As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teach me the ways of the gaming laptop

ToldoToldo But actually,WeegianRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
All right, I know "gaming laptop" is pretty much an oxymoron, since the decent ones end up being 17" monstrosities that cause third degree burns should you actually use them on your lap. The only exception seems to be the Alienware m11x, which they've somehow managed to fit a Core i7 processor in. I have, however, heard both good and bad things about the m11x, and I have come to you today seeking guidance.

Is the m11x a good gaming laptop, is it a waste of money, and, if so, what should I be looking at? I am thinking about spending somewhere in the vicinity of $1,200.

Toldo on

• Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It depends on how much gaming on the go you're actually going to do and how big a deal it is dropping an extra five or six hundred dollars for mobile gaming capabilities.

I can't comment much on the m11x other than it appears to be made of sex; but most people would still be served better by a netbook loaded up with some easy to run classics and a gaming desktop.

When I customized an m11x to my standards it ended up being around $1500.

I can build a pretty good (not bleeding edge top of the line) gaming desktop without peripherals for around $700. Sometimes more, sometimes less if some components are on sale. With a beautiful monitor it'll bring the total up to about a grand.

A good netbook is going to cost somewhere between $200-300 unless Windows is absolutely a necessity to you, and even then you can still probably find something decent in that price range.

When it comes down to it for the same price you can get a netbook and build a good desktop with a kickass monitor, keyboard and mouse, and sound system for about the same price you can buy a gaming laptop for, and you aren't locked into one configuration. You should be able to upgrade it a few times to stretch out it's lifespan if you plan accordingly.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fagatron wrote: »
    It depends on how much gaming on the go you're actually going to do and how big a deal it is dropping an extra five or six hundred dollars for mobile gaming capabilities.

I can't comment much on the m11x other than it appears to be made of sex; but most people would still be served better by a netbook loaded up with some easy to run classics and a gaming desktop.

When I customized an m11x to my standards it ended up being around $1500.

I can build a pretty good (not bleeding edge top of the line) gaming desktop without peripherals for around $700. Sometimes more, sometimes less if some components are on sale. With a beautiful monitor it'll bring the total up to about a grand.

A good netbook is going to cost somewhere between $200-300 unless Windows is absolutely a necessity to you, and even then you can still probably find something decent in that price range.

When it comes down to it for the same price you can get a netbook and build a good desktop with a kickass monitor, keyboard and mouse, and sound system for about the same price you can buy a gaming laptop for, and you aren't locked into one configuration. You should be able to upgrade it a few times to stretch out it's lifespan if you plan accordingly.

The gaming on the go part isn't exactly what I'm lookingf for, but rather a gaming laptop that can be easily transported :P I'm currently using a 2007 MacBook, and while I can throw it in my book bag and take it anywhere, it's a bit lacking in the gaming department.

To be honest, I'd rather not go any bigger than 13", but most gaming branded laptops seem to be 15" and up. That's why I looked at the m11x to begin with. I've heard Asus has a decent line of gaming laptops, but I don't know where to start.

When it comes to peripherals, I've got an HDTV, a good mouse, and an OK speaker system. The computer itself is my chief concern right now.

Toldo on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are you planning on any specific games, or do you just want something that runs most games decently?

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    Are you planning on any specific games, or do you just want something that runs most games decently?

"Most games decently," I suppose. Decently plus, if that's an option. Some of the games I'm currently playing are WoW and TF2, but I would like a laptop that could run, say, Mass Effect 2 on high settings.

Toldo on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have heard wonderful things about the m11x, but it carries that "ewwww, Alienware/Dell" nastiness for me. I wouldn't touch a Dell with someone else's 10' pole.

I own the ASUS G51Jx-A1. I love it. It cost me $1609 when I purchased it, and I know it's come down some since then. So far it has run everything I've thrown at it at 1080p (or the highest resolution available in the game) with max details. Dragon Age, Bad Company 2, the APB beta, Lord of the Rings Online, Metro 2033... it all runs great. Also, mine has one drive bay, and it appears the newer ones have two which is welcome news (RAID array a-go-go). ASUS also has a great warranty... 2 years stock, with the first year covering accidental (so when your idiot roommate drops their soda all over the keyboard, it's covered).

I mean, honestly, even if you spend a little extra, I would do everything in my power to avoid Dell. Another one to think about is the Sager NP8690. It's a bit more expensive, especially since it doesn't already include an OS, but it's another phenomenal machine, and comes with a 3 year stock warranty (though no accidental coverage).

Edit: I just noticed Mass Effect 2 on your list there... I installed my wife's copy of ME2 and it ran absolutely smooth.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't understand the stigma against dell. I mean, god help you if you need to interact with their tech support, but other than that they seem okay. I have owned a couple dells, generally been happy with them.

ed: that being said, unless you have very specific reasons for needing a laptop (like, no permanent residence in which to maintain a desk), a gaming laptop is a bad idea. Less performance per dollar than a desktop, less ability to upgrade, more potential for serious hardware trouble.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    I don't understand the stigma against dell. I mean, god help you if you need to interact with their tech support, but other than that they seem okay. I have owned a couple dells, generally been happy with them.

ed: that being said, unless you have very specific reasons for needing a laptop (like, no permanent residence in which to maintain a desk), a gaming laptop is a bad idea. Less performance per dollar than a desktop, less ability to upgrade, more potential for serious hardware trouble.

I know. The only reason I don't want to get a desktop is that I travel a lot (internationally). I look into the Asus and Sager, though.

Toldo on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been looking at replacing my old desktop with a laptop as well, with some decent gaming capabilities. My rough goal is to have something that will run Civ 5 at reasonable settings, because I figure that will be about the end of my PC gaming development (my wife and I are working on getting a new little Omens into the world, and gaming won't be as much of a priority after that).

Specifically I'm interested in laptop video cards. I know a fair amount about processors and RAM and such, and desktop video cards, but the laptops are a mystery to me. Any advice specifically about them?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I have heard wonderful things about the m11x, but it carries that "ewwww, Alienware/Dell" nastiness for me. I wouldn't touch a Dell with someone else's 10' pole.

I own the ASUS G51Jx-A1. I love it. It cost me $1609 when I purchased it, and I know it's come down some since then. So far it has run everything I've thrown at it at 1080p (or the highest resolution available in the game) with max details. Dragon Age, Bad Company 2, the APB beta, Lord of the Rings Online, Metro 2033... it all runs great. Also, mine has one drive bay, and it appears the newer ones have two which is welcome news (RAID array a-go-go). ASUS also has a great warranty... 2 years stock, with the first year covering accidental (so when your idiot roommate drops their soda all over the keyboard, it's covered).

I mean, honestly, even if you spend a little extra, I would do everything in my power to avoid Dell. Another one to think about is the Sager NP8690. It's a bit more expensive, especially since it doesn't already include an OS, but it's another phenomenal machine, and comes with a 3 year stock warranty (though no accidental coverage).

Edit: I just noticed Mass Effect 2 on your list there... I installed my wife's copy of ME2 and it ran absolutely smooth.

After some research, I'm beginning to lean toward this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220688

Toldo on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gaming laptops are a really bad idea unless you are traveling a lot and a PC is out of the question. The performance per dollar is vastly different, and a gaming laptop wont last you nearly as long either. Also many mobile graphics cards are not officially supported by game devs, and the drivers can also be a big issue down the road.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Toldo wrote: »

I know. The only reason I don't want to get a desktop is that I travel a lot (internationally). I look into the Asus and Sager, though.

You won't be playing games on a gaming laptop very much when you're traveling. The battery lives are notoriously short. The one linked two posts above this lasts about an hour. Yay? Not to mention it will be heavy as shit, which defeats the entire purpose of a laptop, which is portability.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »

You won't be playing games on a gaming laptop very much when you're traveling. The battery lives are notoriously short. The one linked two posts above this lasts about an hour. Yay? Not to mention it will be heavy as shit, which defeats the entire purpose of a laptop, which is portability.

Ok, I understand the criticism, but that's not exactly what I'm worried about.

I'm more worried with having a computer that will remain in one place for months at a time (college dorm room, family's house), but be moved between those locations. I'm not looking for gaming on the road. Also, the laptop I linked is only about 7 lbs. That doesn't sound too bad to me.

Does that clear things up?

Toldo on
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Asus G73JH's are bigger screen wise than you are wanting, but the value is about impossible to beat. The one I have is a 17.3" 1080P screen, i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, DVD\RW Drive - you can get one with a Blu-Ray as well - 2 500GB drives, and a mobile Radeon 5870 and a HDMI out. I own one, and I can play pretty much everything out there smoothly. If you purchase the A1 or A2 it will come with a Razer mouse and its own carrying backpack. The A1 will run about 1650, and the A2 about 1550. There are a ton of other plusses about this laptop, but I will end with this one - I can play any game I own maxed out and the laptop barely gets warm. The vents are in the back and face up and out, and the chassis stays cool.

Noquar on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

That's the system I have, and I love it. My last system was a (now 4 year old) Thinkpad which, obviously, is rather old and a poor gaming rig. I loved the Thinkpad though, because it was well built, and I was looking at Lenovo again when I was upgrading this year. However, I've heard from folks that their build quality has dropped considerably over the past couple years, and are simply not reliable. This ASUS' build quality is fantastic, though. It does not have the steel frame that Thinkpads have (had?), but it is still solid. The bezel does not warp very much under pressure, which makes me confident that it won't just break when someone looks at it funny. The screen quality is fantastic. Sound quality is poor, but ignore anyone who says that's a strike against it... that fact is true of every laptop.

It does run hot, but the highest I've ever seen the cores run is around 76C, which is well below limits. I haven't had a problem with a single game, and no, devs don't have issues with mobile graphics cards anymore, particularly since the cards in decent systems are Nvidia and ATI. The problem is not the game developers but the laptop manufacturers, which is another reason I suggested the ASUS. The G51JX uses Nvidia's GTS360M video card, which Nvidia provides drivers for. Many times, video cards become an issue with laptops because the laptop manufacturers demand that card manufacturers not release drivers for their cards (another problem with Lenovo), so you have to wait for driver updates until the laptop manufacturer gets off their asses and makes their own version. ATI can sometimes take a long time to update their drivers, but Nvidia's mobile drivers are available the same day their desktop ones are.

Tiny bonus: the G51JX comes with a Razer mouse (not sure, mine was the Salmosa, but newer ones are apparently coming with an Abyssus), and a pretty decent carrying case (backpack style). At least it's two less items to buy. Get yourself a decent headset and you're good to go.

Your reasons for buying a laptop seem sound - you need something you can bring with you while you travel, not necessarily to use while flying. Sometimes you'll be ok to fly with it, depending on whether you have a power jack on the plane. But yea, battery life is about 1.5 hours, and that's typical of any gaming laptop. The weight isn't awful; I carry mine to and from school twice a week, and I carried it around PAX no problem.

And Dyscord: That's exactly why I recommend anything but Dell (well, not anything, but...). Their service is so awful that it's just not worth dealing with. If you ever have a problem, good luck. ASUS is pretty well known for their excellent service.

Noquar: I thought about the G73 too, but having an ATI card in a laptop, while still good, means possibly waiting a while for driver updates. Nvidia updates come out the same day as desktop models.

Edit 2: There are apparently a number of issues with stability on the G73's ATI card right now, particularly in regard to updating the drivers. Also the Creative EAX stuff is giving some folks issues, but the real things that gave me pause recommending it are the price and the size. A 15.6" may be big, but a 17.3" is quite a bit bulkier, even if it's only 1 pound heavier.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2010

That's the system I have, and I love it. My last system was a (now 4 year old) Thinkpad which, obviously, is rather old and a poor gaming rig. I loved the Thinkpad though, because it was well built, and I was looking at Lenovo again when I was upgrading this year. However, I've heard from folks that their build quality has dropped considerably over the past couple years, and are simply not reliable. This ASUS' build quality is fantastic, though. It does not have the steel frame that Thinkpads have (had?), but it is still solid. The bezel does not warp very much under pressure, which makes me confident that it won't just break when someone looks at it funny. The screen quality is fantastic. Sound quality is poor, but ignore anyone who says that's a strike against it... that fact is true of every laptop.

It does run hot, but the highest I've ever seen the cores run is around 76C, which is well below limits. I haven't had a problem with a single game, and no, devs don't have issues with mobile graphics cards anymore, particularly since the cards in decent systems are Nvidia and ATI. The problem is not the game developers but the laptop manufacturers, which is another reason I suggested the ASUS. The G51JX uses Nvidia's GTS360M video card, which Nvidia provides drivers for. Many times, video cards become an issue with laptops because the laptop manufacturers demand that card manufacturers not release drivers for their cards (another problem with Lenovo), so you have to wait for driver updates until the laptop manufacturer gets off their asses and makes their own version. ATI can sometimes take a long time to update their drivers, but Nvidia's mobile drivers are available the same day their desktop ones are.

Tiny bonus: the G51JX comes with a Razer mouse (not sure, mine was the Salmosa, but newer ones are apparently coming with an Abyssus), and a pretty decent carrying case (backpack style). At least it's two less items to buy. Get yourself a decent headset and you're good to go.

Your reasons for buying a laptop seem sound - you need something you can bring with you while you travel, not necessarily to use while flying. Sometimes you'll be ok to fly with it, depending on whether you have a power jack on the plane. But yea, battery life is about 1.5 hours, and that's typical of any gaming laptop. The weight isn't awful; I carry mine to and from school twice a week, and I carried it around PAX no problem.

And Dyscord: That's exactly why I recommend anything but Dell (well, not anything, but...). Their service is so awful that it's just not worth dealing with. If you ever have a problem, good luck. ASUS is pretty well known for their excellent service.

Noquar: I thought about the G73 too, but having an ATI card in a laptop, while still good, means possibly waiting a while for driver updates. Nvidia updates come out the same day as desktop models.

Edit 2: There are apparently a number of issues with stability on the G73's ATI card right now, particularly in regard to updating the drivers. Also the Creative EAX stuff is giving some folks issues, but the real things that gave me pause recommending it are the price and the size. A 15.6" may be big, but a 17.3" is quite a bit bulkier, even if it's only 1 pound heavier.

You've just sold yourself a laptop. Well, barring any unforeseen circumstances. I've heard bad things about ATI recently, so I'll be more than happy with staying away from them. Also, a 15" screen is the largest I can go--17 is just a little too big.

Thanks, all, I think I've made a decision.

Toldo on