As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS Announced Software List: Pilotwings, MGS, Bomberman, Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Sadly, the Sony press conference seems indicative that they're cutting their losses and leaving the handheld market.

It was fun while it lasted.

But they are making a new ad campaign with a hip black kid!

Like I said.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent that post had me laughing my ass off :D

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To sell three games; GoW, Peace Walker, and Birth by Sleep. I expect two of those to do really well.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sadly, the Sony press conference seems indicative that they're cutting their losses and leaving the handheld market.

Good, every PSP I've owned (four of them) has made me more and more irritated, as opposed to every DS I've owned (also four of them), I've loved. The PSP is unnecessary and annoying, and I put up with it because of its good exclusives.

I hope Sony never enters the handheld market ever again. The PSP is everything wrong with Sony writ large

Rent on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To sell three games; GoW, Peace Walker, and Birth by Sleep. I expect two of those to do really well.

You're forgetting something.

Also, there's the Ys deluge XSEED has on the way. The PSP isn't dead yet.

It's just in deep trouble.

And I still have my first PSP. Daxter Bundle. I love this console.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's a...good console that has a lot of problems

And its problems more than outweigh its good points

And I really do dislike it. It's not what handhelds are meant to be. That's not what they are

Rent on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »

Good, every PSP I've owned (four of them) has made me more and more irritated, as opposed to every DS I've owned (also four of them), I've loved. The PSP is unnecessary and annoying, and I put up with it because of its good exclusives.

I hope Sony never enters the handheld market ever again. The PSP is everything wrong with Sony writ large
    At least it doesn't have region locking. It is all but confirmed that the 3DS has it, right?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh you mean the list of extremely niche games that will probably once and forever bury XSEED in a mountain of debt?

Those games are going to have ridiculously low sales.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

And I really do dislike it. It's not what handhelds are meant to be. That's not what they are

Like? I know it has them, I'm just wondering what you think they are.

Xenogears: you're right, of course, but those few of us who buy those games will have it really good.

And I will kill for Parasite Eve 3. Fortunately, I bet we get it before Japan. Shooters always sell better here.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Absolutely, I just hope for their sake that they have some plan to recoup some money off of this.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    MH79 wrote: »

I know, right?! :)

God I'm so happy. It's like Nintendo personally made me the portable of my dreams

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Its price point, its battery life, its insistence on style over substance, its attempt to be a portable console (handhelds are not consoles. This is one of my biggest complaints- that Sony ignored the culture of what handheld games are and just tried to make a handheld PS2), its analog nub, its pricing for its games, its endless SKUs, its everything

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dryesias wrote: »
    Some people were wondering how the 3D works, it works on the same principle as this IIRC:
    Only difference, is it uses the camera on the front of the 3DS to track your face position instead of LED's on your head being captured by the infrared camera in the Wiimote.

http://forum-files2.fobby.net/0003/9774/lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

http://www.pcworld.com/article/198950/nintendo_3ds_the_unanswered_hardware_questions.html?tk=hp_new
    We've previously posted a rundown of the various 3D technologies available, and after prodding the Nintendo reps for more info, it's clear they aren't revealing their secrets just yet. However, given that the depth of the 3D effect on the 3DS can be turned up or down with a slider button, it appears that there is some degree of light diffusion happening directly in the device.

I predicted back in March that the 3DS would sport a parallax barrier screen, which works by diffusing separately polarized light to each eye. This may still be the case, but the specifics of how Nintendo is controlling the degree of depth is still a mystery.

Couscous on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MH79 wrote: »

I know, right?! :)

God I'm so happy. It's like Nintendo personally made me the portable of my dreams

I can imagine you cackling at your computer as you watch Nintendo lay the smackdown on Sony.
    "YES. FUCK YOU SONY. FUUUUUUCK YOOOOUUUUUU!!!!"

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just want to point out how fucked the PSP is

As we've seen from tech demos alone, the 3DS can easily reproduce PSP-level graphics. The addition of the nub means even with the touchscreen completely removed from the picture, the controls are now exactly a one for one recreation of the PSPs. The top screen (which is also wider like a psp screen...hmmm...), in addition to being the 3D one, could play any psp game unchanged (much like the DS did for GBA games). Hardware limitations are now non-existent for 3rd party developers to port their games, and on top of it they can now cross-platform produce any PSP game for the 3DS. Every 3rd party developer is developing for the DS anyways because it's the biggest game in town, and Sony has had huge issues keeping 3rd parties interested in developing for the PSP. Now every 3rd party can cheaply port all their (mostly non-selling) PSP games over, slap a "3D" on the end of the name, and suddenly their games are playing to an exponentially larger install base. This is probably why so many third parties are happy- their dead end PSP games get new life on the 3DS. Multi-platform development is now possible for portables- but only in one direction. Unless Sony comes out with a two-screen system and on top of it adds some sort of hardware addition the 3DS can't reproduce (second analog nub), they're at best gonna have a DS clone with a vastly smaller install base. If they go too different to try to make platform exclusives a necessity they risk destroying the already-shakey relationship with third parties they have. They're basically in a catch-22 of Nintendo's making, and I love it.

I swear to god the 3DS was in every way a "fuck you" to the PSP. Every addition that the 3DS has was meant to fuck it over. Jesus Christ Nintendo is so fucking awesome

It's hilarious that Nintendo won last gen by going different, and they're gonna win next gen by homogenizing.

Only things I can think to add are the max cart size of the 3DS is about 200 MB bigger than a dual layered UMD, it is the size of the DS Lite with the battery of the DSi, and that the PSP's single screen is still bigger and a different aspect ratio.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Some people were wondering how the 3D works, it works on the same principle as this IIRC:
    Only difference, is it uses the camera on the front of the 3DS to track your face position instead of LED's on your head being captured by the infrared camera in the Wiimote.

http://forum-files2.fobby.net/0003/9774/lex-luthor-wrong1.jpg

http://www.pcworld.com/article/198950/nintendo_3ds_the_unanswered_hardware_questions.html?tk=hp_new
    We've previously posted a rundown of the various 3D technologies available, and after prodding the Nintendo reps for more info, it's clear they aren't revealing their secrets just yet. However, given that the depth of the 3D effect on the 3DS can be turned up or down with a slider button, it appears that there is some degree of light diffusion happening directly in the device.

I predicted back in March that the 3DS would sport a parallax barrier screen, which works by diffusing separately polarized light to each eye. This may still be the case, but the specifics of how Nintendo is controlling the degree of depth is still a mystery.

Ancient black magic, buried deep in the mountains of Japan. That's the only explanation.

That or the tears of Sony executives.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Its price point, its battery life, its insistence on style over substance, its attempt to be a portable console (handhelds are not consoles. This is one of my biggest complaints- that Sony ignored the culture of what handheld games are and just tried to make a handheld PS2), its analog nub, its pricing for its games, its endless SKUs, its everything

Uh, the DS has been revisioned like... god, I won't even try to count how many times. There's DS games that cost $40 too.

I think the PSP is a fantastic handheld. Sony have just handled it all wrong.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Only things I can think to add are the max cart size of the 3DS is about 200 MB bigger than a dual layered UMD
    I forgot how small UMDs are. If the graphical level isn't that much greater than the PSP, it should be that huge of a problem, but I wonder what the costs of the cards will be.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DryesiasDryesias Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heh, Couscous, I deleted my post like literally within 3 seconds after posting it when I realized my mistake (brainfart), how on earth did you catch that...

Dryesias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DS has been revised exactly same number of times the PSP has been. Three.

DS Phat>DS Lite>DSi>DSiXL

PSP 1000>2000>3000>PSP Go.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Uh, the DS has been revisioned like... god, I won't even try to count how many times. There's DS games that cost $40 too.

I think the PSP is a fantastic handheld. Sony have just handled it all wrong.

Yes, but imo every change in the DS were overall improvements, and at the end of the day the DS phat is still an excellent device

The 1000 is terribleness squared. I know. I owned one.

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    and that the PSP's single screen is still bigger and a different aspect ratio.

Do you think this will be a significant barrier for (likely) ports?

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm just sad that I bought a DSi in January. Or maybe December. What a waste. :(

Does Gamestop accept system trade-ins? I should do it now before its value plummets.

Dryesias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DS has been revised the exactly same number of times the PSP has been. Three.

DS Phat>DS Lite>DSi>DSiXL

PSP 1000>2000>3000>PSP Go.

The PSP only has two. Let us never speak of the Go again.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The failure of the Go is no one's fault but Sony's. Higher cost, less features. They didn't even try to price downloadable games competitively.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    [Johnny Lee Video]

Since I saw it in this thread, I'll just leave a note here saying that watching this again and after the whole kinict/project natal thing, I can see why Microsoft hired him.

On topic, I am very excited for the 3DS. Planning on preordering this sucker.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh also cj the Go is pretty much Sony flipping the bird at the customer. I think that might've been the final straw, for me

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Go is going to be great when I find one for under $50. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No matter how much Sony botches the console, developers keep on making awesome games for it. I'll be sad to see it go. I'm not sure the 3DS will be able to replicate something like Half Minute Hero.

There's something about the appeal of just playing a game without gimmicks. No dual screens or crazy add-ons, just a screen and buttons.

The PSP could very well be the end of that era.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Go is going to be great when I find one for under $50. :P

The Go, the only handheld to have a relaunch planned less than half a year after release.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No matter how much Sony botches the console, developers keep on making awesome games for it. I'll be sad to see it go. I'm not sure the 3DS will be able to replicate something like Half Minute Hero.

There's something about the appeal of just playing a game without gimmicks. No dual screens or crazy add-ons, just a screen and buttons.

Bah. Buttons are gimmicks. In my day, we just had a joystick and maybe some switches.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zetx wrote: »
    [Johnny Lee Video]

Since I saw it in this thread, I'll just leave a note here saying that watching this again and after the whole kinict/project natal thing, I can see why Microsoft hired him.

On topic, I am very excited for the 3DS. Planning on preordering this sucker.

Yea, for some reason I was remembering this game for the DSi, not the 3DS when I was writing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5QSclrIdlE

Dryesias on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Bah. Buttons are gimmicks. In my day, we just had a joystick and maybe some switches.

Your day? I started with the Atari 2600 too. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm sorry but I have to disagree here

The PSP is all about gimmicks.The real 'pure' gaming experiences I've gotten on DS. Pokemon HeartGold might be one of my most played games ever and it isn't a gimmick.

The PSP is all about being a dudbro gamer who can play his badical PS2 shootemups on the Go

That said, the PSP has some of the best unique games...ever. Lumines is still quite possibly my favorite puzzler of all time. But they're there despite the PSP, not because of it

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, and that's part of the problem. Sony's marketing the PSP to the dudebro demographic, when the best games on it are RPGs and quirky originals like Lumines, E3, and Half Minute Hero.

And I agree, the DS has its traditional games, like the Etrian Odysseys and suchs, but it's going to come down to the gimmicks for the mainstream stuff.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Your day? I started with the Atari 2600 too. :P

Atari? Damn whipersnappers.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Spacewar!-PDP-1-20070512.jpg

Couscous on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit day 1. I don't think I've ever seen any console with as much support right out of the gate. I'm glad developers are hopping on board and we're not getting a DS launch situation again.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And don't get me wrong: I love the DS too. I own a DS Lite, and god I want the 3DS.

It just makes me sad to see how much this is going to murder the PSP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The two best selling DS titles are almost entirely sans gimmicks. Mario Kart DS and New Super Mario Bros.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And I agree, the DS has its traditional games, like the Etrian Odysseys and suchs, but it's going to come down to the gimmicks for the mainstream stuff.

I'm desperately trying to think of mainstream DS games that revolve around gimmicks. HG/SS doesn't. NSMB doesn't. Mario Kart DS? Kingdom Hearts?

edit: stop reading my fucking mind XoB

Rent on