As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Reach / 3 : Go to the new thead

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mine took 22 days to get back to me, so you can totally pull this off.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah that's not gonna work for me. It's actually my girlfriend's Xbox, which we can't have replaced because she had my brother paint the case black. So uhhhh at least I have an excuse to buy a slim? Maybe? When I stop being poor?

Blakout on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blakout wrote: »
    Yeah that's not gonna work for me. It's actually my girlfriend's Xbox, which we can't have replaced because she had my brother paint the case black. So uhhhh at least I have an excuse to buy a slim? Maybe? When I stop being poor?

Collect $9 per day and you could have the $300 by launch day (with some overshoot to account for taxes or whatever)!

xzzy on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My good controller's left bumper broke last night. Well, at least I have a reason to get one of those Reach controllers.

Edit: Never mind, it works decently, I just have to press it specifically in the middle.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Halo, anyone?

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    My good controller's left bumper broke last night. Well, at least I have a reason to get one of those Reach controllers.

Edit: Never mind, it works decently, I just have to press it specifically in the middle.

Yeah, the bumpers seem to be the fastest component to give. I've noticed that if you keep pressing hard in that middle area, it should right itself after awhile.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm still using the same controller I got in 2006.. the thumbsticks are a little less precise, but in general the thing has held up well.

There is a gouge in the left thumbstick rubber where I dug my thumbnail into the thing, trying to not suck at geometry wars. Is the only real sign of its age.

xzzy on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've got a White, Black, and Red controller that are all working great. The white and black are over 3 years old, and we got the Red one when they first released. For some reason though, my ODST controller is slowly dying. Both triggers have this nasty squeak they do, and my right stick doesn't fall back to center, usually resting in position just slightly down and left of center. This wouldn't normally be a problem except for all the forging I do. :(

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    I'm still using the same controller I got in 2006.. the thumbsticks are a little less precise, but in general the thing has held up well.

There is a gouge in the left thumbstick rubber where I dug my thumbnail into the thing, trying to not suck at geometry wars. Is the only real sign of its age.

explain

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Same here xzzy. That, and the right on the d-pad for my other controller requiring alot of force

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    xzzy wrote: »

explain

It's hard to describe. What I discovered while playing geometry wars is that I didn't put the pad of my thumb on the thumbstick.. instead I was digging my thumbnail into the little bowl on top of the thumbstick, and I eventually cut through all the rubber. So there's this little divot on the thumbstick where you can see hard plastic.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    hardcore/terrifying

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Geometry Wars is hardcore/terrifying.

I try so hard to play it, and I am near the bottom of every single leaderboard.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    you added the people that beat you on the scoreboards

you know what you need to do

halo leaderboards aren't a thing unfortunately

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah but I have an account on halocharts too.. and I'm pretty far down the list there as well.

Mediocrity sucks!

But at least I was one of the last 50 to play Halo 2 online, that's worth something, right?

xzzy on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Anyone have spare render minutes? This ended up looking pretty cool... I guess Kor has been working out (edit: alternate title = Olympic synchronized beatdown-ing).
    http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=117753328

Repeating my request to have this rendered. I swear there are always people with extra minutes when I don't have something cool to render.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    In other news, I just noticed that Shishka is no longer marked as a Bungie employee on Bungie.net

wat

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still think MS should give point refunds to the people who bought the DLC before the MP disc came out, especially considering Reach's looming release.
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    In other news, I just noticed that Shishka is no longer marked as a Bungie employee on Bungie.net

wat

Site hiccup?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    they finally fired shishka

neogaf plan phase G is a go

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I still think MS should give point refunds to the people who bought the DLC before the MP disc came out, especially considering Reach's looming release.
    FyreWulff wrote: »

wat

Site hiccup?

Nope.. updated his LinkedIn profile, lists Bungie as past experience now.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    People don't leave Bungie.

Unless they're wandering off to start their own game company.

I wonder what Shishka is going to call his studio.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cool kids are going to irrational games

project icarus yo

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shishka has left and come back to Bungie before. who knows, maybe he got a cool new job with 343.

or maybe he just got tired of dealing with the worst of the internet day in and day out and is moving on to something more cheerful

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1rmn6VWRGD4T_GNwXFRkOsqiPdQEIewngGqgSmCCW5ag&hl=en&authkey=CMKznKoF

About to ship this off to Wu tonight. I think it needs some text editing but it's 99% there. Feedback/opinions? Text jump around too much? Did you understand it?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I caught a few spelling errors but otherwise it's all good.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yorker do you want to shoot people in a Swat setting?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I totally skipped to the "too long, didn't read" part. To be fair, I did it because I'm not particularly interested in in-depth well-placed spawns right this second, just a general overview. But aside from that, holy crap, talk about a detailed study of something which is completely vital but is super-easy to overlook when making a map.

Athough I do like the fact that facing spawns towards the action really does need to be explicitly stated. Hopping through teleporters in Team Fortress 2 only to end up facing a wall and not the enemy has always filled me with infinite rage. And I don't know if this is in there (it probably is), but I would suggest adding that spawns should always face away from very close barriers even if it means not looking directly at the enemy side or towards the action. Doesn't do any good to have all the spawns face the enemy if half of them spawn you looking at a wall 6 inches in front of you.

Yeah, it's obvious, but so is saying spawns should face the enemy and I'm sure people place spawns like that all the time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone have spare render minutes? This ended up looking pretty cool... I guess Kor has been working out (edit: alternate title = Olympic synchronized beatdown-ing).
    http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=117753328

Repeating my request to have this rendered. I swear there are always people with extra minutes when I don't have something cool to render.

Yeah yeah, hold your horses.

Edit: Hmm, still not rendered. Wonder why. If it doesn't go through tomorrow, I'll try re-rendering it, since I'm not using the minutes anyway.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the diagrams are pretty good. I would personally use a different color scheme for the spawn weight distribution example than blue/pink/red. Probably a traditional yellow/orange/red or just a single color with increased saturation.

I feel that, perhaps, the Spawn Blocking-Emergency Spawns-Engine and Gameplay Observations sections could possibly go before Spawn Distribution, as they kind of feel more related to Spawn Weighting than Distribution. However, I can see that those are the less important and in-depth topics, so putting them at the end is logical.

Also, Ye Olde Englishe in your Rules should read "Thou shalt" in every one, and #5 should be "...in any map, for thy players will..."

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Xagar wrote: »
    I think the diagrams are pretty good. I would personally use a different color scheme for the spawn weight distribution example than blue/pink/red. Probably a traditional yellow/orange/red or just a single color with increased saturation.

I feel that, perhaps, the Spawn Blocking-Emergency Spawns-Engine and Gameplay Observations sections could possibly go before Spawn Distribution, as they kind of feel more related to Spawn Weighting than Distribution. However, I can see that those are the less important and in-depth topics, so putting them at the end is logical.

Also, Ye Olde Englishe in your Rules should read "Thou shalt" in every one, and #5 should be "...in any map, for thy players will..."

thanks for the feedback, implementing these changes

edit: probably the best and worst thing about google docs is that I can tweak and change documents even after I email them to people.. must resist urge to edit....

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    2006-08-15-hiestand.jpg

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nice forum post there
    let's see how this works out for lookfree

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    no seriously you guys I think we could turn this into something

T4CT on
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want it to happen so bad

Doing live commentary during our better games was so fun

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    we'll have to do it for reach, it will be good.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well shit, why haven't we done that before? Render out a saved film, record an audio track, whack it up on YouTube. TBKommentaries.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ok folks listen up. Tonight me and Angel and another one of my good friends are attempting Endure tonight at 10pm Eastern/7pm Pacific.
    Send me a FR or message to Nocren v2 if you want in on this. Hopefully tonight is the night I get Recon.

And really, I just want the chestpiece and shoulder pads.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My friend still wont believe me that Elites and Spartans have identical hitboxes in Halo 3. I even went as far as to show him that video in Sandbox with the teleporters. Are there any direct quotes from Bungie so I can secure my bragging rights?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh, speaking of hitboxes.... Do Jackels and Grunts have the same hitbox in Halo 3? I recently played through the first level to help my friend get the campaign score achievements and it felt like to get a headshot on the snipers I had to aim above their little facemask thing and hit tippy-top of their head/neck to drop them.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dammit, I missed Lookfree being a sports announcer for Halo? Tch, my 360 just had to go and die during the Summer of Arcade, didn't it? It couldn't have chosen to kill itself back in June when there wasn't much to play, no no, it had to go and die now.

Angry Beeb is Angry.

Edit: And I swear, Local, I must have seen so many other forumers with the Ammo Mule slogan and an MNC avatar to go along with it. At least I'm original with Forky.

Mx. Quill on