As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Must-Have Scifi Shows

123457»

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    see317 wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Do people talk about the Farscape miniseries thing? Like, is there a designated cut off point where folks should stop watching that too?
    I liked the miniseries and the last season, while admitting there was a dip in quality. It helps that the thing I really liked - the main character's gradual descent into depression - is one of the things that most people hate.
    Spoilers
    Chrichton was a scientist who was becoming extremely depressed by the number of people he had killed throughout the series. I always loved this line from one of the last episodes:
    "Hi... Honey. Huh. Guess what I did at work today? I wore a bomb. A nuclear bomb in a field of flowers. I could get lucky. Tomorrow I could have a bigger bomb. I could kill... more people. Maybe they'll be innocent people. Children... maybe."
    I'm with Phillishere. The Farscape miniseries is not up to the quality of the series, but it's still good. It's definitely not out of left field like Serenity compared to Firefly; quite the opposite, it ties up the main plot points of the series nicely.
    Also, Crichton's descent into insanity was one of the best parts of Farscape. You can't just pluck a random human from 20th Century earth, put him alone in deep alien space, torture him and make him run for his life every day for four years, and expect it to have no psychological impact.
    If you want a good cut off point for Farscape, I suggest 30 seconds before the end of the last episode.
    When Crichton pulls the ring out, and Aeryn looks happy, turn it off.
    But then, I like happy endings.
    Don't get me wrong, the miniseries was ok, certainly better then the giant "fuck you, fandom" I was expecting from Syfy, but they tried to cram a full seasons worth of shenanigans into 3 hours, and it suffered for that.

Fun trivia: Farscape was actually renewed for two more seasons before network producers and executives started playing chicken with their programming, and the Farscape writers apparently intended those two to be the final seasons. They ended up having to cram the major plot points into the mini-series instead. At the very least we got a decent taste, though trimmed, of what they were planning.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Farscape was also amazing in how little fucks they gave in regards to tropes.

What's that? We need to do a clone/duplicate episode? Sure. Only they will be exactly identical, with no discernible difference at all to the point where they don't even know which one is the real Chrichton...and we'll let it sit like that for half a season.

• Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Just another shout-out for Babylon 5, I've been watching / thinking about that show for fifteen years now. Also, boo to the Sinclare hater. The only really stinky part of B5 was the 1st half of season 5 and that wasn't even anyone on the show's fault. As far as must-have sci-fi shows go that's all that comes to mind as well as Battlestar Galactica assuming you just pretend it was cancelled after season 3. Firefly is worth watching as well, but I would hardly call it a must-have. Good sci-fi on TV is an extreme rarity.
    My problem with BSG is that even though it's a well made show, I can't think of a single episode where I wanted to smile.

And that makes it hard to watch again, because I know it's going to lead up to several more seasons of constant depression. There's nothing to look forward too. Even "Stargate Universe" had more balance.

Shit man, that's what I loved about that show.

E^(i Pi)+1=0 on
    Love me.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hey, S4 of Galactica had a bunch of awesome episodes. Sometimes A Great Notion is one of the series best. (and probably it's absolutely darkest)

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    And even Troi's breasts...I was into them as a 12 year old. Even had a Star Trek card of her that got the job done. But looking back, that outfit (even in the early episodes) wasn't even particularly revealing.
    This goes without saying but the problem with Troi's outfit was that it was too revealing. It's just that it's silly that every single person on the ship wears the same uniform, except one person who wears a slinky outfit.

Lest I sound like a prude I'll add that when I bought Eyes Wide Shut I made sure it was the uncensored version.

Basically a movie/show shouldn't show skin, or cover skin up, without valid reason.

wandering on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Just another shout-out for Babylon 5, I've been watching / thinking about that show for fifteen years now. Also, boo to the Sinclare hater. The only really stinky part of B5 was the 1st half of season 5 and that wasn't even anyone on the show's fault. As far as must-have sci-fi shows go that's all that comes to mind as well as Battlestar Galactica assuming you just pretend it was cancelled after season 3. Firefly is worth watching as well, but I would hardly call it a must-have. Good sci-fi on TV is an extreme rarity.
    My problem with BSG is that even though it's a well made show, I can't think of a single episode where I wanted to smile.

And that makes it hard to watch again, because I know it's going to lead up to several more seasons of constant depression. There's nothing to look forward too. Even "Stargate Universe" had more balance.

Shit man, that's what I loved about that show.

I would say that if anything BSG's biggest failing is that it ended on a happy ending. I don't particularly have a problem with the way it ended per say, but I think them
    standing on the irradiated beach of original Earth is a much more appropriate ending that AND THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER UNTIL WE INVENTED STUFF AGAIN.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    E^(i Pi)+1=0E^(i Pi)+1=0 hellRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Hey, S4 of Galactica had a bunch of awesome episodes. Sometimes A Great Notion is one of the series best. (and probably it's absolutely darkest)

Is that one of the
    mutiny
    episodes? Cause that storyline was fucking awesome. So was
    Galactica falling apart
    and that's about all that occurs to me.

Love me.
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Nobody has mentioned Blake's 7? Classic 80's British scifi. Avon's still my favourite character of all- time.

The British (original) version of Life on Mars and its follow up Ashes To Ashes is pretty great television, though not really scifi.

One extra vote for Sapphire and Steel.

And I really liked the CGI version of Captain Scarlet :-)

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote:
    I don't like Bones because everyone in that show seems like an asshole.

But I do like Psych.

Psych is a good show.

But it is not a science fiction show.

I used to love the heck out of Bones. but yeah, everyone became insufferable pricks. Especially Angela, she can DIAF.

The whole "Bones is ridiculously smart, but socially inept" bit is getting old too and the writers seem to flip back and forth between "Bones is a robot" and "Bones is human" on a whim. You've got one episode where she can't seem to understand why Booth is upset about her telling everyone the sex of their kid before he knows, then the very next episode she's thoughtful and caring.

But as horrible and formulaic as it is, I'm a completionist so I'm stuck with it till the end. which is soon I hope.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    shryke wrote:

Is that one of the
    mutiny
    Galactica falling apart

Nah, it's the one right after
    they find scorched earth.

The first one you mention there is awesome too though.

shryke on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:
    Yeah, the first six seasons or so of X-Files are some of the finest television ever created. It's lack of legacy (which I'll go ahead and agree is an issue) is probably due almost entirely to just how far down the shitter it went after that. Kinda like Lost.

Even your most rabid fans tended to hate it by the time it was done.

That's how I felt about Battlestar Galactica. First two seasons = greatest TV evar! Last two seasons = huh??. Last episode = WTF??

Makes me happy for stopping after the second season. I adored the show for those seasons, some of the best TV I'd ever seen, though it was getting a tad odd. Then came the second season finale. I hated that so much that I couldn't watch the show for 3 years. I've since re-watched the first and some of the second season, but still can't see myself ever finishing the show. Especially since a lot of what I hear about it only confirms my fears of what it turns into.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    I'm biased because I'm a completionist. Once I start watching a show and get invested in it, I really have a hard time stopping no matter how much it sucks. (Smallville, Bones, Stargate (yeah accept it, the last few seasons, the movies, and the spinoffs sucked))

But you should finish BSG out. Yeah the overall quality of the show takes a huge nosedive, but as others have alluded to, there are bright spots, especially in Season 4.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    You know, catching up with the BSG commentary, I can't help but think that if they just had the final 5 be discontinued models, and not
    shryke wrote:
    shryke wrote:

Is that one of the
    mutiny
    Galactica falling apart

Nah, it's the one right after
    they find scorched earth.

The first one you mention there is awesome too though.

I don't think anyone saw
    Dualle committing suicide coming. That was by far a "Holy shit" TV moment, probably along with SG-1 burning Valla in oil (which of course they copped out on)

• Options
    The show has a few missteps but is generally ok till the Final Five thing. That's when everything goes off the rails. Mostly because it's obvious they had no idea WTF to do with
    Baltar on the Baseship but not wanting to show all the models yet.
    So they came up with some excuse that just got built into this huge mystery over time and then they just threw out a random explanation based off nothing.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote:
    Stargate (yeah accept it, the last few seasons, the movies, and the spinoffs sucked)
    Atlantis was pretty good, in my opinion. But that opinion rests mostly on having Rodney McKay and Zelenka in the show. The ensemble was excellent and likeable, overall, which makes it quite enjoyable to watch. SG-1 loses its mojo when the core team (which you've spent several seasons building a rapport with) breaks apart. Which is why Seasons 1-5 are great, Season 6 is a speed bump (You know, I actually LIKE Jonas, but I watched a bunch of Parker Lewis Can't Lose... he's not Daniel, though), Season 7 was excellent, Season 8 was fine, and then it nosedives after that (and again, I like Claudia Black and Ben Browder, but still...).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    The show has a few missteps but is generally ok till the Final Five thing. That's when everything goes off the rails. Mostly because it's obvious they had no idea WTF to do with
    Baltar on the Baseship but not wanting to show all the models yet.
    So they came up with some excuse that just got built into this huge mystery over time and then they just threw out a random explanation based off nothing.

It was the X-Files problem of wanting to keep the same mysteries playing out indefinitely and never having an answer in mind.