As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My vision is augmented [Help me pick my new glasses, H/A!]

S.S. Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I'm getting new glasses and figured that hey, more feedback is always good. I've got four pairs to choose from:
dsc1637z.jpg

dsc1639c.jpg

dsc1640.jpg

dsc1647.jpg

Thanks!

S. on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like pair number 2 the best

Usagi on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like 1 and 2

skettios on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you have to, #2, but honestly I don't think any of them are a good match for your face.

Esh on
  • Options
    KrubicksCubeKrubicksCube Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to go with 2 on this one

KrubicksCube on
    What I'm Currently Nerding To:
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    If you have to, #2, but honestly I don't think any of them are a good match for your face.

I honestly can't say I care for any of them, but #2 and 3 look the best.

And I approve of the subject line.

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Number 2 without a doubt.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Option 2 is the only acceptable answear.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd go with #2 but maybe you should look for frameless ones? I think they might fit your face better.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    I'd go with #2 but maybe you should look for frameless ones? I think they might fit your face better.

The problem is that he has a very rectangular face and those glasses are really rectangular. They just emphasize that attribute and it just looks...odd.

Frameless might be a good idea.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm not dead set on these four, so what kind of glasses do you think would fit better?

Is it the prevailing opinion that none of these four really fit?

edit: the trouble with frameless glasses is that the lenses for these are going to be pretty thick (-5.50 and -6.50) so that could be a problem.

S. on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    S. wrote: »

I'm not dead set on these four, so what kind of glasses do you think would fit better?

Is it the prevailing opinion that none of these four really fit?

Maybe something a little softer? All those harsh lines don't do you any favors.

Esh on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Of those options, definitely #2. It's not so easy to tell with the tilt and angle of your face, though.

Plus, I don't really think that style is great for your face in general. They don't fit you well.

#1 appears to be far too large for your face--the glass parts are too large for your eyes and the glasses as a whole extend too far across your face (they're too wide, so to speak).

#2 fits the width of your face just right and they seem to sit properly on your nose. The glass parts aren't too large nor too small (neither drawing too much attention to your eyes nor obscuring them).

#3 doesn't really work for me without the nose pieces... seems too cramped into the centre of your face, especially cramping your right (our left) eye. These might work better with slightly larger glass pieces.

#4 might look better with a thinner temple (side arms) or not red coloured--that's where all my attention went, and it wasn't really doing anything for you (nor working with you). I think the glass parts are shaped wrong for your face--they seem to tilt forward and have too much space at the bottom of the squares than the tops... too much of the bottom-heavy rectangle for your eyes and features, I think.

**when I say glass pieces, I mean the "holes" you look through. I should really know what to call them, other than the frames, since I've had glasses for years and years, but I don't.

Anyway, I hope that helped a bit, giving some reasoning for the quick bit of advice at the beginning.

LaOs on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    #1 doesn't fit your head. At all.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    For reference, here's how I look with my current glasses and my go to hair cut when I don't let it grow for no reason for 3 months!
    nyky.jpg

S. on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd say keep your current frames. They're the best of all 5.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I like them the best too, but the shop wants to charge 60 euros just to switch the old lenses out, while they have a pretty decent selection of frames for €1 (some special offer). If I got new frames I would have the old ones as spare glasses, too. Then again, now that I look at those four frames, I'm not real happy with any of them. They seemed to be the best fitting ones in the shop, but I'm blind as a bat without glasses so it's not like I could really tell the difference there - that's why I had those photos taken in the first place!

S. on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I agree with the others, 2 is the best, but try to find open frame glasses or frameless glasses. You say they're thick, but maybe even go with circular framed. The rectangular ones don't fit your face unless it's got a bold look to it like your originals.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I also think a bit of a curve in the frames would be good.

NotYou on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes you look best with something bold and thick-framed. I like #3 but check out some thicker dark plastic frames too.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The reason why everybody jumped on #2 was that all the others are the wrong size for your face. (1 and 4 are too wide, 3 is too narrow). You definitely look better with a thicker frame - being pale and fairly hairless means you need something bolder to give your face some character.

Your current frames are a great fit and look - you might look better going even bolder than that though. I'd take the measurements from those and go online shopping for something similar.

soxbox on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »

The problem is that he has a very rectangular face and those glasses are really rectangular. They just emphasize that attribute and it just looks...odd.

Frameless might be a good idea.

This was my first thought.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Another thing that might help is if you stop shaving your head bald. Try and find a nice inbetween that shaggy three month growth and a straight razor. You'll have a much easier time finding glasses that suit you.

Esh on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are you going to try on more pairs

if so, try on some horned rimmed glasses

Projeck on