As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Child of Eden: Rez sequel. Turn on, tune in, lock on | Out now on 360, PS3 in Sept.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm just curious: What kind of space requirements are we talking about for Kinect usage in this game? Dance Central, I'd say, requires a lot of space due to side-stepping motions and the like. But most hand-based gestures aren't nearly as space demanding for the Kinect. Do you usually stay rooted to one place and use your hands to interact?

Also, I wasn't sure what to make of some comments. A lot of folks are saying this is the definitive Kinect game, one that makes best use of the tech, and is a better experience because of it. But then this morning Tycho commented that the serious player would opt for the controller and eschew the Kinect.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also, I wasn't sure what to make of some comments. A lot of folks are saying this is the definitive Kinect game, one that makes best use of the tech, and is a better experience because of it. But then this morning Tycho commented that the serious player would opt for the controller and eschew the Kinect.

i dont see how those two are mutually exclusive. if youre after serious leaderboard scores youre going to want to use a controller, but that doesnt mean it doesnt use the kinect well.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah, if you're the leaderboard topping type you'll want a controller for accuracy's sake

if you want to like, have fun and be immersed in it and get the full experience you'll want kinect

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every time Lumi prances around, I quote The Boondocks "tee hee hee, I'm pretty!" Lumi is creepy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    On the one hand, I'd be surprised if something this weird and abstract sells well and Ubisoft often overproduces, so I'd guess this would drop in price pretty quick.

On the other hand, I love me some Rez and I WANT THIS NOW.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why in the world is the PS3 version in Sep. :(

The giantbomb quicklook for this is hilarious btw.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-child-of-eden/17-4391/

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    On the one hand, I'd be surprised if something this weird and abstract sells well and Ubisoft often overproduces, so I'd guess this would drop in price pretty quick.

This is where I'm hoping the popularity of Kinect, coupled with the high praise for the game, mean that its sales will be higher than expected. I mean, they won't, but we can hope.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

cloudeagle wrote: »

If it's any indication, the GameStop that I picked this up from literally only got two copies. And the one I got was the gutted version. :P

I don't doubt that this will crater hard in terms of sales figures, but I was under the impression that Rez itself was a cult classic niche low-seller.
    I'm just curious: What kind of space requirements are we talking about for Kinect usage in this game? Dance Central, I'd say, requires a lot of space due to side-stepping motions and the like. But most hand-based gestures aren't nearly as space demanding for the Kinect. Do you usually stay rooted to one place and use your hands to interact?

You stay rooted in place, but you need to be far back enough for the system to see your whole body, or at least from your knees up. I was too far back when trying to play the game on my couch, but the Kinect didn't recognize me when I tried just sitting on my coffee table. I had to move the coffee table and finagle a bit to fine-tune a good spot to stand, but once I was in position, I stayed planted in place.

To your second point: I have yet to try it with a controller, but it's really not an exaggeration for me to say that playing Child of Eden with Kinect is really one of the most fresh, new experiences of gameplay I've ever had. The last time I felt that way was in the awestruck wonder that came over me when I played Guitar Hero 1 with the guitar controller for the very first time.

That said, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, so I'm not sure how much of it is due to the Kinect and how much of it is just due to the game. Really, "more Rez" by itself would be cause for celebration, and I don't think that the game would be lessened any by playing it with the controller. It would still be a known quantity, though; with Kinect, Child of Eden is pretty unparalleled. I don't know if it's worth the scratch just for Child of Eden (I got my Kinect as a gift, so paying $0 is pretty great!), but for the record, I also bought four GC bongo controllers just to play Donkey Konga.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Listen to Lunker re: Kinect.

Also, you can't just stand there like a statue and robotically move your hands to fire. Well, you can, but that's not very fun, is it? You have to get into an aggressive crouch position and make laser sounds with your mouth every time you fire your rockets.

It's just the way it needs to be played.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just watched the GiantBomb quick look for this.... I think my brain has been altered and I want more.

I guess I'll just have to wait until September though.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how they took the background story of Genki Rockets and merged it into the game. All it needs now is some delicious Pleather for Breakfast.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Was this paid for as a timed exclusive? Because if not, it's just stupid.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would assume that's a given what with the heavily touted kinect support.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I thought this was going to be 60$. It's actually 50$. Not bad for Rez 2.

This is a must have for a "has a Kinect" and "likes Rez" people. I'm shredding it up without a Kinect just fine. And controller/kinect users each get their own leaderboard!

Cantido on
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Was this paid for as a timed exclusive? Because if not, it's just stupid.

Miz said they started Move development for the game waaaay later than they did for the Kinect

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like how they took the background story of Genki Rockets and merged it into the game. All it needs now is some delicious Pleather for Breakfast.

I don't think Genki Rockets were involved with NMH? Aside from Heavenly Star being in Naomi's lab, of course.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So I think I finished the game today! I saw the credit roll and unlocked Hard mode and a bunch of other stuff. Still really love the game, but it was a tad disappointing that the final level wasn't nearly as epic as Area 5 of Rez. (Though really, few things could ever top Area 5, so I suppose that's a bit unfair of a metric.) It's definitely as short as Rez in terms of its overall start-to-finish, which I'm sure many people will dislike. I don't know if there's a Direct Assault mode in Child of Eden or not; I have one menu option left locked up to me.

Passion (level 4) is goddamned amazing and, based on my impressions from first runthrough of the game, the high point of the entire experience. There are a ton of Rez callbacks, the music is fantastic, the bosses/enemies are super-inventive and flipping between the right-hand and left-hand weapons feels incredible.

As far as I can tell, there are still only five levels/areas; the unlocked "Hope" area I got after the credit roll seems like more of a Lost Area bonus level, though it seems to be predominantly a score attack/last until you die kind of thing, as you continually get on-screen notices of reaching "Level 2," "Level 3" and so on. I 5-starred everything but the third area (Beauty), which has a pretty nasty boss; I'll see if 5-starring stuff on Normal unlocks anything else, and then I think I'm going to go through and play Hard mode with the controller to compare.
    Bamelin wrote:
    For the record Im using a pad and still love the game to bits. It's Rez in every sense of the word ... i would say the main difference between Rez and Child of Eden is the vision of the two games .... Where Rez was dystopian both in terms of music and visuals, Child of Eden has far "happier" electronica with imagery to match. Think of it in terms of anthems ... CoE is constantly teasing you with the musical and visual euphoria of victory with each shot you take .... CoE reminds me of some ways how the last level of Flower felt ....

The game is mind blowing. You all need to get in on this right away. Games like this don't come around very often.
    It really is a sensory overload, more so than Rez, I think. Rez had a lot going on, but it was much more dark and spartan, with really sharp edges and linear shapes. You could pretty easily see enemies and spawns, but Child of Eden is like the complete opposite: It's bright, shiny, and luminescent, and everything is curved and convex and wacky-shaped, so at least initially there is so much exploding in front of your eyes that it's tough to parse what's happening. This is all fantastic to experience, obviously, but it's crazy how different it feels, even with almost the exact same mechanics of its predecessor.

It's definitely a lot happier and perkier. I never really thought about how downright dystopian Rez feels through, but Child of Eden swings completely in the opposite direction. I think overall I still like the vibe of Rez more, but I also have yet to really learn Child of Eden's levels; I like Rez more because at one point I virtually knew every level's spawn patterns just by listening to the backbeat.

Oh, and re: Kinect controls: As I was playing this afternoon I ran into some occasional "Kinect is having problems, please use the Tuner to adjust your settings" prompts. I think sunlight may have been the culprit.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I don't think Genki Rockets were involved with NMH? Aside from Heavenly Star being in Naomi's lab, of course.

They weren't, but Heavenly Star was being played at every corner of the game. Between that an being on Luminous and all.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    So somehow, someway, some inconceivable crime happened, and I was utterly unaware of this game until the thread title "Rez sequel" caught my eye last night. How this managed to be not only developed, but then announced and released with me being completely unaware is just fucking unacceptable.

So after work today, I bought it. It's sitting a few feet away right now, taunting me, but I feel like I should give Rez another whirl first, so that I can really appreciate it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm really sad that I have to wait for September, but what I really mean to say, is I am so fucking stoked to get to play this game even though I don't have a 360.

SO

FUCKING

STOKED

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else who's finished it--is there some equivalent to "Beating it in Baby Form" like in Rez in order to get the true ending? I know after beating it the first time there's still a movie locked in the extras section, though I suppose it could be for any number of things, like beating it on hard or 4 starring everything.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh my god, this game is amazing! I've only played Matrix and Evolution so far, but it's everything I was hoping for.

And somehow, someway, it's even more difficult than Rez.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bionic monkey, this is a good thing in my opinion. I felt except for the final boss, that rez was far too easy.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This is seriously making me consider picking up a Kinect, too.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do eeet!

Don't know what the score is there in the US, but here in the UK the price has been reduced in some places from £130 down to as little as £80 including Kinect Adventures, so shop carefully before you buy to get a good deal.

So jealous of you guys right now, have to wait until tomorrow for mine (assuming it turns up on time and isn't late).

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Passion (level 4) is mindblowing.

I started playing again on Hard mode with controller last night ... and it's not just a clever name, Hard mode is freaking hard! Though I went back to Normal with controller, and oddly enough, my scores on Kinect are way, way higher than with the controller, even though I felt more in control of my movements and timing on the controller. I still don't really know how the scoring system fully works.

Lunker on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's pretty easy. Gotta chain those octa-locks for the multiplers for the big bucks.

Jintor on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So what's the big draw for this game, other than it's pretty? It looks pretty boring from the videos I've seen.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The moment where the music, the visuals, the beat and your movements merge in your mind, send a tingle up your spine, and send you right into the zone

You're watching the videos and all you're seeing is a rail shooter

But to look at Child of Eden as pure mechanics is nothing short of a crime against your own brain

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, you're not making it sound very interesting at all.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ever play Rez?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, a friend of mine wouldn't shut the fuck up about it until I'd played it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Really wish I could pick this up now, but money's going to be really tight until we start getting royalties from the PC versions of our games. After that though, Child of Eden shall be mine!

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Darmak wrote: »

If you have a 360, download the demo of Rez HD and give it a shot (it's most of the first level) in the dark with headphones or a good 5.1 surround sound setup. If the way the audio, visuals, and gameplay don't really click with you, or you're not willing to let yourself fall into the game, then it might just not be your thing. My friends were split between thinking Rez was incredible or really "the gayest thing I'd ever seen in my life."

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Lunker wrote: »

If you have a 360, download the demo of Rez HD and give it a shot (it's most of the first level) in the dark with headphones or a good 5.1 surround sound setup. If the way the audio, visuals, and gameplay don't really click with you, or you're not willing to let yourself fall into the game, then it might just not be your thing. My friends were split between thinking Rez was incredible or really "the gayest thing I'd ever seen in my life."

It was pretty much the gayest thing ever. A slow rail shooter with shitty music, which is supposedly the big draw of the game. Like you say, I guess it's just not for me.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Nothing wrong with a game being the gayest thing you've ever seen in your life:

http://games.adultswim.com/robot-unicorn-attack-twitchy-online-game.html

But yeah Darmak if you didn't like Rez this isn't for you. Unless the visuals do it for you. Or the Kinect controls. Otherwise... no.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My friends were split between thinking Rez was incredible or really "the gayest thing I'd ever seen in my life."

Half your friends are jackholes.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, judging from what I've seen, if you think Rez is shitty, then I don't see any reason why you'd like Child of Eden.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It was pretty much the gayest thing ever. A slow rail shooter with shitty music, which is supposedly the big draw of the game. Like you say, I guess it's just not for me.

Wow.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Wow.

I HAET DUDEBROS

Cantido on