As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Samurai On] Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes - Put your F-ing guns on tomorrow!

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I picked up the demo of this.

I'm going to seriously miss Date's engrish, but I'm going to pick up the english version of this game because mitsunari's voice actor is so goddam good. He could split the world with his hate.
    I also can't tell any difference in quality between the two versions of yukimura, and I love the japanese voice actor for yukimura. JYB is so good!

You can get all the japanese cutscenes on youtube anyway, I noticed that when I was looking for gameplay footage.

I really wish you could get both, it's so annoying that they still leave out such a simple thing.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I kinda want a beat a shit ton of dudes game, and I'm wondering how this game is compared to stuff like dynasty warriors.

And by that I mean the less it is the better, though I'm not really opposed to dynasty warriors-ish stuff.

Deciding between this and Fist of the north star.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    So I kinda want a beat a shit ton of dudes game, and I'm wondering how this game is compared to stuff like dynasty warriors.

And by that I mean the less it is the better, though I'm not really opposed to dynasty warriors-ish stuff.

Fist of the North Star is pretty good. The only problems are the camera and the slow slow characters; you really have to set up your combos as opposed to just mash buttons.

Legend Mode plays like a weird 3D version of a 2D brawler if that makes any sense. But Dream mode is just plain old well known DW mode.

So how does this look on the PS3? Is it actually better looking?

Magic Pink on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It's more like DMC than Warriors in some aspects.

I like it much better than some DW games, that's for sure.

Also, FotNS didn't look that good to me. It's too slow.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I figured it would have been another ending route, the only reason I was confused at first is because there's no Nobunaga path shown on the characters until you actually beat him on Oichi's alternate storyline.

So after Mitsunari, I have played both Yoshitsugu and Kanbe. Both have the issue where normal killing is really tedious, but I'm sort of willing to overlook it since both can juggle bosses like champions.

Once you get Kanbe's suplex, you never look back.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    Holy crap. If the game is anywhere near as cool as the instruction book makes it look I am a forever fan-girl.

Oichi is rockin'. FINALLY I can live my dream of playing Amy Lee in a video game. Or Marilyn Manson.

Yoshitsugo has a BOSS outfit.

So how many accessories are there to unlock? Hundreds and hundreds?

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Accessories? There aren't any, really.

Just one alternate costume.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Accessories? There aren't any, really.

Just one alternate costume.

You so crazy. Accessories are the things you equip on your weapons. Says so on page 20.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    OH. That's what you meant.

Yeah, there are a ton. It's tough getting the later ones (the worthwhile ones) but most of the other ones are pretty easy to acquire.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    Glee!

I fucking love unlockables/collectibles in these games. It's the one thing Fist of the North Star completely lacks.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Good luck with a couple of them.

They require a bunch of items that you can only get by "Beating a level without taking any damage."

blaze_zero on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I'm playing the demo and I absolutely cannot beat Tadekatsu. What do I do, exactly? his Basara art just ruins me

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    So I'm playing the demo and I absolutely cannot beat Tadekatsu. What do I do, exactly? his Basara art just ruins me

Two things:
    1. RUN THE FUCK AWAY (I'm not kidding...)
    2. Bait his Basara attack and block it. Once he uses it once, he can't use it again.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010

Two things:
    2. Bait his Basara attack and block it. Once he uses it once, he can't use it again.

wow, that's a gigantic pain in the ass. You play half the level being chased by this dude.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010

Two things:

wow, that's a gigantic pain in the ass. You play half the level being chased by this dude.

Pretty much. When you actually have items and stuff, he's not so bad.

But he should never catch up to you unless you stick around too long slaughtering mans.

Also, halfway through the level, he'll stop and start shooting lightning at you. You can make him stop by capturing the "secret base" on the level. Then you get to fight him, but he's only got about an 1/8th of his health left.

blaze_zero on
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tadakatsu isn't so bad provided you can stock up on your Basara and your overdrive. At level 1 he's a huge pain in the ass, but I was able to take him down with Oichi at like level 3 so it's not impossible.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
    edited November 2010

Two things:

Pretty much. When you actually have items and stuff, he's not so bad.

But he should never catch up to you unless you stick around too long slaughtering mans.

Also, halfway through the level, he'll stop and start shooting lightning at you. You can make him stop by capturing the "secret base" on the level. Then you get to fight him, but he's only got about an 1/8th of his health left.

yeah I finished it, I just thought it was an awful way to attract people to the game. You spend maybe 5 minutes killing people until you have to run from Tadakatsu, and then when he finally leaves you have to dodge lightning bolts for most of the remaining time

I still like the game though, provided that's not par for the course.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    There's maybe one other level where you "run" from him. Although, by then, he's easy enough to take down.

blaze_zero on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yukimura's taunt is funny in the JP version.

"OYA." *squat* "KATA." *squat* "SAMAAA." *Squat*

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010

It's more like DMC than Warriors in some aspects.

I like it much better than some DW games, that's for sure.

Also, FotNS didn't look that good to me. It's too slow.

DMC sounds good.

To be honest, the appeal for FotNS for me is more in spamming special moves when I get them then going "ATATATATATA" or "Omae wa mo shindeiru."

Antihippy on
    edited November 2010
    Well, you'll be happy to know that there is one person in the game that goes "ATATATATATATATA"

Well, he does in the Japanese version anyways.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    It's not the same.

Also, I probably should check out the anime. Looks hilarious.

Antihippy on
    edited November 2010
    It's about as ridiculous as it gets.

Also, I think I heard that FotNS doesn't have Kenshiro's original VA anyways.

blaze_zero on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, you'll be happy to know that there is one person in the game that goes "ATATATATATATATA"

Well, he does in the Japanese version anyways.

He does in the english voice as well!

It's really not comparable to sengoku basara though. FotNS is really slow and deliberate where as Basara is super fast paced with millions of dude going flying every 10 seconds.

North Star has more in common with Streets of Rage or Final Fight to be honest.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited November 2010
    I haven't seen that guy in English, but by god is he hilarious in Japanese. Even though his stage sucks, I go there and fight him just to hear his lines.

blaze_zero on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are you talking about the guy with the little mustache, that has a fencing sword and an awesome counter move? He's also hilarious in English, yes.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is this related to Devil Kings?

Apothe0sis on
    edited November 2010
    Yes, this is the third game in that series.

Devil Kings is to Sengoku Basara as Power Rangers is to Super Sentai.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited November 2010
    Moses on a vespa, this game is FABULOUS.

Colors! Explosions! Mans!

I finished Date's mode last night and started on Yukimaru. I just wanna unlock Oichi as fast as possible so I'm playing on Easy which is hella dull but whatever. It let me beat Honda TWICE.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Are you talking about the guy with the little mustache, that has a fencing sword and an awesome counter move? He's also hilarious in English, yes.

Nah, not Yoshiaki Mogami. This guy is the one in blue with a headband and spear.

But yeat, Mogami is hilarious too.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    Man, Yukimaru is such a dork. I hate these voice actors.

AND FOR FUCKS SAKE why do these games keep interrupting the freaking over the top crazy action with these dumb dumb dumb in game engione cut scenes? Jeeze, they're just awful, they're not funny. Just give me a quick pop up message or something. DW does the same thing; I swear I haven't actually SEEN a cut scene in amy of these games since Dynasty Warriors 4.

GOD

Except the pop up meesages here are annoying too. Who was that souless dude who kept making those lame poems throughout the whole fight? Pop up poems which conviently blocked the spot he was actually standing in?

RRRRRR

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Uh... it's not that bad.

But yeah, they're there. Not getting rid of them.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    I'm just thankful I can skip them with a button press.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    That would actually be annoying if you couldn't.

Some of them are still fun to watch every now and then.

Like the one where you sneak up on Yukimura.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    Man, I LOVED the intro one with Oichi. Damn, she is just so cool.

So what the heck are Titles? I keep getting them but there doesn't seem to be any way to use them or see them.

And can I ever re-set officers back to level 1? Or basically just reset everything back to start but still have the officers unlocked?

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    Uh, I don't remember if there is a level reset in this one.

Titles are just achievements.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    I keep forgetting to ask...what's up with Fugitives? Two or three times I've seen the message pop up, "There is a Fugitive nearby!" But, I never see anything happen, and there's usually a message a few minutes later saying the Fugitive got away. I looked in the manual and it briefly mentions them and has a picture of a guy with a basket on his head. That's...not quite helpful enough.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fugitives will occasionally spawn during stages in a random spot and you basically have to hunt them down.

When you kill a Fugitive, they drop an item that permanently increases your stats (Attack, Defense, or Luck). There's a fugitive tied to every stage, and you only get the effect from each fugitive once. Meaning that you're able to get 38 boosts.

Also, the boosts don't carry over to other characters, so to get all fugitive bonuses on everyone, you're looking at 608 stages, at least.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
    edited November 2010
    Also, there's only 3 places in each stage a fugitive will spawn. I'm sure there's a list somewhere. I've only ever been able to find one and I didn't get to him before he got away.

I hate them.

Magic Pink on
    edited November 2010
    If you get the bodyguard Hanzo, he will put a marker on your map when they spawn.

He also increases the chance of them appearing.

blaze_zero on