on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I hope it's muscle. I haven't been doing weightlifting but it could all be in the legs from running/biking/dancing(?)

I feel good and my pants are certainly shrinking and shirts fit better so I'm not freaking out or complaining. Just that if I do plateau I'll know to add in weightlifting and/or change up the carb/protein/fat ratio.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited March 2011

my immediate thought is to get some more vegetables in there. take a mulitvitamin at least.

edit: eating the same thing day in day out doesnt give you the nutrients your body needs. different foods contain different things. Im no nutritionist and im doing vague handwavey movements when i say 'things' but you get the jist, right? Vary your diet a bit more. ;)
    also: you might be experiencing low blood sugar afterwards. or something like that.

I'm taking a multivitamin (Mega Men Sport).

I usually spend enough time in the gym during my cardio session that it's time for me to eat as soon as I get home. I still feel nauseous for a few hours after I eat though, and I'm not even sure what low blood sugar feels like.

If it was due to low blood sugar, how long should it take for food to make me feel better?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I hope it's muscle. I haven't been doing weightlifting but it could all be in the legs from running/biking/dancing(?)

I feel good and my pants are certainly shrinking and shirts fit better so I'm not freaking out or complaining. Just that if I do plateau I'll know to add in weightlifting and/or change up the carb/protein/fat ratio.

You should lift weights anyway.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I'm in. At 210 currently, looking to get to 160, but I think I might set my initial goal to 180 and work in increments. Need to figure out some sort of plan of action, but really my biggest motivation right now is waking up in the morning and thinking to myself "Snake Plissken would be ashamed of me."

It's good to have role models right?

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, in 6 days on the PSMF I've dropped about 7 pounds, which I'm happy with, considering a general lack of sleep and a few days I'm not counting where I slipped a bit.

Also, I feel surprisingly good while on it. I was worried, after having been off of low-carb for 6 months, that my body would end up suffering through a ketogenic flu again, but apparently I didn't do enough damage to reset myself that far.

Went by the store the other day and picked up some bronkaid and nodoze to try a bit of an EC stack as well. This'll be my second day on it, and it'll be interesting to see how it works in the longer run.

I'm back down to 250 now, and my goal is to be at least 240 by April 4th when my Motorcycle safety course is. Which, at this rate, shouldn't be a problem.

One thing about PSMF though, is goddamn its tedious.

3 seven-ounce chicken breasts
    1 can of tuna
    2 half-cup servings of cottage cheese
    2 three-slice servings of deli turkey

That has been my diet thus far, and man, I've felt the absolute opposite of hungry all week. I fucking dread eating, and by the time I finish a meal of a chicken breast + tuna or something, I feel stuffed.

But I guess that's a good thing, given you don't get fat by hating the sight of food. :P

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My weigh in for this week doesn't count, sadly. I was under gastric distress and so my weight loss number would be inflated like woah to accomodate all that.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that doesn't sound good to me

as a human being who uses food to stay alive

but whatever works for you, I don't mean to sound critical, but I couldn't do that

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So Question:

Lately I found myself replacing my usual gym days with other physical activities. I'm now doing rock climbing (for about 3-4 hours) Mondays and Fridays and then I may be adding Tennis to my Wed nights (about 2-3 hours).

Is this wise? Is any physical activity good, or should I be making up some of the loss cardio and strenght excercises at my other days in the gym?

Kyougu on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So Question:

Lately I found myself replacing my usual gym days with other physical activities. I'm now doing rock climbing (for about 3-4 hours) Mondays and Fridays and then I may be adding Tennis to my Wed nights (about 2-3 hours).

Is this wise? Is any physical activity good, or should I be making up some of the loss cardio and strenght excercises at my other days in the gym?

its exercise

rock climbing for 3-4 hours is certainly a great workout

aint nothin wrong with that

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    rock climbing is supposed to be a GREAT full-body workout, i wouldn't worry about it.

having a movie theatre at my gym is a huge motivator; a huge screen in a darkened room with cardio machines. tonight on the big screen is pulp fiction!

retrovm on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    that doesn't sound good to me

as a human being who uses food to stay alive

but whatever works for you, I don't mean to sound critical, but I couldn't do that

I'm guessing this was directed at me?

If so, I'm not hungry in the slightest. Which is really kind of weird. But I feel totally fine. No fatigue, no headaches, no weakness, no nothing at all. I feel totally fine, other than being bored to shit with my food. :P

I was definitely not expecting to feel so okay on < 800 calories a day, that's for sure. Especially when I'm on my feet all day at work.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    That sounds fucking miserable. I'd rather have slower weight loss without being so damn restricted.

EDIT: I found a neglected pair of jeans in my drawer that fits me. They have never fit me before.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh yeah, I've been experiencing that myself lately. All the old jeans in the closet that didn't fit me a couple of years ago fit me just fine now. Even looking at pictures from last year, I don't have the same gut anymore, and my face looks slimmer now too. I’d love to see how well I’d go in touch rugby today compared to a few years ago. Running daily has increased my stamina like crazy.

I kind of feel like my weight loss has slowed down though. I need to work harder, because I'm not at where I want to be yet.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, it's the 15th of March, which means as of today I have officially been dieting for 2 months. During my weigh in this morning, I came in at 269. This is the first time I've been under 270 in probably two years. This whole diet thing is making me feel much better about myself.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    89kg! That's down from 95 in 8 weeks. I'm super happy and only have 3 more kgs to go. But I'm slowly going insane from the total lack of sugar D:

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gah - I'm down another chunk and wanna post my weigh in!!! :P

Yall on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lost 11 lbs this month!

Somehow. What the fuck.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited March 2011
    I forgot to weigh myself this morning, will try to remember tomorrow.

In other news: I made my running goal!!
    30 minutes straight 8-)
    Now I will try to up my distance by slowly increasing the speed I go.

I've also started using one of the machines. That leg push thingy. Doc said the reason my knees make noise and sometimes hurt is cause I need to strengthen the muscle around them. I guess something around there is loose, and it's actually kinda common in women my age.

skettios on