As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Splunking in yonder Caveran - D&D

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ..uh...buh...

wuh?

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking of NWN, I am considering adapting one of my favorite modules series' from it for you gents, hopefully none are you are familiar with Penultima?

LTTP, but if you're planning on a campaign based on Penultima, your players are in for a long time of fun times. :D
    Srrsly ... Pastor of Muppets? Yes.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you don't have to put Late To The Party before every post you reply to, Elvenshae

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is that what that means?

I always thought it was link to the past

which actually kind of works too

Squall on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    you don't have to put Late To The Party before every post you reply to, Elvenshae

Hah! I just realized that was you. Again.

And, normally, I don't - but I was referencing something from like, 5 pages back and conversation had moved on.

I referenced Penultima in a G&T thread the other day to absolutely no reaction. I'm glad someone else out there appreciates it as much as I did.

One of the improved companion and monster AI scripts that makes the rest of NWN play much better breaks the
    arena
    in the Penultima hub, though, which always makes me sad.
    The monster in the first room bashes through the door into the second, and they break into the third, etc., so you end up walking through three or four empty rooms before fighting them all at once (and, usually, dying).

So, the D&D campaign / adventure (it's somewhere in the middle, I think) I'm running is drawing to a conclusion. And not beforetime! We've been playing for, like, two years at this point, with constant schedule-based interruptions, etc. The party is now 3rd-level, after starting at 1st (pretty heavily house-ruled 3.X, stealing from 4th and SW Saga Edition).

This adventure is ending in a climactic mass battle for the fate of their hometown. There are a bunch of townspeople squads of varying strength that the PCs will be able to command and join with, using a slightly hacked-up version of Saga Edition's starfighter wing rules. Each of the squads has a little card with the names of the squadmembers, so that during the battle (and in the aftermath), the party will actually know exactly who died. Given that their foes are a small band of Red Wizards with some suped up undead, I expect civilian casualties to be pretty high. Bwahahah.

Except, well, making up [people's] names is one of the things I am the absolute worst at. Anyone have a link to a good "Generate me 100 names in the style of 'X'" tools? Anyone wanna post some of their favorite character names for me to steal? :D Mostly human of various Faerunian stock, and some Half-orcs.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That Dark Sun thing looks actually really interesting

at least the art does

Dadouw on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All you need to do for humans is pick a very standard sounding English name

William, John, James, Arthur, Harold, you get the idea

Then, for their last name, you have two options

Pick another standard sounding English name, attach the suffix -son

Or pick an olde timey profession, and use that

Straightzi on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What are the big gameplay differences between normal D+D and Dark Sun?

Gumpy on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gumpy wrote: »
    What are the big gameplay differences between normal D+D and Dark Sun?

dark sun is the equivalent of diable hardcore mode

only, theres very little magic

also all monsters are pkers

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    As far as gameplay goes, psionics are much more common. Magic exists but is pretty much universally hated.

Steel and other metals are super rare so most weapons are made out of bone or flint or obsidian. They've added a weapon breakage rule where your gear can be destroyed if you roll a critical failure.

Characters also get new "theme" abilities tied to their background.

The monsters are generally tougher/stranger and straight-up survival against the elements is a bigger factor in most adventures.

DMAC on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So in a game I am going through with some dudes I am playing a deva barbarian. It shouldn't work but might be fun. I've never played a barbarian before. This one does two weapon fighting and relies on dex so it am hoping it won't be totally useless.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kobold aerialist rogue all up ins

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    DMAC wrote: »
    Just got the notice that my MM3 has shipped from Amazon. I ordered the new Tiefling book and a pack of the Athas Dungeon Tiles too. I'm getting pretty bad at basically buying everything WotC puts out.

I hate how you can walk to wherever they were shipped from pick up the book and walk back to your house and it might be faster with thier mule train of free shipping

I got the Martial Power books and Underdark at last as NO one around here had them in stock for months!

I am not looking forward to this weekend's Free RPG day as it's the worst day for me because of work {Friday/Saturday nights are real ass kicking days at work} so I will be next to worthless if they want me to play

one time i picked free shipping and got the book two weeks before it was released. It was pretty neat.

Melding on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to play a Wizard for the first time ever.

I've always been more of a stabby, shooty or clubby character. I'm scared.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well Thelonius, since you're playing a Wizard, you must be asked

What does your magic missile look like?

Farangu on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cupcakes.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »
    zonugal

can I be this guy?

2526_picture_of_a_punked_out_dinosaur_with_purple_hair_sunglasses_and_guitar.jpg

Possibly as long as every time you roar a raptor scream it meshes with a heavy rock cord.

Like I wouldn't

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Tonight's Encounters session went a little better. The fighter died outright and things are looking bad for the ardent but I managed to actually do some serious damage with my ranger this time. I took down two of the 3 kanks and did the bulk of the damage to the third. Kank ganking. Kanking.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    well hello there, fellow nerds.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heya, metz.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    if you guys start up a new campaign or whatever in some D&D i'd be down as shit to play with you fellows.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Or you could always start up your own

Make them come to you

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    man i aint ever DMed before. i tried and then realized "i don't know shit about this fucking game and my campaign is awful."

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's why on your first time you take a pre-published adventure and stick to the script

Once you can run a fight without your players interrupting about rules mistakes often, then start focusing on creating crazy stories for them to deal with.

Farangu on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is good advice.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    it is indeed.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just wish I had people around here to play with IRL. PbP's can only do so much.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I got some time this friday, and my ongoing group has stalled a wee bit so to keep my hand in I might as well attempt to run a one-shot if I can get a couple interested folks.

If anyone's interested in a one-shot game this friday the 18th, go ahead and shoot me a PM with a character and I'll set something up. I'll be available more or less all day, but I think something like 4pm-8pm or 6pm-10pm PST would work best, lemme know availability-wise. It's not like you folks have anything better to do on a Friday night, right? Probably run it in ventrilo and maptools, as per usual. Can give people the rundown on those two things if they need, they're pretty snazzy programs.

Of course, since it's a one-shot you can probably expect a small amount of silliness.

Tentative adventure synopsis:
    Dodging horrid projectiles, dealing with large angry humanoids of all types, keen on waving jagged, improvised weapons at you, constantly running low on money and supplies, skipping town and avoiding dire enemies when a job goes wrong, every day facing the worst fear of all mankind. Yes, it's a hard life being an actor in the big city. And that life is about to get harder.

The Graying Mage Playhouse, the largest (and coincidentally, the least successful) theater in the shining metropolis of the known world, the Free City of Gateway. The mighty (and very flammable) building a monument to the great art of acting, a testament to the architect of yesteryear's genius, the glowing light of civilization, and not at all a dilapidated, hopeless fire-trap that ought to be condemned and torn down before it goes completely bankrupt.

It is here that our story starts, during the final night of its latest play, a daring assassination is foiled by an equally daring acting crew. An act that raises the ire of the shadowy assassin's guild who vengefully respond that "if a bunch of jumped up theater-players are going to meddle in our business, then we're going to meddle in theirs." A threat that may be all too literal when weeks later the theater is suddenly flooded with much-needed funds from a new backer, on the condition that they run a newly written play called "The Slayer's Code". Now, with dozens of suspicious new hires roaming the building, a mysterious new investor, and the theater's paranoid owner firmly locked in his booby-trapped office with several loaded crossbows, one might wonder whether the Graying Mage theater's upcoming performance will be a terror-stricken swan song, or a new lease to fame and fortune. Either way, you know what they say, the show... must go on!

A one-off D&D 4th edition adventure for 2-5 or whatever level 4 characters. PCs may take on the roles of hired guards or investigators (after all, it's probably prudent to spend some of that huge pile of money on making sure there's no "accidental" deaths during the play's run, or any "accidental" fires or "accidental" sabotage that leads to "accidental" mass chaos), theater management or workers, or even the role of one of the new hires (who are absolutely not agents of the assassin's guild, where would you even get that idea?).

Standard level 4 characters, 22 point buy for ability scores, one level 5 magic item, one level 4 item, one level 3 item, and 680gp. Just a sentence or two is fine for backstory, this is a one-shot after all and I may make some suggestions that'll help the character fit in better with the mood. Whatev's.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i might not be able to do guru's game, marsh

could you tell him if i don't get in vent tomorrow

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just did, he said not to worry because he probably won't be able to do his game either.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hm... man i might get up on this shit, marsh.

i might get up on it REAL GOOD.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One of my characters died recently. First time it wasn't some sort of plot contrivance related death.

He went out like a bitch, too. Some crazy rage demon was going to attack the invoker, but since he wasn't looking to good he used an interrupt to get the hell out of dodge. Now, having some sort of crazy multi attack to declare, and with just my little gnome adjacent, it managed to get an absolutely ridiculous string of critical hits on that.

Throat ripped straight out, I never thought I would see an epic tier character brought past negative bloodied in a single hit.

It was pretty shocking.

0046_12.gif

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MARSH WHAT'S THE CAMPAIGN SETTING? FORGOTTEN REALMS!?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Farangu wrote: »
    I just wish I had people around here to play with IRL. PbP's can only do so much.

I agree my friend who likes to play every now and again but then she finds many of the people who do play around here really creepy and I do agree
    But then we play Vampire Requiem a lot :winky::rotate::winky:

When we went to an encounters event a few weeks ago the guy who was the DM spent the entire game talking about how he got a walk on roll on a tv show and all the other bit parts he has had.

What I find odd is a lot of the people around here play 3rd edition and a growing number play 4th but they don't mix with each other

For those of you who are interested This Saturday is Free RPG DAY So you might be able to meet some other sweaty unwashed socially unacceptable people to play rpgs with

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The only comic/gaming store around here doesn't even do encounters, everyone is apparently enthralled with Magic still

Plus I'm moving in a few weeks anyway

Farangu on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Everyone who sells comics or does rpgs are on the other side of town I hate living in the greater Albuquerque Sprawl at times

I lack a car so most of the time when I feel like playing I have to talk my freind into it

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MARSH WHAT'S THE CAMPAIGN SETTING? FORGOTTEN REALMS!?

Yeah sure, lets go with that.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I tried posting this in critical failures and I got a lecture on the evils of gambling, so I figured I would try here instead.

How do you guys handle gambling in DnD? My current character has a bit of an addiction to poker, and the DM and I have yet to work out a fair skill challenge to represent it.

Any ideas?

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MoosehatIV wrote: »
    Ok, I tried posting this in critical failures and I got a lecture on the evils of gambling, so I figured I would try here instead.

How do you guys handle gambling in DnD? My current character has a bit of an addiction to poker, and the DM and I have yet to work out a fair skill challenge to represent it.

Any ideas?

profession gambling check

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, shoulda mentioned it was 4th edition.

The non fun skill edition.

MoosehatIV on
This discussion has been closed.