As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Must-Have Scifi Shows

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sliders.

Sliders just makes me sad. Probably the most ruined scifi series I have ever seen in my life, making the prequel trilogy look acceptable.
    It's really good when you just pretend that it got axed the show before they kill off Arturo.

Speaking of Axed things, I really need to buy Earth 2. Probably doesn't hold up as well as my memories though.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I always saw Space: Above and Beyond as a Wing Commander TV series, it was pretty good. It went a full season before it was cancelled - I searched for years for the season on DVD, got it a while back, was so stoked then started seeing it everywhere. :P

I'm not sure it counts as sci-fi, but The Pretender is pretty great. I bought all four seasons a few weeks ago, just watched the first bit of season 4.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sliders.

Sliders just makes me sad. Probably the most ruined scifi series I have ever seen in my life, making the prequel trilogy look acceptable.

One of the final episodes of the X-Files had waltzing zombies. That show sank even lower considering what it was at its peak.

Is that old Alien Nation show considered sci-fi?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    B5 the whole series was on the amazon goldbox and I'm kinda pissed at myself for not getting it. I could use a nice long show to invest in.

It may have low rent production values, frequently shoddy dialog and worse acting but damn if it isn't my favourite sci-fi series. Plus it invented arc based TV series. Would certainly be top of my list to watch.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Amazon UK have the complete Babylon 5 collection for around $80. It's one of the only long-running sci-fi shows I haven't ever seen a single episode of. Does it hold up at all?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you can forgive the issues mentioned above you and make it through S1 then yes. The overarching storyline and character development are really good.
    That said, I've never seen the last season. I was just told to watch the final 1 or 2 episodes. Is the rest worth watching?

Glal on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    B5 especially seasons 2-4 are some of the best sci-fi TV made. Season 1 has its moments and its really important since it sets up 2-4. 5 was kind of wait were not canceled! Woo! 5 has it moments, aka anything with Bester.

Space Above and Beyond was a show that cut short so they kind of rushed the ending. Some of the best episodes in a sci-fi war show ever though. Had some amazing episodes. The Christmas one was is one I always remember best.

Also votes for Fringe, Lost, BSG and Dr.Who(the new stuff). Also if you like Dr.Who Torchwood was really entertaining and is kind of a spinoff. DS9 is pretty good as well. Oh and Earth:Final Conflict for the first few seasons was a pretty good show.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Torchwood series 1 was crap. So bad that I've never even wanted to watch series 2, despite some people saying it was good (other people say it wasn't, which didn't help).

Earth Final Conflict was ok fir the first season, but then they got rid of the main character and introduced a new one and the show changed completely and it was terrible. Then for the last season they got rid of the main villain and introduced a new one that made no sense.

Lost was fantasy, not science-fiction. Science-fiction has to have science, or pseudo-science (Star Trek), or at least pay lip service to the fact some kind of science is happening in the background (the new BSG). When it's all based on magic, it's fantasy.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Richy wrote: »
    Torchwood series 1 was crap. So bad that I've never even wanted to watch series 2, despite some people saying it was good (other people say it wasn't, which didn't help).

Earth Final Conflict was ok fir the first season, but then they got rid of the main character and introduced a new one and the show changed completely and it was terrible. Then for the last season they got rid of the main villain and introduced a new one that made no sense.

Lost was fantasy, not science-fiction. Science-fiction has to have science, or pseudo-science (Star Trek), or at least pay lip service to the fact some kind of science is happening in the background (the new BSG). When it's all based on magic, it's fantasy.

I have to agree with you on Earth Final Conflict. It had some potential but was then driven into the damn ground.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Richy I disagree with you on Lost. I guess the whole physicist who is obsessed with time travel. In fact the Dharma Initiative. The end, well if they haven't seen no reason to spoil it. But that is the only part you get it right I would say.

Earth Final Conflict seasons 2 and 3 were good even if the main character changed. Didn't stop it from being a good show. The end I said was bad didn't I?

I enjoyed Torchwood series 1 and 2. Each their own.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Richy I disagree with you on Lost. I guess the whole physicist who is obsessed with time travel. In fact the Dharma Initiative. The end, well if they haven't seen no reason to spoil it. But that is the only part you get it right I would say.

There were certainly scientist characters in the show. But that doesn't make it science-fiction. And in fact in the end
    it turns out the very thing they were trying to study scientifically was magic, and magic was causing all weird stuff on the island, and the characters' motivations were to protect/destroy the magic.
    Hence, it falls squarely in the realm of fantasy, not science-fiction.

For the other two shows, you liked them and I didn't, so like you said to each their own.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010

There were certainly scientist characters in the show. But that doesn't make it science-fiction. And in fact in the end
    it turns out the very thing they were trying to study scientifically was magic, and magic was causing all weird stuff on the island, and the characters' motivations were to protect/destroy the magic.

For the other two shows, you liked them and I didn't, so like you said to each their own.

We should argue this in the Lost thread but...
    Up until the end no one knew if it was science or magic. There was more sci-fi than fantasy. And ever heard of sci-fi with some fantasy put into it? Its an entire genre. So it was was sci-fi. It gets marked as sci-fi and the show for the most part is sci-fi.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Space: Above and Beyond is pretty good. Some great episodes, some stupid episodes, some plotholes but overall I dug it.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Up until the end no one knew if it was science or magic. There was more sci-fi than fantasy. And ever heard of sci-fi with some fantasy put into it? Its an entire genre. So it was was sci-fi. It gets marked as sci-fi and the show for the most part is sci-fi.

Meh, I gave up on the Lost thread when any poster saying they didn't like something or even that they liked it but assigned it a different interpretation than the official one was instantly attacked and ridiculed.

But all this is getting off-topic, so I'll drop it now.

For good sci-fi... no one mentioned Star Trek: The Next Generation yet. Seasons 1 and 2 were weak and it's completely episodic and has no story arc whatsoever beyond an occasional recurring character, but it's still pretty overall good.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Lets not ruin the thread with lost infighting.

I have to agree with Richy on Earth Final Conflict. Had a great concept and the first season was pretty good, but everything after that was horrible.

Meh, I gave up on the Lost thread when any poster saying they didn't like something or even that they liked it but assigned it a different interpretation than the official one was instantly attacked and ridiculed.

But all this is getting off-topic, so I'll drop it now.

For good sci-fi... no one mentioned Star Trek: The Next Generation yet. Seasons 1 and 2 were weak and it's completely episodic and has no story arc whatsoever beyond an occasional recurring character, but it's still pretty overall good.

If your going to go Star Trek I think DS9 is the superior series (and the next generation is not much cheaper then DS9)

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    :( No love for The Pretender makes me sad.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nova_C wrote: »

Well the original request was for space opera. I never watched the pretender, but I am pretty sure he did not fly in outer space (unless there is an episode where he pretended to be an astronaut).

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well the original request was for space opera. I never watched the pretender, but I am pretty sure he did not fly in outer space (unless there is an episode where he pretended to be an astronaut).

Ohhh. I missed that part of the OP and kinda went with the 'sci-fi' thing. My apologies.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ugh...I so wanted to like Earth Final Conflict. I loved the character of Boone and I really liked the idea of his scrill arm weapon/bio-engineered animal. It had such potential.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Ohhh. I missed that part of the OP and kinda went with the 'sci-fi' thing. My apologies.

I was going to mention Seven Days here, but A) it never really found its footing, and B) it's not space opera.

Well, technically Frank Parker goes into space. But only technically. Oh! The time travel device is alien-derived.

I'm going to start Red Dwarf shortly, seeing as it's available on netflix's streaming service. Why B5 isn't is unknown to me, and is deeply annoying.
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Sliders.

It's really good when you just pretend that it got axed the show before they kill off Arturo.

Speaking of Axed things, I really need to buy Earth 2. Probably doesn't hold up as well as my memories though.

Yay! Love for Earth 2 makes me happy. Have fond memories; need to watch it again.

Tamin on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Oh shit someone else liked that show? Hi5, my man.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sweet, Netflix has Earth 2. My weekend is going to be filled with awesome.

Tamin on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's available on Hulu if you're in the States.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Having just finished watching Firefly for the first time, I would definitely say it deserves watching. Maybe not owning, but definitely watching.

I'd wager the worship has to do with there being so little amount of show to love, as opposed to SG-1, for example, which arguably went on up to twice as long as it should have (though the "rebooted" plot with Mitchell and the Ori would have been nice to see out).

And I'll drop another vote for Futurama. It's animated, but it's a pretty darn good show.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Sliders.

One of the final episodes of the X-Files had waltzing zombies. That show sank even lower considering what it was at its peak.

Is that old Alien Nation show considered sci-fi?

As much as I like Alien Nation, the racism allegory gets tiring after awhile. It's like watching a whole series based on District 9 where they hammer in "Prawns = Black folk" every episode.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Series 2 of torchwood was better than Series 1, but still not really must-see TV.

Children of Earth, on the other hand, was fantastic.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

This is incorrect. The energy in the show wasn't magic. It was an electromagnetic anomaly that was interpreted by ancient people to be a 'magical' light. In the lost universe science interprets it as a quantum/electromagnetic phenomenon, albeit one not completely understood even by modern standards. It even has a defined power set.

Earth final conflict was such a shame. I'd always wanted to watch a story about first contact with an advanced species but yeah, as said after the first season they really dropped the ball. It wasn't even recognizable in the final season.

Lucid on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Ugh...I so wanted to like Earth Final Conflict. I loved the character of Boone and I really liked the idea of his scrill arm weapon/bio-engineered animal. It had such potential.

S1 and S2 were good. The main character change worked ok, imo. It was starting to show some cracks, but it was still good. After that though, it started going downhill. I don't know what happened there. And then 5th season was utter shit.

But yeah, such a great fucking premise. Could really use a BSG style reboot.

Andromeda was also a great premise, but that show was only ok from the start and went downhill even faster.

shryke on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

It's available on Hulu if you're in the States.

It's available on my dvds. :p

But seriously. Such a fun show. Convoluted storyline and episodic plots. I think the "mystery within a mystery" story style was ahead of it's time, really.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    shryke wrote: »

S1 and S2 were good. The main character change worked ok, imo. It was starting to show some cracks, but it was still good. After that though, it started going downhill. I don't know what happened there. And then 5th season was utter shit.

Andromeda was also a great premise, but that show was only ok from the start and went downhill even faster.

Andromeda on the second or was it third season had a good run for a while. It was entertaining though light. The blue chick was awesome.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Catalase wrote: »
    InHuman wrote: »
    Firefly? Firefly.
    This. And Serenity.

Also the new series of Doctor Who (2005 and onwards).

If you like SG-1, Stargate Atlantis has it's moments. Though season 1 is probably the best.

Bullshit. He must own all of it. Especially the parts with the scarf.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shryke wrote: »

Andromeda on the second or was it third season had a good run for a while. It was entertaining though light. The blue chick was awesome.

Andromeda introduced me to Lexa Doig, so there is that ;) ..I remember catching an episode for the first time and consulting the interwebs for the backstory. I liked the idea that it was Star-Trek-ish..but instead of humans being dominant...humanity was the aliens of the week in a way. Problem is...the show was nothing like that.

Which reminds me, if they're ever going to do another Trek series (and I hope they never do) They really should have an alien captain and make the series less human-centric. Hell they probably could have done a spin off series about Commander Shran from Enterprise and it would have been far better

VoodooV on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Firefly? Firefly.
    This. And Serenity.

If you like SG-1, Stargate Atlantis has it's moments. Though season 1 is probably the best.

It's been a long day, and I'm tired, so maybe I'm not scanning well. But, scarf?

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Schrodinger on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Firefly? Firefly.
    This. And Serenity.

It's been a long day, and I'm tired, so maybe I'm not scanning well. But, scarf?

baker01420x284.jpg

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I loved the hell out of that show when I was a kid (my favorite show of all time), so much so that I bought the DVD set.

The pilot is still great and there is some decent episodes after the pilot (including the series finale), but they are far far outnumbered by the outright terrible episodes. It was a literal grind to make my way through that DVD set.

edit: The show had 27 episodes in one season which is far far too many. The writers were so bankrupt for ideas by the end that they threw in an Elvis impersonator a good 40-50 years before Elvis was ever born and that was one of there better ideas.

Pete Hutter (and his piece) are still one of my favorite villians. They killed him off in almost every episode he was in only to have him in his next appearance give the most ridiculous explanation of how he survived.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Firefly? Firefly.
    This. And Serenity.

baker01420x284.jpg

Oh. Thought you were talking about Atlantis there. :P

Well he may be better off starting with the new Who before getting more heavily invested.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Firefly? Firefly.
    This. And Serenity.

baker01420x284.jpg

Oh. Thought you were talking about Atlantis there. :P

Well he may be better off starting with the new Who before getting more heavily invested.
    The new Who is a good starting point, but the older stuff holds up if you can adapt to the production values, and the series invented an astonishing number of cliches that became better-known through other series.
    Things arguably inspired by/stolen from old Doctor Who include The Matrix, The Borg, Skynet and an awful lot of random Star Trek technobabble, including the famous "reverse the polarity" nonsense.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010

Ooh, Earth 2. I remember liking that, but I can barely remember it.

It's a real shame that there aren't more science fiction shows. The whole genre is a pretty big gamble for companies, it feels like.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Ooh, Earth 2. I remember liking that, but I can barely remember it.

It's a real shame that there aren't more science fiction shows. The whole genre is a pretty big gamble for companies, it feels like.

Well it's pretty expansive to produce: you need sophisticated interior sets, exterior sets that look alien, and tons of makeup artists. And all that for a show that still suffer from prejudice as a "nerd's show", despite Sci-Fi's best attempts to make it sound cool by renaming itself SyFy.

Richy on
    sig.gif