As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Contact lenses--cost and use in athletics?

Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been wearing glasses all my life, but I'm considering contact lenses since it seems like they have a definite advantage in an active lifestyle due to their simplicity, and a change might be nice. I've got some questions though.

How inconvenient is it to go on a multi-day camping trip with contact lenses?
How easy is it for a contact to fall out? Is this something you can learn to prevent? Am I likely to lose contacts as a result of a jarring force like a rock climbing fall?
What's the ballpark cost for a year of contact lenses? I realize this is going to vary a little depending on features and stuff, I'm just trying to get a rough estimate of how they compare to glasses.

Dance Commander on

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've camped for 7 weeks with contacts. Just be sure you have a way to wash your hands well enough to be touching your eyes. And be sure you can put them in without a mirror.

I've never encountered a problem with them falling out, ever. The only time I worry, is when I'm swimming. But that just comes down to not getting water in your eyes. I only had the problem because I had longer hair at the time and after submerging myself it would all run over my eyes from my hair and catch me off guard.

They're quite cheap and like you said there are many crazy options available now.
    Like I believe they have some you can sleep in? (nice for camping I'd imagine)

I can't remember price off the top of my head, but I wanna say about 20 bucks a box for 3 weeks?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    1. It's not that bad if you have a place to wash your hands. Definately take a pair of glasses and stay hydrated, though.

2. It depends on the person. some people have looser eyelids, I suppose, but you can lose one from a jarring fall. Its still harder to lose a contact than for your glasses to fall off, though.

3. Depends on the contacts and how often you change them. I've known people who can go a year on what's supposed to be six weeks worth of contacts, while others have to change them out every two weeks or sooner.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only time I've had a contact fall out is when I've been rubbing my eyes due to hayfever. If your eyes get dry they can tend to stick and get a little iffy. That's easily sorted with some hydrating eyedrops. You can get them specially for contacts and they're cheap. I've never had a contact fall out of its own accord except if you put it in backwards. They stick pretty well.

I've got the contacts you can sleep in and they're great. Honestly, aside from hayfever seasons I rarely have an issue unless something else gets in my eye.

Then again, if you were going camping and were worried, just take a spare set and a bottle of the solution with you and you'd be fine.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Then again, if you were going camping and were worried, just take a spare set and a bottle of the solution with you and you'd be fine.
    And of course your glasses as well. I always keep mine in the glove box in case of an emergency.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nowadays you can get contacts that are made to be worn several days in a row without having to remove them at night. Your eyes get a bit dry sometimes but it's nothing that a few eyedrops won't solve. I've never had lenses just fall out and I wear them when running, rollerblading and playing soccer.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OK, people have really covered the functional aspect of contacts, the only thing I'll add is that if you're going swimming buy some goggles, and be good about washing your hands because good god do eye infections suck ass.

Cost breakdown:
    - Annual eye exam (because yes, you have to do it every year since your prescription expires, and no, the one you got for your glasses isn't the same) $100
    - Eight boxes (one year supply) of Acuvue Oasys lenses $275
    - Contact solution (avg one bottle/two months) $50
    - Rewetting drops, oh shit I lost my contact case, etc $25
    - An entire setup for traveling (oh yeah, teeny bottles for airplanes) $20

So, around $500 a year? Could be more, especially if you're prone to eye infections ($100 a pop for doc visit + drops) or if you have astigmatism or other special type contact lenses.

Also, if you choose to go with the daily disposable-type lenses, you're looking at about $700 a year for lenses, but you miss out on all the fun of solution and cases, so that brings the total around $800 for them. This is actually a really good option if you discover you're allergic to the preservatives in contact solution, but definitely more expensive than the 2-week version.

E: I'm just going to comment on the wear-all-the-time lenses - I've heard really really terrible things about them from my ophthalmologists. He also harps on me not to wear mine more than 10-12 hours a day because the surface of your eye needs unfettered access to oxygen, or else it'll develop scar tissue (been there, that hurts!)

Usagi on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm literally on day 2 of contact lenses. They're monthly lenses, and a year supply is going to cost me approximately $300 (less what the insurance covers), plus the initial $130 fitting fee. I was given two bottles of contact solution as part of the fitting that should last me approximately 6 months, so I'm not sure how much two more bottles will cost to fill out the rest of the year.

As for wearing them, they're definitely more secure than glasses ever are, though they're quite a pain in the ass to put in and take out initially. I'm sure that will get easier with practice though.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can get two-packs of contact solution for $5 at Target. Works fine and I have very sensitive eyes.

That can cut down on the cost of solution by a bit.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png