As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My video card is boned right?

NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was happily playing around in Warhammer Online when everything froze up. Had to reset and when I did noticed graphical distortion on bios boot screen. Windows boots up in 640x480 4bit and won't change, in device manager it say Error 10 Device cannot start for my 8800GT(Gigabyte). The artifacts are pretty severe and static which google leads me to believe are a symptom of video card failure, and the fact that they are there before windows even starts to boot sort of rules out a driver problem.

One of the first things I did was feel heatsink, it was just barely warm so I don't think anything overheated. Ran GPU-Z to see and temp was around ~40C but for memory and core clock speed it said 0mhz. removed the card and looked it over, blew out a little dust. Can't see anything burnt or broken looking. but it back in and same story. Used different power connector. Anyway, 95% sure the card is a goner but thought I'd ask. It's about 2 years old and had 0 problems before.

It's my only computer and I can barely see crap so sorry if the above isn't that clear. In the meantime I'm trying to shop around for a replacement a bit!

Nathrak on

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This happened to me two days ago, and I did the same thing you did:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=121147

Basically it sums up to try un-installing all your drivers and re-installing fresh ones. If that doesn't work out, make sure your card didn't get slightly dislodged and is firmly seated. If you're still having problems, it looks like you may just need to replace it D:

Lorek on