As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Samurai On] Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes - Put your F-ing guns on tomorrow!

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just finished the anime and it's.... meh.

Is oichi as annoyingly useless in game as she is in the anime?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Uh, well, sort of? I mean, you play as her, so that affects everything.

But I guess she doesn't do much.

blaze_zero on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Went to see some gameplay videos and she actually looks pretty boss.

Hmmm.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited November 2010
    Probably the most broken character.

blaze_zero on
  • CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I kept putting off using Ieyasu because I couldn't stand his character.

Finally decided to just go through his story, and it turns out that his playstyle and moveset are just as bad as his personality. Since his unique attacks are all basically trash, it was nothing but charged normal attack chains + basara art. Talk about excitement. I can't even bring myself to do his alternate paths.

As for the anime, I made the mistake of watching it before playing Masamune. The English VA is just so... passionless compared to Nakai. I was sort of surprised how they handled the end of season 2 with
    Masamune defeating and seemingly killing Hideyoshi, seeing as that totally throws the main plot of the third game out the window if it's not Ieyasu that kills Hideyoshi. Will be interesting to see if the upcoming movie does a retelling with Ieyasu defeating Hideyoshi, or if it will go down a totally different path.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ieyasu is my favorite. I love bare-fisted brawlers in anything where everyone else has a weapon. Plus, he's wearing a hoodie! Double plus, power of friendship!

You can use his special attacks to infinite prettymuch any named character, you know? I wouldn't call that trash. And his charged super that makes the circle explosion is ridiculous for starting up a combo, or extending one if you have Hero Time up or the combo counter paused momentarily.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • CoercionistCoercionist Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I guess my main issue with him is that he just feels really clunky to me. His triangle attack seems to serve no purpose since it does little damage even at max charge and blasts enemies away to mess up your combo. Direction + Triangle feels really slow, and using a normal attack to initiate the second part is not only slow but makes recovery time disgusting. R1 and the R2 Light Pillar to me serve basically the same purpose, which is a 360 aoe, but even the basic charge time on R2 is sooooooooo long that you can only use it in those certain situations you mentioned. Otherwise the charge time alone will drop the combo count. The only skill that I think has merit is Ieyasu's L1 + Triangle, because it's great for combo count, and you can decide when to end the move.

I'm just glad that after his normal attack chain you can guard out of the recovery frames, since it's like a 2 second animation.

Although to be fair, if I used Ieyasu earlier I might have warmed up to him more. However, I was playing Yukimura right before, who is amazingly fluid. All of his moves can move into the next almost instantly, and each has a purpose at any point during a battle. I guess I just prefer the characters that have movesets that swing that way (Mitsunari, Yukimara, Masamune during Six Claws, etc)

Edit: I will give you that the hoodie is pretty sweet. Even in spite of the fact that AI controlled Ieyasu likes to put up the hood at terrible times, opening himself to get rocked.

Coercionist on
    Pokemon Black FC: 3653 9907 8515
    edited November 2010
    Ieyasu controls kind of frantic until you get used to him.

He's a beast once you do get him leveled though.

blaze_zero on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In the demo, I noted that Ieyasu's charge fist can be buffered while you are doing other things, like blocking for example. The animation also seems to have some interrupt immunity or something, because when I released it after blocking I would eat a single hti but Ieyasu would ignore that punk ass bullshit and send Yukimura flying across the stage.

I actually finished him with this, was sweet.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, he's got some super armor frames on that punch. A couple other moves have super armor too. I abuse them to hell and back.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    I actually bought the Ieyasu figure. He looks awesome, but I'm waiting to take him out of the box until I'm playing Sengoku again. I should take pics then...maybe he can fight some of my Ronin Warriors.

I'd buy more figures, but Date is always sold out. The only ones you can find are some of the really random characters I've never played as.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    So I just finished the anime and it's.... meh.

Is oichi as annoyingly useless in game as she is in the anime?

Oh, hell fuck, no. I just unlocked her Fruiday and the woman is INSANE. I have a combo with her that literally paralyzes any boss I fight except Honda. She's amazingly powerful, almost brokenly so.

Magic Pink on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I actually bought the Ieyasu figure. He looks awesome, but I'm waiting to take him out of the box until I'm playing Sengoku again. I should take pics then...maybe he can fight some of my Ronin Warriors.

I'd buy more figures, but Date is always sold out. The only ones you can find are some of the really random characters I've never played as.

BUH???

Is there an Oichi figure? Where??

Magic Pink on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I know Warriors Orochi is a different series, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread for what is essentially the same game with different characters.

Hanzo Hattori is broken. I killed Lu Bu with three combos.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2010
    Everyone is broken in that game.

EVERYONE.

blaze_zero on
  • ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So if I want to try just one of these crazy slash-up-all-of-Japan-or-China-or-whatever games, and I'm not particularly good at action games (mostly an RPG player), which one should I try? (PS3/Wii)

ystael on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Everyone is broken in that game.

EVERYONE.

Eh, actually Masamune Date is pretty lame, which I was disappointed about. A lot of the heroes just don't have combos that are easy to spam/unblockable

I love turning into a small god by the end of the campaign, though. it's delicious to kill an officer in one hit

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I fucking hate Kotaro Fuuma, but I need to unlock Hanzo as a sidekick. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited November 2010
    ystael wrote: »
    So if I want to try just one of these crazy slash-up-all-of-Japan-or-China-or-whatever games, and I'm not particularly good at action games (mostly an RPG player), which one should I try? (PS3/Wii)

Samurai Warriors 2 is a top choice then (although I think it's ps2/360). Don't get Samurai Warriors 3 for Wii, it's not worth it.

I would say Sengoku Basara 3, but it's very actiony.

Dynasty Warriors 6 for PS3 is alright, but I liked DW5 better.

blaze_zero on
    edited November 2010
    You could even try Bladestorm. It's more like an RPG, you have to remember what troops are weak to what other troops, and run around issuing commands.

The DW Empires games have a lot more strategy too, I've heard. Or Kessen, but good luck...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tried to find this today for PS3, and couldn't find it. I guess I need to order it online. :( I also just started watching the anime on Hulu and I'm enjoying it so far. If anything, it's just dumb fun for me.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's dumb fun for anyone.
    At least I really hope there isn't someone out there who takes Sengoku Basara seriously. That would be worrying.

Have a party!

Yo, Gentleman!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited November 2010
    Yeah. The SB anime is just crazy fun. If anything, it makes me pumped to play the game. Much like this does:

IT'S NOT OVA YET!

blaze_zero on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And yet this game is even more awesome because Tokugawa just punches people and doesn't bother with swords.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited November 2010
    I really love that the Shogun himself runs around uniting the country with his bare hands.

Ieyasu Tokugawa: In It To Win It!

Morninglord on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Yeah. The SB anime is just crazy fun. If anything, it makes me pumped to play the game. Much like this does:

IT'S NOT OVA YET!

I lost it at the eye lasers.

EDIT: Ffff I should sleep, but...one more episode...

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited December 2010
    I got my hands on this game yesterday.

I love it so much. TIGER TIME!

So much fun to rack up super frenzies. I love this style of action game. It's like a giant slightly more complicated bloody palace run, the whole way through. And each time I pick up a character I'm having a ball working out how they each work and how they each get the combos racked up. This is pure fun.

Morninglord on
    edited December 2010
    I'm glad you like it. I'm still trying to grind out all the trophies eventually.

Kind of slow going after I finished up everything with Masamune.

You see?

blaze_zero on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I kind of wish I had the japanese version for his hilarious engrish, but I wouldn't give up the english translations of the little titles they give everything for the world.

Plus the english voice acting is really fantastic. I'm thoroughly impressed.

Morninglord on
    edited December 2010
    I still haven't gotten a hold of the english version myself yet. I will probably pick it up when I get the chance though.

blaze_zero on
    edited December 2010
    I'm really happy with Ieyasu now that I've got him to 30. I was getting a bit frustrated that I couldn't figure out how to get a long combo going with him, but then I got his guard + triangle move and found out that you can mash square to extend it.

And by extend it you end up with "OMG I'm the motherfucking Fist of the North Star Yeah!!!!"

Morninglord on
    edited December 2010
    Once you get the headbutt with Ieyasu, you need nothing else. NOTHING ELSE.

blaze_zero on
    edited December 2010
    When do you get that?

Morninglord on
    edited December 2010
    I think it's his second super skill. You should get it around 40's or so. It'll go up to lvl.3 around 60 I think.

blaze_zero on
    edited December 2010
    Oh cool I've been playing all the starting guys up until I get to around 30 so I have at least one super art and all their normal skills.
    Purely because I enjoy trying them all out so much I can't stick with just one guy. Once I've done that I'll pick one, probably ieyasu or mitsunari, and finish his story. Then the next guy and so on.

How do I unlock new characters? finishing the story or is it special stuff in the campaign?

Morninglord on
    edited December 2010
    Just finishing story mode with certain characters. All starters unlock 1 new person for each. Then completing it with two unlocked characters gets another one.

blaze_zero on
    edited January 2011
    I've been playing this solidly for + 3 weeks now. I'm still unlocking characters and still learning cool new things about each characters moveset. Every character has something awesome. All of them have a technical trick up their sleeve.

Some of these tricks are laugh in disbelief at the awesomness. Actually, lots of them are.

Why does this game get no love. I'm tempted to throw up some vids.

Morninglord on
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I adored this game for the time I played it. Unfortunately, I haven't given it much love lately due to getting a PS3 for the holidays.

Still, some of the best money I've dropped for Wii thus far. I don't really know if I'd want to get it for the PS3 out of already owning two copies.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
    edited January 2011
    I love this game to bits. I've already finished up my favorites, though, so it's been a little slow going.

blaze_zero on