As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS Announced Software List: Pilotwings, MGS, Bomberman, Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    0.png

3.png

4.png

Big Classy on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want to note that in a lot of ways it's graphics capability is better than the Wii's. Per pixel shading? Normal and specular maps? Yes please!

Wii can actually do some of that, we just don't see it used well. Normal maps in particular. There was an old interview between Matt Cassamassina and some Wii dev where he mentioned that the Wii couldn't do normal maps and they were like "uhhh yeah it does, it's actually really easy."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is there any pictures of Ninja Gaiden 3DS?

Couscous on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want to note that in a lot of ways it's graphics capability is better than the Wii's. Per pixel shading? Normal and specular maps? Yes please!

Wii can actually do some of that, we just don't see it used well. Normal maps in particular. There was an old interview between Matt Cassamassina and some Wii dev where he mentioned that the Wii couldn't do normal maps and they were like "uhhh yeah it does, it's actually really easy."

Well I didn't mean Wii couldn't do things sort of like that - anyone thats seen Dead Space, The Conduit, or the recent Prince of Persia game could note you can get some things like that running.

But the on board support for this on the 3DS is much stronger. Where the 3DS is weaker would be memory. Which isn't really a surprise.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    is there any pictures of Ninja Gaiden 3DS?

There's dead or Alive?

4.png

You can find them all here.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    dclee wrote: »
    I'd really like to see another 2d Mario game, something like New Super Mario Bros. I know it's a bit doubtful cause you know, 3D and all, but one can hope.

You can do '2d' in 3D. Nintendo is apparently the king of 2d platformers these days so I would be surprised if they didn't release something. The Wii has got a good one for the past three years (Wario Land, NSMB, DKCR + Kirby).

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    IGN's description of the Kingdom Hearts 3DS trailer:
    The trailer starts off with Sora and Riku sitting out by the starfruit tree on Destiny Islands. Then Riku disappears in a swirling flash of light. Sora calls after him and runs around the island (the game switches to gameplay here).

Sora runs through the island a bit, showing off the locale. It looks exactly like it did in the PS2 game. The thing that makes me think it's not a port is that Sora already has the glide ability, which he uses to soar around the island a bit.

The game cuts again and shows Riku waking up Traverse Town (the main hub world of the PS2 game). He goes into a courtyard and is surrounded by a bunch of Heartless. Then he looks up and stuff gets crazy.

The sky starts raining Soras.

No seriously. A dozen unconscious Soras slowly float down from the sky like a cute boy meteor shower.

One of the Soras lands and busts out his Keyblade. The game switches back to gameplay mode here and shows Sora bashing the Heartless. After all the Heartless are defeated a huge soldier Heartless boss rises from the ground. Before Sora can battle him he snaps awake, back on Destiny Islands, sitting with Kairi by the starfruit tree. The camera pans up to the night sky and shows the title screen, Kingdom hearts DS.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Well I didn't mean Wii couldn't do things sort of like that - anyone thats seen Dead Space, The Conduit, or the recent Prince of Persia game could note you can get some things like that running.

But the on board support for this on the 3DS is much stronger. Where the 3DS is weaker would be memory. Which isn't really a surprise.

Are you getting this information from somewhere in particular? I've yet to see them saying anything in particular about the hardware capabilities of the 3DS beyond very basic things like maximum card capacity (two gigabytes, for the record).

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dritz wrote: »
    I'd really like to see another 2d Mario game, something like New Super Mario Bros. I know it's a bit doubtful cause you know, 3D and all, but one can hope.

NSMB and NSMBWii both sold like hotcakes made with crack instead of sugar. I'd be shocked if we don't see a new 2D handheld Mario game.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    116042720.jpg
    116081365.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »

Are you getting this information from somewhere in particular? I've yet to see them saying anything in particular about the hardware capabilities of the 3DS beyond very basic things like maximum card capacity (two gigabytes, for the record).

Well, that's finally plenty/enough rooms for games for a handheldsystem. Especially if games at least a little stop prerenderd cutscenes. It's always friggin amazing when I see pirates take down large pc games like ME2 and bringing it down to ~4GB with all cutscences just cut down in quality. (Though I imagine 3DS cutscenes shouldn't take up too much space thanks to the resolution)(No, I'm not a pirate its an observation)

Anyway,.. so we won't get any information on the chip used?

C2B on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Dritz wrote: »

NSMB and NSMBWii both sold like hotcakes made with crack instead of sugar. I'd be shocked if we don't see a new 2D handheld Mario game.

I'd love to see a new 2D Castlevania using the 3DS to put shitloads of work on the backgrounds...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was just thinking how much I'd pay for Picross Really 3D. Clubhouse Games 3D with chess and checkers would be sweet and card games where your cards are held in front of you would be gimicky but neat.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any word on what this thing will cost? If it launches at $150 I might have to buy this damn thing. I literally knew nothing about the 3DS before today, but these screens are pretty impressive.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    116042720.jpg
    116081365.jpg

Holy shit, time to make friends with your neighbors... or break out a DS?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Someone needs pics of the PSP line now.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Any word on what this thing will cost? If it launches at $150 I might have to buy this damn thing. I literally knew nothing about the 3DS before today, but these screens are pretty impressive.

Heh, you and everyone else.

The most common and most likely guess is $199, though they haven't said a word.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm getting it from people I work with, people who have a project up on e3 nintendo website. Its not something I've worked with personally though so I am hearing it second hand.

Oh, and by memory I mean more like RAM. Sorry for the confusion.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'd bet it'll launch at $150. They could probably even push it up to $200, but then it might end up more expensive than the Wii and that'd be a kind of awkward situation.

There's been no discussion of price yet, though. After Sony's PS3 debacles most people are savvy enough to avoid talking price at E3. Except for Microsoft, oi

Still, you can anticipate ~$150 or so, yes.
    I'm getting it from people I work with, people who have a project up on e3 nintendo website. Its not something I've worked with personally though so I am hearing it second hand.

Fair enough! The idea that the 3DS is more powerful than a Wii is funny and slightly disturbing, however.

Also who do you work for tell us now

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Oh, and by memory I mean more like RAM. Sorry for the confusion.

That's pretty cool. Without even knowing what game it is, tell them they're doing a great job, because every game looks really promising.

Also I get what you meant about the effects, on board and easy support is very valuable to devs.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For all the waggle and vitality sensor wii sports shit that makes me kind of groan at Nintendo, you gotta give it to them that they are really damn good at holding on to reasonable hardware specs until the manufacturing costs are viable to launch. Imagine if this thing launches competative with the PSP's current price.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    C2B wrote: »

Well, that's finally plenty/enough rooms for games for a handheldsystem. Especially if games at least a little stop prerenderd cutscenes. It's always friggin amazing when I see pirates take down large pc games like ME2 and bringing it down to ~4GB with all cutscences just cut down in quality. (Though I imagine 3DS cutscenes shouldn't take up too much space thanks to the resolution)(No, I'm not a pirate its an observation)

Largest game on the current DS formats is at 512mb. 2GB would be a necessity though for better graphics.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This made my day. I forgot E3 was starting, and then I came home to an abundance of 3DS news! I can't wait to see one of these things in action. The screens already look gorgeous, and I'm glad people have been saying the 3D works well (aside from the narrow field of view).

And normally I wouldn't be one to buy movies to play on my handhelds *cough*PSP, but I can actually see myself picking up some 3D movies for this in case I want to get my 3D cinema on without shelling out $4000 for a 3D HDTV.

Taximes on
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Sort of sucks that the touch screen can't be 3D. So actual touch screen games won't have 3D at all except in whatever fluff they put on the upper screen. I wonder if that means Nintendo will finally ditch touch screen Zelda :o

Your hand/stylus would break the immersion of it.

I've said it elsewhere: fundamentally, the 3D is a gimmick. It's something they probably feel they need to add to "hide" the fact that the 3DS is "just" an upgraded DS; since the DS introduced new technology and the DSi also introduced new technology (the camera), they probably feel that every major hardware revision has to have something more than just morer gooderer jiggaflops. (This is in spite of the fact that both fans and developers have been pining for a straight-up stronger DS for years and would not complain at all.) The fact that the 3D can be turned off should tell you everything you need to know - it's a gimmick designed to wow the casual crowd.

With a software lineup like this, though, who needs gimmicks? Christ.
    The fact that the 3D can be turned off only tells you that Nintendo doesn't want to alienate their fanbase that might get sick using this technology. That doesn't scream gimmick more than it does we are smart.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been amazed how much work takes out of you playing games (I basically only play around Memorial Day, July 4th, and Christmas season), but if the 3DS can really give us graphics that good that would be a perfect companion to a netbook for a better mobile gaming experience.

And that launch list, that's just streets ahead.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Largest game on the current DS formats is at 512mb. 2GB would be a necessity though for better graphics.

You know, it's worth bringing this up. I actually wonder what manufacturing costs for the 3DS will be; I've been told directly by folks in the industry that smaller publishers felt like they had a huge barrier of entry with the DS (ironically, since it was supposed to be easy for smaller devs to develop for) due to the cards being hells of expensive. Essentially, it was possible to make a lot of money, sure, but the profit-per-unit was quite a bit lower than a console or PSP game due to the cost of manufacturing each card (and the necessity of each sold unit to cover for itself in that regard). I can't imagine a quadrupling of card capacity is going to help matters much on that front, even with the improvements in microchip manufacturing between 2004 and now. Are small devs and publishers still going to feel squeezed on the 3DS or will Big N be doing things to give people a little relief in that department, I wonder.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I don't know if 3d is really a 'casual' crowd thing.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You know, it's worth bringing this up. I actually wonder what manufacturing costs for the 3DS will be; I've been told directly by folks in the industry that smaller publishers felt like they had a huge barrier of entry with the DS (ironically, since it was supposed to be easy for smaller devs to develop for) due to the cards being hells of expensive. Essentially, it was possible to make a lot of money, sure, but the profit-per-unit was quite a bit lower than a console or PSP game due to the cost of manufacturing each card (and the necessity of each sold unit to cover for itself in that regard). I can't imagine a quadrupling of card capacity is going to help matters much on that front, even with the improvements in microchip manufacturing between 2004 and now. Are small devs and publishers still going to feel squeezed on the 3DS or will Big N be doing things to give people a little relief in that department, I wonder.

I always thought Nintendo did the production. Either way it can't be too bad given the leaps in flash format memory these past few years.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay. This is how serious I am about this:

I just made a Faustian deal with my wife that includes my Xbox 360 as trade in fodder to assure my 3DS on launch.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'd bet it'll launch at $150. They could probably even push it up to $200, but then it might end up more expensive than the Wii and that'd be a kind of awkward situation.

There's been no discussion of price yet, though. After Sony's PS3 debacles most people are savvy enough to avoid talking price at E3. Except for Microsoft, oi

Still, you can anticipate ~$150 or so, yes.

The DS fat launched at $150, but the DSi and DSi XL currently retail for $170 and $190, respectively.

They won't launch the 3DS for less than the DSi currently sells. Launch price will be at least $170, and likely more.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I don't know if 3d is really a 'casual' crowd thing.

It totally is.

Its fancy new tech that can be probably had for a low price.

It had me before E3 on that fact alone and I have shifted lately more to that crowd.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On the other hand, I seriously doubt that they'll sell it for more than the Wii's $200

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I remember getting super pumped for the original DS, like really super excited.

I ended up getting only 4 games for it so far. Portable gaming just isn't for me I guess.

But I'm still excited for the 3ds.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I called the Ocarina of time as tech demo oonly thing
    The 3DS version of Ocarina of Time we first saw this morning is real. Sort of. Miyamoto is playing with it at the briefing (no press hands-on, sadly), but like a few other 3DS titles shown off so far is merely a tech demo for the new hardware. He says he liked the openness of Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time, and wanted to recreate that sensation in 3D to see how people liked it.
    Miyamoto says he doesn't just want to port old games to the 3DS, and that the Ocarina and Star Fox demos we've seen today are things the company is actively developing, at least in terms of scope and design if not in terms of literally developing.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The 3DS version of Ocarina of Time we first saw this morning is real. Sort of. Miyamoto is playing with it at the briefing (no press hands-on, sadly), but like a few other 3DS titles shown off so far is merely a tech demo for the new hardware. He says he liked the openness of Hyrule Field in Ocarina of Time, and wanted to recreate that sensation in 3D to see how people liked it.
    Miyamoto says he doesn't just want to port old games to the 3DS, and that the Ocarina and Star Fox demos we've seen today are things the company is actively developing, at least in terms of scope and design if not in terms of literally developing.

He mentions in along with Star Fox 64 3D. We know SF64 3D is a game.
    Nintendo

Animal Crossing
    Kid Icarus: Uprising
    Mario Kart
    nintendogs + cats
    Paper Mario
    PilotWings Resort
    Star Fox 64 3D
    Steel Diver
    It sounds more like he is saying he is going to make them superfuckingawesome.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

He mentions in along with Star Fox 64 3D. We know SF64 3D is a game.
    Nintendo

Animal Crossing
    Kid Icarus: Uprising
    Mario Kart
    nintendogs + cats
    Paper Mario
    PilotWings Resort
    Star Fox 64 3D
    Steel Diver
    It sounds more like he is saying he is going to make them superfuckingawesome.

Yeah just got to the update, fucking slow blogging!!!!
    For now though it sounds like they're nothing more than tech demos so I'm partially right. Right? Riiiiiiiight?!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So has anyone seen this yet?

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29945

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Huge fan of these colors:

6-15-10-3dscloseup19.jpg

6-15-10-3dscloseup23.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I came buckets when they announced the new paper mario game, im actually playing thousand year door these days!

ahh nintendo, your handhelds are awesomesauce.

hadoken on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh man I'd be down for that purple one.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png