As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Samurai On] Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes - Put your F-ing guns on tomorrow!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just the only things I know I've learned from Warriors Orochi. And references in anime. Any good sites for info that's not difficult to understand?

Is it possible to defeat Honda in this demo?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, sites, huh. I usually browse some wikipedia every once in awhile. There was a dedicated site to famous samurai, but I seem to have lost the link.

Honda is defeat-able. He always is, you just have to be very very skilled to do it at a low level.

Parry a lot to get free hits, try and get into a clash with him. Trick him into using his Basara and wasting it. Use Hero time and beat on him and then use Basara right at the tail end to get Super Basara.

It's tedious but do-able.

Just like Muneshige... which is another terrible/fun fight.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The demo for this is ridiculous. The yellow guy is constantly thrusting his abs around.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The demo was fun. I played it for a while, using Ieyasu. I flooded the things, had a ridiculous combo chain that was nearly 1000, and then got my ass stomped by the shadow cloning ninja guy. I really want to play as that Date guy I saw when I watched the first episode on Hulu, with his six katana, eye patch and that huge hood ornament on his helmet.

I'm kind of broke right now though, and I have a lot of stuff going on, so I will ask for it for Christmas I guess.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    1000-hits is just the tip of the iceberg.

You can look forward to 3,000 hit combos.

My highest is currently 8,423.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Chosokabe Motochika

Maeda Keiji

Some new gameplay videos for the English release.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Are there videos of Date?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Renzo on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't expect this to hold too closely to history

I mean, Keiji's sword is like wuuuuuuut

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I went and reserved this today. And bought Devil Kings. It is hilarious. There's a little girl named 'Puff'. I'm not sure exactly what historical character she's supposed to represent.

I decided to play as Masamune (Dragon) first. His opening movie starts with him riding on a horse, yelling, "Are you ready guys!?" "YEAH!" This got me very excited. Unfortunately, this game suffers from DW syndrome, where you play through 30 minutes of cannon fodder to wind up dead in an instant when a ludicrously difficult boss and a screen full of backup that gets in your way appear.

I was getting frustrated, after making it to the very, very end of four levels and only beating one.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I went and reserved this today. And bought Devil Kings. It is hilarious. There's a little girl named 'Puff'. I'm not sure exactly what historical character she's supposed to represent.

No one in particular, really. From wiki:
    Itsuki

* Devil Kings name: Puff
    * Her element is ice

A fictional character representing the Ainu tribe from Hokkaidō. She leads a rebel group for the sake of the peasants suffering due to war. She has a special taskforce wearing pink vests called the "Itsuki Fans Club" in Sengoku Basara 2. In Devil Kings, she speaks with a Southern United States accent. Wields a giant hammer.

A tribe that was almost completely historically irrelevant for the time period. (They only came to some recognition during the Tokugawa era for trading.)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I noticed all the weird snowmen and such in that level. Strange thing to arbitrarily add to the game.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, I think they wanted to add her so there was something for you to take over in the far north above Date.

Devil Kings is pretty broken as far as gameplay goes. You need to grind quite a bit to be able to do anything.

SB3 isn't really like that. In Extreme mode you do have to be smart about your playstyle, but you can just do whatever for the most part in normal.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This would be an awesome arcade game, but I don't know about actually buying it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's only gonna 40$, if that's any better.

So far, I've got at least 50 hours on my imported copy of SB3. Still haven't even really scratched the surface of what I want to do (weapons and stuff) and I'm only doing that on my main 3 characters.

Co-op play is a blast if you've got a friend who likes this kind of stuff. I've got a couple, so it's pretty great.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Online would have been nice.

I've sunk 100+ hours into DWG2, so I'm sure time will just fly away while playing this one as well.

I guess you can level grind in Free Battle mode in Devil Kings? In Conquest it's only giving me a few options on who to fight, and I'm averaging one victory per three fights right now.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, grind in Free Battle for a bit. Get some decent items and weapons and it shouldn't be too hard.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Devil Kings is ridiculous. You promise SBSH is easier? The demo is on like...Super Very Easy compared to Normal on Devil Kings.

I spent all night leveling up on Easy, and either of the two first 'bosses' in Normal immediately wipe me out if they ever hit me. That's when a random normal bad guy doesn't sneak up on me and combo off half my life.

And the archers...fuck archers. I had forgotten how much I hated them.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I grabbed the demo for this off the US PSN today, honestly I'd forgotten how awesome the Sengoku Basara series actually was and this has gone from "kind of sort of want" to "must buy day one, perhaps even import it if it is region free".
    While I'm in here, has anybody played the Samurai Warriors game on the Wii? It keeps tempting me with it's hack & slashy ways but I never pull the trigger on it for one reason or another.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Samurai Warriors 3 isn't out here yet in the US, so I don't know. It looks pretty good though. I'll probably pick it up later in the year.

SB3 is region free. I already have it.

Reynolds, SB3 is much easier. SB2 fixed a lot of things that was wrong with SB1 (Devil Kings) and SB3 fixes everything wrong with SB2. You'll have trouble if you dive into extreme right away, but I played SB3 on normal the whole time. I only touched easy to get a trophy once.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Are you ready guys?

Game is almost out!

PSYCHE UP!

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My guns,

They are on.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I beat Devil Kings with all the regular characters to unlock the extra ones. Then I realized I'd have to grind levels to play on normal to grind for more weapons, and stopped playing.

I am so ready for this game.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Reynolds, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Devil Kings was an abomination. If you made it through that, you should love this game.

You rode a broken, dieing horse, and now you get a motorcycle horse to rain death upon your enemies with.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've compared both Sengoku Basara 3 and Samurai Warriors 3, and I can honestly say this game is well worth the money. I'm working towards getting Nobunaga right now, still doing my first playthrough with Oichi. Samurai Warriors 3 is just slow to me, and somewhat stilted. So, if you've got a Wii, ya know, just play this instead.

Also get Sengoku Basara 2 if you have a Wii, you get the expansion and all sorts of great extras for what you spend on it.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I recently got Samurai Warriors 3 as well.

I've already stopped playing and went back to Sengoku Basara 3. It's just overall a better package.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There's something just inherently wrong about seeing Masamune with a gun and a saber versus the Engrish spouting badass that Sengoku Basara has. Koei may have made this formula, but I think Capcom just took it to where it should be.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually picking up the game has been delayed to the 13th. Unless it ships extra fast.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A shame, I was hoping some impressions of the U.S. voice cast would be up from some forum goers. I'd rather not trust in whatever reviews are going to be out there.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    The guys in the demo were pretty good. Of course, I love bad voice acting, from what people tel me. Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, Legend of Dragoon...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The voices are alright so far. A couple of them aren't that great, but I don't think it will kill the game.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Usually Capcom is pretty decent, but I've been horrified as of late just by how bad Samurai Warriors 3 dub is. Then again, I think Koei used their Z-team for that and just let the other guys go and do whatever the big next-gen title is for them.

I'm psyched for Masamune and Sanada's VAs though, I'm hoping they measure up to just how over the top the Japanese guys are.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    From what I've heard, Yukimura isn't as ridiculously hot-blooded as he usually is.

Date, I'm not sure. But he won't be speaking Engrish, so that kind of sucks.

HAVE A PARTY!

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fuck yes this is gonna be out!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A shame he won't be doing the Engrish, that's arguably his most charming thing during the various campaigns you face him. Hearing him go "REST INN PEACEU" is probably one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

Shame that Yukimura isn't hyper hotblooded, but then again Shingen Takeda is dead during the framing events for the main plot in this game, so that could be a large part of it.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Shingen being dead/sick is part of it. But there are multiple paths through, and his rival one with Masamune is pretty damn hotblooded.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, so I've seen. Just gotta love how over the top his screams get, same with Mitsunari. I just wrapped my second playthrough with Oichi, and she's pretty damn amazing in this game. Just a wall of flat out death when you start doing some of her specials.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Totally just preordered this beast, now I just have to be patient and not turn around and actually buy it on Friday when I see it in a retail establishment instead of waiting for my Amazon copy to arrive.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yukimura is voiced by JYB. So he's going to be pretty good.

His fight with Date in the demo had him screaming some pretty ludicrous stuff.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've heard Date is none other than Reuben Langdon, so we at least get a match up that was essentially DMC4 but in some weird feudal Japan that has Hondam and a motorcycle horse. Anyways, I hope you guys that are waiting until it drops stateside enjoy it, it's utterly fantastic in terms of what they adjusted from the last game. They may have cut down on characters, but the mechanics feel a bit different, and past level 20 you have four skills equipped to your character at any given time.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png