Battle Royale – Players Handbook
A) Battle Royale. The infamous ‘game’ spoken only in hushed tones, a rumored event that has more truth than one would like to believe. Many battles have been fought and many lives lost to The Program, and each time it is played the toll increases. A new tournament is about to start and the rules have been changed… do you have the wits to survive Battle Royale?
II) Participants Roles and Win Conditions
A) Players may now choose their own destinies in this game – no more random selection of abilities. At the start of the game, all players have the opportunity to take a lover or declare a rival. Some players might be lone wolves looking out for only themselves. All roles offer their own selection of special abilities to take to the game; even dedicated students have their own abilities to take. Upon signing up, PM your role choice to Ardor. If you wish to be a Lover, you may change your choice to lover upon a PM agreement with you and your partner. Once all players have chosen a role, all players are divided randomly into schools; roles that players select have no bearing on what school a player gets assigned to.
1) Dedicated Student – Play the part of an average student, dragged into the game against your will. While you may not have any extreme advantages over the rest of the field, together with your teammates or other allies, you may stand a chance of survival. Just beware of lone wolves and other possible traitors...
2) Lovers – There may be someone involved in Battle Royale that you cannot bear to be separated from. The relationship between the two of you will provide you with strength to survive the game as you look out for each other’s safety. But if you lose your partner, there may be consequences. A pair of players may take the Lovers role by mutual agreement in PM to Ardor. Both players must agree to this in a PM.
3) Lone Wolf – There are certain exceptional students who have no need for allies that will only slow their progress, students that are in the game only for themselves. Some students have been rumored to sign themselves or their own schools up for The Program just for the thrill. These dangerous players will not stop until they stand alone at the game’s end. These requests are granted on a percentage chance. If you are not granted the request, you will be given a Dedicated Student role.
III) Participant Rules and Mechanics
1) Players have a variety of actions they can take each day of the game. Daily actions have been split into two phases: Action and Movement. In the Action phase, players can search the area, make attacks against other players, or try to discern other players’ roles. In the Movement phase, players will have a number of different options, from regular movement, running between areas, or digging in ones defenses. Unlike previous games, players can act in both phases.
2) Normally, players may hold up to three items in their inventories at a time. Item management can be performed during turns, usually as free actions. Trading and dropping items will never take up a person’s other actions. Some items may be used automatically or as a free action, but others are required to be used in place of or part of a regular Action.
3) Players also have the usual voting abilities, but their effects have been slightly changed. Three types of votes are in place: one will mark other players with a reward for elimination, another will drop a bonus item into a selected zone, and the last will select zones for closure.
B) Free Actions
1) Manage Inventory – You may pick up items you find in an area or drop them from your held inventory. You will have exclusive control of these items until the end of the day – nobody will be able to find or take items not in your possession until then. However, items that are not in your inventory at the end of the day may be lost to other players even if you remain in the zone.
2) Use Item – Certain items are freely usable, taking no regular action time to execute. See specific item descriptions for details.
3) Trade Item – Items may be traded between players freely or given from one player to another. To make a trade, one player should PM their trade partner and Ardor the details of the deal (what items are being given/traded). The second player should verify the trade to Ardor and the original player. When both players have agreed to the trade, consider it done.
C) Action Phase – In the Action Phase, players choose one of the following actions: (Default is Defend)
1) Attack – The most basic action, you will Attack a target with a selected weapon or default unarmed attack; some weapons provide multiple hit attempts that can be distributed between multiple targets. Every attack has a certain probability of success depending on weapon type, equipment, and abilities. Each hit attempt has a maximum hit chance of 95% and minimum hit chance of 5%. Attacks are normally resolved in the order of Ranged first, Melee second, and Explosives last; this may be modified depending on zone. If you kill your opponent, you will take their items, as long as you don’t move out of the zone. Otherwise, you will take as much as you can carry randomly from their inventory and move as normal.
2) All-Out Attack – For those who want to aggressively hunt their foes, the All-Out Attack will allow players to make 50% more hit attempts, rounded up. For example, an attack with one hit per round normally (including the default attack) will make two hit attempts instead; an attack with three hits per round normally will make five hit attempts instead. One-use items cannot be used with an All-Out Attack action. All attacks made during an All-Out Attack suffer a -10% Hit Penalty. If you make an All-Out Attack, you may not make a Run or Hold Ground action in the Movement Phase; you may only Move or take no action in that phase.
3) Set Trap – This special action allows you to set up a Trap from your inventory in your current area. Since this will take time and concentration, you will be unable to make a Run action in the Movement Phase.
4) Use Item – Other items that cannot be used in a free action may be used in the Action Phase.
5) Defend – If you need to defend against an attack, the Defend action will allow you to increase your chances of avoiding attacks. You gain a -10% Dodge Bonus against all attacks made against you.
6) Cover – You can also defend other people from attacks with a Cover action. Any attacks made against a specified target will instead be directed against you. You gain a -15% Dodge Bonus against all attacks made against you or your target. Two (or more) players may Cover each other to essentially Defend themselves with a -15% Bonus rather than the -10% Bonus of the regular Defend action.
7) Search – With a Search action, you attempt to find useful items that may be hidden within an area. You will also have a higher chance of obtaining any dropped items other players have left behind and a higher chance of obtaining Reward Vote items, by counting yourself as if you were two players.
8) Analyze – You may investigate your fellow players with an Analyze action. The specified target’s role and school will be learned, though specifics about their health and special abilities will remain hidden. You will also learn what concealed items that player may be carrying. You will also gain a -20% Dodge Bonus against that specific player’s attacks against you, but not against other players’ attacks.
9) Heal – You may yourself or another player in the same zone 1 Health Point (cannot exceed maximum). Since this will take time and concentration, you will be unable to make a Run action in the Movement Phase when using a Heal action.
D) Movement Phase – In the Movement Phase, players choose one of the following actions:
1) Move – The basic movement action, you will Move either one or two areas. When making a Move action, be sure to note the route you are taking. If you are making an Attack, All-Out Attack, Cover, or Analyze action, you may attempt to follow a target if they move, and will follow as closely as possible – if they do not move, then you will not move either. If your target is Running three or more zones, you will end up in the second zone they move to.
2) Run – If moving is not enough, you can Run extended distances to evade enemies, up to five zones in total. However, to move long distances you need a lightened inventory: if you are holding a full inventory of three items, you must drop something to use this action. Please specify the number of zones you will be running and what you plan on dropping if necessary. Make sure you also declare the route you are taking. During a Run action, you also gain a -10% Dodge Bonus against all attacks. If you are making an Attack, Cover, or Analyze action, you may attempt to follow a target if they move, and will follow as closely as possible – if they do not move, then you will not move either. If they move less than your maximum follow distance you will only drop an item if it is necessary to chase, and if your target moves two or fewer zones, you will not drop any items. You may not make a Run action if an All-Out Attack, Set Trap, or Heal action was taken in the Action Phase.
3) Hold Ground – If you do not wish to move, you can make a Hold Ground action to boost your defensive capabilities. You gain a -20% Dodge Bonus against all attacks made against you in the Attack Phase. You may not make a Hold Ground action if an All-Out Attack action was taken in the Action Phase.
E) Voting Phase
1) Vote for Marking – Vote someone to be marked for elimination by voting for them in bold red. The player with the most votes at the end of the day will be marked for elimination by the other players: the player that eliminated the marked player will win a random item as a reward. In the case of multiple players simultaneously taking the bounty, the reward will randomly go to one of the players. If there is a tie in the vote, multiple players may be marked.
2) Vote for Zone Closure – Vote for zones on the island to be closed be voting for them in bold yellow. The zones with the most votes will be shut down the following day, and no travel will be allowed in those zones for the rest of the game. Moving through or stopping in a closed zone will result in death! Be sure to move if the zone you’re in is about to close. The number of zones that close each night is dependent on the number of players remaining, usually one or two each night.
3) Vote for Reward – Vote for a zone to have a bonus item be dropped into it by voting in bold lime. The zone with the most votes will have a reward item dropped into it, and be recovered by a random student occupying that zone. Only one package will be dropped on any given night.
4) NOTE! You are not required to vote for anything. Inactivity is punished by fellow students and/or zone closings.
F) Order of Actions
1) All Free Actions happen before any other actions are resolved.
2) Action Phase actions are resolved with Use Item and Heal first, followed by Attacks and All-Out Attacks simultaneously, finishing with the Set Trap, Search, and Analyze actions. Attacks are resolved in the order of Ranged, Melee, and Explosives, except when the area changes this order, or if certain items supersede the order.
3) Movement Phase actions are resolved simultaneously.
4) Vote results are carried out.
IV) Areas of the Island
A) Island Map
B) Island History
1) The island being used for this Program is home to an abandoned boot camp. While it was in operation, the facilities were used for a variety of purposes, including the testing of weapons and explosives of all kinds. Its isolated location was perfect for secrecy, but once it was not needed for military uses, the base was abandoned and the island became devoid of and human presence. Once the Program was started, plans were made to use the island as a staging location. The same isolation that made the island a good place for the military now makes for a place where Battle Royale can be played without disruptions.
C) Area Details
1) Landing Strip (Zone 1) – The old, abandoned air strip has a fallen building probably used for flight control and can be described as flat and unforgiving. Explosive Attacks have a +10% Hit Bonus in this area.
2) Crevasse (Zone 2) – Not much is known about this area other than the hazards associated with poor footing and rough terrain. Not to mention the dangerous crevasse running through it. Melee Attacks have a +5% Hit Bonus in this area.
3) Forest (Zone 3) – This forest seems more dense than the forests back at home. Still, it might not be a bad place to hide. Melee Attacks go before Ranged attacks in this area. Ranged attacks also have a -10% Hit Penalty.
4) Beach (Zone 4) – A large expanse of beach. Ranged Attacks have a +10% Hit Bonus in this area.
5) The Septagon (Zone 5) – Much of the activity on the base were focused around the training complex known as The Septagon where living quarters and training facilities were once located, now fallen into ruin. Explosive Attacks have a +5% Hit Bonus in this area.
6) Cliffs (Zone 6) – The cliffs represent steep hills on the side of the island which ends in a sheer cliff leading down to the open waters. Ranged Attacks have a +5% Hit Bonus in this area.
7) Field (Zone 7) – A large field occupies this area. Ranged Attacks have a +10% Hit Bonus in this area.
V) Items in the Game
A) Melee Weapons
1) Unarmed Melee – If you hold no weapons, you can still make a default unarmed attack against one player with a base hit chance of 50%, dealing [1 (50%) / 2 (50%)] damage. (Average: 0.75 damage/attack)
2) Fire Axe – The axe can be swung once each day at one player with a 60% base chance to hit. A hit deals [2 (40%) / 3 (60%)] damage. (Average: 1.56 damage/attack)
3) Sledgehammer – The hammer can be swung once each day at one player with a 50% base chance to hit. A hit deals [3 (40%) / 4 (60%)] damage. (Average: 1.8 damage/attack)
4) Brass Knuckles – Brass Knuckles allow for one additional attack to be made per day using the Unarmed Melee statistics.
5) Knife – The knife can be slashed three times each day at one or multiple targets at a 60% base chance to hit with each swing. Each hit deals [1 (70%) / 2 (30%)] damage. (Average: 0.78 damage/attack)
6) Baseball Bat – The bat can be swung twice each day at one or multiple targets at a 70% base chance to hit with each swing. Each hit deals [1 (20%) / 2 (80%)] damage. (Average: 1.26 damage/attack)
7) Metal Pipe – The pipe can be swung twice each day at one or multiple targets at a 70% base chance to hit with each swing. Each hit deals [1 (20%) / 2 (60%) / 3 (20%)] damage. (Average: 1.4 damage/attack)
8) Switchblade – The switchblade can be used twice per day against one or multiple targets at a 60% base chance to hit with each swing. Each hit deals [1 (70%) / 2 (30%)] damage. The Switchblade is always concealed from view (except with an Analyze action against you). (Average: 0.78 damage/attack)
B) Ranged Weapons
1) Handgun – The basic Handgun can be fired up to three times per day at one or multiple targets at a 60% base chance to hit with each shot. Each hit deals [1 (20%) / 2 (60%) / 3 (20%)] damage. There are a total of 12 bullets in the magazine. (Average: 1.2 damage/attack)
2) Revolver – The classic Revolver can be fired up to two times per day at one or multiple targets at a 60% base chance to hit with each shot fired. Each hit deals [2 (40%) / 3 (40%) / 4 (20%)] damage. This weapon comes with 6 bullets. (Average: 1.68 damage/attack)
3) Shotgun – The powerful Shotgun can be fired up to two times per day at one or multiple targets at a 60% base chance to hit with each shot fired. Each hit deals [2 (20%) / 3 (60%) / 4 (20%)] damage. This weapon comes with 8 cartridges. (Average: 1.8 damage/attack)
4) Rifle – The deadly and accurate Rifle can be fired up to two times per day at one or multiple targets at a 70% base chance to hit with each shot. Each hit deals [2 (20%) / 3 (40%) / 4 (40%)] damage. This weapon comes with 8 bullets. (Average: 2.24 damage/attack)
5) Uzi – The rapid-fire Uzi can be fired up to ten times per day at one or multiple targets at a 40% base chance to hit with each shot. Each hit deals [1 (20%) / 2 (60%) / 3 (20%)] damage. This weapon comes with 30 bullets in the magazine. (Average: 0.8 damage/attack)
6) Crossbow – The Crossbow can be fired up to two times per day at one or multiple targets at a 60% base chance to hit with each shot. Each hit deals [1 (20%) / 2 (60%) / 3 (20%)] damage. This weapon comes with 8 bolts. (Average: 1.2 damage/attack)
1) Molotov Cocktail – Toss this at a target in your zone for a 70% base chance of dealing [2 (30%) / 3 (30%) / 4 (40%)] damage. Any players attacking or being attacked by that player in Melee (excepting yourself) also take a 40% base chance of suffering [1 (50%) / 2 (30%) / 3 (20%)] collateral damage. The Molotov Cocktail is used up after being thrown. (Average: 2.17 damage/attack, 0.68 damage/attack collateral)
2) Grenade – Toss this at a target in your zone for a 70% base chance of dealing [3 (10%) / 4 (30%) / 5 (30%) / 6 (30%)] damage. Any players attacking or being attacked by that player in Melee (excepting yourself) also take a 50% base chance of suffering [2 (20%) / 3 (50%) / 4 (20%) / 5 (10%)] collateral damage. The Grenade is used up after being thrown. (Average: 3.36 damage/attack, 1.6 damage/attack collateral)
3) Flamethrower – This item activates in the Melee Attack Phase. Fire this at a target in your zone for a 60% base chance of dealing [3 (20%) / 4 (30%) / 5 (30%) / 6 (20%)] damage. Any players targeting you or your target in Melee also take a 60% base chance of suffering [2 (20%) / 3 (20%) / 4 (40%) / 5 (20%)] collateral damage. The Flamethrower has enough fuel for two volleys. (Average: 2.7 damage/attack, 2.16 damage/attack collateral)
4) Smoke Grenade – This item activates at the start of the Action Phase, before all other attacks. Throw this at a target in your zone for a 70% base chance of negating their Action Phase actions for the night. If caught, they also suffer [0 (50%) / 1 (50%)] damage from smoke inhalation. Any players attacking or being attacked by that player in Melee (excepting yourself) also suffer a 50% base chance of having their Action Phase negated and [0 (50%) / 1 (50%)] collateral damage. The Smoke Grenade is used up after a single use. (Average: 0.35 damage/attack, 0.25 damage/attack collateral)
1) Poison Vial – You may attempt to poison another player in your zone, dealing [3 (10%) / 4 (10%) / 5 (40%) / 6 (40%)] damage. There will be an unmodifiable 100% chance of affecting your target unless you are a target of their Attack or Analyze action, in which case the attack automatically fails. A Poison Vial is used up after each attempted use. Poison Vials do not count against your carrying capacity. The Poison Vial is always concealed from view (except with an Analyze action against you). (Average: 5.1 damage/hit)
2) Land Mine – You can set up a Land Mine on the path between your current zone and an adjacent zone (you need not move along that path to set the trap). Any player moving along that route has a 50% chance of triggering the trap, taking [4 (20%) / 5 (40%) / 6 (40%)] damage and stopping their movement for the night (ending their move in the zone the trap was set). Only one person will be hit by the trap, after which it is used up. The Land Mine is removed from your inventory after it is set. (Average: 5.2 damage/hit)
3) C-4 – Plastic explosive with a timer. When setting C-4, specify a day for it to go off. This may be the same day as when the C-4 charge is set. At the end of the Movement Phase of that day, the set C-4 will explode, with an unmodifiable 80% chance of hitting any person in that zone. Each person hit will suffer [3 (10%) / 4 (40%) / 5 (30%) / 6 (20%)] damage. The C-4 is removed from your inventory after it is set. (Average: 3.68 damage/attack)
E) Defensive Items
1) Metal Pot Lid – This item negates the first hit by a Melee Weapon each day.
2) Bulletproof Vest – This item negates the first two points of damage against all hits by Ranged Weapons except Crossbows.
3) Camouflage – This item provides a -15% Dodge Bonus against all attacks while worn.
4) First Aid Kit – This item may be used with a Heal action in the Action Phase to heal either you or another player in the same zone up to 2 Health Points of damage instead of just 1 (still cannot exceed maximum). The First Aid Kit is used up after use.
F) Support Items
1) Backpack – You may store up to two items inside a Backpack, concealing them from view (except against an Analyze action used on you). However, items stored in a Backpack cannot be used while stored – be sure to note what items are equipped and which are stored each day. Items contained inside a Backpack do not count against your carrying capacity.
2) Binoculars – The Binoculars allow you to see the players in the zones adjacent to yours. This is a free action provided with your nightly results.
3) Deactivator – This item is used with the Use Item action of the Action Phase. Your collar will be deactivated, allowing you to potentially escape from the island. You may use the device twice before it breaks down.
4) Megaphone – This item is used with the Use Item action of the Action Phase. The Megaphone distracts all players in the zone, giving a -10% Hit Penalty with their attacks. A player will not be subject to the hit penalty on consecutive days.
5) Tracking Unit – The Tracking Unit gives you the option of learning how many players are in each zone or learning the location of a specific player. The first option will be chosen by default; be sure to specify if you are performing the second option with your daily actions. Use of the unit is a free action provided with your nightly results.
G) Gimmick Items
1) Paper Fan – Accurate, but not so powerful comedy device. The Paper Fan is used as a Melee Weapon and has a 100% base chance of hitting a single target for [0 (50%) / 1 (50%)] damage. (Average: 0.5 damage/attack) This weapon also gives you a +5% dodge bonus against other melee weapons due to it being light-weight and flexible.
2) Paintball Gun – Not powerful or accurate, the Paintball Gun can still be used to mark opponents, reducing their ability to avoid attacks. The gun is used as a Ranged Weapon and can be fired up to five times per day at one or multiple targets at a 40% base chance to hit with each shot. A person hit by a paintball suffers a +5% Dodge Penalty against all attacks and any bonuses from wearing Camouflage are negated for the following day.
3) Headband – Focus your energy by wearing a patterned headband. Equip the Headband to gain a +5% Hit Bonus with all weapons, but also suffer a +5% Dodge Penalty against all attacks. The Headband does not count against your carrying capacity and can be worn optionally.
4) Pretty Ribbon – Just wearing it makes you feel more graceful. Equip the Pretty Ribbon to gain a -5% Dodge Bonus against all attacks, but also suffer a -5% Hit Penalty with all attacks you make. The Pretty Ribbon does not count against your carrying capacity and can be worn optionally.
Please !Sign Up
if you wish to play. The game will have a Day 0 for various preparations once roles have been assigned, including the choosing of a starting location and bonuses. The game will end once Day 7 has concluded at the very latest.
I'm looking for up to 20 people to participate. While there is a lot of information here, it doesn't take very long to play the game once you're in it. I'll put a sign up list along with a list of narrations in the post following this.
Rivals – There may also be someone on the island that you have an antagonistic relationship with. Whatever the reason, they’ve been in your way, and Battle Royale is the best opportunity for you to make sure they don’t interfere with you again. Be resolute in fulfilling your mission and you may benefit from your efforts.
1) All players may choose to take on a single Rival.
2) Win Conditions – in addition to your normal win conditions, you cannot win unless your Rival is eliminated or escapes. If your Rival ends up on the same team as you, then the team cannot win unless the rivalry is resolved somehow.
3) Special Abilities – In addition to your normal skills, you have a +10% Hit Bonus to hit your Rival with any attack. If you are the one to kill your Rival, one ability may be chosen from the following list:
a) Battle Proficiency – Gain a +5% Hit Bonus with all weapons.
b) Evasion Proficiency – Gain a -5% Dodge Bonus against all attacks.